Double Fine Action Forums

Well you'll excuse my hyperbole. But as far as open world action games go. This maybe my favorite. Just moving around the world itself is a blast. Activities are encouraged with an excellent mission and reward system. It's just fun. It's one of the most fun games I've played in a long time. Perhaps since Just Cause 2. And before that the amazing Saints Row 2. Actually SR4 is more deeply rooted in the history and lore of the franchise (especially SR2) than The Third was. And if you're a fan of the series (as I am) all the little references, callbacks and old faces is like Christmas.

the superpowers add a lot. makes it feel less like gta with wacky randomness and more like its own thing. also the saints feel more legitimately cool and heroic and less like sell-outs now.

Yeah... that was weird...

Last night I jumped onto a UFO mid-flight and jacked it. No special context, you can just land on an aircraft and press the button to jack it as you would with a car. This kind of blew my mind. Like even in the amazing Just Cause 2 you didn't have that kind of control over your movement to just land and stand atop a moving aircraft and steal it without pressing a button that made you stick, assuming you could catch it at all, which is all context based rather than exploiting the actual game's physics.

The Swapper is to difficult for me after about 40 orbs. :(

don't look up solutions! just quit the game for a day and then come back to it after your brain has had time to subconsciously process stuff. i did that and i was hammering out the last puzzles in 10 minutes each.

I beat Singularity the onther day on the 360. I was pleasantly surprised as to how much I liked the game. It was like a blend of Bioshock, Half-Life and Metro games. It features some really neat mechanics and a interesting storyline. Audio tapes and hints are hidden throughout the levels and it encouraged me to look around the environment and explore a bit. There were some cool easter eggs and such to find too if you really dug around. If anyone is a fan of the the Bioshock Half-Life style of gameplay I would say Singularity would be right up your alley too.

Umm, I started playing Psychonauts again. Haven't really played any games that engaged me much lately, so I figured I'd continue with my Linux playthrough. There's just so many things that are cool about it. I'm at the brain tumbler experiment, and one thing I reflected upon this time is that it's pretty cool how you start the level, figure out there's something stopping you from proceeding, and then you have to play another level first before coming back. And this happens not only once, but twice, since you have to earn both marksmanship and levitation. It's not such a huge deal perhaps, but it's something I didn't expect and it creates sort of a non-linearity that I don't remember experiencing in the same way in other comparable games.

And then there's the huge amount of detail in the camp ground area. I've 100%-ed the game before, so I figure I've been pretty much everywhere picking up cards and scavenger hunt items, but I still stumble upon things that I either didn't see before or forgot all about because there's so much to explore. Like the tunnel between the lake area and the geodesic psychoisolation chamber. I can't remember going through there before, but it's not hard to miss, so I guess I must have. Oh, and all that stuff in the trees above the GPC, that I overlooked for the longest time on my first playthrough. I'm pretty damn impressed by all the planning that must have gone into creating that hub area of Psychonauts.

I also started playing Bastion for the first time. It was pretty cool, but it was pretty awkward using the touchpad on my laptop. I'll have to try it again with a mouse. I hope it's not super hard, because I'm not very good at these kinds of games.

Nice. I was planning another Psychonauts playthrough this summer as well. But I never got around to it :(. I did re-read the Friendster profiles created for the campers and it is so darn cool to see the backstory and relationships between all the campers. I wish we got to see the other kids more in other levels and got interact with them there. Are you planning to re-play the whole game? Do you have a favorite level you are looking forward to re-playing?

Bastion certainly looks like a pretty game. I've never had a chance to try it. Is it like an RPG strategy type thing?

@dangeROSS: I don't have any concrete plans, but Psychonauts is the only game I have permanently installed on both OSes on both of my computers to be able to pick it up anytime I feel like playing it. I'll probably at least pick up levitation now to have more fun dicking around the camp. It's hard to pick a definitive favourite, but the Milkman Conspiracy and Waterloo World are definitely two of my favorites. Lungfishopolis is also great.

Bookdust's description of Bastion is a good one. I haven't played much, so what I've seen so far is mostly a relatively simple ARPG. I've heard about the crazy amount of customisations though. Supposedly every weapon you pick up are well suited throughout the game depending on personal preference. You upgrade them to handle tougher enemies or something. You can also manipulate certain things to raise the difficulty level to your own liking for more experience points.

Been replaying Saints Row 2 and 3 because I do not have Saints Row IV because I am saving my $50 for later.

So far, Saints Row 2 on Hardcore is a test of how much I really love it. It's still a great game, with great writing both dramatically and comically, but the missions range from really awesome fun to "that one mission in every GTA game that everybody hates" levels of frustration and brokenness. Mostly it's the ones where you have to drive and shoot. Driving in the PC version is hard enough, with awkward turning and random fps drops at all the worst times, as well as the controls sometimes just flat-out not responding at first until you press the key again.

