Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bluntie

Post your Spacebases!

Things have finally clicked into place and my latest base is my best yet! Now if only everyone weren't so depressed ;)

Very cool! May I post this on my Spacebase fan group?

seems this is how my base attemt nr 8 ended.. cant save game after this point of gameplay, just hangs..

H5DiVoK.jpg

What the heck.. do none of you people use teh perfectly working emergency alarms?

to what end?

What the heck.. do none of you people use teh perfectly working emergency alarms?

to what end?

Nevermind :)

Here is my new base, It will eventually be a Donut station.

?ACT=36&fid=58&aid=3960_KLEMIGjAW2VkXv1PC4tC&board_id=1

You notice I have 3 airlocks.. I plan to put airlocks on all main rooms eventually.

You should also notice the airlock doors.. the ones in the science and botany areas are for show.. But the airlocks on the outsides of all the rooms, are openable, whenever I want.. if I have a fire I simply have to activate the emergency alarm, seal the room and open the airlock

The fire snuffs itself out...

Its also handy for killing any unfortunate raiders lest they enter a room alone.. I simply open the airlock when they are near and.. GOODBYE RAIDER.

I have a large dormitory (eventually I will have 4 of these on the inside perimeter of the station.)

I actually have one of my rooms vented at the moment.. (just to show)

My people are all quite happy.. except my miners.

Capture.png

Capture.png.d5c594386d8f23c5efc687d07bb7

You should also notice the airlock doors.. the ones in the science and botany areas are for show.. But the airlocks on the outsides of all the rooms, are openable, whenever I want.. if I have a fire I simply have to activate the emergency alarm, seal the room and open the airlock

. . .

I have a large dormitory (eventually I will have 4 of these on the inside perimeter of the station.)

Why is none of the stuff being blasted out of the airlock? Yeah, I know that makes things more complicated, but you are creating a vacuum, so shouldn't at least some types of stuff get blasted out as well? Beds? I guess you can call them nailed down, but certainly not carpet!

. . .

Why is none of the stuff being blasted out of the airlock? Yeah, I know that makes things more complicated, but you are creating a vacuum, so shouldn't at least some types of stuff get blasted out as well? Beds? I guess you can call them nailed down, but certainly not carpet!

Are you being serious?

I suppose that does make sense...

Do you think they should implement that?

(btw I have a more updated version of this station now..) its quite sweet.

From The office of [del]Base Administrator[/del] Glorious Leader UntrustedLife

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The donut base... Its about 25% complete....

We have had several misfortunate accidents already..one where half of my citizens suffocated in there sleep from lack of oxygen.......... (I need to eventually add a life support zone to the other side of the base (what will be the middle of the donut) because sealing the oxygen/getting a breach in the hallways tends to cut off the second half of the base from oxygen.

We recovered of course, not without loss.....

?ACT=36&fid=58&aid=3969_lqGD40meCQIrovPuXevI&board_id=1

Security is getting trigger happy, no darlicts have drifted by in quite a long time. Several of them have started to drink while on duty. And they have been harassing other citizens.

The "Donut Bar" as it is now called, has been renovated , and is now also a relatively nice restaurant.The citizens are loving it.

The [del]propaganda[/del] Monitors/Other Decor around the station are keeping most of my citizens very [del]oblivious[/del] happy as-well all things considered.. this base is coming along very nicely..

--------------------------------------------------------------

<-End Log->

Capture2.png

Capture2.png.2457971d74ba4f9199848f6a291

Trying to break 100. Morale is starting to slip so I had to turn additional rooms reserved for Reactors and mineral processing to life support. I have a 25 person base that I build and this is 4 of them added together. I suppose I could keep adding 25 person modules, but once I hit 80-90 residents my game crashed every 5 min.

The four 3x3 rooms with the plants are "docking ports" to funnel boarding vessels to points I can either space them or absorb them, as the double walls seems to prevent docking vessels everywhere else.

D0221EBF65D0B9E90AE056C82976697C3D30547D

Here's one I built recently... Not the largest I've had, but I keep getting frustrated with people suffocating in their suits or getting sucked into space because the airlocks are malfunctioning and don't cycle correctly... a problem that inevitably starts to occur more frequently as the base and its population expand. The design of the airlocks here was an attempt to save unsuited people from getting sucked out, but the problem hasn't started yet on this save.

