Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bluntie

Post your Spacebases!

i also am not a dev (of this game at least) but from what i have seen i do believe there are limits to sadness. I find certain personalities take longer to recover for various reasons from deeply sad. But I think deeply sad is a set of X sad points or whatever and gets no lower. I.E i have not had one deeply sad person that i could not get happy (even if painfully and painstakingly slowly). But gregarious chatty people seem to recover quickly as bartnders (given their skill doesn't really suck).

I have had a bartender go from deeply sad to exstatic very quickly even during a very traumatizing time when everyone else was deeply sad.

(I program games as-well)

Me too I have seen people go from deeply sad to ecstatic., but his entire base of 180+ people is basically dead.I have never had something of this magnitude happen to me. I suppose only the devs can help. Unless you have had something of this magnitude happen? Have you.

I had about 20-30 people die over the span of like 20mins play (normal speed). And every single person was deeply sad. Not sure if that counts, but it seemd the same as when just 10 poeple died in another instance/play through.

I'm no dev, but i am pretty sure that at this point (if the game were finished) your survivors would be completely bonkers. (NO hope AT ALL)

Well, I wouldn't say NO hope. It would just mean that you'd need to slowly cycle out all of the older veterens and replace them with new immigrants.

Anyways to answer your original question: It looks like it took between Spacedate 9248.2 and Spacedate 9249.20 according to the screenshots. I haven't quite figured out yet what the spacedate means though.

If I can figure out how I think I'll try to upload the save file of the base in it's current state just in case anyone is interested in a challenge while waiting for the next update. Do I need anything other than the one that says "SpacebaseDF9AutoSave.sav"?

Oh, i wasn't able to see the space-date in your second screenshot (or was it your first) either way interesting.

When i said 'No Hope' I meant for the survivors not new immigrants. (in future versions they will make people go insane commit suicide and shoot people when they get to a point)

I would be interested in messing with the save file. Seems like a really interesting project (rebuilding the infrastructure from the ground up without building new rooms).

@rrgg, geez dood, 180 to 30 that sucks dood, but amazing achievement none the less.

Here's my base till I also ran into disaster, It's based off of an old design i posted earlier in this tread. Grew to three sections, but then my doods wouldn't distribute evenly throughout. They usually only inhabited two sections at once which led to people starving and no work getting done. I think the choke points between sections really killed me, but I really liked how it looked. I wanted a suburban area, rural area, and metropolitan area. Really getting the hang of this I think. Maybe i'll be able to break 100 soon.

2013-11-21_00005.jpg

2013-11-23_00004.jpg

2013-11-24_00006.jpg

2013-11-21_00005.jpg.57809739e4c7e67f4ae

2013-11-23_00004.jpg.fc901e725d7f87e4c50

2013-11-24_00006.jpg.f5952fb40afbf3b5010

inside air-lock

Nice work! I'd been contemplating those but didn't wanna risk a pathing-related disaster with my current base. Good to know they're viable.

External refineries are many kinds of awesome. External oxygen recyclers don't work so well. You can be fooled into thinking it works if you build them next to oxygenated rooms, but they don't actually do anything other than make your techs' jobs more interesting.

I build each one by itself so I can have an extra door leading to space, so if a parasite pops out of a sleeper I can hopefully flush them out the door.

That's a neat idea too.. even without a parasite your citizens will know they live life on the edge, never knowing when that door might suddenly pop open :ahhh:

I just started a new game to test some things out, the inside air-lock, which could be made better if we had air-lock doors on the floor. Also I had the bug where a raider door is built over something else (look at the second picture, the fire extinguisher in the bar), and a raider showed up from no where, after I cleared the ship and massacred my bar crowd. The refinery is outside, and my miners will share it. Having an outside refinery just makes so much more sense after playing for some long and seeing the air-lock lag delay processing, and they work out less while on shift. As always my builders just ignore building and walk around.

Yeah, internal airlocks seem to work awesome right now A. they are protected from raiders and B. if you keep all your airlocks really close together it means that you don't have to worry about citizens pathing to the wrong one.

I tried the outside refinery thing once. It worked well for a while but then my miners asphyxiated and I gave up on the idea. :|

Hi guys, first post. :) Been writing lots and building and.. well. here are my bases. it would be way to long if i has them all in here.. but.. bear with me, its gonna be long anyway. :) (and ofc. spacebase is running in the background :))

Started playing last week and iv been totally totally stuck on it since, playing it with homeworld, ascendency, masters of orion and freelancer music. omnom.

wiVUBId.jpg

First base, nothing much to say really, i did not understand why ppl got sad.

