Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bluntie

Post your Spacebases!

That's interesting, using life support for hallways. I also like the pub in the middle of the base, that makes sense (:

Although, if one of the life supports were to fail, don't you put people in the residence at risk also?

My most successful attempt so far. In previous builds I needed a ridiculous amount of techs to keep it running and it would catch fire every other minute. So now I'm sticking to a single tech corridor for the most important stuff in hopes to make them work more efficient. Any derelict shows up the first thing I do is take out all the life support, beds, etc. and then the inner doors. Keeps the techs from running off and maintaining stuff not in my base. What also seems to help is having a small central pub. Everyone's there and people chat more often than in a larger one. And you've got to stuff everything with plants :)

Screen Shot 2013-10-27 at 00.02.13.png

578d00408b458_ScreenShot2013-10-27at00.0

That's interesting, using life support for hallways. I also like the pub in the middle of the base, that makes sense (:

Although, if one of the life supports were to fail, don't you put people in the residence at risk also?

You'd think so, but the pub is a far greater risk; there are always more people in it using up the air. A residence will last much longer. A pub on the outside of the base is quite dangerous. However, now that I've played for a big longer and have a larger population, this one is nearly always full. I guess I can expand it into the hallways a bit, or even into the four corner rooms.

Been pretty happy with this base so far. Usually by this time, my base is in semi-chaos, but they've had only two boarding parties and one parasite problem, which has kept morale up enough for skills to still be increasing. I like the meandering "Oh, let's add another room here" look.

sprawlbase.png

sprawlbase.png.93aae7f36f5de5171efdffb26

Despite the parasite in space panicking or fighting the vast majority of my new folks, I think this was a fairly successful base.

Two separate base systems in one build.jpg

578d004109cf1_Twoseparatebasesystemsinon

got it to be surprisingly smooth running (18 at least level 3 technicians) , just need more rooms for variety now

04C874F2C04B20E4A1D958086E53A0CB6C74FE52

That is pretty nice. You even have a power plant.

got it to be surprisingly smooth running (18 at least level 3 technicians) , just need more rooms for variety now {image redacted}

That is pretty nice. You even have a power plant.

Actually a matter refinery...

I rather like how this one has turned out.

DF9-well-designed-base.png

Does the refinery actually work like that?

Does the refinery actually work like that?

Yes, although that may be a bug. The miners are much more efficient this way, because they use the airlock less often. However, you shouldn't mine anything far away, since they'll happily head out across the map with 2 minutes of air left.

Neat! What about when it needs technicians?

They go out in a suit to "maintain" it. They never actually caught this one on fire (was sad not to be able to report that as a bug), but they did occasionally break it.

yes I am fairly sure it is a bug... a bug I have used a few times myself because it is hella useful.

now i have a power plant and double outer walls (plus double walls for the powerplant)

I actually like the look of double walls and use them in places fairly often. Hopefully DF will clear up the issues with them.

I also would hope at some point we might just get a few diffrent wall (and door) types one of them being reinforced (double thick) walls.

now i have a power plant and double outer walls (plus double walls for the powerplant)

I actually like the look of double walls and use them in places fairly often. Hopefully DF will clear up the issues with them.

I also would hope at some point we might just get a few diffrent wall (and door) types one of them being reinforced (double thick) walls.

yeah, i just got worried about a raider blowing a hole in the wall in the bar and my entire crew being stupid enough to get sucked in to space, plus i guess if the fusion reactor explodes (in the future) the blast will be BIG!

Here's my best base so far. Double outer walls and more than enough room for a lot of crew. Now just need them to show up.

photo spacebase1_zpsebf99318.png

I like that you've basically made a Space Resort. Life support hallways is a really cool idea. It looks awesome.