Oh, and the body is a raider who managed to make it past my hall-venting trap - he shot the other doors open too quickly and rushed in before the air got thin enough to suck him out.

Nice Ship-shape Base.png

578d0071de901_NiceShip-shapeBase.png.efe

Kvwpwr8.jpg

Sp7eJ5U.jpg

this is how i sit in wait for alpha five

hydroponics bay filled up fridges, currently have 1747 food in them, so, to give some botanists a break from not having anything to do, i transferred many of them to security, were most of them seem to enjoy the verity of walking the base from end to end all day long, its been weeks since the last parasite attack but you never know, the more security the better. Same goes for techs, many of them now pace the ship.. Even so i had to invent more things for my tech to do, so i built a room of fire extinguishers just for them to fix occasionally. it works.

i guess i could cram in another 40-50 plants in my base... hum...

With Alpha 5 arriving any day now, I thought I might post a couple of pics from my long-running Alpha 4 base, in the hopes that someone might find it entertaining.

Here's the overview. For the curious, the base started at the southwest airlock, and grew predominantly north and east from there.

DF9_Overview.jpg

There are a lot of corridors and doors on this base, and no room edges directly onto the vacuum of space if i can help it. As the forum has discussed, compartmentalizing your base essentially "buffers" your citizens from various disasters.

Whether it's fire, decompression, rampaging raiders, or whatever, a problem in one area of your base can be slowed down (or sealed off) so that it doesn't suddenly become the whole base's problem, all at once.

You'll also notice that, while it's a fairly large base, there's only one Pub. (Named The Raven, in honor of my favorite, now-defunct, bar. Sniff!)

DF9_PubRaven.jpg

After some discussion here on the forum, and some in-game trial-and-error, I discovered that one smallish Pub with a mere six tables, plus a Food Replicator and many (12+ at this point) Bartenders on staff seemed to keep the Pub running (and feeding) `round the clock.

I also left my initial Replicator in the "Arrivals Lounge" near my original airlock as a safety measure -- but hungry citizens who can't be bothered to find the Pub tend to eat directly from the Garden Zones, I've noticed.

I tried building a second Pub as the game progressed, but it actually made things far worse; this setup seems to keep the Bartenders and their clients in constant contact with one another

Note that the base's original Garden Zone ("Arden") is right across the hall from the Pub. This is absolutely intentional on my part, and seems to serve the setup well.

The glut of Bartenders is a means to get around the weird "Bartenders Who Stand Around Waiting For Food And Drink When They Should Be Working" AI bug we've all endured. With a sufficent number of Bartenders on base, somebody's always working, night or day.

Anyway ...

You'll also notice that there are a lot of distinct citizen quarters on this base. I had been building big "barracks-style" quarters in my previous bases. The upside was that these barracks were both fast and cheap to create.

Unfortunately, the large barracks-style spaces brought with it the potential for big problems in areas like oxygen distribution; fires; decompression and raiders.

So, inspired by a design I saw on one of Double Fine's derelicts, I started building rows of compatmentalized two-citizen quarters, and furnished them with mood-enhancing furnishings to push back against the Always Deeply Sad bug.

DF9_Quarters.jpg

The quarters are small -- the auto-assessor won't even realize they can hold two beds -- they're typically 5 x4 build squares, for a total of 20.

An Emergency Alarm and a Fire Extinguisher are the first things I built in each room. I never added additional furnishings until these were built.

DF9_Furnishings.jpg

As far as numbers go, I discovered that having about half the number of beds available as you have citizens on your base works, and leaves room for some growth between building spates.

More than half of your base's citizenry tends to be awake at any given time, so empty bunks shouldn't be hard to find.

These techniques definitely helped me build a long-lived base during Alpha 4. Who knows what the changes in Alpha 5 will bring, but I'm excited to find out!

Cheers,

LL

Even inactive, you have to admit it sets up a helpful guide for new players. Gives a number of tricks and tips for along the way.

nullo();5"]What the heck.. do none of you people use teh perfectly working emergency alarms?

