• Announcements

• Spaff

New Forum software & theme display issues   07/20/2017

The latest forum update has caused some readability issues with our themes!  This was unexpected, so might take a little bit of time to fix, sorry about that. I think we've fixed the main ones though. We could have a bunch of new features too, I just need to look at those and see what we have enabled etc. More on that soon! If you spot any issues or things we need to tweak, please post them here:   a
Sign in to follow this  
dangeROSS

What are you playing?

A bethesda RPG where the characters, dialogue, and voice acting are incredibly hammy and stupid?

GET THE HECK OUTTA TOWN :happytim:

Bethesda RPGs are enjoyable only for the exploration. I honestly don't know how people can get into the lore of it. I mean, I'm a nerd, but there is such a thing as TOO DORKY even for me, and Bethesda dialogue/VO really tends to take it there.

45 minutes ago, Anemone said:

A bethesda RPG where the characters, dialogue, and voice acting are incredibly hammy and stupid?

Bethesda RPGs are enjoyable only for the exploration. I honestly don't know how people can get into the lore of it. I mean, I'm a nerd, but there is such a thing as TOO DORKY even for me, and Bethesda dialogue/VO really tends to take it there.

Morrowind had a great world, with lots of interesting places to explore and understand. 

Oblivion had a pretty crappy story, but great quest lines for the factions, and the DLC. 

So with Skyrim, I thought it's fair that you expected some kind of improvement. 

And if not that, then why not adapt storylines to kind of scenarios you expect to be able to build, instead of building a Civil War that feels like a playground fight. 

Shadows of Mordor has a free weekend on Steam, so  I gave it a try to see what all the fuzz have been about. 

And I kinda get it. Played it for an hour, and there's always something going on. Nemesises, story missions, upgrade abilities, upgrade weapons, prey to track down, etc. It's a fast moving game that includes so many things without ever really slowing down (well, at least not the first hour that is). 

Not gonna buy it, since I don't want to spend that much time on an action game right now, but what the devs made with this game is really impressive, that they managed to tick of so many boxes and seemingly pull it of. 

*Open world
*A story that might be a bit generic, but at least works for the game. 
*Tutorials that are short enough to not bore, but does explain things. 
*Their own nemesis systems. 
*Stealth and pure action. 
*So many upgrades. 
*So many extras. 

I kinda suck at this game though. Pretty much just storms any enemies I see, and have a nemesis who have either killed me himself, or had someone in his entourage do it for him three times during that hour. :) 

It's not my genre of choice, but I can see why people who like that genre have hyped it as much as they have. 

Edit: Wen back and played a bit more. And I think the one thing that puts me off a purchase, is that there doesn't seem to be any safe spaces to walk around in. Although I did feel like the pacing was good, it's bit too "stressful" for me, to have enemies come at me, as soon as I poke my head out. I bit like how I didn't enjoy most of the map in Fallout 4, because so large parts of it was just filled with Super Mutants and Ghouls. 

Edited by CecilRousso

Okay, I've played plenty of Breath of the Wild by now and...wait for it... I can't say it's my favorite Zelda game.

It's sooo different from the other games. I know people who complain about previous 3D Zeldas being too formulaic, but because this Zelda game so different in style, scope, and difficulty, et al., that comparing Breath of the Wild to Twilight Princess or Wind Waker is almost completely unfair. It's almost a completely different genre of game.

9 hours ago, Chyron said:

Okay, I've played plenty of Breath of the Wild by now and...wait for it... I can't say it's my favorite Zelda game.

It's sooo different from the other games. I know people who complain about previous 3D Zeldas being too formulaic, but because this Zelda game so different in style, scope, and difficulty, et al., that comparing Breath of the Wild to Twilight Princess or Wind Waker is almost completely unfair. It's almost a completely different genre of game.

Welp, sorry charlie, but you're probably gonna be in the minority opinion on that one.

I agree that it's a completely different style of game, but it's actually my favorite Zelda I've played in a while. I didn't really care for TP or WW very much (which is a minority opinion of my own).

