Sign in to follow this  
Bluntie

Post your Spacebases!

Base is actually going pretty well.

Unfortunately I think it has still about reached its limit. Apparently my strategy of keeping all the life support rooms fairly close together and keeping lots of technicians actually has paid off, the average condition of the recyclers has been consistently hovering at around 70-80%, yet even with so much O2 capacity I just can't seem to keep the pressure up for some reason. If I go too long without sending all my builders outside to do something then the oxygen levels start going down dramatically, especially in the corners.

2013-11-06_00003.jpg

2013-11-06_00005.jpg

2013-11-06_00006.jpg

2013-11-06_00003.jpg.c13370bb75e182f3b1c

2013-11-06_00005.jpg.7cca9e5222bf66ece7c

2013-11-06_00006.jpg.8593a0c3a104f1f2d2b

Unfortunately I think it has still about reached its limit. Apparently my strategy of keeping all the life support rooms fairly close together and keeping lots of technicians actually has paid off, the average condition of the recyclers has been consistently hovering at around 70-80%, yet even with so much O2 capacity I just can't seem to keep the pressure up for some reason. If I go too long without sending all my builders outside to do something then the oxygen levels start going down dramatically, especially in the corners.

That's a great looking base.

If I go too long without sending all my builders outside to do something then the oxygen levels start going down dramatically, especially in the corners.

Lol now putting someone in the corner as punishment has gotten even REAL-ER.

How many techs do you have in that 100 man crew?

I got up to 53 crew myself, but by that time I had to periodically rebuild all my life support because they kept breaking and the techs couldn't repair them fast enough, even with 24 techs out of 53. I eventually had to retire the station after a space worm derelict spawned that made anyone entering it afk outside the airlock. Would have eventually killed my entire crew.

Next time I'm going to try building life support centrally following your suggestion, see how far I can get.

As a suggestion to you it would help if you place bars on the outskirts of your base rather than one single bar in the middle. Because of the way oxygen is consumed and diffused through the base, it's not efficient to have most of your crew centered around one spot.

I noticed this during one of my "rebuild all life support" phases. Oxygen dropped below 40% so everyone started to panic about oxygen and congregated to one of my 4 life support rooms. Even with a 1,5x capacity of working recyclers the O2 levels were going up extremely slowly. Once it rose enough and everyone stopped panicking and spread around the base, oxygen levels quickly rose to over 90%.

I'm guessing your trouble with the O2 levels with everyone inside and not getting enough in the corners is due to the singular bar in the middle of your base.

I would think your base is a great show for the developers on larger base management and if there's some things to tweak and improve.

Also included my 53 which I already posted earlier with a slightly smaller crew, 53 was the highest I got.

spacebase2-3.png

spacebase2-3.png.ed2ca6f1a78f9601cc6c9f6

I just wanna say, you guys, you are awesome. We all check this thread daily. It feels so nice to see other people doing cool things with the stuff we work on all day.

This one was going so well, then a fire broke out that no one went to extinguish, and I didn't notice it... Also, a ship managed to dock to one of my vent doors (left hand side), the raider came in, and as I hadn't made the room to go on the end of it, I instead vented him out there... However, he landed on the floor outside, and one of my builders came over to check him out, the raider killed him, then walked off the edge and died... What I want to know is how did he even get to kill my builder, he was standing in space without a space suit -_-

avgz.png

EDIT: Ok, I managed to subdue the fire and repair the damage... Lost quite a few of my crew though :(

avgz.png

Oh man... that reactor portion totally looks like a Star Craft battle cruiser.

Battlecruiser_SC2_Cncpt1.jpg

Looks sick dood!

-- Image Snip --

Oh man... that reactor portion totally looks like a Star Craft battle cruiser.

-- Image Snip --

Looks sick dood!

Heh, now that you mention it, it does, doesn't it? I also do know what a SC BC looks like, lol. Played it for ages (but I guess you didn't know that, eh?)

How many techs do you have in that 100 man crew?

I got up to 53 crew myself, but by that time I had to periodically rebuild all my life support because they kept breaking and the techs couldn't repair them fast enough, even with 24 techs out of 53. I eventually had to retire the station after a space worm derelict spawned that made anyone entering it afk outside the airlock. Would have eventually killed my entire crew.

Next time I'm going to try building life support centrally following your suggestion, see how far I can get.

Roster pic along with apparently I did get two crew members with the same name.

36E633252F899FBDB7FD4B7BB9E3299C4F0B255F

The problem with technicians right now is that if they have fewer than 3 stars or are unhappy they tend to do more harm than good. You need to keep tons on hand just to make up for those that are doing poorly, and if a disaster happens which turns everyone in your base deeply depressed it is pretty much a death sentence for your base.

Also apparently, cosmetic items actually do improve moral a little bit so I've been spamming those where I can. (they get to watch TV while they work, how could that go wrong?)

Also, plants everywhere to try and pretend like the food update is already out.

