Sign in to follow this  
Bluntie

Post your Spacebases!

Felt like showing off my first proper station, and wanted to see what everyone else had come up with. I'd love to see people's different approaches. :)

My base just didn't fit completely and should really expand got enough matter for it.

spacebase.png

spacebase.png.b3141083502051443d44f4be1e

I've gone through about six or seven before deciding on a design that I'm sticking with for longer. Here are some early experiments...

The first:

qESU4XL.jpg

The second:

2Az7cPO.jpg

And this is the one I'm sticking with and working on currently - it started from the western airlock (assuming top-right of the screen is north), I built that strip in a line, then built the branches and formed the inner circle, and now I'm expanding into the outer square. It's been tough; had technicians wandering off to perform maintenance on derelicts and getting stuck at airlocks and dying, went from a population of 30 to 1 back up to 30 and down to five and up again now to 20-ish... but I like the design. If only there were less bloody derelicts! (I'm in a zone with the lowest magnetic interference, so I think there's some balancing to do with how many derelicts show up?)

zJk8eWV.jpg

When the four corner pubs are built I'll delete the one in the middle and leave it unzoned, and then decorate it with some plants. ^.^

This is my 'new and improved' design. So much stuff to consider! I'm still keen on a round-ish base, but had some ideas of things to alter after playing through the last one I posted above. Namely, oxygen in the middle, which minimises the amount of distance the engineers need to travel to keep them all fixed. Common sense really, should have done that to begin with. Next, I wanted a modular structure that I could extend in 'pods' of connected bases, so every pod has only enough oxygen for the number of beds it contains. There'll be three beds per room and four O2 recyclers in the middle (I'm putting way too much thought into this!). Every room type is surrounded by unzoned corridor, which means more doors for the techs to keep working but ALSO means more safety in case of fire or hull breach. I'm also planning on having exterior doors so that I can space any raiders that board - that and/or putting a double wall around the outside to minimise hull breach from gunfire.

ANYWAY! Enough boring preamble...

3YfK6RF.jpg

(I know the pub on the right is the wrong shape - in the process of fixing it. I dun count 2 gud, keep messing up. ;) )

Progress! This is the first base that I've actually completed the structure of, so I'm quite happy about that ^.^ Next task is to decorate, shift some builders over to tech duty and slowly clean up the derelicts with the remaining builders. I'm trying the door tricks everyone's posting but they don't always work :(

k0bquvb.jpg

ijgl5A3.jpg

This is my 'sprawl'. Instead of demolishing derelicts and pirate ships I'm incorporating them. It started off very well and I got to about 30 residents before things started going pear-shaped. Nobody's doing what they're supposed to be doing. Technicians suddenly stopped being abreast of maintaining life support, so I sent the builders to demolish some destroyed scrubbers but despite having 9 builders and zero other tasks going on, they're just not doing it. Meanwhile the place is catching on fire more and more frequently (I have sixteen techs, six are 5-star, two are 4-star and the rest are 3-star), everyone's panicking, and it's all generally going to hell in a handbasket :D

But I suspect that with the current AI problems, ANY base will turn out like this eventually.

I hear you. Man, I am so looking forward to those parts of the game actually working. I am loving the game, but it is pretty hard to keep a game going more than an hour before everyone is running around with their hair on fire.

Although I haven't ever had that many people on a base, I'm glad to know that I'm not the only one having problems keeping crew on task. Where's Deanna Troi when you need her (not that she was ever that much help)?

Every time I start to make a base things tend to start looking really dystopian really fast for some reason.

4E7C123A3BD7C810A080F92DED9C7B14D97A28E5

Really wanted to take a snap of my base to show you guys, but things went a bit pear shaped before I had the chance...

I knew something was wrong the moment I saw it...

0iwz.png

Something about Ripley to do with Space Stations and Blowing up! Should've seen it coming!

Starting a new one now though, and I'll be sure to take a snap before I get overun by derelicts and pirates.

They look awesome everyone!

Whenever I try to make one I always get a derelict docking onto me ruining everything.. any tips on how to stop?

A photo of my ship design:

ytkm.png

So far so good, but I'm expecting things to go awry real soon...

And a quick pointer for those who are having issues with docking!