4 hours ago, Anemone said:

Welp, sorry charlie, but you're probably gonna be in the minority opinion on that one.

For now, yes, due to the hype. But in the long term down the road, I don't see how this game can be compared to the others.

Among the myriad of other things, exploration is key in this game. It's not just that you can wander in a random direction if you so choose; the game doesn't remotely tell you how to get to a destination. It's not that you can climb cliffs; you have to. All the time.

It's not bad. It's not better. It's just different. The gameplay is more different than it is similar to any previous titles. And that's what gets me. It's so different that there's very little comparison to be made.

Plus, this game is brutally difficult just on the standard difficulty setting, without even getting into Hero Mode.

Edited by Chyron

14 hours ago, Chyron said:

I don't see how this game can be compared to the others.

An argument could be made that its openness is more similar to TLOZ / ALTTP than the later 3D zeldas, which (probably mostly for technical reasons) took a more island-hopping or web-of-corridors approach to world design. In some broad ways, this feels like a return to form.

Among the myriad of other things, exploration is key in this game. It's not just that you can wander in a random direction if you so choose; the game doesn't remotely tell you how to get to a destination. It's not that you can climb cliffs; you have to. All the time.

Exploration IS the key and it IS optional, which is why it's amazing.

Everything in the game is technically optional. If you want to, you can completely ignore the main quests, never get the master sword, never fight any of the divine beasts, and just charge straight into Hyrule castle and take on Ganon. Of course, you're going to have a hell of a time if you do that, but you CAN and some people have.

If you want to 100% the game (or get extremely close), then yes, you have to go everywhere. That just makes sense.

It is annoying, though, how often you need to climb cliffs but you can't because it's raining. AGAIN. >.<

It's not bad. It's not better.

Better than WW and TP if you ask me >.>

Plus, this game is brutally difficult just on the standard difficulty setting, without even getting into Hero Mode.

How so?

I actually have found it mostly pretty easy in standard mode, simply because fighting is often very optional. I think if you are trying to run straight into a mob of black/blue bokoblins thinking you're going to fight all of them with only your sword (which will break halfway through anyway) then you're gonna have a bad time. You really have to kite, sneak attack, and utilize non-sword/bow techniques (e.g. bombs, magnesis, stasis) in the more challenging fights. You definitely have to play it much more safe and careful than in previous games, which I think is fine.

And you pretty much reach a point where you have so much healing going for you (via meals or magic) that it's nearly impossible to get KO'd anyway. Or you get so rich that you can just buy 100 bomb arrows and go to town on whatever it is. Your DEF also improves significantly in time, which helps a lot as well. It definitely feels a lot harder to scrape by when you're first starting out, but that's as it should be.

The only fights I've found truly difficult so far---and I think this is the general consensus---are friggin' lynels, man. Those things are not playing around.

I'm not trying to be like "git gud" or whatever, because I hate when people do that. I just mean, I've heard a lot of people say that it's more challenging, but it's generally said in a positive way. You're the first person I've heard suggest that it's challenging in an unsatisfying way.

I agree, though, that aside from the shrines, it would have been nice to have more classic zelda-esque DUNGEONS to find and explore. You do get a little bit of that with the divine beasts, but if they choose to use this formula again going forward, I think they should go a little lazy crazy with the shrines and put some more of those type dungeons in there.

For now, yes, due to the hype. But in the long term down the road, I don't see how this game can be compared to the others.

I think it's fairly close to the original LOZ more than any of the others.

It's not that you

can climb cliffs; you have to. All the time.

Wow. I couldn't disagree more with this sentiment.

Once you get the hang of the combat system you'll find that it would be excruciatingly boring without it. I love the combat. There is a very effective and satisfying parry and dodging system that just hits the spot when it's successful. Combine that with the various champion powers you acquire as you progress....it's quite fun. But I suppose it can be an acquired taste. The music is fantastic also. I'm just happy that it's not a diluted combat. It's nice to see games get HARD again. However, I'm sort of thankful that Hard Mode is out now because combat is getting easy...and not just because I have better weapons and armour now.

