Sign in to follow this  
Bluntie

Post your Spacebases!

Whelp, there goes another one.

Dude!! how did that happen?

I didn't actually manage to fill it. I think it reached around 35 people at the most (probably should have chosen a closer warp-gate proximity). This was after I'd mined out every single asteroid on the map though, which feels like an accomplishment!

Anyways, it wound up being killed by derelicts. One in particular had a space worm on it but its entrance was on the far side, meaning that any security or builders had to fly straight past it to reach the entrance. Anyways, I lost around a quarter of my population before it got sealed, everyone else then got super depressed and stopped working and the entire base started breaking down at once.

I somehow managed to bring things back under control and slowly brought the population back up despite a number of continued setbacks, but then disaster 2 struck. A raider in space stumbled across my builders outside demolishing a derelict and they all began chasing each other in circles doing the "fighting an enemy" thing, then my security and miners joined in and everybody asphyxiated. Shortly after that the O2 recyclers were hovering at an average health of around 1%, every single door stopped working, burning corpses littered the hallways, and I just had to give up.

Whelp, there goes another one.

Dude!! how did that happen?

I didn't actually manage to fill it. I think it reached around 35 people at the most (probably should have chosen a closer warp-gate proximity). This was after I'd mined out every single asteroid on the map though, which feels like an accomplishment!

Anyways, it wound up being killed by derelicts. One in particular had a space worm on it but its entrance was on the far side, meaning that any security or builders had to fly straight past it to reach the entrance. Anyways, I lost around a quarter of my population before it got sealed, everyone else then got super depressed and stopped working and the entire base started breaking down at once.

I somehow managed to bring things back under control and slowly brought the population back up despite a number of continued setbacks, but then disaster 2 struck. A raider in space stumbled across my builders outside demolishing a derelict and they all began chasing each other in circles doing the "fighting an enemy" thing, then my security and miners joined in and everybody asphyxiated. Shortly after that the O2 recyclers were hovering at an average health of around 1%, every single door stopped working, burning corpses littered the hallways, and I just had to give up.

damn, those space worms are game glitching OP

Nice spacebases you guys!!! 40 Happy space dudes! :lol:

Geez, all with two airlocks and no one seems to be dead? That's amazing!

Nice spacebases you guys!!! 40 Happy space dudes! :lol:

Geez, all with two airlocks and no one seems to be dead? That's amazing!

Thanks! o7

They are doing good. Actually they are using the beds, have not seen anyone sleeping in the floor after 20 population, strange I know. Here you can see my workers coming back from a hard task, from a long journey. They seem to have no problems.

happy workers.png

578d00431864d_happyworkers.png.fd0739d3c

FC60925A3A569B7D4744065842A300C6F56FEFEA

New base. This time I'm not allowed to build any refineries or do any mining (or repeatedly destroy my own walls for free matter :P ).

I'm now not sure what is going on with beds. I was having quite a bit of trouble getting many citizens to actually sleep in beds up until I had around 20 people. At that point there was a miner issue with a wall destroyed by raiders and a door I didn't realize was stuck open which dropped my population back down to 8. Afterwards I stopped having any problems with beds.

I wonder if it has to do with the citizens themselves, the register that no beds are available when they first try to sleep, but then don't remember to update once some new beds are constructed.

It looks like there's a theme in most bases. The bar tends to be placed (generally) in the middle of bases. I usually do the same, if I decide not to put a big life support room there.

New base. This time I'm not allowed to build any refineries or do any mining (or repeatedly destroy my own walls for free matter :P ).

Those are sweet red corridors. Do your dudes use them often? Looks pretty useful if you get docked too.

It looks like there's a theme in most bases. The bar tends to be placed (generally) in the middle of bases. I usually do the same, if I decide not to put a big life support room there.

It's the only safe way to do it, really.

It's the only safe way to do it, really.

That makes all the sense! The last thing I would want to be around while inebriated is an airlock to outer space.

Either the Pub or life support tends to work best in the center. The pub is convenient because it doesn't really have to be a particular shape. Every other room tends to heavily incentivize "Ok, now how can I design this to let me fit in the maximum number beds, recyclers, refineries, etc." which of course leads to a bunch of boring rectangles/squares with odd numbers for the dimensions. (for the devs, maybe there could be some more bonuses which take into account the total number of tiles the room contains rather than just the number of objects that fit in it.)

Those are sweet red corridors. Do your dudes use them often? Looks pretty useful if you get docked too.

They wander around in them occasionally, I decided to leave them unlocked in case they needed to repair the doors. I haven't had any boarders since they were finished but the idea is that they should be pretty easy lock down if need be.

After viewing some of the other people's space bases, and viewing the future update log, I have decided to refine my design a bit:

auzp.png

1 pixel represents 1 tile (you may need to download it, open it and zoom in or something to see the detail).

