Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bluntie

Post your Spacebases!

An update from the large space base.

It's grown. I didn't get to fully furnish the new rooms but it's been about 4 hours since I started building them and I'm getting no where.

JdjH5xu.jpg

And it's kinda failing. Slowly. I think this design has a max capacity of 140-150 in the games current state. Got it up to 166 crew and still had oxygen at 69% at it's lowest. It's not completely doomed but it's not doing too well anymore. The game is also crashing every 20 minutes or so.

7n2VhtN.jpg

We lost a few guys on a mining expedition, the pub is overworked, mostly everybody are sad or worse and that affects the garden most of all the rooms. Got it up to 188 hydroponics though and it actually was working for a while and it could work again if I throw enough time at it. None of the food makes it to the refrigerators though since we got people eating it off the plants and the botanists are too busy with tending to withering crops. Not ideal.

ns0qF9J.jpg

So, before we sign off, here is 85 crew in one room. That must be some kind of record. I'm challenging the community to beat that. :P

CqEV9ix.jpg

And 10 crew in one airlock.

T1llS3E.jpg

There could be one more update left in this base but I think I'm gonna start over and figure out something bigger and better working. Maybe 2 huge life support zones on each end of the pub for better airflow. It's crazy but it's the right kind of crazy. The kind of crazy that just might work.

If the dev team want another save where the game is actually breaking I can mail it to you or upload it somewhere.

Well guys, Capt. Hateren signing out.

Goodbye old girl.

There are some epic bases here, especially Hateren47's 127+ population and the Starship Enterprise by JRuesi86.

My base started as one long corridor and morphed into something slightly phallic.

Can't wait to see this game expand, loving it!

LOL, yah I'd say it's slightly phallic, only slightly though. ;) seems you're about due for some of those religious nuts docking with your base. "You have built you base in an offensive shape, we're docking to alter it's shape and probably kill you."

Looks like the nuts have docked already.

There are some epic bases here, especially Hateren47's 127+ population and the Starship Enterprise by JRuesi86.

My base started as one long corridor and morphed into something slightly phallic.

Can't wait to see this game expand, loving it!

LOL, yah I'd say it's slightly phallic, only slightly though. ;) seems you're about due for some of those religious nuts docking with your base. "You have built you base in an offensive shape, we're docking to alter it's shape and probably kill you."

Looks like the nuts have docked already.

ROFL! that was a completely unintentional pun.

can I also point out the 'seed' pod right at the tip of his base.. I found this quite amusing. (I know, I'm so immature)

@bbgun06, looks awesome! I love the little inaccessible red rooms. Adds a touch of mystery to the base. It's like the thirteenth floor for your space base.

Thanks, that's where the lurkers live...

If the dev team want another save where the game is actually breaking I can mail it to you or upload it somewhere.

Yeah, another save file would be great. Thanks again, amazing work!

Two semi-educated guesses as to why bases above a certain very large size fail:

- travel distances between important places gets too far, people spend too much time traveling to some need-fulfilling activities to be in the black.

- ticks for AIs happening so far apart (the game spreads out each AI's think cycle over multiple frames) that more sim time passes between each, leading to reduced effectiveness. (Matt would be able to clarify/correct me on this)

- travel distances between important places gets too far, people spend too much time traveling to some need-fulfilling activities to be in the black.

- ticks for AIs happening so far apart (the game spreads out each AI's think cycle over multiple frames) that more sim time passes between each, leading to reduced effectiveness. (Matt would be able to clarify/correct me on this)

Yea, at this point a base should be falling into utter chaos anyway once the game is finished.Very smart with the AI there, I have never figured out a good way of programming that.... (I am majoring in CS)

No, thank you. Here's the file. http://BillionUploads.com/yr2tpovv7hsj

My guess is the latter more than the former but I am going to put the pub in the center of my next base anyway.

Words

Semi-educated guesses

Yea, at this point a base should be falling into utter chaos anyway once the game is finished.Very smart with the AI there, I have never figured out a good way of programming that.... (I am majoring in CS)

I hope not. I'd like to build 1k population bases by this time next year.

But then again the closest I have been to game development is poking around in Scratch (library technician here [del]setting libraries on fire because I'm too low skill[/del] trying to teach kids age 8-15 in a few "make your own game"-workshops over the summer) so I'm not sure it's ever going to be possible. And to be honest I wasn't very good at it and neither was Scratch.

No, thank you. Here's the file. http://BillionUploads.com/yr2tpovv7hsj

My guess is the latter more than the former but I am going to put the pub in the center of my next base anyway.

Words

Semi-educated guesses

I hope not. I'd like to build 1k population bases by this time next year.