I love this game and I also love games like TP and WW (TP though I think is better). I think changing up the formula is a great idea to keep Zelda fresh and it was exactly the goal Aonuma stated when he started. If you went in expecting something slightly different but mostly the same as other Zeldas you're going to be disappointed. I went in expecting something fresh and new and got exactly that in spades. We've got the other games. It doesn't need to be the same.

if they choose to use this formula again going forward, I think they should go a little lazy crazy with the shrines and put some more of those type dungeons in there.

I do agree with this.

On 7/7/2017 at 8:07 AM, Anemone said:

Love it. Love it love it love it love it. I'm not a TES guru, but I find the lore exceptionally fascinating. And it makes events that happen in the games way more interesting.

Edited by MusicallyInspired

Okay, I think I know what my issue is: I haven't been doing much of the story. I've been doing as much of the main quests as I needed to, and then wandered off on a personal quest to activate all of the towers, or acquire the ancient armor (which I don't have yet because I need 6k rupees). I don't have bomb arrows.

I've started the Captured Memories quest, and the story is fantastic.

So, yeah.

Okay, I think I know what my issue is: I haven't been doing much of the story. I've been doing as much of the main quests as I needed to, and then wandered off on a personal quest to [insert random activity]

Case in point: Here I am tonight at the top of Gerudo Summit (one of the highest points of terrain in the game) after having just filled in the complete map at Gerudo Tower. I have 4 max hearts (albeit >+50% stamina). While I was near the Gerudo Tower, I wanted to check the summit for a Shrine to create a warp point there or nearby.

Spoiler

I soon found the Shrine under the Shock Arrow switch, having checked zeldadungeon.net's map for nearby Shrines .

IIqg1bQ.jpg

I'm also trying to keep strategy guide use to a minimum, whereas with The Legend of Zelda for NES, I and my family relied heavily on Nintendo Power to know what we were doing. I think I wouldn't have liked LOZ much if I had spent my time mapping the world out on graph paper or farting around on Death Mountain for hours looking for a Power Bracelet that I didn't even know was there. And LOZ can be 100% completed in an afternoon.

Edited by Chyron

I started a new career in Kerbal Space Program, and I had almost forgotten just how good the game is. I could certainly see myself calling it the best game I have ever played.

I started replaying Recettear again this weekend.

I don't know how I did it, but the first time I beat it six or seven years ago, I cleared the entire campaign without ever having to start over. How the eff did I do that? o_O

Things aren't going that well this time, lol

ESO

Not that it's a great game, but it's a good game to just pick up and drop constantly.  Sometimes life doesn't co-operate with my love of immersive story games.

I definitely think it's better than the Skyrim fanboys, whom despise it for not being Skyrim Online.  I play solo.  So for me, it's really just a normal game with other people around(thank @#$% for no voice chat).

Edited by Johro

Been on vacation for a week, so I haven't really played anything during that. But before that I tried to give Just Cause 3 a chance. Ended up refunding it on Steam. 

*Long loading times. 
*Some weird online login at the start, to match my progress with others online (which I didn't want). 
*Denuvo DRM
*A couple of really nasty crashes, that caused me to lose progress. 
*Shitty performance, where I had pretty much steady 60FPS for the first hour, but then got anything between 20-60FPS as soon as I reached a city. 

Might as well just continue to play Just Cause 2, that works flawlessly. 

It wasn't much money I spent on it, so I could have kept it. But when I feel that the publishers themselves doesn't care about the game, then it's hard for me to do it. 

Still playing Breath of the Wild. I'm working on upgrading my armor sets (having bowled for rupees at length to unlock remaining fairies). My God, this game is massive. Running around the countryside looking for hearty bass and lizalfos tails.

I dyed my Zora set yellow, and my current best armor set is Ancient (chest and legs at lvl 4). I'm going to start looking to collect all of the non-amiibo clothing.

I got the Master Sword... after trading in some stamina at the one place. Then I had the bright idea of going to retrieve the Hylian Shield from the castle. But then, when I discovered there was a shrine there, I got lost looking for the right entrance to get to it. Before I realized where I was going, I ended up walking right into the Sanctum.