PDSDJM1.jpg

Second base, still, the sadness got me.

Xu0IJe6.jpg

Third base, tried assimilating raiders ships, worked out that fusion reactor does not do anything, and proximity to o2 recyclers are everything.

b8ieU1t.jpg

Base four, started to work out a design i call in my head 'cigardesign', still, the sadness and starving, replacing things instead of tech's fixing them.

4KyvFr7.jpg

Base five ended like this, i had crew get spaced out of an airlock, and then two crew teleported during a savequit & reload and got killed by raiders, then everything started falling apart.

2Tgzm7q.jpg

R.I.P. Chris security dude.. you were with me for over 50 star dates, you never needed reassigning.. what a way to end.

wXACHTT.jpg

Here is your murderer/manslaughterer.. i wanna put that guy away, or expel him from my base.. but i´ll elaborate on that idea separately, i also see that others have been thinking about prison cells.

Started optimizing everything, fewer things for tech's to maintain, trying to work out how many gardeners, bartenders, bars, stools, stoves etc it takes to maintain the population.

Also started never accepting crew, only ppl that wont take no for an answer make it onto my base, just more mouths to feed.

also, building a long corridor for miners to spend less time in a suit worked.. badly.

also started ignoring raider ships and derelicts, all i do is build a wall over their airlock so my tech's cant get at it.

so onto my current base!

--------------

First off i set onto finding a good location based on resources available and distribution of rocks, i need them to be close at least at the start of game, so this one took me over two hours to find, has lots of rocks in close formation and over 600 000 resources in total on the map.

Further optimizing, crew dont seem to care if they get a room to themselves or sleep in a long hall, screens in every room, food replicators in every room, plants in every room. fire extinguishers in all rooms with stuff that can burn.

Working real slow and methodical working it up from humble beginnings.

Before i hit 30 crew, everyone gets some Mining duty.

I rename ppl base on what emotions they have and what work they have had in the past and currently have, makes it easy to see who is getting more sad or happy, and not to re-assign them to something they hated doing.

Z12DXcq.jpg

2 ppl have died, both killed by raiders, one when being boarded and once when a tech floated over to fix their stuff before i could build a wall.

also, tried building walls around my base to stop pirates from crashing into or docking to my superstructure, did not work, separate long big rooms around the base did not work either, but a mote/double hull works perfectly, raiders just walk around untill they get tired and starve to death, yay victory for me!

3oUXHBt.jpg

THIS is how it currently stands. Never had a fire, Never had to replace a object. anyone at a table gets food within seconds and now im gonna try to double its size, and if that works i´ll add section three, and four, and if that works, i´ll be at 160 ppl..

i dont think my section needs to be that long, 29x33 would be fine.. but thats for base number 7 to try.

so far 5 raiders have died in my mote, they dock, wander, starve, die.

now for reporting some bugs.

MLA1zew.jpg

happy to report my moat idea works well.

crew randomly teleporting is a real issue tho, killed 3 crew so far. ;(

Well, this attempt is going strong. My outer ring is 50% complete, inner ring is 25% (about 35%, I think, if you include the pub), and my crew is a mix of ecstatic and deeply sad... Most of the ones that are sad are the builders and miners, but fortunately my techs are happy (for once). One of the reasons for this is that my miners haven't been committing suicide any more due to walking right by food when they are starving - I have been only mining small chunks then getting them to rest for a couple of minutes to eat, and it has been working well. My machines are hovering around 60%, I had a bit of a scare when I didn't have enough techs on and they fell to around 20%, but I have since recovered. All in all, I might actually finish this thing - for once.

awwb.png

EDIT: *Sigh* I am now 100% convinced that miners are suicidal... I have since lost 6 because they decided they wanted to chat to people while starving... As such, I have not one happy technician left -_-

it can't do the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs or anything but, it still looks pretty cool.. (imo)

DF-9 BaseFour2.png

DF-9 BaseFour3.png

DF-9 BaseFour4.png

578d004ee9b82_DF-9BaseFour2.png.67d45857

578d004f04234_DF-9BaseFour3.png.5ef13e25

578d004f111d2_DF-9BaseFour4.png.d19c525b

it can't do the Kessel Run in less than twelve parsecs or anything but, it still looks pretty cool.. (imo)

"What a piece of junk!"

