Sign in to follow this  
RMJ

Room ideas

Gym

Lots of machines and equipment for excercises.

Brig.

Where the security officer holds up and will put anyone who makes trouble.

Nature dome

Place where there is grass on the floor, tree's, bushes, maybe even animals. not only to make / recycle air, but also a place for people to relax and spend time off.

Medical bay.

Where injured and or sick staff gets taken and get treated.

Kitchen.

Where people go and eat actual food, pub is more just a place to party and get drunk.

School / library area where your 4 star worker could help teach other people in that profession, could cost money or something to offset as a choice instead of having 1 star having to spend to much time to get up to speed.

Different aliens could even bring along race specific rooms to them. Which would lead to some unique and interesting design. Instead of everyone just using say plain beds for sleeping.

lets here your ideas for fun and engaging rooms and objects to be in them.

I think it would be cool if NPC's could build secret rooms. It's generally gonna go a bit dark because it's secrets, but I generally like the idea of discovering a secret made by an NPC and having to track down that NPC or just have that drama play out. :-)

- Stalker or fangirl/boy with shrine.

- Mad scientist with hidden lab.

- Serial killer with Charnel house.

- Leader with hidden surveillance room, loveshack.

- Food store, air pocket or whatever ressource might be sparse.

- A horder, thief or other persons stash with valuables/resources or garbage squirreled away.

- Worship room of cultist.

etc.

EDIT: Random NPC discovering these rooms might also react differently, which would affect morale etc.

Hazmat:

(i.e. Hazardous Materials)

This room could also provide another occupation type.

A hazmat room has special containers where objects that are known to be hazardous (or are suspected to be hazardous) can be stored, inspected, and treated. Some objects you find out in space will be easy threats. An object that is radioactive, for example, might be a known threat from the start. You can move the known threat to a safe container in hazmat as soon as you find it, because you already know it is hazardous. It will remain in the container for a period of time until the hazard associated with the object can be converted or removed, making the object safe. The hazmat team will notify you when an object has become safe.

Snapshot_002.jpg

But some objects will be harder. Maybe you could find an object out in space that has some kind of unknown pathogen crawling on it or a destructive energy pulsating from it, which starts to make your crew infected. If you have a trained Hazmat team (perhaps decked out in cool hazmat suits), they can track down the source of the threat, confiscate the object, and place it into a safe container in the hazmat room. Having more employees assigned to the hazmat team can mean that the source of threats are tracked down faster or hazardous objects become safe sooner. Maybe having more hazmat workers also means you are more likely to detect an unknown threat earlier, reducing the magnitude of the catastrophe. Maybe if your hazmat team has successfully detected and controlled a particular threat once, it becomes a KNOWN threat afterward, and is much easier for them to detect and control. The player might be able to use the Hazmat room to view a full list of known threats.

Perhaps you can also upgrade the hazmat room to have more containers (because what do you do if you find more potentially-useful-but-hazardous treasures and don't have any safe containers left to treat them?).

Hazmat workers will either work inside the Hazmat room (in which case they are chipping away at the time remaining for items to become safe to remove from the containers) or else they are walking around the base doing inspections. Hazmat crew doing inspections can potentially notice invisible threats.

The Hazmat crew may have working relationships with other occupations/rooms. They will need to routinely inspect other laboratories and the nuclear reactor room, for example.

That is one detailed description sir. Amazing.

Awesome ideas from both btw.

There is really a lot of potential here not just for interesting rooms, but also just watching the little people doing stuff in time.

I would like to see something like a factory/workshop in which you produce complex materials for more complex rooms and functions for your space station.

The resource system is a bit simplistic at this moment, and i think it would get more dept when there is more then one resource.

I would like to see something like a factory/workshop in which you produce complex materials for more complex rooms and functions for your space station.

The resource system is a bit simplistic at this moment, and i think it would get more dept when there is more then one resource.

Yeah that would be awesome, to actually see them process the resources and build stuff.

Also instead of just mining there could be various ores or something.