Here's my current base which I'm using to test out and play around with some of the Alpha 2 stuff. JP said it was okay to post this!

base.jpg

Notice: The garden zone/food art is super early, in progress. (It's also why the food replicator is a storage locker with the word "food" written on it, and a hamburger sticking out of it) Technicians do their job a lot better now, so I can take risks like having a few extra O2 recyclers. I also had a spare room which I set as a reactor and put a bunch of plants in because my base is apparently actually a drug smuggling operation. I also turned the area with the Base Seed into a storage closet because I thought it was funny.

yes I am fairly sure it is a bug... a bug I have used a few times myself because it is hella useful.

It's not a bug, it's just a behavior that results from the rules of the game. We have no plans to fix it, we think it's awesome!

Notice: The garden zone/food art is super early, in progress. (It's also why the food replicator is a storage locker with the word "food" written on it, and a hamburger sticking out of it) Technicians do their job a lot better now, so I can take risks like having a few extra O2 recyclers. I also had a spare room which I set as a reactor and put a bunch of plants in because my base is apparently actually a drug smuggling operation. I also turned the area with the Base Seed into a storage closet because I thought it was funny.

i didn't know you could enclose the base seed, it should be the centerpiece of a spacebase museum

So do we have a confirmation on whether the refineries catch fire in space, or has DF programmed the fire to be dependent upon oxygen?

I believe fire eats up, and needs oxygen.

I like that you've basically made a Space Resort. Life support hallways is a really cool idea. It looks awesome.

Thanks

Programmer art!

Wow, you guys are really good at Spacebase!

Hey, I had you as a bartender on one of my spacebases!

Unfortunately at the time I was experimenting with narrow hallways and asphyxiation, so. . . yeah. . .

Sorry about that.

This is my current Spacebase. It is inspired by the Starbases of a browser-based game called Pardus.

At the moment it is just the central structure (the "command center", surrounded by a ring of 8 habitation modules), but the design will get significantly bigger. The 4 airlocks on the outer section of the habitation ring are the start of the pylons that stretch to the outer ring, which is where I will put more habitation, and where I will move the pubs to (need bigger ones, lol).

This is the second time I have reached this stage, and after the mistakes of the first time, I am deliberately keeping my crew as small as I can to consume as little oxygen as possible (the lack of Artificial Intelligence and the abundance Artificial Stupidity in my previous game refusing to fix or build new life support caused my crew of roughly 60-70 to asphyxiate almost simultaneously). If I manage to complete my Starbase, I will be posting the completed thing... That is, if my crew doesn't kill itself first...

auud.png

Also, are technicians supposed to fix doors? Mine never seem to want to go near them, and I end up needing to replace them...

EDIT: Now that I remember about it, on every one of my Spacebases, I somehow end up with a .5 value on my matter... This happen to anyone else?

This is my current Spacebase. It is inspired by the Starbases of a browser-based game called Pardus.

Also, are technicians supposed to fix doors? Mine never seem to want to go near them, and I end up needing to replace them...

EDIT: Now that I remember about it, on every one of my Spacebases, I somehow end up with a .5 value on my matter... This happen to anyone else?

Dude, I think you squared the circle. Seriously, it looks awesome.

No I've never had a door repaired by techs. I always end up replacing them. I end up with .5 on my matter all the time. I think it happens for me when demolishing derelicts.

Dude, I think you squared the circle. Seriously, it looks awesome.

No I've never had a door repaired by techs. I always end up replacing them. I end up with .5 on my matter all the time. I think it happens for me when demolishing derelicts.

Mmm, I used Paint.NET to plan my base out, however, it is not a perfect circle. In order to fit the beds properly, I needed to add just a bit of extra to the diagonal bits of it. Other than that, yes, I squared the circle, lol.

EDIT: This is my plan for the Starbase:

auuw.png

1 pixel represents 1 tile (you may need to download it, open it and zoom in or something to see the detail).

Key:

Black Wall

White Unzoned

Yellow Habitation

Cyan Life support

Red Reactor

Grey Refinery

Purple Pub

Orange Airlock

Green Garden (added in preparation for update)

Sign in to follow this