Sign in to follow this  
dangeROSS

What are you playing?

"consequence permanence" means something different depending on which game you are talking about. If you get caught cheating on your space girlfriend in Mass Effect, that is a different kind of "consequence permanence" than if you miscalculate a good time to use that potion in a roguelike.

Or maybe I don't understand what it is you're saying. That's possible, too.

I'm talking about games that kill you dead without reversal and without saves.

Edited by MusicallyInspired

I'm replaying the Blackwell series (up to Deception right now) as I never got round to playing Epiphany when I first got it and thought I might as well replay the others before going on to the last game.

39 minutes ago, CorruptBiggins said:

I'm replaying the Blackwell series (up to Deception right now) as I never got round to playing Epiphany when I first got it and thought I might as well replay the others before going on to the last game.

A great series and epiphany is a fantastic finale. If you like the games, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

On 20/09/2016 at 10:58 PM, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

A great series and epiphany is a fantastic finale. If you like the games, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

I put 4 hours into Epiphany tonight and I would still be going if I didn't have to be up in the morning, it is so good. It will be shame when it's over.

4 hours ago, CorruptBiggins said:

I put 4 hours into Epiphany tonight and I would still be going if I didn't have to be up in the morning, it is so good. It will be shame when it's over.

NICE. Glad you're having fun. I wish I could enjoy them all over again.

I've just finished it. Not what I was expecting but it works brilliantly, so effective. A great way to end a superb series. And I'm glad I played them all back to back, it kept the full story fresh in my head throughout which helped with the final payoffs. Simply wonderful game.

1 hour ago, CorruptBiggins said:

I've just finished it. Not what I was expecting but it works brilliantly, so effective. A great way to end a superb series. And I'm glad I played them all back to back, it kept the full story fresh in my head throughout which helped with the final payoffs. Simply wonderful game.

It also helps you notice all of the little easter eggs in later episodes, such as

the detective is the grown man version of the young boy going off to college from episode 2, etc

. There are lots of little things like that and a person might not catch all of them without playing them all back to back. =]

Edited by AnAnemoneInAnonymity

Played Mandagon today. I just noticed it was installed on my computer but I had no memory of it. Turns out it's a recently released free game on steam and since I had it on my machine I decided to play it. It's a short 2d platformer that tries to tell a short story through text boxes you activate in the environment while you hunt for some "hidden" tablets to stick into some tablet shaped holes. It's nothing special but it is pretty and relaxing and takes under an hour to finish.

The other game I've been playing today is FEZ. I saw on twitter that it had recently received an update and I made me wanna play it again. Not because of something in the update but just because I really like the game. It's probably my 4th or 5th playthrough of it, although it's my first playthrough of the steam version.

Edited by Double H

INFRA posted a surprisingly huge update yesterday. In addition to various patches and minor bug fixes, they also optimized the game to shorten load times. Previously this game had load times as long as Obduction's, taking as long as two minutes (especially when first starting the game), but they've cut load times in half for people with HDDs, and even more for people with SSDs. Nice!

But the coolest news is that they updated the game with "INFRA part 2". Like, instead of just releasing a whole other game called "INFRA 2", they just patched it into the first game. If you bought INFRA, you get INFRA part 2 as a free update. For anyone buying the game now, they have raised the price. (One could certainly argue the pros and cons of this approach, but it is an interesting thing for them to do either way.)

The INFRA 2 update adds 13 new levels, but "levels" refer to entire puzzle areas, so think of like an entire age from the Myst games. I've played the game for 7-8 hours and have only finished the first 3 chapters. So adding 13 new levels sounds like a pretty substantial update.

I remembered that I only made it about halfway through Arcanum, so I decided to go back to it. Within thirty minutes I totally ruined the sword I'd been trying to keep at max durability, spent about a month of game time wandering around from city to city, trying to remember what I was doing, and stabbed myself in the face by accident. Spent one of my three fate points to pickpocket an amulet I found in a random drop shortly afterwards, tried to learn how to lockpick, gave up, tried to learn the lockpicking spell, gave up, and decided that I'll be disintegrating locked doors from now on. 

I love this game. And also hate it a little. But it's great how any little adventure could turn into a massive quest of epic proportions.

Edited by Alcoremortis

Started playing Infinifactory again last night (when I should have been going to bed). It’s been a long time since I touched it. I really enjoyed it before but never got around to finishing it because something shiny probably sparkled in my peripheral vision and I had to go see what that was about and then didn’t remember to come back because I was not blessed with an overabundance of attention span.

