Double Fine Action Forums

Ah, I remember those days, good times. Oblivion has sadly lost some of its charm though. As I have pretty much done everything that can be done, including unlocking every achievement. So now I wait patiently, biding my time until The Elder Scrolls V comes out and my life is suspended once more.

Psychonauts is the best game I've ever bought twice. Then its Oblivion... or maybe they're tied. Nah! Definitely Psychonauts, if for no other reason then the fact that if not for that game, I may not be a 360 owner today and I'd be all "that Oblivion guy is pretty cool." Which would be uber-lame.

HEY GUYS I'M PLAYING A NEW GAME AAAA

I'm trying to do a run of Silent Hill 3, one of my favorite Silent hill games. This is just my screw around run and stuff because I am a dork 8U

If you wanna see what sort of stupidity I do while playing the game then you can see the vids I currently made on youtube with the below link hooray

Yoink

OH GOD YOU CAN ALL HEAR MY VOICE AND HOW MUCH OF A DWEEB I REALLY AM AAAAA

also I promise that if you were afraid of the Silent Hill series before watching this, my vids will make you unafraid of them 8U

Still loving Mass Effect. Doing all the sidequests now, before I progress any furthere. I want to make this game last.

Bioware makes a mean RPG don't they Ross? I can never decide between them or Bethesda on which Western RPG company has the better recipe, I think that if they combined their flavors to make a game, that game would probably be the greatest game ever made. Especially if Peter Molyneux got to throw some ideas into the mix.

Currently playing Farcry 2 and Saints Row 2.

Indeed. I really liked MAss Effect. I just finished it last night. Now I want to go back and cause some chaos as a renegade. A hot female renegade voiced by Jen Hale no less.

I didn't really dig KOTOR (part gameplay, part star wars lameness) , but this one I enjoyed. I cannot stress how much I loved the overall story. I am a huge nerd when it comes to Aleins and overall existence themes it had going on. This was the first real space opera story done well in a electronic medium IMHO.

I kinda liked Morrowind back in day, I have yet to play Oblivion.

I traded Eternal Sonata for Mass Effect, and I am quite happy I did so. JRPG's are dead to me. Eternal Sonata was the first RPG I've given a shot in a while, and I thought it sucked. The graphics were amazing, the fighting was actually pretty darn cool too. But good gracious, the story and characters were horrid.

For some reason playing effeminte males dressed in frilly clothes doesn't connect with me. I don't know why. And I don't know if it's the translation process or what, but most japanese stuff makes absolutely no sense at all to me. This game is included with that. I've turned on Adult Swim every now and then, and watched some anime here and there. Like Ghost in the Shell, I had no idea what any character was trying to say or what the heck was going on. They were speaking English, but it was in some kind of code that I could not decipher. (end rant)

I would really like to play Farcry 2, I've heard nothing but good things. And if Ludwig from Joystiq likes it, then it's got o have something going on.

I traded Eternal Sonata for Mass Effect, and I am quite happy I did so. JRPG's are dead to me. Eternal Sonata was the first RPG I've given a shot in a while, and I thought it sucked. The graphics were amazing, the fighting was actually pretty darn cool too. But good gracious, the story and characters were horrid.

For some reason playing effeminte males dressed in frilly clothes doesn't connect with me. I don't know why. And I don't know if it's the translation process or what, but most japanese stuff makes absolutely no sense at all to me. This game is included with that. I've turned on Adult Swim every now and then, and watched some anime here and there. Like Ghost in the Shell, I had no idea what any character was trying to say or what the heck was going on. They were speaking English, but it was in some kind of code that I could not decipher. (end rant)

JRPG's are too seated in formula. While I'll say they don't fall victim to the same degree as sports and FPS do. They never really do anything new, whether that be gameplay or story. Its a shame too, since there is no reason why it should be that way. FPS and Sports titles make sense. They are such well explored genres that its hard to reinvent them in terms of gamplay and while FPS have under used potential for story telling (a trend that I see is reversing since Bioshock came out) sports has next to none.

But JRPG's stay the same, why? Because company's like Square Enix (the "Old" EA of Japan) release ten games a year and the well is dry, or because the fanboys and girls like their games to offer more of the same? The consensus seems to be that status quo is good enough, and that pushing the envelope in terms of gameplay and story telling is a waste of resources that can be spent making the game a visual orgy of awesome.

