Sign in to follow this  
dangeROSS

What are you playing?

I've seen it on the Switch but have skipped it because it looks to me like a bad mobile game. Since then I've heard a couple of people say that they like it? But I dunno, something about the look of it bothers me.

22 hours ago, MusicallyInspired said:

Anyone played Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas yet? It bears a lot of similarities to various aspects of the Zelda series (most notably, a similar art style to and concept approach as Wind Waker) except it's not as grand in scope and not as difficult. I've been considering grabbing it for my Switch.

I've been considering buying it. I'll probably wait until a need a new Zelda fix. I just hope it isn't like Ittle Dew. That game was TINY and super-easy compared to anything Zelda.

Edited by Chyron

Still trucking through ESO.  I do have to say that there were two specific moments so far which were well written and executed in relation to recent Bethesda status quo.  It gives me hope that I might actually give a shit about quest narratives in Elder Scrolls VI.  There were a couple questlines which I have encountered that were better than anything in Skyrim.  I think I'm like 120 hours in or something.  I can't be arsed to look at the moment.

So, I just had the following game in Rocket League

• Scored the first goal.
  • Assisted to the second goal.
  • Managed an Epic Save on our goal line, with 0 seconds left. 
  • Scored the winner, 3-2, in over time.  

Decent game. 

Edited by CecilRousso

I've finally gotten around to playing Stephen's Sausage Roll, and I'm loving it. It's sort of a sokoban, where instead of pushing crates around you roll sausages onto grills, but you have to make sure you only grill each square once, or you have to rewind or restart. It sounds simple but it gets very difficult fast, and you discover new gameplay mechanics for every world, such as moving sausage stacks, hooking+unhooking sausages with your fork, walk-rolling sausages, turning sausages on your head, unhooking your fork, etc. Initially each level is completely separate and navigated between on an overworld where you solve each puzzle in the order you choose, and once you're done, you unlock a sausage which can be pushed in place to open up the path to the next world. When you get closer to the end of the game though, there's puzzling to be done in the overworld too, and the game gets very tricky, so it's a true delight for fans of difficult puzzlers like Snakebird and DROD.

I played mostly The Long Dark this weekend, now that it's finally out of EA....

It's... interesting... and I put about 11 hours into it, but I think I have finally decided that I don't really care for it and probably won't keep playing.

When I play a survival game I expect to be able to grab almost any resource I see in the environment that looks useful and put it toward some kind of use (even if something very common---like grass/weeds---is mostly useless). But TLD does this thing where you see all kinds of wood and vegetation around, but you are only allowed to collect the twigs and bark scraps that the game considers resources. These are placed randomly, so it feels less like you are harvesting your environment to survive and more like you are wandering around searching for pickups. (No, no, not THOSE twigs. You need to find the twigs that COUNT.)

Then when it comes to things like crafting, in your typical survival/crafting game, you normally can craft your tools from natural resources, and all the things needed to produce the tool/weapon are also natural resources... emphasis on NATURAL resources... but not in TLD... -_-

In this game, it is first of all literally impossible to make your own tools/weapons when you are starting out. You can't make your own tools and weapons because you will need scrap metal, but you can't have scrap metal unless you just happen to find some (randomly placed and semi-rare, so you may or may not). But most scrap metal is acquired by breaking down small man-made metal items you find, which you can't do unless you have a hacksaw. How do you get a hacksaw? You guessed it: you must find where one has been randomly placed, and they are rare.

But suppose that you get lucky and you find a hacksaw right away? Nice! And then you find some man-made metal things and break them down for some scrap metal? Nice! Surely NOW you can make yourself a makeshift blade, right? Hahaha, don't be silly. No, no, no, you can't make a makeshift blade unless you find a hammer, which is randomly placed somewhere and you have to find it (of course). Will that be enough? No! Because then you must find the FORGE. Where is it? Who knows! But suppose you get lucky AGAIN and happen to find the forge (and all the aforementioned) before you die. Surely now that you have found the randomly placed hacksaw and the randomly placed hammer and brought some scrap metal with you to the randomly placed forge.... surely NOW you can make yourself a knife. ONE KNIFE. JUST A KNIFE.