How about an place to poop. As it is now, I just imagine that they are doing their business in the airlock and waiting for someone to open the door so their waste will get sucked out. Not the cleanest method, but I suppose it works.

Now that I think of it, I have seen some folks idling in the refinery. Maybe that's where they put it.

How about an place to poop. As it is now, I just imagine that they are doing their business in the airlock and waiting for someone to open the door so their waste will get sucked out. Not the cleanest method, but I suppose it works.

Now that I think of it, I have seen some folks idling in the refinery. Maybe that's where they put it.

In the futuristic fiction of the Spacebase DF-9 universe, nobody poops. Everyone has a stomach full of tiny little nanobots that beam their poop across space to a nearby designated sewage-catch planet. It's been like that for so long that buttholes have mostly evolved away and are now considered vestigial orifices, if anything.

I have to second the gym, if only to keep people from doing jumping jacks on top of people doing push ups in random locations. Come on, guys - get a room.

How about hyperloops? I'd love to watch my spacepeeps get into a pneumatic tube-circuit to travel long distances quickly. With such a convenience, their preference of pubs wouldn't be as hindered by distance.

A morgue or crematorium or somewhere to store these terrible bodies that only serve to remind me of my failures!

As the game progresses, I would love to see some kind of laboratory for technological advancement or to research artifacts found out in the Void.

Also, some sort of Command centre might be interesting although I'm not entirely certain what function it could serve. Maybe crew assigned to it begin to develop unique quirks to set them apart.

For me the an Armory would be the most important thing. Right now whenever there's a hostile agent in the base I just switch all agents to security, and it immediately turns into the O.K. Corral. This seems a bit cheap so a room where security agents have to grab rifles before going on the clock might help. Side note, being able to micromanage the security agents a bit more might also help, right now they treat the beacons like a polite suggestion that they may get to eventually.

I definitely think a gym or library are good ideas. Right now any agents that comes into my base with mostly 1 stars gets automatically redshirt'd. So it would be neat to have an area that would increase their stats without risk of them breaking everything.

I'd also like to second the morgue idea, along with maybe a list of deceased agents. I dislike getting distracted by something and not being able to figure out where half the agents disappeared to when I miss death notices.

More rec areas or confining leisure activities to certain areas would definitely cut down on agents just randomly doing push-ups all over the place.

An engineering room is another thing I'd really like to see. Recently technician agents were likened to Geordi Laforge, who spends a lot of time running around maintaining the ship. The problem is he also spends a great deal of time monitoring ship systems from a central location. Right now the bigger my base gets (especially with derelicts and docked ships) the faster upkeep on everything becomes untenable, even with a ridiculous number of technician agents on staff. So instead of having objects slowly decay their failure could be a Poisson process, with probability of breaking a function of the average total skill of technicians in the engineering room over the past 24 hour period. This works for objects like life support systems which are constantly running. For objects the agents use the probability of breaking could be use based rather than time based. This would solve technicians having to constantly fly out and do maintenance on unoccupied derelicts. Being able to assign maintenance priority to things would also be nifty.

Lastly, and only tangentially related to rooms, I think it would be useful to be able to declare certain areas off limits. I know you can already sort of do this by locking tons of doors but it would be useful for base planning and defense to be able to evacuate or corral agents.

Some more options related to crew quarters would be cool. As much as I like my current big room full of beds, some encouragement to build individual rooms (or doubles) and assigning them to specific crew would be cool. Also, offices for important individuals if rank comes into play, like a Captain's quarters or head mining office.

Methane/nitrogen/ atmosphere sections:

Maybe include an alien that breathes a specific type of gas, requires it's on life support system and airlock to access, but has a larger "air" supply in space. Would only be able to get once you build one of these rooms, or rare spawn of aliens or something. I dunno, might be a bit ambitious but I'm kinda throwin' ideas at the wall to see what sticks.

Methane/nitrogen/ atmosphere sections:

Maybe include an alien that breathes a specific type of gas, requires it's on life support system and airlock to access, but has a larger "air" supply in space. Would only be able to get once you build one of these rooms, or rare spawn of aliens or something. I dunno, might be a bit ambitious but I'm kinda throwin' ideas at the wall to see what sticks.

