Sign in to follow this  
Bluntie

Post your Spacebases!

My current project, it's still not finished of course, I still need to finish the interior room layout. However due to a series of unfortunate events my actual functioning base has fallen into chaos and I'm not sure they can recover.. so I'm not sure if I'll get a chance. Hopefully I can stabilize things so I can finish it.

SICK! Skull and crossbones ;)

Hope you can get something going, or it doesn't take too long to remake. Can't wait to see it functioning. Looks so grim right now.

I thought it was supposed to be a bird's eye view of a Federation vessel:

Enterprisebottom.jpg

Enterprisebottom.jpg.1ea115e3bff9e2d71c4

SICK! Skull and crossbones ;)

Hope you can get something going, or it doesn't take too long to remake. Can't wait to see it functioning. Looks so grim right now.

I thought it was supposed to be a bird's eye view of a Federation vessel:

Yep, that is indeed what I was going for. it's supposed to be the Enterprise or at least the same type of ship as the Enterprise.

I tried to finished the interior earlier but, the my entire crew asphyxiated a few minutes after I loaded the game =( I'll probably try and rebuild it, so I can finish the inside once alpha 2 comes out.

ijgl5A3.jpg

This is my 'sprawl'. Instead of demolishing derelicts and pirate ships I'm incorporating them. It started off very well and I got to about 30 residents before things started going pear-shaped. Nobody's doing what they're supposed to be doing. Technicians suddenly stopped being abreast of maintaining life support, so I sent the builders to demolish some destroyed scrubbers but despite having 9 builders and zero other tasks going on, they're just not doing it. Meanwhile the place is catching on fire more and more frequently (I have sixteen techs, six are 5-star, two are 4-star and the rest are 3-star), everyone's panicking, and it's all generally going to hell in a handbasket :D

But I suspect that with the current AI problems, ANY base will turn out like this eventually.

Isnt that kind of the point though? things are completely stacked against you. The goal is to survive as long as possible.

Of course this should not simply be happening due to technicians not doing their jobs :P

heres my dystopia by the time i lost.

?ACT=36&fid=58&aid=3039_CNg8gZ6BurTV6LIxrZGZ&board_id=1

deadbase.png

deadbase.png.9d54cb758ca7e0f2488d9b57469

@Krantastic, inside of asteroid bases are always cool. That's a lot of airlocks!

SQUARE! Tried to make something simple with neat/different ideas inside. The bar is walled off with a one square path to get to the back. Also got my first all three star worker!

I'm a pessimist when I play; I've had too many airlock "incidents" where someone gets sucked into space or asphyxiates right outside an airlock. However, I think I need to learn to not give up on a base when things start to go wrong. I'm hoping this asteroid-ringed base can meet its full potential.

I find the double-walls in other screenshots interesting. I expect it would help when firefights blow out a wall segment.

In my base posted above, I noticed oxygen levels in my entry-corridor and the pub were much lower than the typical 90% (they were, in fact, around 60%). I wonder if having so many airlocks has something to do with it; whether or not oxygen is actually lost in the entry/exit process.

Edit: One of my many airlock doors broke. It's the door everyone lines up in front of. They die. The space monster occasionally calls out members to single combat. They die. Too much in my base is in disrepair for my technicians to spend much time on the oxygen.

Just remember 'Losing is fun in spaaaace!')

My mostly symmetrical base, with a dedicated space for our seed, for remembering the world we came from, so many thousands of years ago.

Up left I've started working on additional living spaces, but then some builders forgot about their need for oxygen. Let's just say I don't need the extra space any more...

There's even some space prepared for growing food :)

The current configuration is not _quite_ enough to provide the needed oxygen, not sure what solution to go with that doesn't ruin the symmetry.

