Sign in to follow this  
dangeROSS

What are you playing?

I've finally finished the Blackwell series and I'm going to PM all of you that recommended it my therapy bill. Such good writing and story-telling, I'm so sad I've finished them.

Edited by EMarley

4 hours ago, EMarley said:

I've finally finished the Blackwell series and I'm going to PM all of you that recommended it my therapy bill. Such good writing and story-telling, I'm so sad I've finished them.

AREN'T THEY SO GOOD?!?!

4 hours ago, Bookdust said:

Witcher 3 and almost nothing else until I beat it. I'm serious this time. I will conquer this beast.

I was just thinking about how I want to return to that game. It's a great journey. 

On 25/5/2017 at 1:47 PM, Anemone said:

AREN'T THEY SO GOOD?!?!

Yeah... Still feeling bereft, honestly. Loved the characters and the twists and turns of the story. Having essentially binge-played them (I played Legacy and started Unbound ages ago, but once I finished Unbound last week it was full steam ahead), I was pleasantly surprised by how consistent the series was. I expected that, like it often happens with series where the games come out several years apart, like for example the Monkey Islands, they would vary wildly from one to the other, but Blackwell kept up its particular tone and spirit (heh) well alive (heh) throughout. The fixes they did afterwards to the older games probably helped with that (replacing voice-acting and character portraits).

Playing Overwatch really makes me appreciate Steam, because that Blizzard App, or whatever it's called now, really does some weird shit, often. 

And playing Overwatch is something I do with conflicted feelings, with it being a great game, containing some of the worst aspects of micro transactions and "rewards". 

I thought that the micro transactions were purely cosmetic.  At least that's what I got from all the ranting towards me when I brought that up before.

19 minutes ago, CecilRousso said:

And playing Overwatch is something I do with conflicted feelings, with it being a great game, containing some of the worst aspects of micro transactions and "rewards". 

Same goes for GTA Online.

6 minutes ago, Bookdust said:

They are purely cosmetic. Hell you can earn everything in the game just by playing and getting lucky with the Loot Boxes

My problem with them is that they are a lottery, and as such encourage a behaviour among their customers, that I really don't approve of them doing. It would be another thing if the items could be purchased for fixed prices. And the lottery aspect becomes more and more apparent the higher level you get. 

Headlander is being sold at it's best price so far, being a part of the Adult Swim Bundle. 

One of my favorite games of last year, that I thought was surpringsly well made. Go get it, if you haven't before (and isn't Linux only when it comes to computers). 

https://www.humblebundle.com/adult-swim-games-bundle

$1
Small Radios Big Televisions
WASTED
Westerado: Double Barreled
Volgarr the Viking

$BTA
Duck Game
Rise & Shine
Headlander

$12
Glittermitten Grove
Rain World
Frog Fractions 2

$25
Duck Game white duck plush

I finally finished Final Fantasy 15 (all tom swifty puns 100% intended), and overall I really enjoyed it. There were certain annoyances with it as far as certain quests or activities feeling structured in such a way as to give you the runaround, making you drive or hike extremely long distances that didn't really feel necessary one hundred percent of the time. For example, the whole point of going to an informant in a particular town is to learn about monsters in the surrounding area, but sometimes you'd go to an informant in Town A and he'd send you in search of a monster that was so damn far away that it was actually closer to town B. So why wasn't this hunt available from town B's informant instead?

Answer: FILLER.

I eventually got sick of the driving---especially after I realized there are tricks you can do to quickly grind out a bunch of AP in a matter of seconds. But I really grew to love riding the chobos by the end of the game and---since I had a crapload of money and basically never had to buy items or equipment in the game---I just used my billions of dollars to rent out a chobo pretty much infinitely. I wish they were easier/faster to mount and dismount, though.

I wasn't a big fan of how they changed things up at the end. I understand why they did it (for pacing/climax reasons), but I didn't like that it was such a deviation from everything you had learned/mastered up to that point, and the maze-of-corridor dungeon designed seemed like such boringly ancient design compared to the freshness of the earlier open world approach.

I will agree with them that the open world part was odd from a pacing perspective because it lacked that storybook momentum of feeling like you are always moving forward. Despite the hugeness of the open world, it also feels like you are always in the same place (albeit an extremely very huge place). But that being said, the idea of a Kingdom Hearts style JRPG where just a group of friends spend the summer driving up and down the roads, eating fast food, playing arcade games, and geocaching (where the caches all have deadly monsters inside) is really... pleasant.

