Double Fine Action Forums

i played act 1 of kentucky route zero. i like its style and mystery but yeah it's pretty boring as a game. probably the slowest mine cart in the history of mine carts. i also didn't like how it turned into a text adventure at times. felt awkward.

i also played thomas was alone. i think it could have been a little more challenging. i never got stuck on any puzzle for very long. it could have gone the other way too and made the platforming harder. the couple of levels where you have to run from a spike wall or rising water were fun. the story was cute and does a good job of proving that if you give anything a name and a hint of personality it can be endearing. even rectangles. overall it's a very pleasant game as long as you're not hoping for it to blow your mind. not mind-blowingly amazing, but pleasant. pleasant is good.

Finished up Act 2 of Kentucky Route Zero now also. A really interesting and well told story, some fantastic scenes, and terrible as a game.

Crysis 2 was a bit of a disappointment in that they did change things and make it much simpler in general. But the game is still very good I think. I have to say that it plays really darn well. And it must be crazy well optimized because it ran great on my computer too.

I don't see that in any way in the first 1-2 hours. I think it's just crap. Crazy spawning enemies, linear levels, idiotic checkpoint system instead of manual saves. I'm starting to truly despise it. Everytime I start to get any feel of enjoyment from it, it throws some new idiotic CoD influenced stupidity in my face.

I haven't hated any game I played in years, but this is starting to get close now.

I didn't play the first Crysis, but I found Crysis 2 to have a lot of really cool ideas executed in the most pedestrian way possible. I tend to believe the fans who say the first one was better.

crysis 2 should have gone to another locale with wide open spaces. maybe a desert or a mountain range or something. the linearity of crysis 2 really killed half the fun. it's still an okay game though. as much as i enjoy quicksaves they really suck the challenge out of any game, so i'm not going to complain too much about games that don't have them.

How so? Didn't that potential for exploration appeal to you? I thought that was very cool and not something I could see working in anything but a game.

Well, because of the slow moving animations for the character, the way you often didn't actually where you could go and similiar stuff, I didn't really try it out. I pretty much just wanted the read the dialogues and get it over with. It just wasn't fun to play.

crysis 2 should have gone to another locale with wide open spaces. maybe a desert or a mountain range or something. the linearity of crysis 2 really killed half the fun. it's still an okay game though. as much as i enjoy quicksaves they really suck the challenge out of any game, so i'm not going to complain too much about games that don't have them.

Well, when you can die as quickly as you can in this, it really isn't that fun to replay large sections when they throw in additional enemies behind over over you, that kills you before you see them. Or when you get suddenly killed because they ask you to react quickly in what looked like a cutscene that just suddenly becomes interactive. I because of games like Spelunky, Don't Starve and Football Manager that I like challenges in good games, but Crysis 2 so far feels more annoying then challenging.

Nope, not for me that game.

I torrented both Saints Row Iv and Xcom declassified. I'm sceptical of both games moreso on Xcom. Soo i'll be trying them out. will probably get SRIV though.

I like Crysis 2 it's a very entertaining game. It's not a great game by any means but I think the mechanics are pretty fun and I enjoyed it a lot more than the first game.

Anyway, I've been playing a lot of Fallout: New Vegas lately and It's just now at 40 hours in that I'm starting the main quest. I tend to do that a lot in Bethesda style games. I also suddenly got the urge to play some multiplayer the other day so I started playing Battlefield 3. I haven't really played much multiplayer since BFBC2 even though I like the mp in Battlefield games very much. I'm also not doing terribly considering I'm playing with a controller on my PC. It has made me kind of excited for BF4 later this year. I might actually get it when it's kind of new instead of waiting a long time for it to drop in price.

I torrented both Saints Row Iv and Xcom declassified. I'm sceptical of both games moreso on Xcom. Soo i'll be trying them out. will probably get SRIV though.

PIRACY!!!!!!!!! REPORTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Firend of mine, who's a game developer forgave me. She said I already spend a lot on videogames.

Played Crysis 1, was an utter borefest. hqve yet to tackle Crysis 2.

Hqven't had time to play much lately. Like half an hour of Animal Crossing New Leaf, and got back into Halo Reach

Speaking of pirates, I need to try out Risen 2 some time.

And speaking of Saints Row IV, I don't know whether to spend my birthday money on that, a Steam Sale, or save it up with my brothers for a PS4. Probably gonna go for a PS4.