Stabilized everything with double walling, and left running while I worked. Now have a full crew with 5 stars in all four skills building/technician/bartender/security. :D

2013-11-14_00001_zps4f8433aa.jpg

Had the stupidest idea... DOORS! Wanted to have all of them forced open all the time (so people can watch each other sleep), but when i built them closed they looked cool. Kinda looks like those Japanese paper walls (Shoji according to wikipedia). This was just a quick test of the concept, probably not going to make anything too big till alpha2 :)

That looks awesome, extremely creative

I liked this base but I think its time is about up. I needed far fewer technicians to maintain a machines; yay. However, derelicts still require careful management. I left a few unexplored; they stopped spawning, but eventually all the machines broke down at once and my technicians fled my base.

Edit: I locked a bunch of technicians in the room with the most oxygen recyclers and they managed to restore order. Hooray!

Edit: [del]I found a killbot.[/del] A killbot found me.

Edit: Killbots are weak against space-type pokemon.

Screenshot from 2013-11-15 22:53:41.png

Screenshot from 2013-11-15 23:11:14.png

578d00476a5ac_Screenshotfrom2013-11-1522

578d0047a14db_Screenshotfrom2013-11-1523

I don't have any pics yet (had to switch computers), but I'm very happy with the Alpha 2 update. I haven't had to replace any O2 recyclers yet (~20 all running at 80%+) and except for a couple of people, my whole crew (~25) are all Happy to Ecstatic. The only difficulty so far is growing food fast enough for the demand in the bar.

I'm very happy with the Alpha 2 update. I haven't had to replace any O2 recyclers yet. The only difficulty so far is growing food fast enough for the demand in the bar.

Yeah! It's like a whole new game! Getting used to the changes at first was iffy. You can't just throw people at a project/build and expect it to get done without deaths. Moral is a huge factor now. At first my bases would just die off because I played it like Alpha1, building/mining willy nilly and just worrying about replacing O2 recyclers. Now it's more about prioritizing what your crew needs to function happily and slowly making your base a nice livable place, which seems like how one would go about building a functioning community from the ground up.

Here's what I got done tonight. It's pretty much my old square base with some open door areas added in. I can expand by making any of the Life support corners into a shared corner with another square base (think two squares with overlapping corners). It seems like I can idle and keep the game running indefinitely and the people/base will function without deaths/disaster so long as there aren't invaders (i haven't seen any killbots yet).

SUPER FUN! If all the updates continue adding new dimensions to gameplay like this (along with bug fixes), this'll be a hard game to put down!

Edit for the second and third picture. I experimented with a cul de sac type layout to optimize my residential areas (adding +2 rooms per section). Ended up looking cool, but if I were to expand (as explained above) my squares wouldn't fit as perfectly. Also started to add another square expansion to the south side but got invaded for the first time since update and lost tons of doods. Base started collapsing. The garden area does make a nice change in scenery if you use it as a hallway though. Going to start another game tomorrow and actually explore derelicts this time.

1.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg.7350013ad05212c4c388b5316942aac0.j

1.jpg.3ab8185ba7c1b3515e72e5a64eb555ea.j

2.jpg.e2f79c1ee5b7df7edc8c21a012d0b462.j

I'm very happy with the Alpha 2 update. I haven't had to replace any O2 recyclers yet. The only difficulty so far is growing food fast enough for the demand in the bar.

Yeah! It's like a whole new game! Getting used to the changes at first was iffy. You can't just throw people at a project/build and expect it to get done without deaths. Moral is a huge factor now. At first my bases would just die off because I played it like Alpha1, building/mining willy nilly and just worrying about replacing O2 recyclers. Now it's more about prioritizing what your crew needs to function happily and slowly making your base a nice livable place, which seems like how one would go about building a functioning community from the ground up.

Here's what I got done tonight. It's pretty much my old square base with some open door areas added in. I can expand by making any of the Life support corners into a shared corner with another square base (think two squares with overlapping corners). It seems like I can idle and keep the game running indefinitely and the people/base will function without deaths/disaster so long as there aren't invaders (i haven't seen any killbots yet).

SUPER FUN! If all the updates continue adding new dimensions to gameplay like this (along with bug fixes), this'll be a hard game to put down!

Look at all those plants..they need to add the possibility for plant infestations soon, :P

I was doing so well, up until I reached about 30 citizens... After that, my builders and miners started starving to death, either while asleep or out in space... There was plenty of food, so I don't know why they couldn't eat, and really? Starving to death while in bed?