But then again the closest I have been to game development is poking around in Scratch (library technician here [del]setting libraries on fire because I'm too low skill[/del] trying to teach kids age 8-15 in a few "make your own game"-workshops over the summer) so I'm not sure it's ever going to be possible. And to be honest I wasn't very good at it and neither was Scratch.

1k? you realize how hard on the processor that would be, dwarf fortress is a game in ascii and it can barely take a population over 200 before you get a lag-fest.. Maybe once computers get better...

Of course it would be extremely entertaining to watch a base with 1000 or more people in it go insane (especially after spacemadness is added).

@hateren47

Something i realized recently is that plants seem to grow slower or even grow backwards as their health decreases meaning that it's a bad idea to have too many of them. Once the majority of your plants drop below 50%, food production essentially grinds to a halt.

@hateren47:

What are the specs for your computer? I have an i7 920, at 2.67GHz. It's a few years old, but I'm wondering how big of a base I can expect to build.

1k? you realize how hard on the processor that would be, dwarf fortress is a game in ascii and it can barely take a population over 200 before you get a lag-fest.. Maybe once computers get better...

Of course it would be extremely entertaining to watch a base with 1000 or more people in it go insane (especially after spacemadness is added).

DF is an obfuscated and unoptimized mess. 1k is easily handled with todays computing power, especially with threads and use of multiple cores. Now, i'm no CS but I am an electrical engineer and have designed my fair share of hardware. Personally, I'm too lazy to manage a 1k crew base. :P

It's not nearly as impressive as some of the ones in this thread, but here's my latest Spacebase. I'm experimenting with putting airlocks inside of rooms instead of on the edges of the base, and it seems to be working pretty well. It provides airlock access within a short distance of anywhere on the base, and I can expand my base in any direction without having to worry about airlocks being in the way.

2013-11-22_00003.jpg

2013-11-22_00003.jpg.882059b825fd4b89033

Not really no, I know barely anything about programming. I also don't know if bases that large are in the developers vision for the game (I have my hopes though). But I do think I can expect more from a Double Fine game than I can from a free Bay 12 game.

@hateren47

Something i realized recently is that plants seem to grow slower or even grow backwards as their health decreases meaning that it's a bad idea to have too many of them. Once the majority of your plants drop below 50%, food production essentially grinds to a halt.

Maybe, but I think the primary reason the plants were withering was the mood of the botanist. I had been running fine for a while before i got sloppy with derelict demolition. I'll have to keep an eye on the plants on my new base as I'm expanding the garden right now to keep up with demand. Thanks for the tip.

@hateren47:

What are the specs for your computer? I have an i7 920, at 2.67GHz. It's a few years old, but I'm wondering how big of a base I can expect to build.

High end gaming rig anno 2010, i5-2500K @4ghz / AMD HD6950 2GB. Not that flashy anymore but it runs everything somewhere between high and ultra. But a base that size doesn't run well on the current build of the game and I'm kinda breaking the game here. Next base I hope to get to 200 citizens though. Got a better layout for the life support zones.

It's not nearly as impressive as some of the ones in this thread, but here's my latest Spacebase. I'm experimenting with putting airlocks inside of rooms instead of on the edges of the base, and it seems to be working pretty well. It provides airlock access within a short distance of anywhere on the base, and I can expand my base in any direction without having to worry about airlocks being in the way.

Hey, you gotta start somewhere, right?

:)

That airlock idea is brilliant!

Hey that's super smart!

far shot

AE31B191A74E6811DA82CDDC31662792766222E3

closer shot:

B5075079831300D995A1B4C9411421CECAFAE7CC

my little outpost for the unsocial or further miners:

C9D4B26A247C79B9A901DFBA4FD7B3CC348B8421

This was housing 60 something and is up to houseing 73 (was 76 until a series of space mishaps.)

I'm no where on Hateren47's level but i'd like to say i'm taking that challenge seriously and am attempting more than 85 or 82 in a room, whatever the number really was :D

Hmm, screenshots on how my current base is going... hmmm.

Well the best I can manage is the picture I use for my thumbnails for my lets play as they are, in essence, a screenshot with a touch of text overlay.

SpaceBaseEP15_zps1840679b.jpg

Here I am construction rooms for my dwellers/squatters, while the hostile notice you can see is from a derelict I hadnt quite over come.

a0f2a3420628cb0e11946624109552a3.png

After my small, working but ugly base i tried to build something pretty. It's unbelievably hard. My previous base with improvement (

based on my walkthroughs) can contain over 90 people easily. Because there were 1 life support room, 1 garden room, 1 bar and all of it housed near. But now even 35! botanics can't serve 34 plants... 30+ techs can't serve station and not killing it. If all citizen try to drink in bar at the same time - air ends in it =))) And i pretty sure i have every bug, glitch and worst AI-solutions that exist in game =DD no complaints, I'm just SO lucky

I just started a new game to test some things out, the inside air-lock, which could be made better if we had air-lock doors on the floor. Also I had the bug where a raider door is built over something else (look at the second picture, the fire extinguisher in the bar), and a raider showed up from no where, after I cleared the ship and massacred my bar crowd. The refinery is outside, and my miners will share it. Having an outside refinery just makes so much more sense after playing for some long and seeing the air-lock lag delay processing, and they work out less while on shift. As always my builders just ignore building and walk around.