Overall, I'd say this game is a pain in the ass for a working adult to play, but if you've got a long vacation or are still in school and have time to kill, it is actually a pretty pleasant sandbox experience.

Oh, I should mention that I also played and "finished" (i.e. milked dry) the current build of Slime Rancher.

I'd say that, at it's core, Slime Rancher is at its very heart a clicker game. That is probably the worst thing I could say about it and the only bad thing I can say as far as being negatively critical.

But man is it adorable af, relaxing af, and addicting af. If you just want a game that gives you a relaxing distraction or something to do with your hands while you watch a movie or a stream, then Slime Rancher is just peachy.

Still mostly playing Overwatch, but I bought Morrowind, Fallout 3 and Fallout: New Vegas on GOG, so I should start modding the <bad word> out of them I guess. :)

Haven't played Fallout 3 since I beat it around it's release, on PS3, but I am curious about the mod that lets you merge that and New Vegas. 

And New Vegas is by far the better game out of them, as everyone with a bit of sense in them understands. ;)

1 hour ago, CecilRousso said:

And New Vegas is by far the better game out of them, as everyone with a bit of sense in them understands. ;)

You're a villain. 

3 hours ago, Anemone said:

You're a villain. 

:purple:

I try. 

8 hours ago, Anemone said:

You're a villain. 

Are you a real villain?

Two new games to play on GOG:

• The Vanishing of Ethan Carter
  • Rebel Galaxy. 

Ethan Carter was 85%, and with money I've gotten from previous purchases through their regional pricing offset, I got it for 1.7€. And Rebel Galaxy was free with my first purchase of the sale. So 1.7€ for both those games felt like an ok deal. :)

I ordered some NFC tag stickers from Tagstand and imprinted them with Nintendo Amiibo information (with my Android phone) so I don't have to pay through the nose and hunt until I'm an old man to collect all the actual figurines. Now I can get all the extra goodies in Breath of the Wild that the Zelda figures provide :). I'm going to eventually design my own graphics for cards and stick the stickers on them and carry them around in my Switch case. Fantastic! Not bad for a buck each for an amiibo instead of $20 or however much they are. I still need to get stickers for the actual BOTW Amiibos but they don't have any exclusive content (like themed tunics and weapons and stuff) so it's not a big deal right now.

I've already gotten the Sword of the Goddess from Skyward Sword and the Hero's Shield from Wind Waker. Really want those Twilight Princess tunic, though!

Edited by MusicallyInspired

Back to playing Thimbleweed Park, trying to finish it up. But I'm not really feeling this game. It's good, but there really aren't any characters that I actually care that much about, and the quality of the puzzles feels really uneven. 

On 6/10/2017 at 4:04 AM, Bookdust said:

Wait, can you link me to a tut or something so I can do this?

Basically, you can order NFC tags in sticker, card, or keychain form (NTAG215 format), then install the Android app TagMo (make sure your Android has NFC capabilities, all recent ones do) to write to the tags. Each tag can only be written once.

edited to conform more closely to forum rules. everything I've just said is perfectly legal.

Edited by MusicallyInspired

I've been playing a bit of Undertale this week, and I think I like it. The music is the best thing about it.

You can choose not to fight the enemies, which means that that's what I'm doing all the time. I avoid killing anything in video games if I can.

I FINALLY GOT A SWITCH.

BARELY.

BY HAPPENSTANCE.

You practically have to murder someone for one of these damn things. (My German friends assure me that it's quite simple in Deutschland. Alas, it is nigh impossible in the US.) I really hope Nintendo can get their act together on this supply issue, because whatever advantages the "SELLING OUT HARD TO FIND" publicity is getting them is probably being undercut by people feeling fed up and frustrated.

All of that aside, I'm really pleased with it so far. The joy cons ARE surprisingly small. I mean, I had heard that, and I was expecting it, and they're not really smaller than I expected them to be or anything, but still when you first open the box and put your hands on them, there is definitely that little moment of like... wow... these things are just cute little toys, huh?

For some people I guess that might be a bad moment, but I kinda like how cute it is? And I imagine many others will feel the same. I'm not particularly concerned with how my switch looks, but my gal pals are looking at their joycon color options like they are shopping for a new pair of cute ass shoes. The switch might be clever on levels not usually examined in gaming press pro/con lists. The cute factor is real and not insignficant.