Most formulated franchise of all time goes to Dynasty Warriors though. The folks at Koei don't seem to realize that the world doesn't care about those stupid "Stuck-in-2001" crap fests anymore.

The only JRPG that I ever liked was Lost Oddysey. Kain was a deep charector and the story was cool. I never finished it though, because it was hard. I'm still on disk one.

I agree with much of what you say Scarecrow.

I haven't played a sports game in proabably 10 years, but I'm not into them anyways. So I don't have much firsthand expierence with them in general. I'm really worn out of FPS's in general. But I am craving some platformer action. Desperately.

Did anyone else read that whole EGM issue devoted to talking about the changes that are happening in the worldwide way games are being made and recieved now? It's was pretty darn informative and interesting. I think I just read the other day that Europe has overtaken Japan as the #2 consumer of videogames now as well. Things are going to be changing, and Japan is going to have to adapt, or be left in the dust.

Actually Europe is the second largest market after Asia, with the States taking third, this seems sad until one thinks about the fact that Europe and Asia are a lot larger. But we also don't have the cultural penetration that Europe and especially Asia enjoy.

Actually Europe is the second largest market after Asia, with the States taking third, this seems sad until one thinks about the fact that Europe and Asia are a lot larger. But we also don't have the cultural penetration that Europe and especially Asia enjoy.
Also, Europre and Asia are continents while the US are a coutry. You can't forget those Mexicans and Canadians.

Actually Europe is the second largest market after Asia, with the North America taking third, this seems sad until one thinks about the fact that Europe and Asia are larger. But we also don't have the cultural penetration that Europe and especially Asia enjoy.

Corrected.

I'd like to know where Iceland stands in the overall comsuption of videogame goods. I think they get the short end of the stick.

Question: GTA 4. Worth $10? I hear it's kinda boring, but for cheap I'm considering it. Opinions anyone? Help me make up my undecisive mind.

im playing WoW again with some stronghold crusaders and TF2. also restarted evil genius to so thats fun.

I'd like to know where Iceland stands in the overall comsuption of videogame goods. I think they get the short end of the stick.

Question: GTA 4. Worth $10? I hear it's kinda boring, but for cheap I'm considering it. Opinions anyone? Help me make up my undecisive mind.

BUY IT! BUY IT! BUY IT! NOW!

yes you should definatly get it...especially for only 10 dollars (i paid 60 heh)

its surely worth 10 dollars, and theres a good bit of people on DFAF that have it i think. i have it and scarecrow has it too.

I lurv Oblivion. I bought it last thursday and its kept my collegiate spring break occupied with questing.

I lurv Oblivion. I bought it last thursday and its kept my collegiate spring break occupied with questing.

If you like Oblivion and guns, you'd probably enjoy Fallout, too. You're allowed to be a little more...morally ambiguous.

Hmm, I might buy GTA then. Maybe we could play online together.

I have yet to play Oblivion. I did like Morrowind back in the day.

If you like Oblivion and guns, you'd probably enjoy Fallout, too. You're allowed to be a little more...morally ambiguous.

I'm not 100% on that myself, I bought Fallout with the thinking that it would be Oblivion with guns. But really its nothing like Oblivion. I mean sure the gameplay is similar and it uses the same voice actors and stuff. But there's something missing from Fallout that Oblivion has. The Elder Scrolls universe and all the geeky goodness that comes with it. Oblivion... for me anyway, is special not because of its gameplay (which is lackluster) or its graphics (which are dated) or even its story (which is just a traditional post-Tolkien fantasy) but the world and lore and overall detail that makes it so awesome.

I'm eagerly awaiting The Elder Scrolls: V.

I just liked stripping my lizard man down to his underwear, and fighting all the gaurds.

i hate to break the conversation about nude lizards but i have to say im playing through assassins creed....again. i wish the 2nd one would come out sooner.

Call of Duty (the first)! It's entertaining on the first play through, but I've been going back through it and finding out how limited and scripted everything is :(

Still, a good game. And one that's ancient enough to allow my PC to run it with all the settings on full, which is rare.