As a suggestion to you it would help if you place bars on the outskirts of your base rather than one single bar in the middle. Because of the way oxygen is consumed and diffused through the base, it's not efficient to have most of your crew centered around one spot.

I noticed this during one of my "rebuild all life support" phases. Oxygen dropped below 40% so everyone started to panic about oxygen and congregated to one of my 4 life support rooms. Even with a 1,5x capacity of working recyclers the O2 levels were going up extremely slowly. Once it rose enough and everyone stopped panicking and spread around the base, oxygen levels quickly rose to over 90%.

I'm guessing your trouble with the O2 levels with everyone inside and not getting enough in the corners is due to the singular bar in the middle of your base.

I would think your base is a great show for the developers on larger base management and if there's some things to tweak and improve.

Also included my 53 which I already posted earlier with a slightly smaller crew, 53 was the highest I got.

The idea with the large pub in the middle was to try and at least keep where they congregate under control. People don't spread out to different pubs evenly, so whenever I suddenly end up with a ton of people congregating in one of those little hipster pubs in the corner is when the most problems seem to occur.

There are definitely problems with O2 diffusion in this game (apparently it moves at the speed of molasses) but if that where the case I should still be producing the same amount of oxygen. Instead O2 levels were dropping all over, suggesting that I simply didn't have enough production for some reason (either a bug or something I don't understand yet about how O2 generation).

In either case, it turns out that some rapid remolding to fit in another 16 recyclers does seem to have done the job now. We'll see how long this base lasts afterwords (Turns out I've been neglecting to repair my Airlock doors and 7 of the 10 just now broke down with a ton of people outside, so probably not very long.)

Decided not to explore and derelicts or dockers to keep my guys in base. Disaster still! But only because i decided to make more O2 thingys all in separate rooms. I was going for an unplanned type thing again.

3.jpg

3.jpg.9fe02939e035ed0b3ab09d6c4932e726.j

ok, final SPRAWL pic to show how it kept going. It did seem like the frequency of derelicts/ships wanting to connect increased (the "We're not space pirates" kind and then their ship docks)

Sometime after this I started a new base because the citizens went to 0.....and I waited....and someone happily wanted to join the empty base....but had some space worms that were major headaches so I stopped this one. Someone set FIRE TO A BEDROOM....lol

These derelicts that kind of looks like people remind me of the 'darwinians' in the game 'Darwinia'....anyone? anyone?

"Once more unto the breach, dear friends, once more"

This has been the 'lottery base' as some interesting/rare things happened on this one. Perhaps the devs might add a sprite or sign that says 'lotto' or 'lottery' or a lottery ticket machine in a future release as a joke for the neat/rare bugs we see in Alpha? Why not celebrate some of the hard work and emergent quirks of the game?

[Thanks for all your hard work, devs!]

2013-11-07_00006.jpg

2013-11-07_00006.jpg.bc83bd47f3963ece433

There are definitely problems with O2 diffusion in this game (apparently it moves at the speed of molasses)

Mildly related trivia, but molasses has been reported moving at 56km/h! :gulp:

Boston Molasses Disaster

This is the latest base I'm working on. Trying to get a bit of a structured approach goin on..

Central SEED memorial/bar with nearby oxygen recyclers and dorms. Putting in some private rooms too.

I've gone with a block of rooms at each end of the main corridor so I can quickly build new airlocks when the doors on the old ones are in their twilight years.

There's still some work to be done to define the base. And more plants are needed!

Recent encounters with raiders have convinced me of the strategic utility of a perimeter corridor for spacing boarders, so that'll be on the horizon.

2013-11-09_00006.jpg

2013-11-09_00006.jpg.bbec3235f4c7a0c6f6f

Gave up on the old base and decided to try something different. Now I've got a happy little space village slowly being built.

2013-11-11_00001.jpg

2013-11-11_00001.jpg.fc374555eac3dc381a5

How are the O2 levels in the rooms? 67%, is that low enough to bother crew? I never get below low 90s, but I never am able to build bases as large as yours.

Gave up on the old base and decided to try something different. Now I've got a happy little space village slowly being built.

Sweet. Built like that it reminds me even more of Startopia.

Wide open areas so they can graze! Love it!

How are the O2 levels in the rooms? 67%, is that low enough to bother crew? I never get below low 90s, but I never am able to build bases as large as yours.

I didn't notice the low O2 levels until after I took the screenshot but yeah, I don't think it should be that low (In my experience, crew start panicking once oxygen levels get below 40%).

The individual rooms tend to stay consistent with the main area except maybe the pub and the life support room.

This base is a favourite of mine. I built it inside a ring of 3-4 asteroids.

This screenshot was right after the space monster and right before all the life support systems ran down in the nearby derelicts and my highly trained technicians decided they needed to brave the low-oxygen environments to set them right. I levelled the derelicts, got some replacement crew and I'm sitting at 10 pop. I demolished some life-support systems to make things easier for my remaining technicians.

Another space monster burst onto the scene. 5 pop :(

. . .

