Sign in to follow this  
dangeROSS

What are you playing?

I've been playing Undertale, and reached the final boss. But I'm completely stuck, and cannot progress. Blah.

On that note, I recently finished the last Divine Beast. Just working on getting all the shrines now. Also got the last memory. I want that Hylian shield tho....

Between Horizon Zero Dawn and Breath of the Wild, I'm finally getting the open world experiences I crave this generation.

More open world adventure games that don't follow the ubisoft/asscreed copy/paste formula plzzzzzzzzzz

Well, there are the towers that unlock the map regions. I've heard people complain that that was a little too Assassin's Creed-like. It doesn't bother me honestly. Maybe because I don't play AC games.

I've been spam-scanning and save-scumming my amiibos trying to get all the items. I've gotten everything except the Twilight Tunic which is my most wanted item right now (Twilight Princess is my favourite Zelda game) and the Big Goron's Sword from OOT. I literally sat down and was reloading/scanning for 20 minutes straight and it stubbornly refused to drop. AGGGHHH.

I am excited for the first DLC content dropping this friday though!

The difference between how AC does it and how BOTW does it:

AC: Create a single tower climb / map unlock idea. Copy/paste, copy/paste, copy/paste, copy/paste, copy/paste, copy/paste, copy/paste, copy/paste, until map is full. Climbing every tower is literally the same mindless god damn thing.

BOTW: You are climbing a tower in each case, but they increase in difficulty, each one having a unique problem solving or combat element to it that makes it unlike the other towers, so you literally can't do the same thing every time.

I hated climbing towers in AC. It was a chore that I had to do, REPEATEDLY, but didn't want to. In botw I actually want to find the towers and climb them, not just for the map unlocks or to check them off the list, but because getting TO the towers is satisfying, and figuring out HOW to climb them is also satisfying.

Big difference between the two, imo.

On 6/25/2017 at 4:18 PM, fargetv said:

I've been playing Undertale, and reached the final boss. But I'm completely stuck, and cannot progress. Blah.

Pacifist or Genocide?

8 hours ago, Anemone said:

The difference between how AC does it and how BOTW does it:

AC: Create a single tower climb / map unlock idea. Copy/paste, copy/paste, copy/paste, copy/paste, copy/paste, copy/paste, copy/paste, copy/paste, until map is full. Climbing every tower is literally the same mindless god damn thing.

BOTW: You are climbing a tower in each case, but they increase in difficulty, each one having a unique problem solving or combat element to it that makes it unlike the other towers, so you literally can't do the same thing every time.

I hated climbing towers in AC. It was a chore that I had to do, REPEATEDLY, but didn't want to. In botw I actually want to find the towers and climb them, not just for the map unlocks or to check them off the list, but because getting TO the towers is satisfying, and figuring out HOW to climb them is also satisfying.

Big difference between the two, imo.

Right on, then. I wasn't saying they were the same. Like I said I haven't played a single AC game. Just that that's what people were saying as a negative point for BOTW. I liked it as well.

5 hours ago, epic said:

Pacifist or Genocide?

Spoiler

Pacifist, I suppose. I did not fight anyone, but it seems like I have to fight the final boss, and I have level 1 stats.

Edited by fargetv

10 hours ago, fargetv said:
  Hide contents

Pacifist, I suppose. I did not fight anyone, but it seems like I have to fight the final boss, and I have level 1 stats.

Same here, except that I'm struggling with Mettaton.

30 minutes ago, epic said:

Hide contents

Same here, except that I'm struggling with Mettaton.

Yeah, that's the second most difficult boss.

Spoiler

I struggled with him/her, and had to look up hints. It's basically an endurance test, and there is no proper sequence of actions you have to perform.

18 hours ago, MusicallyInspired said:

Right on, then. I wasn't saying they were the same. Like I said I haven't played a single AC game. Just that that's what people were saying as a negative point for BOTW. I liked it as well.

