Double Fine Action Forums

I want something new in my gaming experience. I want a story with the depth and detail of a book, without resorting to violence and typical action for interaction. All in all, I'm ready for somebody out there to blow my fucking mind already.

Currently playing Grim Fandango on my laptop and Bully: Scholarship Edition on the Wii, both are so far proving to be pretty solid.

Fallout. I found it in a bundle with Fallout 2 and Fallout Tactics, and it's great.

Then again, I've only played for 15 minutes.

I want a story with the depth and detail of a book, without resorting to violence and typical action for interaction.
Have you played the Broken Sword games? If not I sincerely recommend them.

Also Beneath a Steel Sky, which was re-released as freeware and runs on SCUMMVM!

Ya know, I almost got one of the broken sword games. There was an xbox port of one, right? It looked interesting, and had a cool graphic style. But I didn't end up getting it. It's an adventure game right?

I guess I could suggest Dreamfall. It's an xbox game that is compatible with the 360. It has a pretty cool story, and is the only adventure game I've ever really liked.

Also, I think if anything, this thread needs MORE naked lizard people in it.

There was probably an Xbox port of Broken Sword 3, but 1 & 2 are the best I reckon. And yes, they're adventure games by Revolution Software. They've recently improved and expanded the first game in the series and are releasing it on Wii and DS (as Broken Sword: The Shadow of the Templars - Director's Cut). Not sure of the US release date but it's out here in the UK on the 20th March. The same day as GTA: Chinatown Wars! I'm going to have to sell some organs...

Cool. At least it's getting another shot on the popular hardware. Hopefully it does well.

I might be interested in some of your olfactory organs, if the price is right.

I've learned 1 important fact about you Scarecrow. You love GTA.

Let us know how it is. I'm curious to see how well it sells on the DS too.

Resident Evil 5- man, what a let down, its not terrible , but it is just plain old average...resident evil 4.5

Street fighter 4- my first real street fighter where i actually try to learn the moves....glad its this one, cus i am having fun....suck at it tho v_v

I gotta download that RE5 demo. Not really my kinda game, but W/E.

I think I'd like to try out Street Fighter as well. But I suck at fighters. Online would be fun.

I got Tomb Raider Underworld, and have been enjoying it. It's pretty similar to Legend. Which isn't really a bad thing. Nothing amazing, but it's sort of a platformer. And I need those like I need air. And bacon.

No, but I'm working on creating an Animal Crossing where everyone turns into a zombie except for you and a few others, so you have to pair up with Snake (you know, the pink bunny ninja dude) to kill them all.

...at least...I'm trying to convince Nintendo...it's not going too well...

No, but I'm working on creating an Animal Crossing where everyone turns into a zombie except for you and a few others, so you have to pair up with Snake (you know, the pink bunny ninja dude) to kill them all.

...at least...I'm trying to convince Nintendo...it's not going too well...

Goddamn Nintendo, they wouldn't know a good idea if it punched them in the nose, because I would totally play that.

But if not that, how about an Ender's Game game? 80 people multiplayer FTW!

...I think that's called an MMO...

I suppose to envision what I envision, 2 armies of 40 people, duking it out with lasers in zero gravity, getting "flashed" (their suits freezing up when they take a shot to the chest) and cries of "The enemy gate is DOWN!" you have to read the book.

Also, Resistance 2 has 60 people online, so 80 isn't that huge a step. Also, it would be FPS and multiplayer only. If there was a story mode, the story would be too good for mainstream gamers.

I suppose to envision what I envision, 2 armies of 40 people, duking it out with lasers in zero gravity, getting "flashed" (their suits freezing up when they take a shot to the chest) and cries of "The enemy gate is DOWN!" you have to read the book.

Also, Resistance 2 has 60 people online, so 80 isn't that huge a step. Also, it would be FPS and multiplayer only. If there was a story mode, the story would be too good for mainstream gamers.

Screw mainstream, I spit on mainstream! Mainstream rejected Psychonauts, mainstream rejected Beyond Good & Evil! But I didn't, I'm not mainstream and I want a freaking single-player campaign.

Screw mainstream, I spit on mainstream! Mainstream rejected Psychonauts, mainstream rejected Beyond Good & Evil! But I didn't, I'm not mainstream and I want a freaking single-player campaign.

What I'm saying is that most mainstream gamers are idiots, they would be all like "OMG ENDAR UR SUCH A GHEY NUUB!!!!!!11 LOLOLOLOLOL!!!!!1111ELEVEN" completely missing the point of the story.

Also, if the story mode were to be accurate, there would be no tutorials and no help prompts, since Ender went through Battle School with no one helping him. It was to make him the best commander they could make him. As such, the difficulty would really ramp up towards the end, at one point, Ender's army fighting two armies working together.

Another thing, halfway through the story, it would change form a FPS into a strategy game, since Ender leaves Battle School for Command School, learning how to command fleets. Once again, high difficulty would ensue, giving commands to generals, having no direct control on the battle, facing amazingly bad odds as your fleets are always outnumbered.

So a story where the odds are constantly weighed against you sound good?