Sign in to follow this  
dangeROSS

What are you playing?

5 hours ago, Anemone said:

I'm sorry I didn't like Uncharted, but I still love Tiny Dust. :happytim:

I don't care that you dislike Uncharted. I just find that there's a tone set for the conversations in this thread by it's regulars that I dislike. So I'm done here.

I've been playing slime rancher. It's a nice game, and I think I can get about 40-60 hours out of it.

XCOM2 - War of the Chosen

Seems so far like a good expansion. The Lost and the Factions works as good new inclusions. The chosen, the nemesis style enemies, have I only encountered once so far. They're a bit cheesy as characters, but could be fun. 

It was interesting to go from Massive Chalice to this. XCOM2 + expansion is naturally of higher production values, but MC feels very sleak and manageable in comparison, and XCOM2 really talks a lot to you, poking for you interest. There are many interuptions in MC as well, but it still feels like the latter let's you play more without taking you away to something else. 

That said, it's two great games, so as a fan of turnbased tactic/stratey titles, I'm very happy now. :)

I played Slime Rancher. It's a really nice and relaxing game and I put a lot of hours into it, but the more you play it, the more you start to become conscious of the fact that it's basically just a really really really fancy clicker game. Once you unlock all upgrades there isn't really much left to do. I like that they kept updating it and adding more areas, but I found the late game areas they added to be too labyrinthine and frustrating to navigate. But on the whole it's a very pleasant game and relaxing game and I don't regret buying it at all.

oxp12ahx_998474.jpg

So Mario+Rabbids Kingdom Battle is pretty cool. First boss difficulty spike is too steep, but otherwise really enjoying it. It definitely has those X-COM mechanics of full cover and half cover and yadda yadda, but kingdom battle keeps it pretty simple cuz the chance to hit is always 0%, 50%, or 100%. Period. But also if you try to play the game like X-COM and be super cautious, hunkering down behind cover, creeping forward, etc, you'll get owned. Cuz kingdom battle focuses much more on movement, flyby attacks, using ally positions as nodes to chain together movement range extenders, using pipes to warp across the battlefield for a flank, etc. I mean, slidekicking an enemy as you run past them is a free action and has no penalty on your movement range, so if it's your turn, and an enemy is in range for a slidekick, and you DON'T use it, then wtf are you even doing? In other words, if you play too cautiously, enemies move like crazy and will just flank you for 100% chance to hit / 100% damage, so keep moving around like crazy to counteract the enemies' crazy movements.

You can work out some cool combos. During a game last night, it was Mario's turn, so I used him to exit cover, run up to a weakened enemy and slidekick him for a KO, then run to an ally and use them to throw Mario across the battlefield in range of a second enemy, where Mario then took cover, fired the shot, scored the hit---all in one turn! Ended the turn by putting Mario on Overwatch, so as soon as the enemy moved on his turn, Mario auto-shot him to win the match. I only just now unlocked the skill tree and am looking forward to unlocking more abilities. Apparently there are also sidearms/secondary weapons of some kind? I haven't unlocked those yet, but curious to see what that's all about. (For one example of a skill unlocked on the skill tree, one of mario's first unlocks is an ability where he can jump off an ally's head, then land on an enemy's head for melee dmg. Requires jumping off an ally first though. This is a free action, so Mario still gets to fire a shot after landing.)

I also like that it allows you to freely change your loadout and party lineup between battles and/or at the start of every battle. There isn't really much to do there in the early game, but as you progress and unlock new weapons, new skills, and new party members with their own unique pros/cons, it's nice to be able to survey the battlefield and choose which tools you'd like to deploy. The game really respects your time, and I like when a game does that.

The only real complaint I have about it so far is the same complaint I had about Steamworld Heist, i.e. when you move a character on the battle map, there is no way to cancel it, so if you make a mistake while moving and accidentally click on the wrong space, you just have to live with it.

lol, speaking of which

I landed the coolest combo in mario+rabbids over lunch. I had already moved both mario and luigi and finished their turns by putting them on overwatch. Mario was near the enemy front line and luigi was hanging further back using a sniper rifle. Both of their guns had the bounce special effect with like a 30% chance to activate.

Well, when it became the enemy's turn, the first enemy took one step toward mario while behind his cover, which put him in Mario's LOS with a 50% chance to hit. So Mario auto-fired at him for a successful hit AND successfully triggered the bounce effect, so the enemy took damage and popped into the air. Since he was airborne, he was no longer behind cover, which put him in Luigi's LOS, so Luigi auto-sniped him in mid-air from way across the field AND his bounce effect triggered, so the shot launched the enemy through the air, across the field, and out of bounds for an insta-kill! Mario served it up and Luigi spiked it!!!

That got a genuine maniacal laugh out of me. xD

Just got done with uncharted 4 and the lost legacy.  Both really fun games.

I also found this easter egg in uncharted 4

This pyrites flag is a monkey.

21077558_1667283249948396_50808422381446

- Oh, the XCOM2 expansion is coming out that soon? Well I don't need to buy it immediately, I have other games to play, and I'm back from the vacation on the day it releases, so I have other stuff to do. 

- Ok, I bought it immediately, because why not? It can sit there for a while, and I have continued to support Firaxis. Good for me! 

- Well, I have to test it, at least, right? Just play a few mission to get a bit of the good old XCOM2 feeling. 

