✔ Skyward Sword

LCD games

CD-i games

Satellaview games

Freshly-Picked Tingle's Rosy Rupeeland

Link's Crossbow Training

Irozuki Tincle no Koi no Balloon Trip

Battle Quest

Four Swords was last year at my friends birthday party. he had the game someone brought another gba with cable, and I myself have 2 gba + 2 GC cables.

I dont count CDI games or any spinoff titles. I do have Link's Crossbow training.

reminds it's my friends birthday again in 2 weeks. Bought Hyrule Historia for him

90839.jpg

that's a sexy book.

i have zelda 1 and 2 on 3ds through the ambassador promo, and four swords through dsiware. i'm going to get around to playing them eventually. it's annoying that four swords adventures hasn't had a digital rerelease, though. i hate having to pay for an overpriced ebay copy.

Started playing the Steam version of Ys 1.

At the start, it starts off pretty rough. When you're level 1, the "bump" system for fighting enemies seems ridiculous, considering how many hits it takes to kill a single enemy (lots) vs how many hits you need to receive to die (like two). As it turns out, there are a lot of things that would make the start of the game MUCH easier if you only knew them ahead of time. Such as

1. If you accidentally use that 1000 gold to buy that useless ring instead of using it to buy a sword and shield, don't worry about it. There is a guy in the tavern who wants the ring and will give you 1500 for it, so you actually make a 500 gold profit, which actually gives you enough to buy the sword and shield without grinding for gold for an hour.

2. Just because you bought a new sword and shield, and when you press the menu button you see that your new sword and shield show up in your equipment slots does not mean that they are equipped. You have to move the cursor over them and press A so that the "equip" text displays over them. Otherwise you're just carrying them and not wearing them. I'm ashamed to admit that I didn't notice this until I went to upgrade some of my equipment to the second level. Oops.

3. If you're not an idiot and know all of that above stuff and get improvements to your ATK and DEF early on, then you can fight some of the stronger enemies earlier instead of just fighting those tree stump guys all the time. This lets you level up REALLY fast, and once you hit level 2, the combat system suddenly transforms from kind of annoying to great. My first thought upon reaching level 2 and plowing through enemies using the bump system was "Oh! It's like an RPG for impatient people!" Right up my alley, baby.

After that I pretty much spent the whole evening with it. At this rate I'm looking forward to Ys II, Ys Origin, and Ys: The Oath in Felgana. I may also even go back and play the Ys III, Ys IV, and Ys V on the SNES, since I've had those games forever and have never touched them.

Don't Starve is just brilliant. What an awesome game.

Frontiers HD, first game since The Last of Us which is worth being played, no Pikmin 3 yet.

The same Tower Defense mechanism as Kingdom Rush, except that the balancing pushes you towards In-App-Purchases (high priced for iOS) as it's harder than its predecessor. Something inside me rebels against such tactics. I don't have a problem with buying a reasonable DLC for a game but such an obvious pay to succeed is lame. I rather would train or ignore a game instead of supporting this.

Ron Gilbert's In-App-Purchase looks like a birthday party compared to this. The game costs about $6, that's fine but i don't want to purchase a pile of gems for $12 or a hero for up to $8 in order to get a more fluent experience on a casual level. I'm sure the game is doing fine and i grant them their success but this sucks, it's too greedy. I prefer having a complete and proper game for a fixed price.

I bought a $20 PSN card and got Scott Pilgrim vs The World and Rayman 2 Revolution. The latter is downloading but the former is fucking rad! I don't even care that Wallace is basically a reskin of Stephen Stills. He's so cool!

Realized I never finished Darksiders, so I restarted from the beginning and have been burning through the levels. I still really love how Zelda-like it is, but my one gripe with it is that I love how Zelda-like it is so much, that it's predilection for suddenly "trapping" the player in cage matches with monsters that just continue to spawn and spawn and spawn is starting to get rather tiresome. God of War does that sort of thing, but it's a more combat-focused game and it handles the combat better. Darksiders has more Zelda elements, and when it's me playing the game, I feel like the God of War is impeding on my Zelda (whereas other players surely feel the other way around).