Very Babylon 5. Wasn't there also a race that ate dead bodies? Might help our floating corpse trouble.

People definitely has a lot of awesome ideas :D

Like that some aliens breath different air mixture solution so they come with special rooms with own airlock, i think that would be kinda neat.

Some more options related to crew quarters would be cool. As much as I like my current big room full of beds, some encouragement to build individual rooms (or doubles) and assigning them to specific crew would be cool. Also, offices for important individuals if rank comes into play, like a Captain's quarters or head mining office.

Yeah there could be a privacy need, i definitely feel like its a bit to easy just making a room full of beds and boring as well.

I mean as a start sure its awesome, then work your way towards giving people privacy which would lead to them resting faster.

It would also be awesome if there was a reason to encourage and make hallways, instead of just room apon room. Like people needs quiet to work better or whatever.

Couldn even just have hall items like couches, soda machines, plants, heating. stuff like that. I mean you can make hallways atm, but it actually seems kinda like a penalty to do it atm, because it just takes longer for people to get around, without any added benefit.

We need windows as well :P think it was my dude in game Tim schaefer that wanted in his log thingy about windows hehe

We need windows as well

Yeah, I had a character complaining about the lack of windows and went to put some in only to find out that there weren't any so I can only assume that is coming.

Loving the idea of different atmosphere mixes for different species, it could be controlled via a few extra objects in the life support room(s). I think the present airlock system could probably be readily adapted to it, as well. Have airlocks between different breathing environments, the species that need to can pick up a breathing suit from the locker if they need it, and then change out when they return to a section they can breathe in. You could probably even break down special aliens into two categories, species that need x in the atmosphere to breathe, and species that suffocate if x is in the atmosphere. This way you could have a variety of different breathable mixtures in a section and still be able to have multiple species walk around without environment suits.

I don't know if this thread is really the place to post this, but it seems the best candidate for suggestions and I don't want to start a new one. When DF-9 was first announced, it really got me going to brainstorm how I would make my own space station simulation. I pastebinned what I ended up writing down, so if anyone wants to take a look its here: http://pastebin.com/MLN8HvzB. There are some room ideas and some more ideas for just a general direction a space sim might take. If anyone sees anything of that they'd think might fit in DF-9, give a holler, I'll try to explain it some more.

This game has a huuuuge opportunity to take inspiration from lots of games and even TV/film.

I think in an ideal world Spacebase DF-9 would take on Space Colony's industrial content (it was pretty fun with different machinery for different jobs, production chains and whatnot) and its 'shift' aspect (as it stands Spacebase DF-9 colonists (are they colonists?) work whenever they can be bothered, sometimes delaying actions you want done).

It would also take elements from Startopia with its social aspect and diverse cultures, wants and needs.

It could take a great example from good TV features such as Star Trek Deep Space 9 and Babylon 5 and many, many more.

Some things that are a little annoying currently I find are the random bases that pop up and become an addition to your base, I love the whole security team searching through but the base you have been designing quite often gets ruined and if its not a base that clips onto yours you end up having to build out to it as half your population end up spending their existence in an airlock with an attached corridor.

Also I find the residence room a little annoying. I think each person should 'claim' a room as theirs and thus make you create lots of them, you have nearly endless space to create a base but only need to put a couple of beds down to keep everyone well rested. This may well be a plan to change in the future :)

Just 2 cents, I have many more!

Faith Centres.

Religious crew members would want to spend time there to chat/bond with other religious crew members.

Faith Centres.

Religious crew members would want to spend time there chat/bond with other religious crew members.

Oh oh oh and try to convert the nonebelivers heretics ;D

/joke

Faith Centres.

Religious crew members would want to spend time there chat/bond with other religious crew members.

Oh oh oh and try to convert the nonebelivers heretics ;D

/joke

Space Chickens would of course worship loplop.

