Sign in to follow this  
dangeROSS

What are you playing?

I'm playing South Park: The Fractured But Whole

I like it more than Stick of Truth, which I loved.  I like the new combat system, crafting of items, collecting super suits, the different super classes, ability slots, and the ability to use the powers of your teammates to solve puzzles in the game world to unlock new areas or get new loot.

I also like how you can choose to be male, female, or other - and how you can choose to be male, female, other, transgender, gay, bi-sexual, asexual, and pretty much anything else, and how the game incorporates those choices into the gameplay and dialog.  I actually laughed out loud when the rednecks came to beat my team up when I chose a non-gender conformist character. ;) 

So I finally got the first borderlands game and have started getting into it. So far so good. I'm already glad that I picked Lilith since her action skill is real fun to use, a nice way to get around and a decent amount of damage. I do miss the little things from BL2 though, like no fall damage, characters talking to you after you accept/turn in a mission, customization. This one feels a bit more challenging though, something that I felt was missing in BL2. Also exploring the areas is pretty sweeet.

3 hours ago, Jenni said:

I'm playing South Park: The Fractured But Whole

I actually laughed out loud when the rednecks came to beat my team up when I chose a non-gender conformist character. ;) 

I made the same choice and love it.  I also walked around in a dress at the beginning and the comments to that were hilarious as well.  Some characters were offended, some said good for you, some felt awkward...  It was funny in a realistic way.  Somehow the new South Park game is handling gender and sexuality better than any other triple A effort I recall.

I love how you choose your "difficulty". "Don't worry. This doesn't affect combat, just every other aspect of your life." LOL

Edited by MusicallyInspired

I just started playing it last night and I agree with most of what's being said on two fronts:

1) Combat and gameplay elements are way better, as are the other systems, such as the phone w/ apps UI. 

2) The game handles diversity way better than any other game has ever done, even if they are doing it in a very sardonic sorta of way. They are at least demonstrating that, actually, yes you CAN take care of all these demographics, if you really care to.

What I'm NOT so sure about so far is whether the game is actually that funny. I've encountered a few moments here and there that got a chuckle out of me. The part where the rednecks jump out of the truck and attack me for saying I'm gender-neutral was pretty funny. But I feel like a lot of the humor I have seen so far falls into three categories:

1) Remember this joke from the first game?

2) Remember this joke from the show?

3) Poop, pee, farts, butts, boogers.

I'm hoping the humor freshens up a little bit. I'm not very far into it yet. I think I played for maybe an hour or two last night, but so far the humor is feeling a little bit recycled / phoned in. I'll be diving in more this weekend and hope to find some good stuff.

Side note: I also picked up Dying Light.

Rivals of Aether is way cooler than I gave it credit for. I didn't think I would be that into a Smash Bros style platform fighter without the appeal of recognizable characters. Losing that though allows them to be more creative with the character movesets (like the whale dude who can drop a puddle that acts as a frame trap, power buff, and a teleport node) instead of being forced to make existing characters work in a fighting game context. They also get to flesh out the depth of the game in ways the hardcore Melee fans usually have to force the game to do and even bring a ton of original ideas to the table. It's pretty cool.

From other games? My favourite game for ps4 is a Rocket League (RL)
On PC only classic MMO games like EVE Online and Path of Exile (PoE)

Fractured But Whole continues to have tons of bugs for me. Most of them are just weird audio bugs, but the unforgiveable one basically locks the game and forces you to reload a checkpoint. That's happened to me about four times in two days of playing, so I think I'm gonna shelf the game until they patch it cuz it's kinda getting on my nerves.

All of the uplay / ubisoft club crap is really unfortunate, too. I swear if ubisoft does.... WHAT UBISOFT ALWAYS DOES... to BG&E then I quit this universe.

Dying Light is great so far, though. I hear it gets stupidly frustrating later, but we'll see.

Odd.  I have only had one bug(two people talking over each other).  That sucks that it isn't working right for you.  Hopefully, it's doing it for enough folks that they do patch it.

I've been lucky with my home-built machine so far.  I was also one of the 2% that the last Arkham game worked for at launch.

I'm loving the character interactions in this game.

EDIT:  That said, Butters' dad just went flying across the room.  It might have been a proper animation that went way too fast.

Edited by Johro

I got a glitch in The Stick of Truth where a vendor didn't spawn for me, and he had some items I needed to complete a story quest. I still haven't gone back to it despite buying the PS3 version a while back.

