Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Bluntie

Post your Spacebases!

So ends my experiment with Alpha 2a, game keeps crashing when trying to save, so i cannot play on any longer

my design, still though a bit experimental became stacked modules, and it seems i did not reach the limits of it

Security takes care of parasites in seconds, only one crew killed every time

fridges are filling up with food

100+ ppl are ecstatic and all but the most new newcomers are five star at their work.

kind of sad to have to abandon it.. but i have too.. :(

mjSBvY3.jpg

117 crew.

6L2QYs2.jpg

a good balance for my base.

RIP.

if someone could download my save, and see if its my box's memory limitations that makes it crash, or if my savefile is just broken in some way..

then here it is

if someone could download my save, and see if its my box's memory limitations that makes it crash, or if my savefile is just broken in some way..

then here it is

Crashes for me, too, and I have 16 GB of RAM.

then here it is

Crashes for me, too, and I have 16 GB of RAM.

THANK YOU!

could you pls post ur dxdiag info file in this thread http://www.doublefine.com/forums/viewthread/11246/ to help dev's work out whats gone wrong here. ;)

Sweet, Something I made got featured by the devs!

I like how they picked the screenshot from right after I lost 80% of my guys. ; )

@Onty, How many guys did you manage to cram onto that massive discus anyways?

Sweet, Something I made got featured by the devs!

I like how they picked the screenshot from right after I lost 80% of my guys. ; )

they did the same to me.

@Onty, How many guys did you manage to cram onto that massive discus anyways?

I don't know =) Game crash every 4 minutes after population reach 170 citizen.

How do you guys do this stuff? I have such a hard time trying to take care of even small space bases.

time and effort. ;)

HEY! Just noticed, and might be a little late on this but... This thread got featured on the Spacebase DF-9 blog!

Really cool to see how psyched the devs are about how psyched we are about this game!

One thing i noticed... everyone has their walls down.

HEY! Just noticed, and might be a little late on this but... This thread got featured on the Spacebase DF-9 blog!

Really cool to see how psyched the devs are about how psyched we are about this game!

ya, i play 99% of the game with the walls down. I don't know about anyone else, but i find with walls up it is very hard to see what the heck is going on or where the heck you are building. In all honesty the fact i can't rotate the camera is a huge issue. I frequently can't see where the heck i'm placing something. Or somene will drop an asteroid, carton of food, or cooked food in a place i cannot click to delete (from that angle of view).

I think the fact that all the screenshots have walls down is good evidence of the prevelance of this issue. I freqently find myself saying "Boy i really wish i could rotate the dang camera"

ya, i play 99% of the game with the walls down. I don't know about anyone else, but i find with walls up it is very hard to see what the heck is going on or where the heck you are building. In all honesty the fact i can't rotate the camera is a huge issue. I frequently can't see where the heck i'm placing something. Or somene will drop an asteroid, carton of food, or cooked food in a place i cannot click to delete (from that angle of view).

I think the fact that all the screenshots have walls down is good evidence of the prevelance of this issue. I freqently find myself saying "Boy i really wish i could rotate the dang camera"

+1

I'm hoping that v1.0 is so tremendously popular that DoubleFine have the liberty and impetus to implement a full 3d engine for v2.0 (as opposed to tiled isometric projection). Maybe they could license something like the Voxel Farm engine. Obviously the work involved in generating 3d art is dramatically greater than for 2.5d, but there'd be so much to gain from switching to 3d.

In the mean time it would be nice to have the ability to hide certain objects so I can see or click on stuff that's behind them. It's a little frustrating trying to click on the floor of an airlock to change its room type and being unable to because it's full of asteroid chunks, miners, doors and space suit lockers. (I tend to make my airlocks 2x2 to minimize time spent in them and therefore minimize the likelihood of an accident).

Alpha 3 base so far:

WxqNhst.jpg

i let it grew too fast at first, and four ppl suffocated... and then one burned to death by trying to stomp out fire.

but so far Cigardesign seems to work well.

First playthrough since the Alpha2. Wanted to commemorate the addition of the bench press (and the agreeable lack of lower body equipment) with a base that spelled out... BRO.

Turned out horribly. Forgot about oxygen/pressure mechanics and made a hilarious mistake.

Finished the workout room (the stick of the R) locked it down and let it fill with 65% air. Then I opened it and EVERYONE decided to celebrate this ribbon cutting by doing reps. O2 ran out in literally ten seconds, and at the same time the new meteor mechanic decided to kick in.

I guess that's what I get for milking a tired meme...

2013-12-19_00002.jpg

2013-12-19_00003.jpg

2013-12-19_00004.jpg

2013-12-19_00002.jpg.5cc4ff3a541822ae747

2013-12-19_00003.jpg.7dd34f7d1b1c38efb83

2013-12-19_00004.jpg.c5e67746a014b029cbc

So... spent an entire day trying to salvage my 117 crew base..

first i removed all the derelicts around the base, did not work, saving still crashed the game..

So, i tried this for the last five hours:

I knew i had to demolish all my hydroponic squares and rebuild them, since botanists wont harvest it, and i have plenty of food stockpiled in my fridges so i re-assigned all the botanists to build duty.

Demolished all the hydroponics, then sent them out into space to demolish all the derelicts and my expansion i tried to manage.