And speaking of games, I've been playing a bit of Dead Space. It isn't really scary so far, I actually find it kind of silly. Fun, though.

PIRACY!!!!!!!!! REPORTED!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Firend of mine, who's a game developer forgave me. She said I already spend a lot on videogames.

Played Crysis 1, was an utter borefest. hqve yet to tackle Crysis 2.

Hqven't had time to play much lately. Like half an hour of Animal Crossing New Leaf, and got back into Halo Reach

Are game developer friends the new black friends?

I kind of like the idea that Game Developers can assolve players of their game related sins.

Confessor: "Forgive me Ken for I have sinned."

Ken Levine: "What is it my son?"

Confessor: "I have hacked infinite ammo into my COD multiplayer."

Ken: "I see, and have you abstained from these unnatural urges since?"

Confessor: "Yes father."

Ken: "Very well, I forgive you. Now go and cheat no more!"

lulz. Oh Ken. It really is great that he is so divine and forgiving.

Our Xbox, who art in the living room

Halo, be our game

Thy console come, thy joystick be done

On Earth, as it is in Sims

Give us this day our daily COD

And forgive us for going on Singstar

As we forgive those who win against us

But deliver us from Playstation

For thine is the Fifa, the Guitar Hero AND the Grand Theft Auto.

Control+A.

Anyways, I finished System Shock 2 last night. There did seem to be some un-needed backtracking, vague direction and a odd mission towards the end of the game, but overall I had a good time playing through it. And actually it was pretty long too, or at least it was for me to finish it.

I tried out the Medal of Honor game that I got from the EA humble bundle and it wasn't too bad. One thing I REALLY liked was the cool mechanic of you being able to hold the left bumper button and then be able to lean left/right or crouch/stand up for some neat cover firing fun. Game was super short though. I beat it in 4 hours. I'm not sure I want to bother with any of the online stuff for it.

Now I have to figure out my plan of attack for my upcoming Halloween gameplay-scare-a-thon.

I've got to play-

Cry of Fear

Huntsman-The Orphange

Red Dead - Undead Nightmare

Dead Space 3

Possibly finish Pneumbra

Possibly play RE4 Wii

Ok, I change my mind. The Swapper is pretty brilliant.

what were your complaints? for a puzzle game i thought the swapper was top notch. great visuals too. my only complaint is that the story did not reach its full potential.

Swapper looks like a pretty interesting game and I've heard some good things about it.

Mega Man 9 was the new game with like a retro look right? So it was good then?

I think I am giving up on a few of the Wii games I purchased the other day. Conduit is downright poopy so far. Red Steel 2 is at least visually pretty nice for a Wii game, but it just seems.. awkward to control. I dunno. Battalion Wars 2 actually plays like it's a pretty good game, but I may just return it and the other Wii games and buy FEAR and Condemned while they are still on sale.

Ok, I change my mind. The Swapper is pretty brilliant.

what were your complaints? for a puzzle game i thought the swapper was top notch. great visuals too. my only complaint is that the story did not reach its full potential.

I don't know really, but I often get this feeling that if I during a playthrough feel that once I'm done with a game, I don't want to play it again, then it's not worth it. I'm not even done with the game, got maybe half the orbs, but man, when I reached the

greenhouse

area, that alone was worth the price and the time spent.

That spoiler marked bit isn't a spoiler really, so if you see it, the game isn't ruined. I'm just being very careful. :)

Mega Man 9 was the new game with like a retro look right? So it was good then?
It's pretty good. My one complaint is the lack of the slide move from Mega Man 3 and onward. I get that most people say Mega Man 2 was the best one, so they designed it around what you could do in that game. But I think they could have done cool new things with the level designs if they had used the slide too.

The Bureau

i don't know why reviews have shit all over this game so much. it's a solid 7. it's like the definition of seven. a good game that tries to be great and just doesn't quite get there. the story was interesting but it never quite became truly engaging. the gameplay was fun but the ai screwed up too often. (run away from grenades, not towards them!!!!) the ending was more than i expected but it just doesn't feel completely fleshed out. doing all the sidequests i got nearly 20 hours out of it, but maybe 1 hour of that was amazing and 19 hours were just good. 7.

also you have to play on the hardest difficulty to get any sort of challenge.

reminds me of resistance 3 and killzone 2. two good games that had a couple amazing moments but in the end just didn't quite come together into something greater.

