Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bluntie

Post your Spacebases!

Did some fiddling with some construction methods. Wanted to make a colony of these little guys (pic 1), but meandering citizens along with rooms with low O2 availability always ended up in disaster immediately (any rooms with more than 3 people ended up in suffocation/depressurized rooms). I think having a main (practical) base first then maybe trying to make these little guys would bear more fruit.

Edit: Used the same build methods to make another, more accommodating, base (Last pic).

2013-12-28_00001.jpg

2013-12-28_00004.jpg

2013-12-28_00007.jpg

2013-12-28_00001.jpg.482d610b83dc83ccf53

2013-12-28_00004.jpg.9836fc5c1a27b7b348b

2013-12-28_00007.jpg.5833ad770a3d177cd07

I've tried building multiple, small bases as well, and I encountered the same problem - a tiny satellite base will quickly run out of O2 and kill inhabitants when too many colonists invariably wander in. This tends to happen even when you have a main base that holds the majority of your space peeps. I'm still interested in making something like that work, but I can't think of a solution.

I've tried building multiple, small bases as well

small bases are too expensive to keep them working, the only solution is to not construct them but the big one (or several), imho

ShooMonFoo: love how you optimized space building walls around things. i will do the same for more efficiency with my next base

Finally did some playing again now with a new base.

Also tried out creating an extremely big room I must say the oxygen flow with extremely huge rooms is fun.

Had to create 2 doors to it at least just to get enough air flowing in and npc's that entered couldn't leave because of the wind rushing through the doors. While the huge room was filling up with oxygen.

2013-12-29_00002.jpg

2013-12-29_00002.jpg.d6dc358e0bbebc05e02

@Alephred & mr_vads, Yeah not feasible yet, i'm sure down the line it might be though. Ima try this each build maybe.

@KillerB, Thanks! If you do that for your O2 you have to force your doors open.

@nulian, It's a Frankenbase! SO SICK! I've never just went into a game and tried everything at once like that. Really cool.

@KillerB, Thanks! If you do that for your O2 you have to force your doors open.

my doors are always forced open. :)

I finally hit 150 population. Morale is suffering so I deleted some to minimize the amount of objects needing repairs. I told people to stop coming to my base as they use up more oxygen which needs more recyclers. I'm going to attempt to save it by building as many ordinary plants as possible. You can see that I was planning for the future with the empty area in the bottom right, perhaps for new types of rooms in later builds.

And for full disclosure, this is based off a bug that I used to get half a million matter for the start.

spacebasejim1.jpg

spacebasejim1.jpg.101372772367546cb87260

The game is crashing and stuttering often, so it's been a pain to get there, but I finally hit 200 population. I had reached it a nearly a dozen times only to have the game crash before I could save it or while it was attempting to save. I thought I defeated alpha 3B at 199 pop.

I have ordinary plants filling up nearly every single square in populated areas to keep the morale up enough. I think I'm at 90 technicians and the oxygen recyclers appear stable at 78-99% quality.

Tips for high population game saves:

-Starting the game takes forever before people know what they're doing again, so you should pause the game for a minute or so. If you drag the map around and it still stutters, not everyone has activities assigned yet.

-If you play at fastest speed, keep an eye on people getting sucked around life support rooms. The middle speed appears the fastest you can go with stability.

If you want to play with the game save, it's here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2090222/spacebasedf9/bigbase1pop200.sav

It's 4.7MB, and your cpu will get hammered. Consider yourself warned.

Steam claims I'm at 64 hours of gameplay, and I think I've got about 30 hours into this one base. I did use the infinite matter bug to start out, but all the ordinary plants caused me to mine and demolish derelicts.

spacebasejim2.jpg

spacebasejim2.jpg.65844e02ea73b283c3bd6f

Wow, just looked through and everyone has been making pretty awesome bases. Space bases. (My inner geek loves saying that!)

I play Theme Hospital a lot, and I'm used to the left- or right-facing objects in 90º rotation. Armed with this, and after a week of bases that either suffered from Vacuum Syndrome or Not Enough Technician Disorder, I present to you the currently unnamed, diamond-shaped base that has so far managed to not end in total disaster:

Screen Shot 2014-01-07 at 23.14.59.png

578d0053891e7_ScreenShot2014-01-07at23.1

only got to 50 ~pop, but the lag gets pretty bad for me at this point.

Tried to leave the hallways open for expansion, put in reactors, etc

D96911F3E95108571E59A5EB572887C4C6B00E5E

Population 120 and this spacebase is all about fallback and survival.