06ilZOy.jpg

43 should be enough right.

two died in the airlock asphyxiated..

one died when derelict warped in trapping her inside a wall.

two security dudes died when i found a killbot.

Still, i managed to get rid of all the derelicts and raider ship hulls, and i started to build a tunnel to guide the killbot into my moat.

JSQLhJ3.jpg

AND WIN!

fM7SIbX.jpg

vRapuM8.jpg

I HAVE A PET KILLBOT.

A bit left to demolish, then i will try saving this game... i pray to the almighty gaming god that it will work.

but for now, i need to make dinner.

edit:

no go. no save. ;(

?ACT=36&fid=57&aid=3281_O0aDCk2SQz6ssOqo5WYd&board_id=1

Heres a partial screenshot of my current base during a meteor.

Notice the hallways linking the rooms, this is for evacuation purposes, it works wonders for controlling your crew during emergencies.

Even in large bases, I've tested this method with 40+ crew.

@KillerB, Pretty epic dood! Looks like a ton of work just to get your food stocks back up in working. Pet killbot expeditions sounds fun.

@Untrustedlife, Purdy sweet. Red hallways are always cool, esp. since they're used for panic management.

Here's what I just finished up. I stopped playing because the slow down was way too much for it to be fun, not to mention various glitches had me restarting the game to reset my crew. Still really liking the progress the game had since Alpha 2 though. Doods aren't as sad as they used to be, though later on most of my doods got moody. All but the Bartenders and Botanists got really emotional after i hit 90 pop. Really wanted to break 100 but just couldn't play through the molasses (my comp is pretty old). I was fortunate enough to have only one dood die until I quit.

The base design is the same old one I've been doing for my serious playthroughs. I tried to make a section for each major room type and theme them as well as I could with the tools available. The residential district was nice and tidy, the farmland kinda the same, and the "nightlife" district was to look seedy and dark. I was going to build a fourth section that was to be "Globe Oh Gym" south of the nightlife/west of the residential district.

The design itself isn't that practical. Having districts sends most of the population into one of them at a time (usually the bars). Also the wide hallways adds length between areas making for a less efficient crew. I'm probably going to try this design with each update, but till then ima just make small/stupid projects.

2013-12-21_00001.jpg

2013-12-22_00004.jpg

2013-12-22_00006.jpg

2013-12-21_00001.jpg.e197ded223e6274836a

2013-12-22_00004.jpg.5ca20282c7651c51dc8

2013-12-22_00006.jpg.02d0ce93152e276e6f9

I'm having a lot of fun with the new update \o/

Want to present my new design: The Space Rose Station.

I have 109 inhabitants atm and it's doing remarkably well! I have nothing to mine anymore so disbanding derelicts are my main source of matter.

ghvRMMu.jpg

I actually designed it using Prison Architect Planning Tool :P

hello rangers!

i ain't able to play further because of game crushes, unfurtunately - every 5-10 min's or something.

so, the base of mine is this like

Bezimeni.1388232228.jpg

someone in the thread challenged players and i accepted :coolsmile:

more than 100 habitants in a single room

104.1388230929.jpg

11 in one airdock

11.1388230841.jpg

there are some 5 derelicts on the map - about 20-30k of matter more, and more coming =)

seems like i could make progress much more of this all, but sadness.

devs! thanks for cool game, please do something with stability! i discovered if an autosave is switched off, game runs, but there's a huge chance (99% i suppose) it won't be saved when you save exiting.

one more trouble i met - after about 70 people - ihad to play on standard speed, because on bigger speed air pressure in all rooms falls dramatically for unknown reason. and that's reeeeeaaaallllllyyyyyy slow growing, you know

the region i deployed

Bezimeni1.1388232602.jpg

p.s.

killbot looking for pray? for freedom maybe ;-)

killbot.1388231215.jpg

thanks to thread writers for ideas and good luck

yVKlq5z.jpg

all ready for 100+ crew, and when all the space is populated i calculate i could support about 140 crew np.

+1

I'm hoping that v1.0 is so tremendously popular that DoubleFine have the liberty and impetus to implement a full 3d engine for v2.0 (as opposed to tiled isometric projection). Maybe they could license something like the Voxel Farm engine. Obviously the work involved in generating 3d art is dramatically greater than for 2.5d, but there'd be so much to gain from switching to 3d.

In the mean time it would be nice to have the ability to hide certain objects so I can see or click on stuff that's behind them. It's a little frustrating trying to click on the floor of an airlock to change its room type and being unable to because it's full of asteroid chunks, miners, doors and space suit lockers. (I tend to make my airlocks 2x2 to minimize time spent in them and therefore minimize the likelihood of an accident).

You do know they already have an 3D engine the one from brutal legend. They probably went 2d because it's cheaper to create.

whaaaat? are you one of dev's or just talking here? sorry for plain dealing, but players are testing your alpha for free here you know

whaaaat? are you one of dev's or just talking here? sorry for plain dealing, but players are testing your alpha for free here you know

I'm not a dev, I'm just a "forumite" who likes to reply to posts in this thread to keep it bumped up .Devs are denoted on these forums with "Double Fine" in blue above their avatar.

Sign in to follow this