Sorry, I wasn't trying to sound like I was arguing with you specifically. I understood what you meant. I was just arguing with "those people" you mentioned, even though they are not here to defend themselves. (Hooray for easy victories!!!)

Numerous open world games use an idea similar to that one, even if it isn't towers specifically. I think people who are accusing it of being too much of an AC thing have their heads too far up AC's butt. Horizon Zero Dawn used tallnecks for the same purpose. I mean, yeah, it wasn't a literal tower/spire, but it's the same thing at the end of the day.

But hey, at one point in time, all FPS games were called DOOM CLONES. Show's wtf "some people" know, huh? :hexiraz:

Playing Darkest Dungeons, which is an amazing game and everyone should play it.

Is anyone interested in Crash N. Sane Trilogy? 

17 minutes ago, epic said:

Is anyone interested in Crash N. Sane Trilogy? 

It looks fun, and as they have put in quite an effort in it. But PS1 is one of those consoles that I mostly skipped by only playing on PC during that period, so I have nostalgic feelings towards game like that. 

5 hours ago, Alcoremortis said:

Playing Darkest Dungeons, which is an amazing game and everyone should play it.

It looks like a great game, but I've been completely put off from it, by reading how much time you need to spend with it to beat it. 

I finished Undertale. I assume that a lot of people here have played it, but if not: I highly recommend that you do!

It's sort of an old-school RPG, but with really creative and ever-changing mechanics. The characters you meet are really well-written, the music is absolutely fantastic, and the story is engaging.

I am not a big RPG fan, and struggled a bit in the start to get engaged, but then it just clicked.

This is the best game I have played in a long time.

5 hours ago, CecilRousso said:

It looks like a great game, but I've been completely put off from it, by reading how much time you need to spend with it to beat it. 

It's a rogue-like, so it's kinda like the point is you make incremental progress. Though, like most rogue-likes, the idea is that you learn from your mistakes and it doesn't take terribly long to recover from them. I'm playing on easy mode, so the game is more forgiving, but I tend to approach rogue-likes from the perspective that they're hard, but not really meant to be beaten casually. The only one I've ever beaten was FTL and then I wasn't particularly interested in collecting all the different ships and beating the game on every difficulty. I played Dungeons of Dredmore for around 80 hours just to see what combo of classes could even get me to level ten. I was immediately murdered by the boss there, but my personal goal was just getting to the boss fight, not beating it, so I was fine with that.

Roguelike, huh? That's a word that means "Anemone don't play this game ever, it is really bad, it is so bad, you'll hate it" in my world. :happytim: :hexiraz:

Well, it's not a typical roguelike. It's like a libertarian roguelike where you send countless mooks to their deaths in order to make incremental progress and fire them when they get rabies from a bookshelf (still not sure how that happened).

4 minutes ago, Alcoremortis said:

Well, it's not a typical roguelike. It's like a libertarian roguelike where you send countless mooks to their deaths in order to make incremental progress and fire them when they get rabies from a bookshelf (still not sure how that happened).

Are you saying it's a....

rogue-like-like :happytim:

8 hours ago, Alcoremortis said:

More like like-rogue-like like. 

No. We have to go liker.
Inception_LeoSquint.png

Been trying out a few games that I managed to collect through sales and bundles, and right now I'm 3 for 3 for games that weren't particulary fun. 

Owlboy - It's not bad, and it nails that old Megadrive/Genesis 16 bit feeling, but I don't think it's that fun to play. Only played for like an hour at most, but there's no real flow to the controls, and the puzzles so far have just been busywork without much thought. 

Divinity: Dragon Commander - A hybrid of Risk like turnbased strategy, and RTS, with a diplomacy/relationship component on top of it. The latter part of those three looks like fun, but Risk strategy part is annoying with you always starting in a much worse situation then your opponents, and the RTS part is just plain bad. 

Rebel Galaxy - Had hoped for something like Sid Meier's Pirates, but it starts out so boring. Have encountered two characters who send me on errands for the sake of it, and one battle that I lost quickly. 20 minutes played, but so far not entertained. 