Hahaha, no, because you can't make the flame in the forge hot enough unless you have coal with you. It takes a lot of coal, though, and coal is... well... it's randomly placed. Unless you found the mine, wherever that is...?

SIGH.

Can I just have a knife to hold me over until I figure all of this crap out?

Oh ho ho! Sure you can! There are free knives out there somewhere. Randomly placed. If you can find them.

Do you see what I mean? It just doesn't feel like living off the environment. It feels like "try to find the randomly placed things before you die".

There are all kinds of good ideas in it, of course. I played it for 11 straight hours just because it had me so intrigued. But at the end of the day, its survival formula finally just got to the point where I decided that it's bouncing off of me rather than sticking.

@Anemone Good writeup about The Long Dark. Been a bit interested in it myself, mostly because of the style the game has, but still haven't beaten it. 

As for what I've been playing myself, I'm off on vacation here, so I've given Skyrim a rest. 

Been playing a bit more 80 Days instead, on my phone. Off the games I like the most but play the least, this must be a top 3 game for me. Love everything about it, can talk plenty about how well made it is, and there's almost nothing in it that annoys me. Yet I seem to struggle to play it more then in very short bursts with long time between them. 

Back to playing my Double Fine backlog. 

Full Throttle: Remastered - It's Full Throttle, and it's Double Fine remastered layer on top of it. Definitely using the switch between remastered and orginal graphics more in this, then in DOTT, since I feel that this game "suffered" more from resolution limitations back then, then what DOTT did. 

MASSIVE CHALICE - Like with 80 Days, this was one of those games that I felt I liked, gladly recommended, but didn't seem to be able to make any lengthy progress in. But I've gotten longer now then before, and it keeps growing on me with the bloodline and relic features. And as always, there's something very rewarding with solving turnbased combat. It's like violent puzzles or something like that. :D

I still feel, as arrogant as it may sound, that the UI could have used another pass because it feels a bit sparse. I'm still not completely comfortable with building and research being one combined queue, and I would gladly have had a list of events in text, to get a better overview of the events. 

But there's so many good things about the game:

• The premise of the events the game is based on. 
  • The combat is very satisifying. Especially now that it's been a while since I played XCOM and have stopped directly comparing them.
  • Love the art style. 
  • The classes are all very useful, and hybrid classes is a stroke of genius to have come up with. 
  • The music, soooo good. 
  • Enemies are fun.
  • Aging mechanics really emphazis the value of experienced fighters. 
Edited by CecilRousso

2 hours ago, MusicallyInspired said:

Is that the Tunic of the Wild or the Tunic of the Hero?

Tunic of the Wild. It's dyeable, and I dye most of my clothes, but I've just been enjoying it so much I left it as default. (That is to say, I dyed it and started missing the default color).

Also, I don't have any amiibos.

EDIT: The Hero set and the Armor of the Wild set are somewhat different.

Hero on the left, Wild on the right (also, Wild is dyeable; Hero is not):

jtt1n0V.png

Edited by Chyron

lol I wrote a "not recommended" review of The Long Dark, which is probably like 1 of 5 negative reviews it received, and now a squad of smelly tryhards is cursing at me and calling me names in the comments, because how dare I not like or say bad things they don't agree with about their game rabble rabble.

It's amazing that anyone who interacts with game culture one time decides to keep doing it.

I have heard that the looting gets very tiresome and that perhaps the game could have looked better with a more stylized approach than what they went with.  I have heard good and bad.

Massive Chalice really really clicked with me now. Have gotten to around year 230, so I'm not sure how it holds up over repeated playthroughs, but I'm really having fun with it now. 

I reached the final battle in Massive Chalice, but I think I wil have to admit defeat to it, with it being way to overwhelming for the vanguard of heroes I could deploy for it. But I will have admit it being primarly my fault. I should have restarted sooner, when the difficulty started to ramp up and where I knew that I had made mistakes. 

And I have restarted now. :) It took way to long for me to get into this, but I really like this now, and would rate it a strong 4/5. It's not going to please RNG opponents/wusses *cough* @Anemone *cough*, but others who like turnbased combat needs to try it out (says I who had it in my library since 2015 without properly playing it). 