Trying out Metroid: Prime on the gamecucumber. My very first first-person metroid!

The platforming isn't super great, but it NEVER is in a FPS. Transitioning the combat to first person rather than 2D fundamentally alters the feel of metroids classic combat. Also, I'm not sure I entirely understand why they didn't use the traditional FPS control scheme if they were making it a more FPS game. You get used to the way they set up the controls, but it feels pretty janky at first. I'm not sure I see a good reason why they did it that way.

All of that aside, though, I'm really impressed so far how well they've managed to translate metroid's exploration and puzzle solving into 3D FPS.

Even if you don't think it translates well as a Metroid game, you at least have to admit that it demonstrates a lot of cool things that the FPS "genre" is capable of but never really explores. In much the same way that Half-Life came along and was like, "Look, you guys. You don't just have to do the same old sh*t over and over again. Maybe try this or this." Metroid:Prime is making me feel like shooters can actually be cool and unique and inventive and interesting!

Too bad none of them are going to do it, though.

Trying out Metroid: Prime on the gamecucumber. My very first first-person metroid!

The platforming isn't super great, but it NEVER is in a FPS. Transitioning the combat to first person rather than 2D fundamentally alters the feel of metroids classic combat. Also, I'm not sure I entirely understand why they didn't use the traditional FPS control scheme if they were making it a more FPS game. You get used to the way they set up the controls, but it feels pretty janky at first. I'm not sure I see a good reason why they did it that way.

All of that aside, though, I'm really impressed so far how well they've managed to translate metroid's exploration and puzzle solving into 3D FPS.

Even if you don't think it translates well as a Metroid game, you at least have to admit that it demonstrates a lot of cool things that the FPS "genre" is capable of but never really explores. In much the same way that Half-Life came along and was like, "Look, you guys. You don't just have to do the same old sh*t over and over again. Maybe try this or this." Metroid:Prime is making me feel like shooters can actually be cool and unique and inventive and interesting!

Metroid Prime kicks fucking ass. One of the first games I got for the Gamecube.

The Bureau

i don't know why reviews have shit all over this game so much. it's a solid 7. it's like the definition of seven. a good game that tries to be great and just doesn't quite get there. the story was interesting but it never quite became truly engaging. the gameplay was fun but the ai screwed up too often. (run away from grenades, not towards them!!!!) the ending was more than i expected but it just doesn't feel completely fleshed out. doing all the sidequests i got nearly 20 hours out of it, but maybe 1 hour of that was amazing and 19 hours were just good. 7.

reminds me of resistance 3 and killzone 2. two good games that had a couple amazing moments but in the end just didn't quite come together into something greater.

Well, aren't reviews saying that's it either a 7, or just to similiar to other 7 rated games to earn a 7?

For me, it seems like the game I would buy if I had absolutely nothing else to play. That it's 20h long actually sounds to long, if it's just a 7/10 game. I don't have time for that with all the truly great games waiting for attention. :)

If you can track down a copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy on the Wii, the controls work a lot better. That being said, it's not really a problem until Metroid Prime 2 which has a lot more problems than just controls.

The Bureau looks like it could be a pretty solid game. I miss seeing those cool/strong B-tier games. Those can end up being really great. I'll check it out down the road.

I ended up trading in the Wii games I got from that Gamestop Deal the other day and picked up some more 360 games instead. I started Armored Core 4. It seems like a totally different kind of game from the previous Armored core stuff I played on the PS1. It's much faster paced and missions are rather short in length. So far, I can't say that I'm digging it.

Metroid Prime is indeed an awesome game. It definitely shows that first person adventure games are possible and can be great. I wasn't as crazy about the second one, the third was pretty cool tho with the Wii actions. If anyone is looking for a copy of Metroid Prime Trilogy for the Wii, hit me up. I'm going to sell my disc only copy.

The Bureau

Well, aren't reviews saying that's it either a 7, or just to similiar to other 7 rated games to earn a 7?

For me, it seems like the game I would buy if I had absolutely nothing else to play. That it's 20h long actually sounds to long, if it's just a 7/10 game. I don't have time for that with all the truly great games waiting for attention. :)

playing a lower quality game every once in a while can help you appreciate all the things that great games do right. ;-P

Playing Saints Row IV. Mmkay bye!

Any good?

I didn't quite like Saint's Row The Third, so I'm still a bit sceptical, even though everyone keep saying that this game is awesome. :)