The front (bottom left) is sectioned off for the best of the best. Only 5 star and the high quality characteristics are allowed here. Should anything else happen to the rest of the base, they would hopefully survive and continue on civilization.

In the event of a minor amount (<20) of Deeply Sad characters running about, they are quarantined to the very top right where the rehabilitation zones are. They are cut off from the rest of society and forced to socialize with each other and fulfill their duties. Even the saddest technician can repair all the equipment located here. Once they are at neutral or higher, they are released back into society.

In the event of a major catastrophe that may happen to one of the arms or wings of the base, the central hub can be sealed shut, segmenting it into 4 zones. Then one of the zones can be abandoned 'til the threat is neutralized.

In the event of critical failure where nobody is able to repair anything (everyone is deeply depressed), a choice can be made to seal off everything but the beds and life support on the very edges of the base. Builders can build food replicators to survive the apocalypse. This is obviously a last ditch effort if everything else fails and most of the base needs to be abandoned.

246090_screenshots_2014-01-08_00002.jpg

246090_screenshots_2014-01-08_00002.jpg.

91 residents so far, and this base is the only thing in the whole sector. Not even a derelict or spacerock remains.

Raiders come to inspect my airlocks from time to time, only to be greeted by 20+ security putting aside their beers to insta-gib them.

FCAB72AD34CED2543E3E413737308A26AD0D252D

Steam claims I'm at 64 hours of gameplay, and I think I've got about 30 hours into this one base. I did use the infinite matter bug to start out, but all the ordinary plants caused me to mine and demolish derelicts.

YEAH, ha, with all those plants can your folks even mover around?! :P

YEAH, ha, with all those plants can your folks even mover around?! :P

Yes, people can walk through some items like plans, monitors, residential carpet/cabinets, etc. The hard part is there's almost no spots to click on the room itself to see the room's oxygen level.

I noticed early on that the bar was using up lots of oxygen which is why I have more life support rooms added onto it as the base expanded.

Nothing much yet, but I'm slowly building. :)

i would suggest food replicators, stat! ;)

Thanks for the tip! Gotta mine first tho. Can't even build another oxygen scrubber. lol

Here is my base. I admit after browsing the forums I have ran into a bit of a paranoia / what do I do now sort of feeling. I really like my base and the fact that everyone is entirely happy and I can expand if I want to, but at this point it seems like building a base BIGGER is kind of counterproductive to your survival. I more envision my base as a small tight knit community that can live forever rather then a iffy metropolis that could fall to it's doom with the sneeze of a raider or space debris lol.

14DB75EA58237F49ACB7CAA4D80224452CDC5AFA

thought i posted an update on my base.. anyway here is how it looks in its current state.

sSv99Q8.jpg

I posted this in another thread, but I thought I'd share the image here, too. It's not a base, per se, but close enough. Murderbots, I wuv U.

This happened when a Kill-bot ship appeared as a derelict, and did not attach to my main base. When they don't attach, they have no doors or airlocks, so you cannot send Security in to sweep the ship. I demolished all the walls instead, and got no reaction whatsoever from the robots. So I carved their ship into this shape to express the depths of my robo-love.

Chillin.jpg

Wuv.jpg

hostiles.jpg

Chillin.jpg.2c77a9b548b8aafef339a3740316

Wuv.jpg.3b0284c5a2f9598f7cce8c25a98253ba

hostiles.jpg.f2d288030664a7142b50738cfba

thought i posted an update on my base.. anyway here is how it looks in its current state.

Awesome! How long did that take to build?

Awesome! How long did that take to build?

30-50 hours or so if gameplay, a bunch of reloads tho when bugs killed many crew. ;)

tho iv lost 20-30 crew from me being an idiot, or crew being idiots being spaced or killed by flames..

So I carved their ship into this shape to express the depths of my robo-love.

that so cute!

do what i did, make a corridor to your moat and use them as base defense. ;)

30-50 hours or so if gameplay, a bunch of reloads tho when bugs killed many crew. ;)

tho iv lost 20-30 crew from me being an idiot, or crew being idiots being spaced or killed by flames..

hehehe Cool. I have yet to play again since the last patch and my dismal failure at a first station. lol

hehehe Cool. I have yet to play again since the last patch and my dismal failure at a first station. lol

this is base attempt number 7... i have big plans for base number 8. ;)

this is base attempt number 7... i have big plans for base number 8. ;)

Here's number 2 for me. Can someone please suggest what next and in what order? I know I need a refinery. In my last attempt, I ran out of ore. :( Suggestions would be most appreciated!

2014-02-16_00001.jpg

2014-02-16_00001.jpg.9f97fbc2773908b06ca

Sign in to follow this