Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Vectorferret

Traders and Tourists

For another thing to do (besides build up the base), especially for when things are going great, how about traders and tourists. Traders could give you more matter in exchange for say, having your technicians fix their life support or something (or perhaps we can have a second set of currency, that's used to buy/sell from traders). With the second currency, we could also get it from tourists/pilgrims or others who simply want a place to stay for a bit before moving on. We could then buy matter or other things from traders with it. Neither would join your roster, but would want to go to pubs etc.. (giving you more money?) but could also carry sickness, or cause fights if unhappy for example, but bring in a lot of resources or pay docking fees. We don't need to add their ship to the map the way derelicts are added, they;d just come over with small shuttles the way new guys do. Maybe even sometimes they ask to immigrate if they make good friends when they arrive and we can decide.

When I saw the AF pitch, it seemed like eventually the base would be complete enough that it becomes more of a finished base with people doing their jobs in it; like a neighbourhood in The Sims and less SimCity, so having the late game work that way (rather than running out of map room / matter as the only real end). Ideally even be a mid game where it's still mostly base expansion with some management of the economy, and moving more and more away from infrastructure.

And just throwing out ideas, a shuttlebay zone, that allows visitors to come aboard more easily (and possibly help you with things like mining shuttles). A shuttlebay could be optionally locked with a sturdy door while security checks them in.

Ooh! I like the idea of a Docking Bay or Beacon which unlocks visits from friendly (for now) NPCs to temporarily dock and come in and interact with the crew.

Hopefully their ship won't graft onto the space station and become absorbed into the whole. Might get us a bad Yelp review.

Yeah, the idea of a fixed entry point for all "official" visitors seems like a very good one. It'd be a good way to regulate what goes in and out, and deal with any security matters quickly.

Tourism also seems like a good idea, it was one of the primary focuses of your station in Startopia. The concept of building your station to attract visitors shaped the direction of your play fairly well. With the rooms in the pre-alpha so far, I'm not sure if they want to take DF9 in the direction of tourism and attracting more temporary visitors, or building more a sort-of colony, with permanent residents being the main focus. I also wonder if a money system will actually be introduced, or if your visitors would just pay with generic construction resources.

Or what if only trades would come like events. "Spacejackey stacey from Tradepost 1045 is here and wanna make trade with ya? she says: Yo there partner wanna buy some spacenoodle? or maybe a new refinery for just 5percentage of your soul?", or selling lifesupport stuffs - which can be instantly placed no build time - , buyin security guys - merceneries - buying matter ect? And currency would be an easy thing to get. As you mine asteroids every block yields 5-10 darklightsabercrystalspacemechanocoppercoin or something like that or you could just sell your matter for darklightsabercrystalspacemechanocoppercoin

my english is bad and i should feel bad.

I'm not sure if they want to take DF9 in the direction of tourism and attracting more temporary visitors, or building more a sort-of colony, with permanent residents being the main focus. I also wonder if a money system will actually be introduced, or if your visitors would just pay with generic construction resources.
I agree that the focus needs to stay on the citizens. But a culture needs to survive and thrive, right now we are only at the survive stage in terms of gameplay, so I was throwing out ideas for the thrive stage when they move the economy beyond sustenance. Also for more to do when the disasters aren't happening.

Edit - Other short term visitors could include people on their way to some other space colony who need a 'truck stop' (buying fuel, provisions, some bar space but not really caring about touristy things).

I Think its a great Idea. I mean look at what the Devs. where using as Inspiration (a "certain Sci-Fi- Space Station TV-Series", also i am pretty sure i saw a guy named "Sisko" once ^^).

In the later game stages where your station is thriving, "survival" itself no longer becomes a real issue. Introducing currency, travelers and whatnot certainly helps to create a feeling for your station and helps with keeping the game interesting and fun to play.

Also think of the "social stories" practically writing themselves in a sims-like fashion i.e. :

Traveler-A meets Crew Member-B they fall in Love and Traveler-A moves into the Station. Later they have a Child which then chooses to go on an adventure and joins a passing trader where he/she also meets his/her partner and they come home together...etc etc.

This would involve the player much more deeply with the crew, which is (if i am not horribly mistaken) what the Devs. wanted in the first place.

Sign in to follow this