Sign in to follow this  
dangeROSS

What are you playing?

On 11/12/2017 at 2:30 PM, ⛸Coolsome on Ice⛸ said:

Been playing the Blackwell adventure game series. Really good games with an interesting premise of a woman named Rosa and a ghost named Joey (that no one else can see or hear) helping ghosts move on and each game has a bigger mystery behind the events. 

OMG THOSE GAMES ARE SOOOOO GOOD

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Like, they START pretty good, but especially once you get to episode 3 shit gets real

The constantly-shifting art style is sorta weird but sorta cool...?

I also prefer to play them with the VO turned off because the VO is not very good imo

The writing is very good. I plowed through that whole series in a single weekend. Could not stop once I hit ep 3.

River City Ransom: Underground captures everything that is appealing about the series. My only complaint so far is that some of the characters movesets seem too limited at first. it makes playing as them really difficult at the start, because they just don't have enough options. It's easy to fix that with about an hour or so of grinding though. And when the game has the same kind of controlled chaos in battle that the series is known for, I don't mind it too much. They even added random events. I was just beating up some generic thugs, when out of no where, Abobo burst through a wall and kicked my ass. This game is dope.

I’m playing Psychonauts properly for the first time! I tried it two years ago, but I didn't have a proper controller back then, and it was impossible without.

I’ve been having a bit of a bumpy ride, where a couple of the first levels were not that fun for me (the disco level in particular), but I just finished the lungfish level and the milkman level, and they were great! I think I may have glitched through something, though, as the story snapped from one thing to another just before the lungfish level, and I’m confused about what’s going on.

All in all: I’m more excited to keep playing this game than any other game in a long time!

I've been playing Injustice 2 and Uncharted: Lost Legacy. Both really good, but man, can I not stand Netherrealms insistence on using down, back, forward button combos so often. Just let me do some half circles or something.

On 16/11/2017 at 11:07 PM, Anemone said:

OMG THOSE GAMES ARE SOOOOO GOOD

AAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH

Like, they START pretty good, but especially once you get to episode 3 shit gets real

The constantly-shifting art style is sorta weird but sorta cool...?

I also prefer to play them with the VO turned off because the VO is not very good imo

The writing is very good. I plowed through that whole series in a single weekend. Could not stop once I hit ep 3.

I know what you mean about the voices but I kinda like the offness like it's a bit charming. The last one is my favourite with how it brings (most) of the series together. and the theme is stuck in my head cos it's in every BGM! 

Battle Chef Brigade

It's part 2D hack n' slash a la Muramasa, crossed with match-3 puzzle game. It's about an Iron Chef-inspired competition, with two chefs going head-to-head by running out of the kitchen, killing monsters, gathering ingredients, and bringing them back for cooking within the time limit. The combat is fluid and responsive, and the puzzles get increasingly more complex as the game progresses, with the introduction different types of gems, limited-moves gems, combos, and specialties which reward you for particularly difficult dishes.

I bought this on whim based on the weird premise alone and I was not disappointed. Cooking and the Iron Chef competition isn't an easily ignorable backdrop. The story mode is the star of the show here, and they create a world that revolves around cooking monsters. My biggest surprise was how pleasant most of it was though. Almost everyone was super-friendly. It takes at least a couple of chapters for conflicts to get more serious. Before that we still have the competition, and they could've gone the obvious route and made every opponent an over-the-top villain, but instead they are all very sportsman-like, and quick to become friends with the main character. I didn't know how much I really wanted to play something this upbeat and lighthearted until it already got its hooks in me. Now I'm left looking for another fix, with no idea where to find it. Best case scenario: maybe the sales will be good enough that the devs can afford to do the updates they're planning.

Yes, when I was 9. Feels like a lifetime ago.

To be honest as far as DF's games go I prefer Brutal Legend. Please don't kill me @Tim Schafer

Edited by Noname215

Interesting.  I got into Brutal Legend until it became an RTS.  Nothing against DF and Tim, but RTS aren't my jive.  I really liked Psychonauts even though I got into it late(PC; JUST before the Meat patch).  It's just a game that gelled with me.  I can see how some see it as just another game, but it just did everything well.  Almost flying under the radar since nothing was spectacular.  Just consistently above average and that is a feat.  Now, you can point to controls, but at the time, you couldn't really say there was something you disliked about it.  It had that classic Mario vibe where it didn't have anything fantastic, but it didn't sacrifice for it.

I'd say, "do it".

Psychonauts and Brütal Legend are two great games that I should replay myself. There's just so many memorable parts about both of them. 

My top moments from Brütal Legend: 

• That RTS battle where you started out being part of the ground troops, hacking&slashing, then making a burning led zeppelin appear and crash into the enemies, after you jumped up to flight mode to create some more troops and directing them, and then getting back to the ground, mounting a car and drive straight into the nemies. 
  • Getting to the Wall of Screams. 
  • Ozzy's first appearance. 
  • Getting the Boar Bather achievement, my favorite achievement of any game. 
  • Unlocking the last legend, after having beaten the game. 

And more. Love that game- 

Bought What Remains of Edit Finch, after seeing that it got released on GOG. With the 33% off release price, and having €6 in the wallet from price adjustment bonuses from previous purchases, I ended up just paying €6 for it. 

Don't know much about it, but it's been recommended so heavily from so many sources, I hope it's worth the time and money. :)

I'm playing Prey now. It's quite good! The best part so far is the small enemies, and the least interesting part so far is the big enemies. The small enemies are fun and can hide in plain sight. The big ones are humanoid walkers that make a lot of noise so you always know where they are, and who you can shoot one gazillion times before they die.

The story is standard sci-fi b-material so far.