But now I’m back! I deleted all of my existing save data, because it had been so long I really wanted to start from scratch, and I’m glad that I did, because I find that having not played Infinifactory for however many months has somehow made me even better at Infinifactory…??? I don’t just mean about solving the puzzles, but I mean in terms of solving the puzzles for better footprint/cycle/block scores.

I previously ranted about how I really hated that part of Infinifactory, suggesting that puzzle games don’t need leaderboards and that the “input rate” adds a frustrating and unnecessary fiddly-ness to what could be a straightforward puzzle game, with seemingly no other justification than to have a leaderboard about it. It adds a feeling of “well I haven’t TRULY solved it unless I solve it for maximum input rate, so why not just set them all to max input rate and make THAT the puzzle?!?!!?”

And yet, there is a hairline crack in my hard grumpy shell as I return to the game. I wouldn’t say that I am yet ENTHUSIASTIC about the input rate function, but I am developing a certain appreciation/respect for it that did not exist before, and I think the fact that I am coming BACK to it is what makes the difference.

Here is why I think it matters: when you are first given a puzzle in a game, all you want to do is focus on solving the puzzle. The "quality" of the solution isn't something you care about or even WANT to care about. For example, when you first enter a new puzzle chamber in Portal, you are just excited to have a new problem to think about and to brainstorm all the different possible solutions and to execute on one of those solutions. You want to experiment without feeling graded. No limitations, nothing holding you back. Just your own creative and clever mind having a party! That's the fun part! It is not quite as fun, when you first enter that chamber, to immediately start thinking about advanced challenges like "how can I solve this chamber using the fewest portals" or "how can I solve this chamber taking the fewest number of steps"? That creates an environment where some solutions are not as good as others, which is a bit of buzzkill on your first playthrough.

That's why I think the key difference here is that Portal realizes those challenges are fun TO COME BACK TO. And I think Portal is absolutely right. Infinicatory, on the other hand, gives you those challenges up front, the first time you step into the chamber, which perhaps doesn't SEEM like it should matter, but it absolutely does.

In other words, I think functionally there is no major difference. But psychologically the difference is huge.

Started a new game in Fallout 4. I decided to give it another go after being extremely turned off by the ending the first play through. There's a lot to like about this game as long as you steer clear of the main story line and don't expect much in the way of speech options. I'm also excited to check out NukaWorld.

Nuka World was kind of disappointing, in my opinion. I enjoyed Far Harbor more, though I still felt like that was pretty "meh" compared to some of New Vegas's DLC, though I'm a bit of a New Vegas fangirl so my opinion is probably a bit biased.

I'll try to stay away from spoilers, but if you're the sort that tries to go for the "good guy" endings, the only way to get it in Nuka World basically stops you from accessing most of the quest content if it's done early on. If you want that good ending but you still want to experience most of the content, do pretty much everything you can until the quests start to try to get you to do stuff in the Commonwealth itself, because once you go past that point, you've landed in asshole territory.

Spoiler for how to get the good ending in Nuka World:

Spoiler

Since Nuka World is inhabited almost entirely by raiders, the good ending is achieved by doing the quest in the marketplace that involves killing all of the leaders of the various raider groups (and inevitably their underlings since they'll immediately become hostile to you as well). Stock up on ammo, because you're gonna have to kill a lot of raiders. Most of the quest content in the expansion is from the raiders, so with them gone, there's not much else to do aside from some hidden sidequests and exploration

I never really cared much about the story in the new Fallout games. (Notably: Also true of Elder Scrolls.) It's much more about exploration to me. I mean, I care about the tiny little self-contained stories in individual towns or for individual character you meet while you're out there poking around, but I don't really care about there being a "main story" or whatever.

Honestly, if they made a Fallout 5 and were just like, "You wake up in the wasteland. Welp, good luck!" I would be 100% okay with that and it would be 100% consistent with the way I play and think about the world of Fallout. xD

i.e. as far as I'm concerned, the "story" of any given Bethesda Fallout isn't whatever baby-chasing, dad-chasing, benny-chasing story Bethesda has cooked up. The story of Fallout is whatever happens to me when I'm just out there exploring.

GTA online because my girlfriend is making me level up enough to play with her.

Possibly the least said phrase on the internet and it's glorious.

On 9/26/2016 at 6:11 PM, Milkman said:

Started a new game in Fallout 4. I decided to give it another go after being extremely turned off by the ending the first play through. There's a lot to like about this game as long as you steer clear of the main story line and don't expect much in the way of speech options. I'm also excited to check out NukaWorld.

Always pick the sarcastic option. Always. 

Also, while I don't like being shoehorned into being a family person, I do think significant chunks of the main story were decent. Like the whole Nick Valentine rescue mission for one. Actually, anything involving Nick Valentine immediately became good. I'd just bring him places to see what he'd say.