The one area I'd really want is a command center, which could give a bonus to the speed or efficiency of workers, as well as threat analysis from derelicts or incoming ships, or greater control of static defenses, lots of possibilities with that one, like the option to install an AI core that processes all tasks vs having a command staff, but with the possibility of it going haywire and needing repair. The armory and brig suggestions sounded pretty groovy to me too, perhaps having a brig for so many citizens could cut down on criminal activities such as thefts or fights OR possibly be a place to take stunned raiders to let them cool off and join the population once they're reformed...although a stun option is necessary, which is why an armory would also be cool! Stun technology and better weapons and equipment could be developed there, or it could serve some other function such as a place to develop static defenses or torpedoes and force fields.

I also think those small engineering stations or monitoring stations would be pretty cool to have, something to give a bonus to repairs in the area or repair a number of machines at the same time. Right now I feel like the technician's work is never done, partially because they never accomplish enough in a single visit to each machine to make a difference, this could offset this and make them more viable.

Love the idea of a nature dome. I've actually been wondering if the plants I place around the station contribute to the oxygen levels, and if they don't, maybe they should - which could be expanded into having a botanist assignment, a greater range of plant life able to be placed, and a hydroponics zone for farming food and oxygen as well as 'park' zones that allow lots of greenery and function as places for the workers to hang out, relax and recover some happiness.

EDIT - I should read the latest at http://www.spacebasedf9.com/devplans before posting...

garden zones where plants, ie "real food", is grown in hydroponic trays by citizens with botanist duty

* plants in gardens produce small amounts of extra oxygen

* citizens who spend time in garden zones have happy thoughts, increasing morale

But it's nice to know my thoughts are on the same track as the devs' thoughts :D

I had a thought regarding the current refinery happenings.

As it stands it makes little sense to have them as an internal item, all industry (mining) is done outside of your base and yet to refine the ore your workers have to enter the base and walk to the refinery room. There is a work around of just placing floor tiles and no walls and they can use it externally but that isn't an obvious tactic to start with and also seems kinda... rubbish.

I would suggest an actual external refinery was implemented or a wall module that acts as a drop off zone for external miners to drop off the ore to, whereupon internal workers can pick up the gathered ore and then place it wherever it needs to be in order to be refined.

I had a thought regarding the current refinery happenings.

As it stands it makes little sense to have them as an internal item, all industry (mining) is done outside of your base and yet to refine the ore your workers have to enter the base and walk to the refinery room. There is a work around of just placing floor tiles and no walls and they can use it externally but that isn't an obvious tactic to start with and also seems kinda... rubbish.

I would suggest an actual external refinery was implemented or a wall module that acts as a drop off zone for external miners to drop off the ore to, whereupon internal workers can pick up the gathered ore and then place it wherever it needs to be in order to be refined.

An upgrade to the base refinery would be cool. An automated refinery that has to connect to a outside wall.

The gym is on the top of my list, but not only on mine I see in the comments above,

furthermore I'd love to see maybe a small park in addition to the gardens that are coming, just a place to relax and maybe have a pick-nick?

With food being added, a dining area would be nice, I read a lot of the food processing will be done in the bar, but a food-only area feels fitting to me.

A game room, this will be a place just for relaxation with computers or arcade machines you can place, not as a replacement for the handhelds, but as an addition.

Super O2 room, you can build only one really big oxygen generator here that will cost a lot of matter to make and matter to keep running, but it will hardly break down and give a lot of oxygen.

A place to train security, like a command center or a shooting range

I'd love to see more rooms and stuff to build in general, need more things to fill in those rooms with :D

I think bars should be kept to serving drinks and acting as an entertainment room only.

The way in which people get food should be via a mess hall/cafeteria.

All in my opinion of course ^^.

Also I LOVE the idea of putting the transport tubes in that someone suggested. If you mean the type of tubes they have on Futurama then yes, yes, yes!

For large bases.

Tram station and tram lines. Allow the station and lines to be exposed to vacum and it could be a nice alternate way to let people travel around large bases or a collection of bases.