--

What I do is, as you can see, make sort of maintenance tunnels that wind through, and surround my base. These provide three benefits for my ship:

1. Guiding Invaders

Because of how the tunnels wind through and around my ship, it makes it really easy to guide invaders down a certain route, and lockdown my crew.

This is especially handy in spacing them! In the room in the bottom left corner (the one with pillars and plants), there's an airlock which I use to jetison pirates out.

2. Pirates will dock straight onto the tunnels

Instead of having them dock straight to a vital system, like your life stabilizers or surprising all your relaxing crew in the pub, they pirates dock straight onto these tunnels.

You'll notice there are spots that are exposed, the airlocks specifically. This isn't a fault of mine, but a choice in design! If they miss the tunnels, they'll hit a deliberate weak spot; a place where I can easily dictate their movement and track their progress through my ship.

3. It looks cool

No, really, it looks rad! Currently, the Reactor room has no real purpose except being a giant thing that looks red and slowly deteriorates. Call me big on aesthetics, but whatever! Don't be afraid to be creative!

--

It's expensive, but easy... And it looks cool! Definitely my favorite design yet. Wish you could save your bases on the galaxy map, and name them.

Ooh, that looks like a pretty ingenious setup. Might have to try that myself. :D

I had been making walls a half-score of space-units away from my base, in the hopes that pirates wouldn't spawn on top of existing walls. I've had pirates spawn inside walls that were too far out. So no-one has spawned on top of a wall but the trial hasn't been very long. I can still have problems with raiders making their way into my airlock, but that's the easiest way to space them. The problem occurs when I have miners in space who freak out and don't come inside before asphyxiating. I will have to try the maintenance tunnels... they do look cool.

Typically, my base has consisted of a small refinery attached to my starting airlock and hopefully a few more airlocks later on. I have a life support room, residence room and pub that I just keep expanding in three quadrants of a plane. Tragedy typically strikes before I have > 25 crew. The siren song of the derelicts will call out either my technicians or builders to their doom (trying to destruct them before technicians go for a picnic, but the first thing they do is destruct the airlock), or too many rounds of invaders will cull my fleet of technicians.

I haven't yet made such a pretty base as above. I usually try to accept all newcomers so I'm constantly expanding until tragedy causes my base to go into a death-spiral. I just restart when I lose key population now.

Managed to reach a population of over 50 people! It definitely wasn't easy.

E2A1796F2E471D5D65B5EAC625C31081966D147F

Unfortunately things weren't going so great after that.

B9FFA96F07DE1A28A3AF4CE4E78EE7C027880591

In fact they kept getting worse.

BEE2D0AEA496613B9544537548AB024F94E8DCC7

"Everybody have a drink, it's on me."

60C3BC91602DA5344B1EC281E5F83D34988E3888

8509D626DBEA54E6A3AE5720C410B27718FED498

Ooh, that looks like a pretty ingenious setup. Might have to try that myself. :D

Oh, it is! Saved my ass so many times... Unfortunately, couldn't save me from lazy technicians, and I lost this base ):

EDIT:

Nearly finished it now! And I noticed that my access tunnels/airlock deathtraps aren't shown all too clear. I'll lower the walls next time (:

So this is what he's doing when he's not composing music for the game...

2013-10-25_00001.jpg

2013-10-25_00001.jpg.cad6b64d841bc55a662

I really need to get around to posting a base. I've been doing a lot of base defense ideas using walls and the such and testing them out. Some are really kind of buggy (and I've posted those as bugs). I have to say The most effective and lease buggy base defense seems to but an outer hallway that connects to your base and runs around the outside of it. Toss a few airlocks (but do not zone it) along the outside and you can just let pirates dock and while they run the outside you can just use the locks to vent them into space. If you don't mind some buggy action doubling your outer wall breaks their ability to create a functional docking ring. This forces them to use your airlock or stay on their ship. Making them easy to deal with.

I really think they need to make pirates work deferentially. At this point they are only a threat early game when your still getting started. After that there are some fairly easy ways to turn them into only an annoyance/matter income.

I was pretty close, but this thread just tipped me over into buying the game. Good stuff, everyone. I'm looking forward to building my own.

I was pretty close, but this thread just tipped me over into buying the game. Good stuff, everyone. I'm looking forward to building my own.

One of us! One of us!