Sign in to follow this  
Bluntie

Post your Spacebases!

I like the idea of putting monitors in the airlocks, that should help the miners a bit.

I'm still goin' with the same base as last time I posted a pic in this thread.

It ballooned to over 60 population at one point, but it was unsustainable as I hadn't kept up with need items.

Everyone got sad, stuff started to explode and people died en masse. The population has swung back and forth for a while, but now we've got some semblance of stability.

The smaller dorm rooms coming off the main dorm and the hydroponics suite have given me continual problems with low oxygen, so I'm working on surrounding the main base block with a life support corridor. Not sure if it'll work, but it's worth a go.

Many lives were lost earlier when I learned the hard way that airlock doors fail to an open state, rather than closed like the interior ones.

Since then, I've disassembled most of the old airlock batteries and replaced 'em so that each airlock has a little anteroom. Folks spend a lot of time in those airlocks, so I jammed some monitors and plants in where they fitted. Not sure if anyone will benefit from the ones outdoors. Maybe if I build a floor in front of the airlocks waiting citizens will be considered to be in the same room?

(I tried using an outdoor pub zone so I could put neon signs along the front of my base, but had to abandon it when 7(!) bartenders came out to try and pour drinks.)

Just lost 5 people to a determined raider assault. Many citizens were deeply saddened by the loss, but they seem to be bouncing back alright.

I plan to run this one 'till it fails utterly so they'd better get used to it!

That is quite the base you got there.

Hi everybody. This is my first post so I'm gonna make it a long one! This is such an awesome game already. The sound and art are great and I'm looking forward to more content! I'm gonna show off some of the more or less successful bases I made after I got a hang of the game.

This was my first "working" base. I added the reactors for a bit of flair. This was in Alpha 1c.

b3VZLNh.jpg

Then Alpha 2 hit and I wanted to start over. I expanded everything and I expanded it too fast. The result was mass space sadness resulting in critical failure in the life support room. We lost exactly 50 men that day. Lots of fun was had.

ktxIvxn.jpg

The day after Alpha 2a was released and I was back in command of another spacebase. This time I was aiming for success. Space success. Me and the crew got a nice little base up and running and everything was working. (There was a little trouble with the lights in some of the rooms but it went away after reloading the game.) I think the crew liked the plants and monitors everywhere. I know I did. We opened up The Rusty Kitty Pub (I let the crew vote on the name. First and last time that will happen.) by the Seed Garden and started cranking out real food and we refitted the food dispensers as giant bird feeders for our beaked crew members. Morale was high.

02mhRhM.jpg

This was going so well we thought the metacorn was growing into the heavens. So I decided to expand the living quarters. No more than 3 crew per bed, on this base, as long as I am in charge! And with great bases comes great expansions. And more plants everywhere.

SjkoQm0.jpg

100 souls on board! Time to expand the Rusty Kitty cos we are drinking in celebration tonight.

fO6T3X1.jpg

A toast to the mining crew for making all this possible. I love you guys. *hiccup* You guys are the best! Also the Technicians. Thanks for keeping us alive! Let's get 150 people in this thing so we can drink again!

TlY6SkB.jpg

Speaking of the technicians. 30 ecstatic, hard working crew members are keeping 72 oxygen recyclers humming all while doing maintenance on the other machinery, [del]food dispensers[/del] bird feeders, spacesuit lockers and fine tuning the sliding sound the doors makes. The surprising thing is that the whole thing keeps running.

cU7ln07.jpg

So with 128 crew on board let's take a look at th... Holy solar flare on a satellite! What is going on in Sabik Poulsens quarters?!

PpnNWyT.jpg

Dmitri! You're the new security! Yes you! Put your fist in the angry space monsters mouth while the rest of us shoot it! Now space-for-brains!

OIi0f0w.jpg

Right good job everybody. See Dimitri, I knew you would be fine. Everybody back to work.

p4sCwiq.jpg

So with 127 crew on board let's take a look at the whole thing in all it's glory. There is still room to expand a little further without the whole thing collapsing, I think, so I will do that before i add in plants on the bottom end.

uuEqJLk.jpg

It's going pretty well I'd say! As long as the technicians are kept happy they will keep up with all the work. I haven't had to replace a single oxygen recycler on this build. Everything is running real slow though and I have to keep it at normal speed or else the oxygen level drops too fast and the recyclers can't keep up. Is that a documented bug? Anyway, the pub zone is an incredible oxygen sink and there might be a better design for feeding oxygen into it. Usually when it gets below 75% I send the 30-ish builders out to tear down derelicts to give the room a chance to get back to normal levels. The garden has the least amount oxygen since it's not connected to the main corridor or the life support it self but it's working fine since there's at most 15-20 crew in there at a time.

I want to thank Double Fine, JP LeBreton and his team for making this and making it available so soon in the process. This is very much a game I want to play and it's evidenced by the almost 50 hours i spent on it already. Thank you! Can't wait for more rooms guys!

Welp, that base is amazing...so big..127 people..wow.

and dfburger, come on now

Nah, it shouldnt be game over until your base dies epicly.

DWARF FORTRESS IN SPAAAACE!

Holy whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa.

Sooooo yeah this exceeds our perf targets for now, so it will be slow. :) But I am working on things that should smooth out the weird oxygen fluctuations at high speeds and low framerates. I can't say it'll work for your megabase, though! Wow.

Could you post a download for that save-file? Would be much appreciated.