I do :3

Anyway, my second base:

base2.png

Compartmentalization, alarms, turrets and all useful rooms being surrounded by easily-evacuated corridors make dealing with non-killbot invaders really easy: just activate alarms in all affected rooms to expel all citizens, lock them down&seal; oxygen, wait for the boarders, space them! And the killbots get dealt with by turrets after everyone's out.

I keep my sleeping space at about half the population size, and it works great, as can be seen here. Unoccupied beds are available all the time. The alarms also ensure that I don't get any "I need techs/builders/botanists/doctors/security RIGHT NOW and they're all in bed" moments.

Compartmentalizing life-support and other vital zones and not using them as corridors is also very useful when dealing with meteorite showers and hull breaches ("sucked into space" being the second-most-frequent death cause among the populace; "gunshot wound" is the first).

I'm also thinking of enclosing the refinery and adding a small airlock and an obligatory emergency-decompression door to it, as all minable matter is really far away right now.

Here's my current base... playing on a Mac so can't really keep a population higher than 50 without the game slowing to a crawl...

I'm also suffering distressingly low frame rates on a MBP with a dodgey graphics card, however I was able to punch through the 200 pop milestone leveraging a multi-base work a round and micro management of alcoholic bartenders. Genesis of the base below:

Sub 50 pop.

Spacebase-DF9.png

At 50 pop the base got decimated down to 9 colonists so i shut down 30-40% of the base to compensate. By the time I rid the base of 'Deeply Sad Syndrome' and got my pop. back up to 50, I learned how to change the popn. cap ;-) A quick coin toss decided that I'd go for broke. about then a different VIP 'class' of derelict landed near my base and converted it to suit my needs as a sub-colony.

Sub-colony Pic

Spacebase-DF9.png

There are various issues with the multi base approach, but it allowed me to keep 10-15% of my colonists in transit which kept the O2 situation in check, averting the need to have a ridiculous number of recyclers.

The pub on the sub-colony doesn't work with the current AI behaviors, at least not for me in this case but it was worth a try. I couldn't get it to function smoothly for mining either which would have been outstanding. When we can group workers and zone their residences it will be a no brainer.

So the main colony isn't pretty but it manages mood and O2 well and deals with emergencies without any fuss (save for breaches).

Spacebase-DF9.png

I didn't think it was possible to keep a base viable past 100 pop, so I learned a lot and felt a sense of simulated achievement. I've kept a save file, so hopefully I can continue building it when grouping and zoning workers becomes a reality. That is likely going to be a major game changer.

Please share your bases and keep this thread alive, it's really inspiring for noobs like me. Let's build bases to the moon!

So, hello everyone, I began my base like this, and I thought "I should use this lifesupport as hallway" ...

2014-07-28_00003-46eb34d.jpg

It look like it's ok, let's go further

2014-07-28_00005-46eb353.jpg

Everyone seems happy, should add some beds

2014-07-28_00007-46eb35a.jpg

More place, the pub is goin' to be bigger

2014-07-28_00009-46eb360.jpg

Everything rules

I've set a double wall on the exterior walls, works fine

2014-07-28_00010-46e781b.jpg

Need more beds ...

2014-07-28_00014-46eb371.jpg

'k, time for some modifications, let's see the O² levels

2014-07-29_00011-46eb377.jpg

My base is too big fore one screenshot now, so, this is the north side

2014-07-31_00002-46eb37d.jpg

And the south side

2014-07-31_00003-46eb381.jpg

Hope you enjoyed those

(sorry for my english again, it's not my motherlanguage)

:)

@dj xtrm killer I would build doors in your life support rooms aka hallways. If there is a breach on one point in that hallways your whole base will be fucked.... be careful! ^^

@dj xtrm killer I would build doors in your life support rooms aka hallways. If there is a breach on one point in that hallways your whole base will be fucked.... be careful! ^^

Ok thx for the advice :coolsmile:

AgIEM9D.jpg

since last post, 4 moths ago i lost ~30 crew members, gotten a doctors office with cool beds, upgraded base security with both external and internal gun turrets and found plans for to upgrade them and have done so, built two new airlocks, built fire extinguisher stations where ever i can and built a power station, crew seems unable to patch it in tho ;) More beds, more potted plants, upgraded fridges,

awaiting alpha 6...

its not much fun playing but i have had some fun following a guy around his/her work day a few times

a typical day for anyone, even ecstatic ppl seems very empty and depressing..