- That first new expansion mission seems neat, let's finish that at least, and let's play around with the soldier customization tool a bit as well. 

- Why I play XCOM2 for an hour everytime I sit down at the computer? Because shut up, that's why! 

3 hours ago, fargetv said:

So the expansion is good? Or is it just the regular xcom addiction kicking in?

The good stuff

• The best thing they added is the mission variety. There's just so many different things you get to do, and they tweaked the old mission types as well.
  • And while I learned to live with, and like, the old mission timers, they have tweaked that alongside with the mission variety. So on the 10h I've played it so far, I have gotten two or thre missions where I had to reach the target in 7-8 turns, and neither of them was that difficult.  
  • Another great thing they added are different mechanics to make you rotate your roster of soldier between missions, with new types of fatigues, the option to send them on covert options you don't play yourself, and other stuff, so you're really pushed to add and level up many soldiers. 
  • They've added three factions, and at least two of them are pretty great and fits well into the story. The third one have I just encountered, so I cannot say that much about it yet. 
  • The chosen, the nemesis style opponents, adds some tension to the levels and works quite well. 
  • The lost worked better then I thought. I'm never a fan of zombie like enemies in games, but in this case, the explanation for their origing fitted quite well into the game, and they add good tension to the missions they are on. 
  • And there's new enemies, weapons, equipment, research, buildings, etc. 

The bad stuff

• The chosen just needs to chat up from time to time. For some reason, the geoscape seems to have a conference call system, where the chosen pops up way to often. They really need to get out dating or something, and stop calling me all the time. 
  • And while it was less so then they expected, they are quite cheesy and adds some cringe. 
  • People have said the there's too much stuff on the map, and while I don't agree with that, the popups for new events are that many that they distract the flow of the game. There's nothing wrong with many things happening, but the players should be notified about them a bit more discretly. 
  • Not feeling the added music. Michael McCann's OST for XCOM:EU/EW is already a classic for me, and while Tim Wynn did a great work with soundtrack for XCOM2, the one he did for the expansion is too "bombastic", with too may songs sounding alike. :\

Some reflections

• XCOM really feels much more like an RPG then a strategy title now. Nothing wrong with that, I like they direction they have gone into, but it's interesting to have played 10h, and only have built three buildings so far, and yet doing a good job so far. 
  •  The Avatar project that was quite stressful in the base game has been pushed quite far back, during these first 10h. It's both good that they altered the stress from it, but it has taken some nerve from the game as well. 
  • This board game like expansion style would be so great for the usual RPG's. Instead of just adding a few hours of gameplay in a new area, build on your games strength and expand the base game. 
  • The game can feel a bit too scripted during the 1-2h, but it moves away from that very quickly after that. 

Thank you for sharing your thoughts! 

I'm interested in the new mission types and mechanics, but I'm super skeptical of the rpg /story stuff. The less people talk in the new Xcom games, the better for me, and I didn't like the new characters in Xcom 2 particularly much. I will probably buy the expansion at some point, but I really hope that they didn't go all out with the chosen characters. 

Looked at my backlog and realized I never played my copy of Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix.

So back to the PS3 and started playing Kingdom Hearts II, especially in preparation for the upcoming KH3.

3112528913ad49601b5637f2dce1e099.jpg

Edited by Chyron

So, I've been playing Sunless Sea. For any lovecraft/steampunk horror peeps out there, you should totally check this game out. It's based on the online game, Fallen London, and takes place in the same world, but larger and with powering around in a steamboat. Technically, it's a roguelike game, but there's a merciful mode option where you can just play it like an RPG (which I'm doing, because it's ludicrously easy to die in this game). 

Though, even as a roguelike, it's a nicer one, because if you get to a far enough point, it's assumed that future characters you play are heirs of your previous characters and you can leave them heirlooms to make the start of the game easier.

Super Mario 3D World

Thought it felt a bit....bland at first. A bit slow, with levels that weren't that special. And then I played 4 levels in one sitting and wanted to keep going. 

I did start playing KH2:HD, but I keep coming back to Breath of the Wild to play on the side. My Switch says I've played it for 295+ hours, and I'm giving serious thought to starting a new (third) file with a different strategy this time. I just wish the game had more than one save file (per difficulty) so I could start a new one on the same Switch profile without deleting an old one. I don't really need multiple profiles on my Switch for just myself.

The longer I play Breath of the Wild, the more I love it. I feel I need to go back and play WW and TP again before I can declare BOTW my favorite, but I can say this: it blows every other open-world game I've played out of the water. I might have felt satisfied with not needing to play Shadow of Mordor or Assassin's Creed anymore, having had my fill, but with this game there is guaranteed no need to ever remotely touch them ever again.

Edited by Chyron

So, I played Destiny 1 and all of the DLCs except for Rise of Iron, should I get Destiny 2?

On 05/09/2017 at 10:40 PM, Chyron said:

Looked at my backlog and realized I never played my copy of Kingdom Hearts 2.5 HD Remix.

So back to the PS3 and started playing Kingdom Hearts II, especially in preparation for the upcoming KH3.

3112528913ad49601b5637f2dce1e099.jpg

Frigging love Kingdom Hearts! Roxas is my favourite but yh can't wait till 3!

I'm holding out on new games until Evil Within 2 and Wolfenstein. After that, probably COD.