We would also like to have it for testing purposes. That is amazing.

Thanks for all the reactions guys. Like I said in the previous post, I think one of the keys to success is keeping the speed set to normal.

Once you get to a certain amount of crew members and the game starts lagging, and it does, the oxygen recyclers cycles become slower than the crews breathing rate and the faster the game is set the further behind the recyclers drop. This is just speculation on a tendency i noticed yesterday so I haven't filed it as a bug yet. This base was serious business once i got 75 crew members so I have been playing it safe (and slow).

Could you post a download for that save-file? Would be much appreciated.

Sure, why not?! Just don't claim it as your own on your livestream or Youtube, you sneaky decepticon.

http://BillionUploads.com/whibjr2wzwoz (not sure how long that link is active, sorry in advance to everybody too far in the future)

I haven't been messing with saves yet so I hope this is all you need. A little warning though, the games is crawling slow even on my I5-2500K @4Ghz/HD6950 setup.

Progress has unfortunately slowed considerably due to all asteroids on the map being gone and the difficulty of demolishing derelicts without mass asphyxiation.

I forsee the game suddenly becoming much, much more difficult once we actually do need to assign individual rooms.

2013-11-19_00005.jpg

2013-11-19_00005.jpg.a065d4a5f97c6b75093

This is my best base so far. Nearly everyone is happy, all the oxygen recyclers work, and the pub grub is the talk of the sector!

I have had a few deaths when idiot builders took out the wall of the room they were standing in. One poor guy sadly took his spacesuit off to dismantle an airlock. Oh well, space is a dangerous place!

More troubling, now that I've gotten to 60 crew, I've noticed things starting to slow down. A couple crewmen died recently: two waiting for the airlock to cycle, and one that crossed the base because the nearby airlock was being used. It will be nice to see some optimization or multithreading support.

2013-11-18_00009.jpg

2013-11-18_00002.jpg

2013-11-18_00003.jpg

2013-11-18_00009.jpg.fb147d5f7885d207ee8

2013-11-18_00002.jpg.d0740cbf6ab5cb7347b

2013-11-18_00003.jpg.6b17f1f1db0e104099a

@bbgun06, looks awesome! I love the little inaccessible red rooms. Adds a touch of mystery to the base. It's like the thirteenth floor for your space base.

@Onty, looks like a painting! I love your use of colors, the whole composition looks blue/green. It seems like you used plants and room size to keep everything (the colors) together. I especially like the big red dot as a focal point.

This "frankenbase" was fun, despite being an aesthetic eyesore. At this point it is starting to wane, since morale has fell quite a bit due to some deaths from raiders (probably dealt with 8 or so boarding ships over the lifetime of the base). Surprisingly few parasites. About 40 of the 61 crew are 5 stars now, so even though they are not motivated to do their work, they are very good at it when they actually do. At the peak of morale, everyone was ecstatic (except for builders, they seem to have a bug in the current build where morale always worsens), but most are floating around neutral and about a third of them are deeply sad now.

frankenbase.png

frankenbase.png.9995e86c3e24c0e486f12b05

Remember that self sustaining base I was working on, well I wasn't going to show it until it's finished but due to a recent massacre, (over 10 of my builders asphyxiated themselves) My base is slowly crumbling.

As you can see I have added maintenance [del]traps[/del] shafts to the sides of my base for [del]killing raiders[/del] alternate route around the base.

It works beautifully..[del]if only the alarms were working 'evil smile'[/del]

?ACT=36&fid=58&aid=3158_8RURatmt7LuGMt3Pcx2o&board_id=1

Man I love this game :)

Lets see if i can save this base..

base.png

base.png

base.png.244e3cb9ccd0c952804bfd58a6dff5e

base.png.e5f6afe80b54ca75e194619ddd55a12

Sheesh, you would not believe the amount of lag this caused. It took nearly 45 minutes.

2013-11-21_00004.jpg

2013-11-21_00005.jpg

2013-11-21_00007.jpg

2013-11-21_00004.jpg.b55a3ebe6e236a5cbd6

2013-11-21_00005.jpg.48117700d32326887d4

2013-11-21_00007.jpg.b285ed12609595b3930

As a minor request for the devs. It would sort of be nice if I could set refrigerators to allow people to eat raw meals out of them.

Also it would be neat if the AI tried to prioritize the best bedrooms. Right now they just seem to pick whichever beds were most recently built, which inevetably means that they are going to wind up trying to sleep in completely unfurnished rooms with builders drilling and doing push-ups in the background.

There are some epic bases here, especially Hateren47's 127+ population and the Starship Enterprise by JRuesi86.

My base started as one long corridor and morphed into something slightly phallic.

Can't wait to see this game expand, loving it!

ScreenHunter_22 Nov. 21 20.45.jpg

578d004d3d123_ScreenHunter_22Nov.2120.45

There are some epic bases here, especially Hateren47's 127+ population and the Starship Enterprise by JRuesi86.

My base started as one long corridor and morphed into something slightly phallic.

LOL, yah I'd say it's slightly phallic, only slightly though. ;) seems you're about due for some of those religious nuts docking with your base. "You have built you base in an offensive shape, we're docking to alter it's shape and probably kill you."

LOL, yah I'd say it's slightly phallic, only slightly though. ;) seems you're about due for some of those religious nuts docking with your base. "You have built you base in an offensive shape, we're docking to alter it's shape and probably kill you."

HAHA!