Key:

Black Wall

White Unzoned

Yellow Habitation

Cyan Life support

Red Reactor

Grey Refinery

Purple Pub

Orange Airlock

Green Garden (added in preparation for update)

The very dark red areas represent maintenance/defense shafts (defense shaft, a.k.a. shaft to vent intruders into space)

The reason that the reactor rooms are so big, with long "arms" on the outer ring, is that reactors will, apparently, only power adjacent rooms (by my understanding, this means rooms directly touching the reactor rooms. I do not know for sure if this is how it will be done (for all I know, power may be distributed like oxygen), however it is better safe than sorry).

I have decided to, instead of having the refinery(s) inside my base, I will instead have them in external rooms to free up space, and to allow my miners to mine remotely, while still having somewhere to top up their oxygen. I will post again with a picture once I have this base up and running.

After viewing some of the other people's space bases, and viewing the future update log, I have decided to refine my design a bit:

auzp.png

1 pixel represents 1 tile (you may need to download it, open it and zoom in or something to see the detail).

Key:

Black Wall

White Unzoned

Yellow Habitation

Cyan Life support

Red Reactor

Grey Refinery

Purple Pub

Orange Airlock

Green Garden (added in preparation for update)

The very dark red areas represent maintenance/defense shafts (defense shaft, a.k.a. shaft to vent intruders into space)

The reason that the reactor rooms are so big, with long "arms" on the outer ring, is that reactors will, apparently, only power adjacent rooms (by my understanding, this means rooms directly touching the reactor rooms. I do not know for sure if this is how it will be done (for all I know, power may be distributed like oxygen), however it is better safe than sorry).

I have decided to, instead of having the refinery(s) inside my base, I will instead have them in external rooms to free up space, and to allow my miners to mine remotely, while still having somewhere to top up their oxygen. I will post again with a picture once I have this base up and running.

I think you can press "ctrl+" to zoom in.

When I tried putting my refineries outside I wound up having a lot of trouble with asphyxiation. In either case, what I found with my massive T-shaped base up above is that miners apparently can reach the edge of the map from the center, mine, and then return with a couple minutes of O2 left. The trick is just being careful how much you highlight at once (if a miner completely depletes an asteroid with room to carry more and then tries to head for asteroid on the other side of the map without stopping for air he will asphyxiate.)

So, the citizens sleeping on the floor thing seems to keep coming back and then going away again every so often. But in spite of that the base seems to be growing quite nicely. I guess mining is just overrated.

27D0344E679DC48653179617D9B3BE5748815D98

By the way, I believe it is technically sometime in November now. . .

*cough* *cough*

Living in an asteroid, safe from docking ships :D

-- Snip image --

Dayum, I have never seen a 'roid even close to that size, all I get are tiny/small ones (but lots of them, at least). Nice find.

So, is it truly safe from docking ships? Can ships not overlap asteroids, unlike derelicts?

Not saying this is anything to be proud of, kind of a spacebase SPRAWL.

In the center there's a bedroom that has 0% oxygen....why?!?! look like it's because the door is DAMAGED (0%)?

In these parts, when derelicts an raiders pop in you do what you have to. I think I was down to 1 citizen at one point. I, too, learned the hard way that I shouldn't space the parasite....so many citizens and noobs lost....sigh.

Can you count number of raiders/derelicts that docked to me?

2013-11-03_00009.jpg

2013-11-03_00009.jpg.f66a6fe78b06f0d9a8a

In the center there's a bedroom that has 0% oxygen....why?!?! look like it's because the door is DAMAGED (0%)?

In these parts, when derelicts an raiders pop in you do what you have to. I think I was down to 1 citizen at one point. I, too, learned the hard way that I shouldn't space the parasite....so many citizens and noobs lost....sigh.

I can see the distinct footprints of 4 derelicts / ships attached to your base, as well as a number of others around. As to the depressurized room in the middle, the door should have nothing to do with it. Either it is due to that room having a breach somewhere, or its due to a bug I found (I couldn't find any post about it on the forum, so IDK) which seems to treat the occasional room as separated from the rest of your base... This happened with my inner-left life support room, which caused that room to remain depressurized until my builders got around to building O2 recyclers in there, at which point the O2 level in there rose to 100%, which caused issues when my people wanted to wander from my ~60% O2 level base (many recyclers were offline, the main reason I needed this one operational), as the pressure difference caused them to be sucked back into the pub when they tried to walk in. Eventually, I fixed it by demolishing and rebuilding a piece of wall between the two rooms, after rezoning the life support section (the pub rezoned it when the wall went down), the room was then counted as part of my base...