Ganon is in the Sanctum. And I had only completed half of the Beasts. I didn't think I was going to survive by a long shot, but I tried it anyway.

...I won. I beat him. And BOY HOWDY was he hard.

Now I'm going to go complete the rest of everything (except getting the Golden Poo).

Edited by Chyron

So.....Skyrim. Despite my reservations about it, I manage to spend more hours with it, then so many other games. At level 7 now with my new character, and still haven't decided which way to go with mages skill for it. Trying to look into conjuration, enchanting and alchemy, but a part of me just want to be a stealing asshole with a bow, like in all RPG's. Not sure how much that says of my IRL character. 

Proper vacation is coming up also, and as usual I try to buy a couple of new smaller story focused games for that. 

Last year it was Firewatch and Headlander. This year it looks like finishing Full Throttle: Remastered, and then The Vanishing of Ethan Carter and Rime. 

And if needed, more Skyrim.  Although I have an opportunity to borrow a Switch and Zelda: Breath of the Wild as well. 

Edited by CecilRousso

I picked up Shephy for five bucks on the Switch and was hoping for more of a strategy game maybe more similar to a traditional solitaire game.

And it *is* a solo game.

But I think I actually really dislike it, unfortunately. We all know at this point that I am quick to loathe any game that requires too much praying to RNGesus and Shephy is a game where you can literally lose the game with the starting hand you are dealt, so you might as well just reshuffle.

I just... I don't get it. Why do people want to play things like that? I will never understand.

Still Elder Scrolls Online.  Not doing the pay-to-win shit.  Grinding is perfectly fine for a pick-up-and-play game like this.  Not something I'd play if I were on vacation though.  At least the grinding isn't replaying the same parts over and over.  I kind of like it.  I'm sure my opinion would be different if there was voice chat on PC.

Is Elder Scrolls Online worth it, as a subsitute for the Elder Scrolls VI we're not getting anytime soon? Is there descent exploration, quests and story to keep one entertained playing it solo? 

The map is massive.  I've played 88hrs and I've probably done 1/4 of the quests.  I have only explored about half of the map so far. I just started to find quests where you need groups in one area(about 1/2 the area is like that).  I'm hopeful that the other half of the map, which I haven't explored, isn't the same.

I don't know.  I'm seeing people, whom love Skyrim, absolutely hate it.  I find it a similar experience for myself.  I did notice that the leveling, and specifically magic, has far fewer options, but the combat allows more(2 sets of 6 quickslots).  Like Skyrim, there's a lot of story...everywhere.  I think I've done a handful of main quests and I don't even remember the story for it anymore.

Watch someone play it for a few minutes.  It depends what your Skyrim experience was.  I enjoyed wandering around and doing shit and there is definitely a ton of that.  There's a lot of hate though, so there must be a demographic somewhere else.

One thing that infuriates me about TESO (unless they've changed it since) is there is no point to grouping with friends because you can't do quests together Unless you yourself haven't done them before. But even then your goals aren't shared between your group so they're just your objectives that you have to do yourself as well as everyone else in the group. Can someone tell me if that's been changed? Because that's a big reason why I stopped playing. I wanted to play with my sister but without shared objectives and the utter lack of purpose of friend grouping, it's a real bummer.

I'm not sure about the first part as I play solo(that will be a running theme here probably).  Goals are definitely not shared, only enemies.  So unless the goal is to defeat someone, you all have to complete each objective.  Even though you cannot share objectives and replay quests that way, you can still follow along and help fight the enemies.  I play by myself as I said and that experience has been fine by me.

It's definitely more geared towards a single player experience...but that begs the question as to why it's an MMO in the first place.

10 hours ago, MusicallyInspired said:

It's definitely more geared towards a single player experience...but that begs the question as to why it's an MMO in the first place.

Probably why a lot of MMO players hate it.  Some people are REALLY into groups, guilds and roleplaying though.  So they've found some audience in the MMO community.