I played it a bit and it was okay. I pretty much knew from the concept stages that it was not gonna be my kind of game, but I GAVE IT MONEY ANYWAY.

I HOPE YOU FEEL BAD NOW, CECIL. :happytim:

I've been playing Shantae HGH on Switch and Pirate's Curse on Steam.

I still think Risky's Revenge seems like the best one, but I'm enjoying both of these two.

Finished The Lost Legacy

giphy.gif

OMG made me so happy. Like, so freaking happy.

Don't think this is anything but an Uncharted game. It's that, it's just that, but god that's all I ever wanted. Good platforming *cough*middlingcombat*cough* and some of the best adventure storytelling in any medium. Like if these were movies, or TV series, I would watch them. If they were books, I would read them, if they were a broadway musical I'd be listening to the soundtrack on Spotify and WISHING I could get tickets to a show. But it's a video game and I will play every one Naughty Dog is willing to put out.

Especially if future installments continue to follow Chloe Frazer and Nadine Ross and their awesome friend/partnership <3<3<3<3

giphy.gif

Edited by Tiny Dust!

I tried to pick up where I left off playing Uncharted 3, after having put it down for like 2 years, and I immediately stopped playing it again, because it was actually very bad. I don't think I'm gonna finish it. I still haven't taken 4 out of the wrap, lol. Maybe I'll just sell it, I dunno, I don't have much interest. I like the characters and adventure, but as games I find them pretty clunky for AAA tier.

I have never played an Uncharted game. On the one hand, I am intrigued... on the other, I have a pile of Kickstarted games that will be shortly coming out and a bunch of classic adventure games that I still haven't started.

Next up, probably Colonel's Bequest and then I get to GABRIEL KNIGHT. Which I've heard great things about, but I know absolutely nothing except presumably there's a guy named Gabriel somewhere in it.

I'd be down for an Uncharted game where the main PC is

Nathan and Elena's daughter Cassie.

Partly because I would like see Nathan pop up again and also because they seemed to be setting that up at the end of 4.

7 minutes ago, Noname215 said:

I'd be down for an Uncharted game where the main PC is

Reveal hidden contents

Nathan and Elena's daughter Cassie.

Partly because I would like see Nathan pop up again and also because they seemed to be setting that up at the end of 4.

OMG!

Spoiler

Do one about a now adult Cassie (early to late 30's) and an elderly Elena going on an adventure following the (natural) passing of Nate. I know it's kind of sad to think about, but if anyone can make an amazing adventure game that also tackles two women's loss of the most important man in their life it's Naughty Dog.

Edited by Tiny Dust!

18 hours ago, Tiny Dust! said:

giphy.gif

I think I'm done with this thread. I actually hate this thread.

I'm sorry I didn't like Uncharted, but I still love Tiny Dust. :happytim:

10 hours ago, Tiny Dust! said:

OMG!

Reveal hidden contents

Do one about a now adult Cassie (early to late 30's) and an elderly Elena going on an adventure following the (natural) passing of Nate. I know it's kind of sad to think about, but if anyone can make an amazing adventure game that also tackles two women's loss of the most important man in their life it's Naughty Dog.

You almost had me up until Nathan dying, and to that I say hell to the no. I think Cassie should go on an adventure that forces her to unwillingly face the consequences of Nathan and Elsie's lives (kidnapped by an old enemy?). Or that she is sheltered too much by her parents and when she decides to do some treasure hunting of her own, part of it is to share in her parents' legacy as well as to break free from them to make her own, but in the end she finds herself in deep and needs to figure out whether she would do things exactly how her father did them while Nathan and Elsie are forced to confront the uglier aspects of their treasure hunting lives.

Edited by Noname215

5 hours ago, Anemone said:

I'm sorry I didn't like Uncharted, but I still love Tiny Dust. :happytim:

I don't care that you dislike Uncharted. I just find that there's a tone set for the conversations in this thread by it's regulars that I dislike. So I'm done here.

I've been playing slime rancher. It's a nice game, and I think I can get about 40-60 hours out of it.