Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
eobet

Before I buy: All character art is placeholder, right?

Just saw this on Steam, but boy... it looks rough.

I'm sorry, but I see none of the charm of the characters from Red's adventure, none of the charm from Startopia (still the king of the genre), not even any of the charm from Theme Hospital or Dungeon Keeper.

I mean, I love this genre so I want in, but I just have to know: All character art and animation is placeholder... right? ...please?

Yeah i like the art as well, im not sure what you are expecting ?.

You wanna see basic art? go check out Prison Architect.

This here game is miles MILES beyond.

Sure it can be improved, obviously. and im sure it will come as the money start going in and project funding itself.

But it think they are pretty damn nice.

???

I think the art looks great. They are obviously still working on it, so I imagine there will be touch ups and tweaks, but I think it looks fine. If I had anything critical to say about it, it would be that the artwork Bagel did for the prototype was super cute, and I do miss the Bagel flavor. But this revised art (and isometric now?! sweeeet!!!) is not bad at all.

The animation of the characters perhaps looked a little stiff, somewhat exacerbated by the way items instantly pop in/out of characters' hands so frequently, but considering that it's a sim and the player will be more globally-minded for most of the experience, that isn't really that important. A+ if they actually do brush that stuff up, but for a large-scale sim it's not super important to have incredibly detailed art/animation on every little character. In fact, economically speaking, that's probably a bad idea.

Anyway, art looks fine.

I came here with a similar question as OP. The HUD features are pretty slick but the sprites are a little... well I agree with rough.

It's interesting. I was a little down on the art when watching the trailer, but once I bought the game and played it I thought it looked pretty good. I reviewed the trailer and it didn't seem so bad to me the second time. Make of that what you will, I don't have the brain power at the moment to analyse why that might be.

I fail to see an issue. What exactly you don't like, character models or their portraits? Models could be improved, sure, by adding some jetpack effects to spacesuits and stuff like that may be adding more personality to them, but if you reffer to portraits... you are just crazy.

I don't think you should consider the art to be placeholder, no. I'm quite happy with it in the vein of other retro-styled games that have come out in recent years.

The characters look great to me. Animation could use a little polish, and some AA to clear the jaggies would be nice, but other than that I'd say they look terrific.

Sign in to follow this