Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bluntie

Post your Spacebases!

Refinery next, then I believe a place to get food, and a bedroom. Then you are probably looking at a place to work out to get happiness up. When done with that, and having enough people, build an agricultural area; first step to better food. I'd say to finish that up with a pub/kitchen. But that's just my logic.

Why are we not building bathrooms in space-base? (Didn't think of it till now, but whatever.)

If I could make a suggestion: don't build 3 Oxygen Recyclers right away (even if you build a big room that will eventually hold more). Start with just one or two, because

a) you're not using that extra O2, and

b) you need that precious starting matter to build your Refinery, so you can start mining.

If I could make a suggestion: don't build 3 Oxygen Recyclers right away (even if you build a big room that will eventually hold more). Start with just one or two, because

a) you're not using that extra O2, and

b) you need that precious starting matter to build your Refinery, so you can start mining.

Thanks for that tip! How exactly do I build the refinery and start mining ore? That was my mistake with my 1st base.

I find I actually need to rush to get four O2 recyclers. There's more than enough matter for all four AND a matter refinery AND all the walls AND just enough to get one bedroom started. O2 recyclers don't quite produce enough O2 for 3 people, presumably because they're never at 100% condition, so you need a few extra to handle the soon-incoming [del]migrants[/del] crewmembers. NOT taking care of that O2 problem early means you risk dipping below that magic 30-ish threshold where your base refuses to do anything but panic about how there's not enough air.

My order: airlock, O2 recycler, refinery, set one worker to miner, second O2 recycler, food replicator, fire alarms, third and fourth O2 recyclers, bedrooms, bar, research, start research on improved matter refinery, bedrooms again if needed, garden, bedrooms again, fitness, BEDROOMS. If you're just going to put everyone in a dormitory with no privacy, you can probably knock the bedrooms out in fewer goes. When you first build your O2 recyclers, plan ahead: the modified O2 recyclers you'll eventually want to upgrade to need a 4x4 space and take up 2x2 tiles themselves.

For base design, I prefer designs that can be easily expanded while remaining compact and easily navigable. Here's my WIP of a [del]nazi space anus[/del] swirling eye design, ultra compact with the [del]anus[/del] eye holding the airlocks so that I can expand ever-outwards as my population grows.

The main hallway is broken up into a bunch of Life Support rooms with modified O2 recyclers: I always make my hallways into Life Support rooms to ensure oxygen reaches all parts of the station evenly, and each machine gets its own room so that as crew wanders around the station they'll get multiple happy thoughts. The double-doorways are forced open to facilitate airflow and allow security to quickly take down any surprise birthday parties

There's a reactor room for when we eventually need power to supply the station, and the crew is housed in individual bedrooms for privacy (at least once they start caring about it). The bedrooms are built in a [del]swastika[/del] swirl pattern to make room for little mini-hallways to connect the inner hallways to the next hallway once it's built.

I can keep expanding like this indefinitely, occasionally replacing some bedrooms with fitness centers or perhaps knocking down some walls to expand the bar if necessary. Refineries are outside for faster mining, though I'm considering pumping air into them so that miners are FORCED to refuel their air tanks every time they deposit matter, even if it slows them down a little.

602D2BF28FCFA6312D8E9A448754060AA3ECBF52

Very cool! Can you please explain in detail how to setup a refinery? Like I said, that was my initial mistake, and suddenly I was at 0 matter and couldn't do anything...

is an old video, but it should answer your question. page 5 on their home page if the video won't work from that link. (You got to about 10:21 just fine, but at 13:47 he starts actually putting in the refinery.

is an old video, but it should answer your question. page 5 on their home page if the video won't work from that link.

Great, thank you! :D

My bases start out with a plan (check out the remnants of my air corridor running down the middle), but they all seem to devolve into messy, but functional, rat-mazes. My current base looks like a mess, but morale is very good and maintenance is great. Ugly, but functional.

base.jpg

base.jpg.98aae57cb9bddebb1bf26ea6725a5c4

so i decided it was time.

time to start fresh.

to do it right.

so here is my eighth attempt at building a base..

cwZdW1J.jpg

looking good so far.

a few hours l8r upgrades are done..

qdUA6EV.jpg

EECE4F6AF3D69763C6EFB1414C2AD9A6DD3CD50A

The completed [del]Nazi Space Anus[/del] Swirling Eye, or at least the first residential ring. I'll add more rings as my population grows and as matter allows.

spacebase.jpg

It's going to get scraped for a new one soon because I want to retry my previous design that completely failed in alpha 4a (everything fell apart). Don't get me wrong, it is an excellent base. It just doesn't have enough beds, that corner space is wasted, the refinery is too big (about to become obsolete), and the garden/pub should be bigger.