Anyway, it started slowly going downhill from there. My technicians grew depressed, and eventually all my life support died. They would occasionally fix them enough to keep the base going, but not for long. Eventually, I simultaneously lost about 35 of my crew to asphyxiation, and that is when I took this picture:

awdd.png

I tried my best to keep it going with the skeleton crew, but the technicians would not fix anything, causing rampant fires in the life support rooms, which pretty much destroyed my base.

Guess it's back to square one for me :(

I was doing so well, up until I reached about 30 citizens... After that, my builders and miners started starving to death, either while asleep or out in space... There was plenty of food, so I don't know why they couldn't eat, and really? Starving to death while in bed?

Anyway, it started slowly going downhill from there. My technicians grew depressed, and eventually all my life support died. They would occasionally fix them enough to keep the base going, but not for long. Eventually, I simultaneously lost about 35 of my crew to asphyxiation, and that is when I took this picture:

awdd.png

I tried my best to keep it going with the skeleton crew, but the technicians would not fix anything, causing rampant fires in the life support rooms, which pretty much destroyed my base.

Don't frown, smile, you just had a dwarf fortress equivalent tantrum spiral

Read my Sig (and the devs said this aswell)

That sucks dood. Maybe you have to get used to the new changes?

Base looks awesome though. I still see (four) battlecruisers. Hope you can get another game going so we can see the finished product.

Living in an asteroid, safe from docking ships :DY7e7YXM.jpg

That is sweet I need to try that at some point

Here is my Base currently

It is fully self substaining and whenever someone docks i can take care of it immediately due to the small size

I do plan on gradually expanding outward until I have a fully functional city.

I am going to be expanding "Smallies Tavern" next (Named after the original owner, Smally Harvardson, who was chewed up by a space parasite and add a new dorm room. I do also plan on adding a reactor room because I can.

This base plan Has saved me so many times, since it is so compressed and akeep people togetehr when something happens my security force takes care of everything instantly.

I have had a few close calls, But somehow this base plan always pulls through, no problems with morale, and the oxygen stays across the base, since I have my life support built in such a way that each room has massive amounts of oxygen..

?ACT=36&fid=58&aid=3096_jRAvm5lVPvZ4qDdbYlfL&board_id=1

?ACT=36&fid=58&aid=3098_eYZriHDquO8bGfZbxok2&board_id=1

awesome.png

Capture2.png

awesome.png.3cf70bd4e2f26f01001310277550

Capture2.png.e5b4018512d83e425e74d3078f6

I have started a new one, but this time I tried something different. Rather than start from the center, I am starting from the edge.

awem.png

It's going alright, but I am still having issues with my miners and builders starving. It seems to me that an active duty will override the need to eat - I once saw one of my miners on starving walk right past a food replicator to get to an airlock to continue mining. I immediately cancelled all mining orders and reloaded the game, and she immediately went for the nearest food replicator. In other words, I think I found why I keep losing all my miners... Then I keep forgetting to check on them regularly, and they starve again. As a result, my technicians are all sad again, and I do not know if this base will get much further...

@Untrusted, Yeah asteroid bases are the bee's knees. It's just so hard to make them/find a good layout imo. Why are there three life support rooms instead of one large one? Aesthetic choice or practical one?

@Lmcgyver, sweet minecraft pickaxe ;) I bet the devs will fix worker needs/priorities eventually. Finding work arounds (like you resetting) is half the fun of this alpha for me personally. Looks like your bar/garden synergy isn't in full swing yet. Once I had a functioning bar/restaurant my doods never starved because they always wanted to hang out at the bar.

@Lmcgyver, sweet minecraft pickaxe ;) I bet the devs will fix worker needs/priorities eventually. Finding work arounds (like you resetting) is half the fun of this alpha for me personally. Looks like your bar/garden synergy isn't in full swing yet. Once I had a functioning bar/restaurant my doods never starved because they always wanted to hang out at the bar.

