Sign in to follow this  
bobsayshilol

Modding

Hi people of the forums!

Some of you may remember me from the Spacebase DF-9 prototype forums as "that guy that did that multiplayer thing" - well I'm back with another attempt (on this new version obviously). My current goal is to have a working co-operative gamemode (not versus or anything fancy) and I will post back with updates whenever there are any.

Works fine in Alpha 3!

Things that worked last time I checked:

Change door states

Change room types

Change jobs of crew

Change the time speed

Downloads the savegame on connect

Simultaneous construction editing

Builders build everything

Mining

Beacons

New crew joining

Crew movement

Sunk some character stats

Things I still need to do/fix:

Proper crew movement interpolation

Fix the erase tool

Almost everything EventController related (ie Pirate ships, falling debris)

Renaming of things

Oxygen + pressure

Sync some more character stats

Anything else that I can't remember while writing this

Here is a video of it in action (prepare to be very disappointed):

0cSpc8eCjUQ

As I'm sure some of you will be asking when the expected date of completion will be, all I can say to that is: never - making a multiplayer mod for a singleplayer game is not as simple as adding "mulitplayer.exe" to the current game, and that takes time. I'll post versions of the mod though as and when I think there is enough content for it to be actually playable (I think you'll all agree that the current version isn't there yet).

I tried modifying unluac and luadec but couldn't get either to work, but if someone else has better luck please say so!

Edit:

Since a few people were asking for the modding tools I set up a git to get them from here with instructions on how to use them. Also if you have any tips add them to the wiki, or if there are any bytecode commands that I never added then just post it as an issue on the git.

Wow great work.

I'd love to take a look at your luajit tools if you wouldn't mind, even if it's just through PM, I was able to get luadec working with the prototype but no luck with this version because of the change over.

There's some additional challenges for creating mods for this version as well, it'll likely be updated more frequently making it harder to keep your changes in sync and more worryingly, you run the risk of generating some bogus crash reports (though I suppose that's rather optimistic given that would require widely released working mods to begin with).

Wow great work.

I'd love to take a look at your luajit tools if you wouldn't mind, even if it's just through PM, I was able to get luadec working with the prototype but no luck with this version because of the change over.

There's some additional challenges for creating mods for this version as well, it'll likely be updated more frequently making it harder to keep your changes in sync and more worryingly, you run the risk of generating some bogus crash reports (though I suppose that's rather optimistic given that would require widely released working mods to begin with).

Yer I googled LuaJIT decompilers and only 3 results from years ago came up for how to do it for Legend of Grimrock, but since then it has included modding tools which took away the need to decompile LuaJIT.

Oh I'm sure it'll be a pain to keep updating it, but things like Bukkit seem to be ok (although they do have more people...).

And you can disable bug reports in the config options so that's not really a problem.

Oh and the git is up if you need a tutorial on how to use the tools btw.