I managed to take this picture of my base between two meteor strikes. Look at all my happy people, none of whom are dying.

Well... three did immediately after the next meteor strike because they were vented into space, damnit.

Also, I'm beginning to like using life support as a central corridor, it works well!

Screen Shot 2014-02-22 at 11.43.39.png

578d006a1bb36_ScreenShot2014-02-22at11.4

I managed to take this picture of my base between two meteor strikes. Look at all my happy people, none of whom are dying.

Well... three did immediately after the next meteor strike because they were vented into space, damnit.

Also, I'm beginning to like using life support as a central corridor, it works well!

Very cool! I'm really digging this one!

I really really dig some of the round designs shown on the first pages of this thread and I think putting hallways all around the base is a very clever idea, especially because you don't have to worry about docking ships so much. I personally "invented" a system where the airlocks are separated from the main base through hallways so that I can lock up invaders in said hallway, rezone the airlock and open one door to vent out all of the air. However, I still have to see if this works, haven't had any invaders since I had that idea. Please ignore the airship docked to one of the bedrooms (which are named after space-related stuff and sorted alphabetically... I'm a name nerd) it will get demolished after the last derelict is done.

2014-02-25_00001_zps3e7395a6.jpg

As you can see, the hallways only have few doors and are only used by those entering or exiting the base. The rest is not cleverly designed, I started with the southmost airlock and the connecting hallway (the life support right above that airlock was the first one) and then just went on with it.

2014-02-25_00002_zps42e07e60.jpg

I also incorporated the seed into the design ;) Also my pubs are named after "famous" spaceships of tv series and films. The northmost one is called "Enterprise Restaurant" :D

To be honest I've only ever watched the voyager series (I'm sparing that ship and the galactica for larger pubs) but the enterprise is cult and thus I couldn't miss out on it :D

In fact I'm more a fan of battlestar galactica and firefly... But you can't miss out on star trek if you like the sci-fi / spaceship theme.

To be honest I've only ever watched the voyager series (I'm sparing that ship and the galactica for larger pubs) but the enterprise is cult and thus I couldn't miss out on it :D

In fact I'm more a fan of battlestar galactica and firefly... But you can't miss out on star trek if you like the sci-fi / spaceship theme.

I am going well ship wise, but I can't keep the population up (stupid suicidal builders going to the wrong airlocks 1 after the other) :-S

space base.jpg

578d006ed09bc_spacebase.jpg.f4d2b6676b70

It's not much but this is my most successful base so far. A few Very Sad people here and there but who am i to tell people how to feel.

2014-03-21_00003.jpg

2014-03-21_00003.jpg.4acab00085f3705ce31

It's not much but this is my most successful base so far. A few Very Sad people here and there but who am i to tell people how to feel.

Very nice! Great work! :)

I call this The Acorn. I tried to keep things as simple as possible, but no more than that. . .

Current population: 120

No one is sad (which seems like a bigger feat to me).

The Acorn 120.jpg

578d006f4d627_TheAcorn120.jpg.2e10d644ea

I call this The Acorn. I tried to keep things as simple as possible, but no more than that. . .

Current population: 120

No one is sad (which seems like a bigger feat to me).

Uh oh! You're infected!

have not been playing in a wile, notice update, and WOW what a performance boost!

its been hard going, many crew die in clipping accidents, or busted hull from debris..

cyogLph.jpg

7ndLmiW.jpg

also taken to start building outside refinery's

09fgBGS.jpg

now im ready for 200+ crew, if my computer can handle it.

Things have finally clicked into place and my latest base is my best yet! Now if only everyone weren't so depressed ;)

Screenshot 2014-04-05 14.10.48.png

578d006f9a26e_Screenshot2014-04-0514.10.

Sign in to follow this