As to this bug, is someone more experienced able to report it? I am not well acquainted with forums, other than posting replies and editing my profile, nor do I know the proper procedure to reporting a bug...

As to this bug, is someone more experienced able to report it? I am not well acquainted with forums, other than posting replies and editing my profile, nor do I know the proper procedure to reporting a bug...

Aside from the fact that it's in the wrong forum, this is a perfectly good bug report. Each time you add or remove a wall it's supposed to update an adjacency or connectivity graph or something similar; it sounds like there's an edge case or two where it doesn't update correctly.

If you look at the dev plans, you can see that they're planning on reporting O2 capacity for different connected subsets of your base individually, so you can pretty easily guess that they'd optimize the O2 flow code by having it only check for a flow into rooms that it knows are connected.

Click on the floor of the room and make sure that it says "unlocked".

Like everyone else said, it might be a bug. But I bet your doods think that room is haunted and they abandoned it or something (emergent gaming! Make up your own story for it) /Creepypasta.

-- Snip image --

Dayum, I have never seen a 'roid even close to that size, all I get are tiny/small ones (but lots of them, at least). Nice find.

So, is it truly safe from docking ships? Can ships not overlap asteroids, unlike derelicts?

Well its two asteroids that were very close :P, yeah, since I put a wall around the outside of the asteroid too, any ships think that the outside wall is apart of the base to they just dock with it, asteroid is the best protector!

Wanted to paste another base. I'm quite proud of it. It's been stuck at 36 people for ages. No new ships coming at the moment. There's notices about passing ships, but none show up.

The machines are starting to buckle, even with 15 technitians (5star/4star) they can't keep everything anything above 30%.

I've been managing the derelicts/docks/spaceworms quite well, but I fear the station has come to the end of its rope.

spacebase2.png

spacebase2.png.35eb22e1de4a722a4197ffb5e

-- Snip image --

Well its two asteroids that were very close :P, yeah, since I put a wall around the outside of the asteroid too, any ships think that the outside wall is apart of the base to they just dock with it, asteroid is the best protector!

Ah, I hadn't noticed that wall around the outside of the steroids, it blends in very well when they are down, lol.

As to the two asteroids thing, are you saying that the residential area is made out of two, or that one is the residential area, and the other is life support? Because I was specifically talking about the one containing the residential area, it is huge.

I'm trying to make something that's not too organized, with that in mind most of my crew decided to hang out in derelicts. I got either really lucky or unlucky with a all one star dood (anyone get all three stars with a fresh crew member?). I tried to give my pub a jungle theme, but it ended up looking a bit like a grow operation.

1.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg.dc94188b9be5332920eb06422d76c936.j

2.jpg.dff53bf822d27895602e3f8daa643b4b.j

Er, not a new spacebase post (I recently posted this space base) but a CLOSE-UP of one of the phases just post-raider attachment.

(Spacebase: closer look ) ;)

The last post made a mini room / museum for the original space pod. Nice!

I just left mine hang in space in case I needed it later.....and later came when a raider ship docked on/through it.

The pod served a quite the good BLOCK. They had a hallway connection that was:

--fully sealed and held oxygen

--a raider even went in the hallway and turned around when he saw it was blocked

--raiders didn't leave their ship through their airlock because they had a connection with no locked doors (?)

--I was able to space them (no O2) by deconstructing a wall, then repairing it.

WHO KNEW the pod could be a fully in-bulkhead object?! (Although I have not tried to build around it myself to see if I could make it that, the raider ship helped quite nicely on this)

All I can say is KARMA!

Did I win the lottery again? :)

Anyone else have this spacebase 'feature'?

2013-11-03_00007.jpg

2013-11-03_00007.jpg.b51e735979b0f2db29f

Er, not a new spacebase post (I recently posted this space base) but a CLOSE-UP of one of the phases just post-raider attachment.

(Spacebase: closer look ) ;)

The last post made a mini room / museum for the original space pod. Nice!

I just left mine hang in space in case I needed it later.....and later came when a raider ship docked on/through it.

--a raider even went in the hallway and turned around when he saw it was blocked

--raiders didn't leave their ship through their airlock because they had a connection with no locked doors (?)

WHO KNEW the pod could be a fully in-bulkhead object?! (Although I have not tried to build around it myself to see if I could make it that, the raider ship helped quite nicely on this)

All I can say is KARMA!

LMAO

I always scrapped mine, but if this remains in the game... Well, if you use the seed to "protect" a hole in an otherwise double-walled base, you could pretty much shut-down all invaders while still having something that looks alright.

LMAO

I always scrapped mine, but if this remains in the game... Well, if you use the seed to "protect" a hole in an otherwise double-walled base, you could pretty much shut-down all invaders while still having something that looks alright.

Space seed seems more valuable than the resources it would provide in this case. That's hella funny.