The space monster in the second screenshot is alive and I think it has ruined my base.

I mined the ground out from under it yet it doesn't die. However, the monster seems to be okay to live and let live. Two more derelicts appeared in the North-East. One brought a new monster. I think I spaced it. I hope my four remaining population holds out.

Two more derelicts have appeared and one crew member. My typical way of dealing with derelicts is to take out one wall in each room to space any life (hoping no space bugs bug out) and then demolish the whole thing. I'm executing this strategy now. Life is slowly returning to my base.

Screenshot from 2013-11-11 22:04:18.png

Screenshot from 2013-11-11 22:29:00.png

578d0045baaf3_Screenshotfrom2013-11-1122

578d0045cc5b2_Screenshotfrom2013-11-1122

@Krantastic, inside of asteroid bases are always cool. That's a lot of airlocks!

SQUARE! Tried to make something simple with neat/different ideas inside. The bar is walled off with a one square path to get to the back. Also got my first all three star worker!

3.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg.a6f8e42608b0de727a1e106ca3d3f078.j

1.jpg.22f3bee30f371e6c7b7069d5ef84be9c.j

2.jpg.96123f8de9de73b262924f6ef5a6f238.j

@Krantastic, inside of asteroid bases are always cool. That's a lot of airlocks!

SQUARE! Tried to make something simple with neat/different ideas inside. The bar is walled off with a one square path to get to the back. Also got my first all three star worker!

I like the columns in that hallway; very nice.

I'm a pessimist when I play; I've had too many airlock "incidents" where someone gets sucked into space or asphyxiates right outside an airlock. However, I think I need to learn to not give up on a base when things start to go wrong. I'm hoping this asteroid-ringed base can meet its full potential.

I find the double-walls in other screenshots interesting. I expect it would help when firefights blow out a wall segment.

In my base posted above, I noticed oxygen levels in my entry-corridor and the pub were much lower than the typical 90% (they were, in fact, around 60%). I wonder if having so many airlocks has something to do with it; whether or not oxygen is actually lost in the entry/exit process.

Edit: One of my many airlock doors broke. It's the door everyone lines up in front of. They die. The space monster occasionally calls out members to single combat. They die. Too much in my base is in disrepair for my technicians to spend much time on the oxygen.

Yeah, since the AI doesn't seem too great at picking the closest airlock I've lately taken to just building all my airlocks in roughly the same spot if I can. That way it is at least easier to predict how long it will take builders to reach them.

And since technicians basically never repair airlock doors (or never repair them enough), the best thing to do is just keep an eye on their condition, and when they get to low to dezone the room, demolish the current airlock doors, and then build some new ones.

My current project, it's still not finished of course, I still need to finish the interior room layout. However due to a series of unfortunate events my actual functioning base has fallen into chaos and I'm not sure they can recover.. so I'm not sure if I'll get a chance. Hopefully I can stabilize things so I can finish it.

DF-9 BaseOneGrid.png

DF-9 BaseOne.png

578d00460328c_DF-9BaseOneGrid.png.df1578

578d0046163b6_DF-9BaseOne.png.ca663cff13

So, a semi-exploit I've noticed about the base design I posted above:

Because security seem to respond to threats in adjacent rooms, and because every "room" here is cosidered adjacent, any raiders or threats immediately get swarmed by pretty the entire population. The downside to this being that beacons don't quite seem to work correctly. But in either case the devs might want to look into that.

when they get to low to dezone the room, demolish the current airlock doors, and then build some new ones.

Yep, this is workin pretty good for me - usin' a battery of airlocks, and dezoning for overhauls.

It's funny how much entertainment value in the game at present can be derived from discovering and working around bugs & stupid workers :cheese:

My current project, it's still not finished of course, I still need to finish the interior room layout. However due to a series of unfortunate events my actual functioning base has fallen into chaos and I'm not sure they can recover.. so I'm not sure if I'll get a chance. Hopefully I can stabilize things so I can finish it.

SICK! Skull and crossbones ;)

Hope you can get something going, or it doesn't take too long to remake. Can't wait to see it functioning. Looks so grim right now.

Had the stupidest idea... DOORS! Wanted to have all of them forced open all the time (so people can watch each other sleep), but when i built them closed they looked cool. Kinda looks like those Japanese paper walls (Shoji according to wikipedia). This was just a quick test of the concept, probably not going to make anything too big till alpha2 :)

1.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg.743da1f35bdbef206d61f113c5019919.j

2.jpg.f6d4fd0036d7013fbbb966029ab51b25.j

Had the stupidest idea... DOORS! Wanted to have all of them forced open all the time (so people can watch each other sleep), but when i built them closed they looked cool. Kinda looks like those Japanese paper walls (Shoji according to wikipedia). This was just a quick test of the concept, probably not going to make anything too big till alpha2 :)

haha, I love this concept, vey cool. I imagine your technicians have nightmares about all the doors at night. "soo many doors, so much maintenance, it never ends noooo!"