But even focusing exclusively on the combat and comparing the Darksiders combat to God of War combat, for example: Both games give you attacks for fighting multiple enemies and for fighting individual enemies. However, God of War also uses fixed camera angles that (in most cases) guarantee a full view of the entire battle cage, so it's USUALLY difficult for an enemy to come flying in from off camera and tag you, whereas in the later levels of Darksiders it happens CONSTANTLY. Also, both games give you the ability to block and evade. However, GoW lets you evade and then immediately begin moving again in an almost completely fluid movement. Darksiders burdens you with a much longer freeze on your character after every dash. GoW assigns an entire button entirely to blocking and designs the controls so that blocks cancel all other actions. No matter what you are doing in GoW, hitting block will always cancel that action and allow you to protect yourself. In Darksiders, every button has 10 different functions, and the only way you can block is by pressing the right bumper WHILE TAKING NO OTHER ACTIONS. This means that if you are in the middle of an action already, the block will fail. This means if you are trying to block and accidentally tap any other button or even slightly bump the control stick, the block will fail. GoW makes blocking the EASIEST thing to do, so you can use it in premediated way (e.g., a planned counter attack) or reflexively (i.e., OHSHITOHSHITBLOCKBLOCKBLOCK). The blocking in Darksiders is easy enough to use in a premeditated sort of way, but the design makes it such a highly specific and volatile action that dexterous, reflexive blocks in the middle of a swarming monster pit are ultimately more trouble than they are worth.

Also, GoW doesn't really have a lock-on system and EXPECTS that you will, most of the time, be using wide sweeping attacks or---alternatively---normal attacks which you distribute across a wide area by spinning Kratos around with the control stick. Darksiders, on the other hand, has both a manual targeting system, but also a more subtle auto-targeting system (i.e. if you start hitting an enemy without manually locking on, and you keep tapping the attack button to keep the chain going, War's attacks will auto-direct to the enemy he's already hitting). Add to this the fact that War's attack chains are often times weirdly mixed. For example, one chain with the scythe does an area attack, another area attack, then the third and final attack targets one enemy directly in front of war and has a recovery time that leaves war dangerously exposed. This is weird for a weapon that is advertised as the "attack multiple enemies" weapon. You get two multi-attacks that don't knockback or knock down any enemies, and if you're not careful and don't stop the chain before the third swing, you'll leave yourself wiiiiide open for a hit by the enemies you're obviously surrounded by because HELLO that's why you're using the area attack weapon. Am I wrong?

Weirdly mixed combos, a targeting system that is nice in theory but mostly gets in the way since the game makes you fight swarms 99% of the time instead of individual targets, a camera that often works against you in combat, and blocking/parrying that is more trouble than it's worth.

I'm feeling like the combat could have been better. The game has a lot of moving parts, and it came from out of left field from an (at the time) unknown team, so the game still gets absolute props from me. It's not that I'm saying the combat is bad. It's just so close to being great that I'm somewhat disappointed that it doesn't quite get there. I guess I'm just hoping that some of this stuff is a little bit improved in Darksiders II.

The boss battles in Darksiders are all great, though. A++. Would boss battle again.

If I remember right, Darksiders II doesn't even have a block. It focuses entirely on dodges which it does pretty well. It also adds Diablo style loot, Prince of Persia style platforming, and an RPG skill tree. Unfortunately, it gets super repetitive and runs out of steam after the first couple areas. One objective requires you to go to three different dungeons which each require you to find or activate three different objects in them in order to progress in the story. It still has a handful of cool boss fights though. The last one is pretty lame, but other than that they're all pretty good.

Yeah, I'm finding my current dungeon in DS1 to be pretty lame. I liked all the dungeons that the four guardians were in, but now I'm in that dungeon where you have to redirect all the beams back to Azrael's chamber. Sooooo tedious. And then you get the one tool that lets you create portals.... specifically A BLUE PORTAL AND AN ORANGE PORTAL.

I mean, come on, guys. Like you're going to make that more interesting than the game you took it from? Sometimes the line between "homage" and "derivative" wears a liiiittle thin.

Been playing a lot of The Sims 3. I love it and all the improvements except for one.

So you finally get the tech to give your hit cartoony life simulator an open world to explore. Now what do you do? Fetch quests. Of course. Because that's why people play The Sims.

Dammit, I don't want to have to cheat tons of life fruit and pink diamonds into my inventory just to build a robot army. I hope Into the Future has none of these, because I'm actually really excited for that. Mostly because of the cool sci-fi robots that will assumedly not require you to go on long tedious fetch quests before you can build them.

I'm not completely sure, but Spelunky might actually be the best game I have played. It's 10/10. It's A+, it's 5/5 with sugar on top.

I like looking for stuff in Sims 3. Fishing in particular is a lot of fun. And finding seeds. I love finding a rare unknown seed.
'

That's all well and good, but I don't want to wait for days until a rare pink diamond randomly spawns each time I want to build a damn sentient robot. It's okay to require materials like that, but they have to be more readily available otherwise it's just boring. The Sims 2 Open for Business handled robots better by just letting you build Servos whenever, and just making them really expensive to build.

I'm fine with stumbling upon rare diamonds to add to my diamond collection of fine diamonds cut in a variety of ways but don't force to me to do it because then it just isn't fun because I'm doing the collecting so that I can do something else I want to do at the moment.