Also I had a problem earlier, when I had to quit while building the refinery and another O2 thingy. When I loaded my save the unbuilt items were not there anymore and I had almost no credits, so I had to scrap the seep and carefully not waste any matter.

Also the empty rooms in the south are for future single person bedrooms. I build each one by itself so I can have an extra door leading to space, so if a parasite pops out of a sleeper I can hopefully flush them out the door.

2013-11-23_00005.jpg

2013-11-23_00006.jpg

2013-11-23_00005.jpg.8dc806dfc3647aab140

2013-11-23_00006.jpg.703eeee3751b3396535

Ok, so the people breathing themselves into a vacuum thing has suddenly become a bit less funny. :(

If the force of the air is enough to knock back 15 people when the doors are forced open it should be enough for them to breathe.

What are you. . .

NONONONONONONO!!!

331DA7D47F56D9BB68D9B320D9B16F866342916A

Fudge.

My god.. looking at the pic you attached, its almost terrifying.

O_O

Welp, you are supposed to eventually die....

Tis the whole point of this game.. something happens. and you base dies horrifically.

How did that happen?

How long did it take after the disaster?

for your base to get all pear shaped?

?ACT=36&fid=58&aid=3181_l4AASTEQ1z2faBCIzjmV&board_id=1

About half the lifetime of an o2 recycler i suppose.

Question for the devs: is there a floor to how depressed spacefolk can get, or are my survivors basically at -1000 moral now and not worth trying to recover?

About half the lifetime of an o2 recycler i suppose.

Question for the devs: is there a floor to how depressed spacefolk can get, or are my survivors basically at -1000 moral now and not worth trying to recover?

I'm no dev, but i am pretty sure that at this point (if the game were finished) your survivors would be completely bonkers. (NO hope AT ALL)

i also am not a dev (of this game at least) but from what i have seen i do believe there are limits to sadness. I find certain personalities take longer to recover for various reasons from deeply sad. But I think deeply sad is a set of X sad points or whatever and gets no lower. I.E i have not had one deeply sad person that i could not get happy (even if painfully and painstakingly slowly). But gregarious chatty people seem to recover quickly as bartnders (given their skill doesn't really suck).

I have had a bartender go from deeply sad to exstatic very quickly even during a very traumatizing time when everyone else was deeply sad.

i also am not a dev (of this game at least) but from what i have seen i do believe there are limits to sadness. I find certain personalities take longer to recover for various reasons from deeply sad. But I think deeply sad is a set of X sad points or whatever and gets no lower. I.E i have not had one deeply sad person that i could not get happy (even if painfully and painstakingly slowly). But gregarious chatty people seem to recover quickly as bartnders (given their skill doesn't really suck).

I have had a bartender go from deeply sad to exstatic very quickly even during a very traumatizing time when everyone else was deeply sad.

(I program games as-well)

Me too I have seen people go from deeply sad to ecstatic., but his entire base of 180+ people is basically dead.I have never had something of this magnitude happen to me. I suppose only the devs can help. Unless you have had something of this magnitude happen? Have you.

I'm no dev, but i am pretty sure that at this point (if the game were finished) your survivors would be completely bonkers. (NO hope AT ALL)

Well, I wouldn't say NO hope. It would just mean that you'd need to slowly cycle out all of the older veterens and replace them with new immigrants.

Anyways to answer your original question: It looks like it took between Spacedate 9248.2 and Spacedate 9249.20 according to the screenshots. I haven't quite figured out yet what the spacedate means though.

After the initial 15 people died I did notice my bartenders make it back up to at least "sad" status before oxygen reached the tipping point. But the question is whether the same will be able to happen after almost 150 people have suddenly died.

------

Anyways, after a good night's sleep I did decide that I would try and stick with it (arrgh, I was so close to 200 people though!). So I've demolished almost everything I could except for some bare necessities. Unfortunately, there are still a lot of problems. I think the fact that deeply sad people walk so slowly is starting to mean that the base is just far too big for people to efficiently perform their duties or fulfill their needs, so the next step will probably be to try and seal off most sections of the base so that people don't waste time wandering around.

If I can figure out how I think I'll try to upload the save file of the base in it's current state just in case anyone is interested in a challenge while waiting for the next update. Do I need anything other than the one that says "SpacebaseDF9AutoSave.sav"?

Sign in to follow this