The environment design is top notch, and the feeling of relative freedom is pretty good.

You're restricted by objectives, and there is an annoying objective marker on your screen at ALL TIMES, even in hard mode, but I guess that's how modern shooters are these days.

The game is not scary, but being careful about approaching enemies is fun.

Both Psychonauts and BL are incredible and haters can fight me. *flex*

I enjoyed Edith Finch a lot from a VISUAL ART and from a DIRECTION perspective. The game has incredible art and wonderfully directed sequences. All of its accolades are for "story" though, which I don't think is quite right. The story wasn't bad by any means, but it was also kind of unremarkable in a lot of ways. Including that much of the story was delivered in the tired old "audio log" or "scattered notebook pages" manner, and what is so remarkable about a game using the same bad practices as every other game? Where Edith Finch excels is  the fantastic visual art and the fantastic direction of each sequence where you see one of the Finch's final moments right before their death. It is a very visually creative game and it is has very creative DELIVERY during those "death sequences". Maybe I am being persnickety and splitting hairs, but those aren't really the same thing as good story to me.

For comparison, the Jumanji reboot just hit theatres and the reviews I've read indicate that the cast is hilarious and they really carry the movie because the story and the directing are terrible. I feel like a lot of times in games you don't see that kind of nuanced review on narrative where you can comment on the different aspects of it. Games at this point are just so chuffed as nuts to have anything that resembles a non-dumb non-puerile story that they would say, well, the cast was great so.... 10/10, INCREDIBLE STORY, GOTY.

In other words: Edith Finch was pretty cool for a lot of reasons, and some of those reasons were very "story adjacent", but I'm not convinced that the actual on-paper story was the thing that was great about it. To me Edith Finch was like taking a very mediocre story and then giving it to Guillermo Del Toro. You're gonna get something amazing out of that, but the underlying story won't be the reason. 

currently enjoying the mindless fun that PUBG provides. Looking through these steam sales to see if anything catches my eye as well.

On 2017-12-22 at 3:06 PM, Anemone said:

I enjoyed Edith Finch a lot from a VISUAL ART and from a DIRECTION perspective. The game has incredible art and wonderfully directed sequences. All of its accolades are for "story" though, which I don't think is quite right. The story wasn't bad by any means, but it was also kind of unremarkable in a lot of ways. Including that much of the story was delivered in the tired old "audio log" or "scattered notebook pages" manner, and what is so remarkable about a game using the same bad practices as every other game? Where Edith Finch excels is  the fantastic visual art and the fantastic direction of each sequence where you see one of the Finch's final moments right before their death. It is a very visually creative game and it is has very creative DELIVERY during those "death sequences". Maybe I am being persnickety and splitting hairs, but those aren't really the same thing as good story to me.

I've beaten the game now, and I think I agree with you. Some sequences were great (cannery, comic book), while some were pretty bad (kite), and everything between them were really boring. As you say, audio logs are not fun, especially not when everything you do in terms of playing is moving forward and looking for the object with an indicator on it. 

I'm a bit hesitant to criticize the story, since when the game start to annoy me, like the "gameplay" did, I tend to loose my concentration on what the story is trying to tell me. So I come off the game knowing about all these tragic events, but not much about what the point with the story was. I assume Edit went back to learn about her family herself, instead of through stories, and then ends up reading a bunch of stories, and that

there might or might not have been a curse

I'm somewhat glad that I played the game, and the cannery sequence was fantastic (even if it was about a topic that should be a game itself, not just a pretty brief sequence), but I feel pretty done with the restrictive games that relies on audiologs. Gone Home and Firewatch gave you some freedom to explore, even if it maybe just was an illusion of it, but I want to play games now, not listen to endless dialogs. 

3/5 if I had to give it a score. And that's not a strong 3. 

Bought Turok 2 on sale. I had immense fun with Turok 1 when I bought it last Christmas. I hadn't played much of the original on the N64 but really enjoyed when I played it through a year ago. I had played much more of Turok 2 on the N64 before it, my console, and my other games were outright stolen. So good to revisit it. I never actually got farther than the Port of Adia without cheating to get to the end boss to see what it looked like. I don't remember much of that, but I'm really appreciating how non-linear (despite the level layouts) and in-depth the game design is. Reminds me of Hexen. Both Turok games are wonderful. I don't remember Turok 3 being anywhere near as good at all, from the little bit I tried on the N64. And Rage Wars, well.....I hated multiplayer only games at the time that weren't called Counter-Strike, so there's that. Never played Turok Evolution or the reboot for the 360 (which looked stupid and lost all of the interesting lore of the original...much like Prey). It'd be really neat if classic Turok got a new sequel in the style of the two originals.

Also grabbed Duke3D World Tour (mostly for Lee Jackson's new music rerecordings), Full Throttle Remastered, ESO Morrowind chapter + 4 earlier DLC (Imperial City, Orsinium, Thieve's Guild, and Dark Brotherhood), and No Man's Sky...because it was on a big discount and people are saying it's better now. Curiosity finally got the better of me. I haven't tried it yet because my data cap is trash so I have to download it at work, which I don't go back to until the 8th, so still a bit of time to refund it if need be. If I do refund it I'll get Starbound instead. I would have gotten it as well but it's not on as big a sale and it's cheaper than NMS anyway. NMS was the bigger deal. Plus, as I said, still time to refund. Even when Starbound goes back to full price it's still cheaper than what NMS was on sale.

Edited by MusicallyInspired

On 12/29/2017 at 11:37 PM, MusicallyInspired said:

Never played Turok Evolution

It's the only one I've played.  Got it for $5 from Blockbuster.  I loved it... Mostly.  There was one really annoying early platforming part(Once I got a save past that, the game was very enjoyable).