Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
dangeROSS

What are you playing?

8,864 posts in this topic

Always too many games to play for me. Currently torn between Thimbleweed Park, Persona 5 and Final Fantasy Brave Exvius. I have never before been so addicted to a mobile game. I love the sprites, they are so detailed with poses just like Amano's artwork!

7 hours ago, Anemone said:

I think when I finally go back to the witcher, I'm just gonna start with 2. The first one I felt like was borderline walking simulator at times.

Also, I either could never figure out how to beat the first boss or else I got sick of sitting through an hour of unskippable dialogue every fail/retry. I stopped playing it for one of those reasons. =P

First boss is very unfair, I just remember that I kept retrying until out of nowhere I just one shot it for no reason haha. Didn't really question it. Also you can save right after the huge chunk of dialogue if you tap F5 like a madman right before it ends.

5 hours ago, Noname215 said:

IMG_2505.JPG

IMG_2506.JPG

Ahh, the good ole Rick Roll.

More like the Ron Roll.

Honestly I don't know what else I was expecting. He ain't giving it up until Disney gives over the rights. But what are the actual chances of that happening?

Okay, fine, I'll tell you what the secret of monkey island really is.

Remember when LucasArts tried to pass off the secret as a giant monkey robot

Posted (edited)

Growing up, I never wondered what the secret of Monkey Island was, because I considered it completely explained in the first game: A ghost ship full of ghost pirates hiding in a sea of lava inside Monkey Island. I don't remember Monkey 2 refering to the secret at all, probably because Ron Gilbert didn't think there was a secret anymore. 

The secret of Big Whoop was much more ambigious, and what people are thinking about, I guess?

Edited by fargetv

4 hours ago, Noname215 said:

Remember when LucasArts tried to pass off the secret as a giant monkey robot

It's hard to forget. 

" - So here's the Monkey Island franchise. Do what you want with it, be creative."

" - Ok, here's our take on it. Lets reuse all the old characters without any clear purpose as to why, rebuild the classic locations instead of going to new places, and then completely retcon central story points of the first game, one the most classic games in the genre. Because reasons." 

5 hours ago, fargetv said:

Growing up, I never wondered what the secret of Monkey Island was, because I considered it completely explained in the first game: A ghost ship full of ghost pirates hiding in a sea of lava inside Monkey Island. I don't remember Monkey 2 refering to the secret at all, probably because Ron Gilbert didn't think there was a secret anymore. 

The secret of Big Whoop was much more ambigious, and what people are thinking about, I guess?

The point of Big Whoop was that it was underwhelming, hence the name. All this talk of fabulous treasure,

and in the end it's just an E-Ticket for Disneyland.

7 hours ago, Noname215 said:

The point of Big Whoop was that it was underwhelming, hence the name. All this talk of fabulous treasure,

Reveal hidden contents

and in the end it's just an E-Ticket for Disneyland.

Possibly. But then Guybrush got transformed into a child and all that.

37 minutes ago, fargetv said:

Possibly. But then Guybrush got transformed into a child and all that.

I think that just lends itself to the overall Secret of Monkey Island. I've read arguments how some think the true secret is that the world of Monkey Island is all within the overactive imagination of a child, lost and wandering Disneyland or some such amusement park. But I think that if that is the true secret then it's a pretty weak ass Shyamalan at his worst type resolution, so I choose to believe there's more to it than that.

The Secret is not just that of the one game or the one island, it's  more like the glue that holds the mystery of the first two games and their world together. Curse of Monkey Island and the games that followed are pretty much non-canon if Ron Gilbert ever gets to make his game.

Full Throttle: Remastered

Actually have two keys for this, of which I used one, because of the lacking information on the Humble Store page about it also coming with a DRM free download (which DF still haven't updated). Might do a giveaway with the other key here, if I can figure out the best way for it.