Outland is the latest actually fun game I've found, a great Metroidvania clone with awesome art, that I got for free on Steam, and that's just 0.99€ right now. 

Yes, Crash Bandicoot is suppose to be hard, but stop comparing it to Dark Souls.

11 hours ago, CecilRousso said:

Been trying out a few games that I managed to collect through sales and bundles, and right now I'm 3 for 3 for games that weren't particulary fun. 

Owlboy - It's not bad, and it nails that old Megadrive/Genesis 16 bit feeling, but I don't think it's that fun to play. Only played for like an hour at most, but there's no real flow to the controls, and the puzzles so far have just been busywork without much thought.

You continue to be my arch nemesis when it comes to opinions on video games. How are you so exactly wrong the opposite of me on everything? Fascinating.

11 hours ago, CecilRousso said:

Rebel Galaxy - Had hoped for something like Sid Meier's Pirates, but it starts out so boring. Have encountered two characters who send me on errands for the sake of it, and one battle that I lost quickly. 20 minutes played, but so far not entertained.

Oh wait, you're right about this though. This is one of the few games I refunded. While it has great presentations and a phenomenal soundtrack, it's incredibly unbelievably dull.

Literally, playing this game, I would just point my ship at a destination, set the controller on my desk, then go make a sandwich. It's about as exciting as watching a gif loop for 30 minutes at a time. Don't even get me started on how your ship is confined to broadside fighting on a 2D plane but--inexplicably--none of the enemies in the game are participating in that combat system. I was extremely dissatisfied.

You continue to be my arch nemesis when it comes to opinions on video games. How are you so exactly wrong the opposite of me on everything? Fascinating.

It's only fascinating because you don't want to face obvious facts. ;) 

Spoiler

You suck!

No but it's not a bad game, I just don't see anything that draws me to play more from it, other then seeing more of the amazing art. The level design so far makes everything look the same, the story has nothing compelling, and the there's no obvious gameplay hook. 

But as said, they really do nail the 16bit feeling completely, A+ for that. The music is awesome. 

Oh wait, you're right about this though. This is one of the few games I refunded. While it has great presentations and a phenomenal soundtrack, it's incredibly unbelievably dull.

Literally, playing this game, I would just point my ship at a destination, set the controller on my desk, then go make a sandwich. It's about as exciting as watching a gif loop for 30 minutes at a time. Don't even get me started on how your ship is confined to broadside fighting on a 2D plane but--inexplicably--none of the enemies in the game are participating in that combat system. I was extremely dissatisfied.

Agree about the combat. I'm drawing comparisons with Pirates for this game, and that game had broadside fighting in a 2D plane, but it was the same rules for everyone. And the combat is more annoying here by the fact that you can't see if it's an enemy until you get close, and they can destroy your ship very quickly. And there doesn't seem to be a "save anywhere" functionality in the game. 

Pirates also had the plus that everything was recognizable and easily identified - map and locations, factions, ship types, upgrades (in the remake), etc. Here all stations, ships, enemies and similiar stuff blurs into each other, and aliens feel like stock footage with "Fxngrf" names. 

Maybe a bit harsh, but games that have content that look too much like each other, and put emphasis on details you won't be able to see clearly, is something that can make me bounce of a game really quickly. 

Edited by CecilRousso

I didn't really penalize it too much for those things because, as opposed to comparing it to Pirates, I was comparing it more to space flight sims like X3 and similar games. But even compared to those types of games, Rebel Galaxy gameplay was just... so bland.

Lots of staring at the butt of spaceship doing nothing for 20 minutes on end.

The combat is dumb.

Every mission is a combat mission---even the missions that present themselves as NOT combat missions are secretly combat missions.

Just watching the butt of a ship. Twiddling your thumbs. Yawning.

So boring.

Page 300! We should all try out the 300 game as a celebration.