Heh, the idea is to eventually make a circle, but I have never managed to get far enough. As to the crew starving, the problem isn't a lack of food, its that they refuse to eat. Its always my miners, never anyone else (except the odd builder on a big construction job). Whats even worse is that most of them die while in bed... Surely if you were about to die from hunger you would wake up and head for the nearest food source? I reckon that as soon as they start to get hungry (i.e. healthy > hungry > starving) they should start looking for food, and when they reach starving, they should prioritize food over pretty much anything else.

This is where my base is currently, but my technicians have pretty much stopped doing anything. I wish I could somehow say to them "I don't care how depressed you are, if you don't get to work, it won't matter how depressed you are, as you - and the rest of the crew - will be dead. No excuses! Get back to work!"

awer.png

In the previous image, I had made the reactor zone into a bar temporarily until the actual bar had been built.

To those wanting to know the current plan for my base:

awes.png

UPDATE: Well, this base is still crawling along. Haven''t had any deaths in a while, and a couple of my 5-star techs are happy, meaning that some stuff is getting fixed again, yay!

UPDATE: Ok, I think I jinxed it... My technicians seem to be committing suicide now... :/

UPDATE: Well... Everyone is deeply sad, sparks are flying everywhere, and my crew is starving to death left right and center (my technicians refuse to fix the food replicators, and my bartenders are more interested in walking around than tending their bars. Oh, and nearly every door on my base is broken). All in all, it looks like this base's time is nearly up. I will post the final picture when it dies.

UPDATE: 1 sad technician left, he keeps trying to fix exterior doors, popping into an airlock every now and then to top up his air... No one seems to be coming anymore (I get the occasional pop-up saying there is something coming, but nothing comes). All that's left is to wait for him to starve to death, I guess...

UPDATE: And, he's gone.

The final base:

awff.png

@Lmcgyver, That sucks dood... It was looking to become cool. Maybe you need to have more sustained happiness? I think T.V.s everywhere and an abundance of cooked meals keep most crews in line/happy/alive. The walk for your crew seems a bit long too. But I haven't tried making anything as big as that so I'm not sure If my methods would work... it's just a suggestion.

Here's my current project... I'm not sure where to expand after this, maybe just make a unattached sister base and see where that goes. I started out small and repurposed/expanded areas as crew got bigger and I got money. That along with a ton of bartenders/cooked meals helped keep everyone happy and working I think. I really like trying out new residential layouts. You can make so many patterns.

4.jpg

3.jpg

1.jpg

4.jpg.a14e18df3a8fdd3ecf927b0aa1d1d0bf.j

3.jpg.fc1f3980eb29042881e673711d9420a1.j

1.jpg.6d7f27b2ea69c93891f088238614bf10.j

@Lmcgyver, That sucks dood... It was looking to becme cool. Maybe you need to have more sustained happiness? I think T.V.s everywhere and an abundance of cooked meals keep most crews in line/happy/alive. The walk for your crew seems a bit long too. But I haven't tried making anything as big as that so I'm not sure If my methods would work... it's just a suggestion.

Here's my current project... I'm not sure where to expand after this, maybe just make a unattached sister base and see where that goes. I started out small and repurposed/expanded areas as crew got bigger and I got money. That along with a ton of bartenders/cooked meals helped keep everyone happy and working I think. I really like trying out new residential layouts. You can make so many patterns.

I really like that layout, but you may want to put life support on the other side of that base as well due to an annoying bug that currently exists and may cause problems for your base..(and deaths, many deaths)

I like the way you did the bedrooms there, gives everyone a chance at a private window onto the stars.

I Finally got around to rebuilding the starship Enterprise... I'm fairly happy with it, although I wasn't able to completely finish, I was hoping to spruce things up a bit more and maybe add a few more rooms where I could but, after a few disastrous raider attacks things quickly went sour. but all in all I think it turned out ok..