Infinifactory makes me feel like a genius. I am definitely not a genius, so that is a very nice thing for it to do.

I am currently playing Kingdom Hearts Re:Chain of Memories on Kingdom Hearts 1.5 HD Remix for PS3;

abbmajh.png

I am also currently teaching myself how to play Mage Knight: Board Game without making any gameplay errors.

pic1083380_md.jpg

50 minutes ago, Scarecrow said:

I've actually been having a lot of fun in it myself recently, though no girlfriend to enjoy it with. Lock that shit down.

I didn't buy it for the longest time because I felt pretty meh about Borderlands 1 since I also don't have any good co-op friends. But the single player experience of Borderlands 2 is actually not too shabby. It feels much less like a bunch of boring MMO fetch quests. I mean, it still HAS those, but there are actually characters and a story of sorts going on, so you're not just collecting insect mandibles for random NPC or whatever. I also like that I can use whatever damn gun I want, whereas I seem to remember in the first game your class choice more or less confined you to specific weapon types.

3 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

Yeah, the guns are great. Probably the best Pew Pew game out there. Honestly, though, Tales of the Borderlands kind of spoiled me on the mainline series. Unless Borderlands 3 REALLY ups it's game in the writing/story department.

Just realized I quoted the wrong thing. was addressing Johro and his GTA:O post, BUT since we're here, who are you playing right now AAA?

I don't know if I would consider it one of my favorite shooters of all time, or consider it to have the best guns of all time, but it is definitely an easy shooter to drop in and out of for those "I don't know what else to play right now" type of moods, which happens to me a lot.

I'm playin' dat mechromancer, son.

I'm really not liking GTA Online.  The things I do for love :P

2 hours ago, Scarecrow said:

NOT EVEN THE STUNT RACES?!

That was the fun part.  Regular races, parachuting, etc sucks

15 hours ago, AnAnemoneInAnonymity said:

I didn't buy it for the longest time because I felt pretty meh about Borderlands 1 since I also don't have any good co-op friends. But the single player experience of Borderlands 2 is actually not too shabby. It feels much less like a bunch of boring MMO fetch quests. I mean, it still HAS those, but there are actually characters and a story of sorts going on, so you're not just collecting insect mandibles for random NPC or whatever. I also like that I can use whatever damn gun I want, whereas I seem to remember in the first game your class choice more or less confined you to specific weapon types.

We continue to be the opposites in gaming :). I really didn't like Borderlands 2 in singleplayer myself, but I think it's very much down to having to do that really boring and annoying starting chapter for each new character, instead of getting to start in the city. It baffles me when developers makes games to be replayed, but don't pay attention to how repetitive the start of the game can be. 

4 hours ago, CecilRousso said:

We continue to be the opposites in gaming :). I really didn't like Borderlands 2 in singleplayer myself, but I think it's very much down to having to do that really boring and annoying starting chapter for each new character, instead of getting to start in the city. It baffles me when developers makes games to be replayed, but don't pay attention to how repetitive the start of the game can be. 

I doubt I'll replay it anyway. Most kinda games that are specifically designed to be "replayable" or "infinitely playable" really are not and I find them less interesting than a narrative campaign.

This is a really bizarre analogy I’m about to make, but I’m going to do it anyway b/c it's the first thing that popped into my head lol

So it's sort of like when people have a sex fantasy, for SOME PEOPLE the context really matters. Like it has to be a fantasy of a school teacher or a police officer or something. It matters where the sex takes place, how the people got to be there, the conversation and interaction leading up to it, the music that is playing, the lighting, whatever. The context is vital to the experience. But for other types of people all that matters is the sex part. Maybe it's in a fancy hotel, maybe it's in a cardboard box, who cares, that's not the interesting part.

So to me, in video game terms, I'm like that first kinda person. I need that narrative to be there. But a lot of "arcadey" games are sort of like that second person. Which I feel like I kinda get that and everything, but it just doesn't do it for me. I need that narrative context.

So I actually wouldn't mind replaying the beginning of Borderlands 2 because I appreciate the way the opening contextualizes everything, albeit at the expense of some repetition. (It's not like I would be rolling new characters very often anyway.) I mean, the opening to Half-Life 2 is really long and takes FOREVER to get to the action, but I have replayed the HL2 series countless times and I never get sick of the beginning or wish that I could skip it.

So yes, perhaps here too we continue to be arch nemeses xD

9 hours ago, Johro said:

I'm really not liking GTA Online.  The things I do for love :P

Yeah, GTA:O can get boring.  Have you tried the heists, VIP businesses, or low riders missions?