Wake up

Eat

Drink

Drink

Drink

Chat

Drink

Chat

Work

Work

Chat

Drink

Drink

Chat

Work

Chat

Work out

Go to bed

rinse, repeat

i would like to build a movie theater, disco, jail etc..

plenty of resources left on the map if i needed them for new alphas, i tho get enough from docking ships and raider bodies i blow out of the sky.

kNvArKV.jpg

ZsFwy9a.jpg

So I recently began this base, it is unfinished, but it is modeled after the spacestation from SS13, I made sure to put everything in the right approximate locations.(based on memory only, i didnt use a map)

The pub,medbay/botany/residence area (the crew quarters in ss13) all in pretty exact locations (based on bay12/paridise station), the maintenance shafts are very close to where they are in ss13, the mining /cargo area as-well.

The botany also takes up where the "Kitchen" is since we have no specific kitchen room (I suppose i could have put a part of the pub there and it would have worked though)

I put Atmos, in the correct corner of the base, but i think its a little off of where it was, but it is connected to the miming area like it should be. There is room for a QM area (if we ever get a place where we can ship off raw materials , it will be right next to mining and atmos.)

I even put a "sign" that welcomes people to ss13 (one of the monitors is renamed )

It seems very effective , oxygen is propagated perfectly, and the maintenance shafts are great for allowing techs easy access to all of the areas for quick fixing (if anything gets damaged a tech gets there pretty much instantly from wherever they were last because of the maintenance shafts., and make it very quick to navigate the station. Also very quick for security to get to places I want them to get to. Very quick response times for beacons,

qojEuYv.jpg

VEecSSa.jpg

The maintenance shafts double as a raider trap, i can easily sap the oxygen from any maintenance shaft extremely quickly if any raiders get there, and i can easily lock them out of the rest of the base. Or sap the oxygen from any given room because they are all connected to at least one maintenance shaft, and most of the maintenance shafts are connected as-well.

Link to album:

http://imgur.com/kNvArKV,ZsFwy9a,qojEuYv,VEecSSa#3

Labled Map:

Zu7s9FL.jpg

Actual ss13 map

TgstationSimple.png

QK8yjt5.jpg

managed learn how to play alpha 6b now, base is more or less stable with most ppl being in the right place in the right job being very happy.

13 ppl in prison at the moment, somtimes they starve to death even tho they have a replicator..

two flanks are largely unprotected against raider ships thanks to external turrents bugging but one side is covered and i got power enough

pls note the extra protection in the bottom left corner for the prison, now a raider or crazy person needs to break down 9 heavy doors in order to let prisoners escape.

I don't like this base build.

i can tell. ;) but it works, grab the save and try it.;)

post ur alpha 6b base!

my last alpha 5 base was supposed to be a 6+1 room layout with 4 major rooms (residence, pub, garden, gym) 15x15 / resp 16x15 (gym/res) and two minor ones (infirmary & research) 4xN (variable) surrounded by a big generator room full of turrets, corridor in the middle 3x(31+walls+walkway besides inf+res) Life support with standard scrubbers and antivirals, surrounding hallway 5 wide for modified recyclers.

In my opinion that was the best possible layout prior to A6- alas, A6 hit first.

my last alpha 5 base was supposed to be a 6+1 room layout with 4 major rooms (residence, pub, garden, gym) 15x15 / resp 16x15 (gym/res) and two minor ones (infirmary & research) 4xN (variable) surrounded by a big generator room full of turrets, corridor in the middle 3x(31+walls+walkway besides inf+res) Life support with standard scrubbers and antivirals, surrounding hallway 5 wide for modified recyclers.

In my opinion that was the best possible layout prior to A6- alas, A6 hit first.

You don't need corridors, except for brigs. They are just a waste of matter and a possible citizen danger (hallway vacuum) in my opinion and every base layout who has those is not very good in my opinion... And you really don't need air scrubblers... and their system is broken and bad anyway...

I don't like this base build.

i can tell. ;) but it works, grab the save and try it.;)

post ur alpha 6b base!

Meh. I like mine much, much more... and it's bigger xD

Sign in to follow this