DF-9 BaseThree2.png

DF-9 BaseThree.png

578d004a331c0_DF-9BaseThree2.png.59da649

578d004a415b9_DF-9BaseThree.png.34b39113

I built a weird-looking base this time. I wouldn't like to live in this one, but it's working really well. I have never yet had to demolish an air recycler and replace it. I attribute this to the fact that I've kept the number of techs down to a minimum, only ever having one three-star tech at any time. This has allowed them to level up much more quickly. I still think that the quality of the air recycler degrades to quickly; you might get 20% from a single repair by a high-level tech, but it degrades by 2 or 3% just in the time they're working on it.

2013-11-17_00013.jpg

2013-11-17_00014.jpg

2013-11-17_00013.jpg.46fca7bdaf318e1012a

2013-11-17_00014.jpg.94fb40423bcb1cbe1c5

I Finally got around to rebuilding the starship Enterprise... I'm fairly happy with it, although I wasn't able to completely finish, I was hoping to spruce things up a bit more and maybe add a few more rooms where I could but, after a few disastrous raider attacks things quickly went sour. but all in all I think it turned out ok..

That is quite awesome.

I love star trek

I should try my hand at a mega project at some point.

@JRuesi86, That's sick dood! I really like the tiny rooms you have that do nothing gameplay wise but do a ton for aesthetics. I'd imagine if it were the actual Enterprise those rooms would have a function.

@db48x, I really like that concept. You can always repurpose a room or just add another easily without any real problems. It looks super functional/ultra modern. Reminds me of those houses made out of shipping containers.

@Lmcgyver, That sucks dood... It was looking to become cool. Maybe you need to have more sustained happiness? I think T.V.s everywhere and an abundance of cooked meals keep most crews in line/happy/alive. The walk for your crew seems a bit long too. But I haven't tried making anything as big as that so I'm not sure If my methods would work... it's just a suggestion.

The major problem I had was my miners were too eager to work. I saw starving miners walk right past my food replicators into the airlocks, then dying in space. The constant deaths of my miners caused my crew morale to plummet, which in turn wreaked havoc on my base via techs not fixing anything. I will try sticking monitors around, though, see if it does anything.

@db48x, I really like that concept. You can always repurpose a room or just add another easily without any real problems. It looks super functional/ultra modern. Reminds me of those houses made out of shipping containers.

Thanks. I enjoyed building it, although I wouldn't want to live there. Too modern for my tastes! Also, the noise would probably be terrible.

db48x

Cool. You put the bar in the right place, but where are the engines? :D

@Untrusted, Yeah asteroid bases are the bee's knees. It's just so hard to make them/find a good layout imo. Why are there three life support rooms instead of one large one? Aesthetic choice or practical one?

sorry for the slow reply,

It is practcial because if one of the rooms get set on fire i can lock it and nobody will go there, and i will still have my other parts being maintained by the techs.

I'm still goin' with the same base as last time I posted a pic in this thread.

It ballooned to over 60 population at one point, but it was unsustainable as I hadn't kept up with need items.

Everyone got sad, stuff started to explode and people died en masse. The population has swung back and forth for a while, but now we've got some semblance of stability.

The smaller dorm rooms coming off the main dorm and the hydroponics suite have given me continual problems with low oxygen, so I'm working on surrounding the main base block with a life support corridor. Not sure if it'll work, but it's worth a go.

Many lives were lost earlier when I learned the hard way that airlock doors fail to an open state, rather than closed like the interior ones.

Since then, I've disassembled most of the old airlock batteries and replaced 'em so that each airlock has a little anteroom. Folks spend a lot of time in those airlocks, so I jammed some monitors and plants in where they fitted. Not sure if anyone will benefit from the ones outdoors. Maybe if I build a floor in front of the airlocks waiting citizens will be considered to be in the same room?

(I tried using an outdoor pub zone so I could put neon signs along the front of my base, but had to abandon it when 7(!) bartenders came out to try and pour drinks.)

Just lost 5 people to a determined raider assault. Many citizens were deeply saddened by the loss, but they seem to be bouncing back alright.

I plan to run this one 'till it fails utterly so they'd better get used to it!

2013-11-18_00018.jpg

2013-11-18_00018.jpg.140bdec7fc3b80a9cad