Very nice :wow:

"What a piece of junk!"

Very nice :wow:

"She'll make point-five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself." ;)

I build Falcon too! Wait. it's more like eagle but any way... 100+ da club!

25744b9a3c6e9000d9c00b05bb055085.png

Most of the ones that are sad are the builders and miners, but fortunately my techs are happy (for once). One of the reasons for this is that my miners haven't been committing suicide any more due to walking right by food when they are starving - I have been only mining small chunks then getting them to rest for a couple of minutes to eat, and it has been working well.

EDIT: *Sigh* I am now 100% convinced that miners are suicidal... I have since lost 6 because they decided they wanted to chat to people while starving... As such, I have not one happy technician left -_-

nobody likes mining duty for very long, some like it for a wile, even to the point of ecstatic, but they all head towards sadness sooner or later, reassign them as soon as they head towards sadness.

VxtGVHR.jpg

Cigar design is working well, i am now stacking the sections, about to expand into my third section.

Oh... Finally! I finished my station. it remains only to decorate

wooooooooooooooooooow.

are you using inf matter bug?

Oh... Finally! I finished my station. it remains only to decorate

wooooooooooooooooooow.

are you using inf matter bug?

had to start...

When i saw that just to place beds on half of station i need 15 000 matter, i thought "i'll pass here" =D

had to start...

When i saw that just to place beds on half of station i need 15 000 matter, i thought "i'll pass here" =D

still very very impressive managing all that crew.- :)

im curious on what kind of a machine you have, or what kind of lag you have, and how do you deal with techs sneaking out to die ;)

had to start...

still very very impressive managing all that crew.- :)

im curious on what kind of a machine you have, or what kind of lag you have, and how do you deal with techs sneaking out to die ;)

I7, 8 gb ram - lags only when i pause game for long time, and play game after it.

85% crew - ecstatic (all techs). condition of machines - +80%

Helps that everything place in 2 spots and near pub. + hasn't lose any crew member

But i have so much trouble with oxygen levels. Even with 400+ capability of life supporters

im finally gonna go to bed before 1am today. here is how my base stands..

EL28bwk.jpg

i loose the odd tech here and there that stands in the airlock wile it cycles, i think i lost about five or six dudes in total building this, and one of them was a raider that got added to my crew... no teleporting issues, and the only bug i have used is airlock spawn back closed bug, other then that its pure mining and managing.

Got some old version screenshots and some new. I like to make nice shapes for my space-bases and then see if they are live-able, I design them in Photoshop and even PrisonArchitect and keep that next to it when building :)

VFjGL4y.jpg

The 1st one that succeeded!

7phq4t9.jpg

RXuQ9nc.jpg

This one is the first on the new version, hope you like!

Kong :)

I realize I'm a little late to the base party, but I just had to share my creaky, indestructible behemoth. It grew and grew, until the population passed 150 inhabitants, and the combined issues of slowdown, population mood management, and regular crashes persuaded me to shelve this particular save. I'm still quite proud of it, though. I swear I didn't intend to write a Bolshevik allegory, this is a literal account of how my colonists nearly starved my Spacebase.

Pull up a Space Rug, young Sproutling, and let me tell you a tale of the old days:

Early Days and the Golden Age

Big Bertha grew at a steady pace; the population was, historically, not ecstatic, but at least content. Jobs were divided in roughly equal numbers, with the exception of miners - once the surrounding space had been harvested barren, their numbers were divided amongst all the other jobs. The secret overlords of Big Bertha were the Technicians - their every whim was indulged, and they were waited on hand and foot, for they passed the secret traditions of Oxygen Recycler maintenance from Grandmaster to Novice, in an unbroken line stretching all the way back to the arrival of the First Three and the hallowed Seed. Their happiness was the ultimate end of all the toils of the Big Bertha colonists.

Big Bertha's golden age was an age of plenty. The massive air corridor was an unbroken field of shiny, well-maintained Oxygen Recyclers, their constant hum a reminder that all was well. The Gardens were bountiful and well-maintained, the pubs bursting with patrons, the Bartenders bustling with steaming plates of Veloxi Glazed Honeybat. It was not to last.