Finally beat Darksiders.

It was okay. Not great. Not really something I'd play again. But pretty okay.

Just finished Bastion.

Holy shit. That was amazing.

Everyone keeps having that reaction to Bastion. I hear it everywhere. "Holy **** that was amazing." Even a good friend of mine told me that as soon as he started playing it, he pretty much couldn't stop until he was completely done.

Maybe I'm just growing jaded with games, but it didn't have anywhere close to that effect on me. I like the narrator, and the game was good, but I honestly didn't even finish it.

It's a high quality indie game and all, and I wouldn't be perplexed if people were just like, "That game was great" or "Man, I really liked Bastion."

But I keep hearing people say things like, "BASTION. WAS. F***ING. AMAAAAAZING."

I genuinely do not understand that response. I've tried to find whatever it is about Bastion that causes that, because I want to feel it, too, but I just don't get it.

Just finished Bastion.

Everyone keeps having that reaction to Bastion. I hear it everywhere. "Holy **** that was amazing." Even a good friend of mine told me that as soon as he started playing it, he pretty much couldn't stop until he was completely done.

Maybe I'm just growing jaded with games, but it didn't have anywhere close to that effect on me. I like the narrator, and the game was good, but I honestly didn't even finish it.

It's a high quality indie game and all, and I wouldn't be perplexed if people were just like, "That game was great" or "Man, I really liked Bastion."

But I keep hearing people say things like, "BASTION. WAS. F***ING. AMAAAAAZING."

I genuinely do not understand that response. I've tried to find whatever it is about Bastion that causes that, because I want to feel it, too, but I just don't get it.

How far did you get? It's one of those games that gets a lot better later on.

Just finished Bastion.

Don't remember exactly. I restored 3 or 4 buildings and recovered a couple of NPC characters.

Just finished Bastion.

Don't remember exactly. I restored 3 or 4 buildings and recovered a couple of NPC characters.

Keep playing, things get a bit more interesting at the halfway point, which you're near.

Just finished Bastion.

Keep playing, things get a bit more interesting at the halfway point, which you're near.

Well that's good. I don't have any interest in going back just yet, but it's good to know that whenever I get back around to it there is ostensibly a better game waiting there for me. Noted.

Currently switching between Last of Us and Dark Souls.

I'm really loving the quality of Last of Us. It's a well-paced storyline with fun mechanics. And as a horror game it's refreshing to play a game that isn't one long "OHMYGODWHAT'STHATohyou'refineOHNOISTHATAMONSTERnoit'snotOHYESITIS" scene (I'm looking at you, Dead Space series).

And Dark Souls is...pretty damn amazing so far. And even with it's notorious difficulty, I'm finding it to be the perfect game to help me unwind. Move forward, die terribly, learn from your mistake, move in differently, succeed. I'm liking that a lot. And the world is freakin' gorgeous.

I loved Dead Space 1, but the other ones really suck. At horror anyway. The first one nailed it.

I played a little bit of The Last Of Us. It was okay, but I didn't find it scary at all, and it struck me as basically a mediocre stealth game (not to mention yet another zombie game) with a higher-than-normal emphasis on story.

I'll condone anyone who lauds The Last Of Us's storytelling efforts, but if you divorce the game from its story and just look at the gamey bits, I really don't think there was anything especially fresh or exciting going on there.

I'm not completely sure, but Spelunky might actually be the best game I have played. It's 10/10. It's A+, it's 5/5 with sugar on top.

I believe I'm in full agreement with this. I finally managed to beat King Yama the other night, and it felt so good. Now to conquer the worm and mothership levels, then after that, get to work on improving my ghostrunning skills.

I believe I'm in full agreement with this. I finally managed to beat King Yama the other night, and it felt so good. Now to conquer the worm and mothership levels, then after that, get to work on improving my ghostrunning skills.

If you wanna try another game with a similar spirit to Spelunky (though obviously not exactly the same), you can always check out Tobe's Vertical Adventure next time you're scanning the steam sale offerings. It's not a Spelunky clone or anything. It has its own thing going on. But it is SPIRITUALLY similar in its high-danger, treasure-hunting, tool-using, platforming shenanigans.

I'll condone anyone who lauds The Last Of Us's storytelling efforts, but if you divorce the game from its story and just look at the gamey bits, I really don't think there was anything especially fresh or exciting going on there.

You know, as a game itself I like it from more of a personal standpoint in that it's the only game where I was happy to get my stealth mojo back. For years I've been a grunt in games, going guns-blazing and stealth always...didn't work for me. This game got me to consider my habits and rework them, which I really liked.