But also, I'll be damned, it works just as advertised. I was afraid I might have to charge the thing right out of the box or something, and was worried my screen would remain charged but my joycons would die or something like that. But nope. It immediately works right out of the box, either handheld or docked, and it immediately launches into a slick tutorial that not only tells you how to set it up, but explains how to SWITCH between docked/handheld and reassures you about what this does/doesn't mean etc. There are some other very nice tuts available via the NEWS page once you turn it on.

The Switch UI is much faster than the sluggish WiiU, and much simpler. VERY simple. Surprisingly simple. Dare I say, compared with the other consoles: REFRESHINGLY simple.

As much as I am loathe to make the analogy: as MS and Sony veer increasingly PC-esque with their consoles, is Nintendo kinda the Mac of the console space? I think they might be.

I get terrible WiFi signal in my bedroom, so the ability to just undock the switch and carry it downstairs to my router, hold it right up to the router's face, and scream "THIS IS MY F---ING INTERNET, NOW CONNECT TO IT" is---okay, maybe this anecdote is a little too particular to me personally, but it means a lot is all I'm saying. Updating my PS4 firmware is a nightmare in comparison.

I mostly played six straight hours of botw last night with it docked, but I brought it with me to work today and am going to play some Disgaea on my lunch break.

PORTABLE DISGAEA? HELL YES I WANNA DO THAT.

Currently playing Deponia, having never played it before.

It reminds me of Monkey Island.

Disgaea on switch is very nice. I'll be honest: I haven't played a Disgaea since 2, so I've missed out on a number of the new features and such. They've really improved things since the old days as far as tutorializing, improving recruitment, articulating the strengths/weaknesses of each class (and the male/female versions where applicable).

I like that you can apparently now pay HL during character creation to choose the starting level of the newly recruited character instead of having to grind every new unit all the way up from level 1. We'll see how the HL economy plays out in terms of how liberally it lets you use that, though.

I was only able to play for about an hour, so I'm looking forward to seeing the other improvements. (I don't even have access to the demon court yet, but I'm sure it will be there, or an equivalent.)

One thing that is both good and bad about Disgaea 5 (or the beginning at least) is that there is a special NPC that gives you free gifts. For the most part he seems to be a way of notifying the player when new classes unlock for recruitment and the like. But right at the beginning of the game, he immediately gives you like 5 unique characters from previous Disgaea games (including "girl leharl" which pretty much is just leharl with shoulder length hair) and a crapload of prinnies. I swear it gives you like 10 prinnies for free, as soon as you start. It's very nice, and I like that some of those classic characters are in there, but starting the player off with 20 free characters seems like maybe too much of a leg up? It won't matter in the long run and tbh I usually don't ever use the prinnies (blasphemy, I know). Just makes starting the game a little too effortless.

But, hey, it's Disgaea. It's mostly the same as always, and that's fine by me!

Beat Thimbleweed Park. 

It was....ok. 3/5. It had some bright spot, but very rarely utilized them. Rate Broken Age much higher. 

My sister bought Dishonoured 2 (PC), Doom (PC), and The Binding of Isaac Afterbirth+ (Switch) today. She's still in school in hardcore mode and has no time to play anything, however, so she gave Isaac to me to play in the meantime. Having fun with that. I plan to pick it up myself at some point.

The interesting thing is that the game has new artwork. It was almost a problem with she picked it up, actually, because the placeholder case on the shelf that you have to trade for had the old artwork.

(old artwork, left. new artwork, right)

nicalis-2.jpg

and the employee couldn't find it behind the counter. Finally she said "all we have is this one" and it turns out it was just the alternate cover artwork. I think it looks way cooler though. I wonder if Nintendo forced a change that was less...scary? I mean, that's silly because it's a rated M game but still....the new cover looks way more empowering and heroic than the old one. One could say it steps on the entire atmosphere that the game is supposed to be portraying but...whatever, it's just artwork. The game is what counts and the game is awesome.

Also, I found a way to mod the original soundtrack by Danny Baranowsky into Rebirth on PC (which has music by an entirely different composer). The new music is good, but there's something about the original that just suits the game perfectly to me.

Did you check to see if the sleeve is reversible...?

The Disgaea 5 sleeve was reversible and the cover on the reverse side was better, imo

Binding of Isaac? No, it isn't. But there is art on the other side but it tells the story of Isaac that the game intro also presents. Doesn't work as an alternate cover, though.

Returning to play a couple of games of Team Fortress 2, after one year playing Overwatch, was....different. :)

It's crazy how much more Streamlined and efficient Overwatch really is. But TF2 still makes me smile.