On 10/20/2017 at 3:32 PM, Anemone said:

I'm hoping the humor freshens up a little bit. I'm not very far into it yet. I think I played for maybe an hour or two last night, but so far the humor is feeling a little bit recycled / phoned in. I'll be diving in more this weekend and hope to find some good stuff.

It gets a lot better around the time you start getting Freedom Pals members to join you, especially once you team up to break out an informant.  That whole scene, and all of the villains that you fight in that area are comedy gold.

Shadow of War has been pretty good. Haven't experienced a single crash.

Now I just have to wait a week for Wolfenstein II.

5 hours ago, Jenni said:

It gets a lot better around the time you start getting Freedom Pals members to join you, especially once you team up to break out an informant.  That whole scene, and all of the villains that you fight in that area are comedy gold.

The Pet Sematary reference is great.  How many people would get that?  There's a lot of love put into both games.

Spoiler

(path to Canada)

Still "between games" after beating XCOM2: War of the Chosen, so I defaulted to playing Overwatch again, with many matches as Orissa or Hanzo. 

I'm still having some issues with the game, with it being the game that popularized the current lootbox craze, but it is a fun game to play still. 

I'm going to wait to hop back into FBW for a week and see if they put out a patch sometime this week. Also MARIO ODYSSEY IS OUT SOON, so there will be that. I have entertainment aplenty.

I spent $60 on FBW and $20 on Dying Light and I actually spent my entire weekend doing nothing but playing Dying Light. There are one or two aspects that I could gripe about, but for the most part it is very enjoyable. I'm only playing in single player, but I assume the multi must be a good time. Well, the co-op anyway. I wouldn't really be interested in the "invasions" element.

It's actually making me want to repurchase Dead Island, as I never got to finish it before my 360 kicked the bucket.

Mario Odyssey has one of my favorite endings to any game ever. Not quite up with Nier: Automata, but definitely up with Wonderful 101. It's just so perfect.

Cool! And how is the game? Did you finish it all? How does it compare to Galaxy and 64?

I haven't gotten everything yet. There's a lot to get. A new kingdom opens up after the ending too. It's too early for me to say how it compares to Galaxy and I never actually played much 64. It's really good though. I couldn't stop smiling while playing it.

On 10/27/2017 at 1:03 PM, Hitlan said:

Overwatch

Who's your main?

Been playing Stardew Valley on Switch. It's really addictive.

I'm on Fall Day 7, Year 1 of my first playthrough, currently rocking a scarecrow-and-a-half sized cranberry field.

Oh, I sold back FBW and Dying Light.

I picked up Dead Island and Mario Odyssey. Dead Island is as good a time waster as ever, and as much as I have to say that Dying Light is a huge improvement and is much more impressive from a gameplay and technical standpoint.... I still kind of like Dead Island better....? It's just a lot more campy (whereas DL takes itself seriously) and for a zombie game I think I have a lot more appreciation for a gameplay style that is very slow, careful, and deliberate. DL focuses much more on running up walls like a ninja. DL also has a lot more arbitrary spawns whereas Dead Island is a lot better about just covering the island in zombies and letting those be the zombies. I dont' much care for DL's pulling zombies out of thin air because you said "yes" to an NPC even though those zombies weren't here five minutes ago.

But anywho, that's not what's important.

Mario Odyssey is important.

It's the only thing that's important.

Why are you reading this instead of playing Mario Odyssey? Stop it.

I haven't really liked a Mario game since Super Mario World.  I don't think anybody here wants me playing and reviewing it.  You wont like what you read any more than I'd like what I play.

It's just one of those things you know to bow out on.  So far, Samus Returns is my game of the year.  It edges South Park due to that game's story and ending being pretty average(still good, but not really good).

So tempted to pick up a Switch+Mario bundle now. 

Since I finally have good wifi that lets me play games online without having to hookup my ethernet cable, I've been wanting to play online games a lot more. So I jumped back into Splatoon 2 and Overwatch. I was gonna jump back into Street Fighter V last night, but because I haven't played since before Abigail came out, I had to download 10 GBs of updates. I'll probably jump back into it tonight though. 

Oh I also played Downwell for the first time. It's pretty good.

On 11/1/2017 at 6:41 PM, MusicallyInspired said:

Any informed thoughts?

My thought is that a mere two-game library is not enough Switch games.

Been playing the Blackwell adventure game series. Really good games with an interesting premise of a woman named Rosa and a ghost named Joey (that no one else can see or hear) helping ghosts move on and each game has a bigger mystery behind the events. 

Edited by ⛸Coolsome on Ice⛸