Hints of Discontent

Big Bertha expanded like a slow, disorganized amoeba, despite upper management's best attempts to maintain aesthetic order, but all seemed well, on the surface. Looking back now, historians now agree the dissolution of the Miner class held the seeds of the impending Garden Collapse Crisis that would rock Big Bertha's social order. What wisdom did these strange hermits gather from the silence of deep space, on their lonely voyages to distant asteroids? Their ghosts whisper out of history: "Neglect Ye Notte the Underclasses. A mountain is but matter for the Refinery." In the mouths of the Botanists, it became a rallying cry: "Every tree is felled at the roots."

The Technicians had lorded over the station too long; the mountain was crumbling, and the roots were rotten. Grumbling was heard. Cooked meals at the several Pubs were increasingly hard to come by. The army of Bartenders could only throw up their hands; the harvest had been poor, they would say, and there was no more Metacorn to be had anywhere. The increasingly sickly crops that made it to harvest were consumed immediately, and demand outstripped supply in short order. The population had increasingly to fall back on Food Replicators. The problem was twofold: Replicators ate into Big Bertha's Matter stores, a finite supply since the last of the asteroids had been thrown into the ancient Refineries, and the colonists hated Replicator "Food", after dining on the fruits of the Hydroponic Culture since what seemed like forever.

Open Revolt

By the time upper management took action, it was nearly too late - the Gardens were in shocking disarray: every crop was dead or failing. There was no harvest to be had at all. The legion of Botanists, no less numerous than the Technicians, were in full revolt - a shocking number were Deeply Sad or Very Sad, and the crops reflected their discontent. The machinery of the Spacebase was a fine-looking facade, but it hid the rot of the Gardens. Drastic action was called for. This was the Garden Collapse Crisis - not a literal failure of the Gardens, but rather, the collapse of society.

First: massive social upheaval. There were no more Technicians, no more Botanists, no Security or Bartenders or Builders. And of course, the existence of Miners had long passed into legend. Every citizen was Unassigned. No more privileged classes, no more secret knowledge. Next came the forced labour reassignments. A new Botanist Corps was selected from the happiest and most competent - no easy task, for the most experienced 5-star Botanists were also the most discontent. The newer, draconian regime plucked citizens for work in the fields until they numbered 20% of the population, and no more happy gardeners could be found. Still the crops failed, and the people of Big Bertha starved. More Botanists, now the veterans. They were unhappy, but their experience was invaluable. Crops were still sickly and inedible. More and more colonists were absorbed into the Botanists, and slowly, the once-lush Gardens began to recover. In the end, a staggering 60% of the population was needed to keep the Hydroponics Cultures healthy enough to bear fruit. Mass starvation had been averted, but a cost; the golden age had ended in revolution.

Remember these words, young Sproutling: Every Ecstatic Technician is the Seed of his own Collapse.

If you've made it this far, thank you for reading. This is not the post I had envisioned, but the story of Big Bertha wrote itself. I began this intending to post a couple of captioned screenshots. I have attached shots of my base, but for the life of me, I can't figure out how to embed them in the body of the post. I've also archived the relevant save file, because I believe it may be of technical interest to the Devs, and possibly other players, available on request. Or possibly I can link it here, but again, I'm not sure the best way to make my save file available. I love this game so far, I want to see it grow and improve.

Overview.png

popdistribution.png

Stats.png

Overview.png.83cd2a49eaee5df416d7815bcc8

popdistribution.png.7c29873e2090a9a77713

Stats.png.d21b5bbac2d1b71e8a436f5633e4e5

I apologize for the preceding wall of text. After shelving that save, I read this entire thread, I started a new base. So many excellent ideas in this thread. In particular, Cactus_Punch's Asteroid Construction and shikushiku's Inside Airlock revolutionized my game. I can't thank you two enough. Bolded names go to the relevant posts.

Here's a screenie of my base. I notice that I appear to be building in the exact same asteroid as Cactus_Punch's base. In fact, I've noticed that exact asteroid several times (I think of it as the Millenium Falcon). Interesting.

This is the first base I think I might actually like to live on. I think it's because not everything is blocky and rectangular.

asteroidbase.png

MilFalcon.png

asteroidbase.png.c4c3538b0ca04dcf74c2f12

MilFalcon.png.dfadc6cc21b25944b0fec5adf7

Sign in to follow this