Add in shooting, and it's like skiing down an incredibly steep mountain trying to avoid a ton of trees while simultaneously looking backwards and rapidly throwing snowballs at heavily armored people on snow mobiles with one weak point, while randomly going blind for a second and your legs sometimes not moving when you try to move them.

yeah, i find with games that have a lot of little activities to do you really have to just do what interests you instead of trying to ace all of them. otherwise it becomes as grindy and boring as a jrpg.

With games like GTA and Saints Row, I usually do all the missions and activities, but I hate how every game like GTA and Saints row always include hidden collectibles. I'm okay with collecting doo-dads in games where it's functional, practical, and relatively simple to do so, but it never is in sandbox games.

I ended up getting all the collectibles in SR3, because you get that unlock that shows you where all of them are on the radar, but most games like that never show you, and they're always hidden in places that you would NEVER EVER EVER go, so the only way you can collect them all is if you have absolutely no other sh!t to do in your life than bore yourself to tears collecting doo-dads for days and days and days, checking every little alcove in every square inch of the game's miles and miles and miles of geometry.

And what do you get for your trouble?

A 10-point achievement.

To hell with that crap.

i remember playing infamous 2 and it showed you collectables on your minimap. i actually surprised myself by collecting everything. it turned was could have been a mindless search into a fun traversal challenge. get between various points as efficiently as you can. so i'm a big fan of games that point you in the direction of collectables, or at the very least tell you how many collectables you missed in a particular level/area.

So I just beat SR2 again. The best part of that playthrough was the final mission. I was low on health, gunning down Masako, wearing nothing but Purple pants, a Purple Asian Motorcycle helmet out of Kill Bill, and my torn white Britain T-Shirt. I jumped inside the helicopter, and now as I was minutes away from the ending, The Final Countdown started playing.

Those are always the best bits in Open World games, when the radio happens to be playing a song that is incredibly awesome and fitting.

I think Saints Row does that on purpose. I mean, most of the game the songs are on shuffle (unless you set up your own playlist), but there are specific missions that call specific songs. They did the same thing in SR3 with Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out For A Hero".

Which was an awesome choice by the way. Reminded me of the ending of Short Circuit 2, haha.

Assassins Creed 1 is evil when it comes to collectibles. Evil I tell you!

They all are, but AC1 was the worst offender.

By the way, I consider collecting "lookout points" to be just as dumb. Out of the Assassins Creeds I've played, that is one of the things I look back on with the most hatred. At first it's no big deal, but after a certain point it's like aaaaaarrrrghhhhh *pencil in the eye* SO SICK OF LOOKOUT POINTS.

It is pretty nice when the developers are able to use a musical track that totally nails things in a game.

The ending of Saints Row 3 with the Need a Hero music was GREAT. I had completely forgotten they used that in the Short Circuit movie too. It is used wonderfully there. Nostalgia overload.

I think Saints Row does that on purpose. I mean, most of the game the songs are on shuffle (unless you set up your own playlist), but there are specific missions that call specific songs. They did the same thing in SR3 with Bonnie Tyler's "Holding Out For A Hero".

Which was an awesome choice by the way. Reminded me of the ending of Short Circuit 2, haha.

I actually can't think of any instance where Saints Row 2 does that. On my first playthrough of the mission where you're driving Johnny Gat to the hospital, the radio started playing amazingly fitting classical music, but it played something else on this playthrough.

They never really started playing specific songs for specific missions until Saints Row The Third, and I have to agree that it made the final mission of SR3 so much more awesome with that song.

Tried to get back into Far Cry 3, but I mostly get annoyed by the game. When I bought the game I really enjoyed driving around, exploring things, taking over camps and stuff like that, but now that the novelty has worn off, it feels like a pretty stupid game.

Tried to get back into Far Cry 3, but I mostly get annoyed by the game. When I bought the game I really enjoyed driving around, exploring things, taking over camps and stuff like that, but now that the novelty has worn off, it feels like a pretty stupid game.

Yes! Other people who dislike Far Cry! Join my army!

Right now the army is me and you.

Yes! Other people who dislike Far Cry! Join my army!

Right now the army is me and you.

I'm with you!

Seriously, developers, if you want to write origin stories where the characters go on massive killing streaks within hours of the game, give them a background that fits. When you let college kids master skilled mercenaries from a start, you have moved into Uwe Boll territory when it comes to convincing stories.

I haven't played the game, but you can count a colleague of mine as well. According to him the game felt like it was mostly about sewing purses and stuff, when all he wanted to do was get down to some serious action.

I'm playing Deux Ex: Human Revolution - The Missing Link instead.

Much better.

I would like to see more bite sized pieces of bigger games like this, that you can buy separetely from the main game. I do have Deus Ex: HR and have beaten it, but still, if they made parts like this from Bioshock: Infinite and and other big action games, I would try them out.

I started playing Critter Chronicles this weekend. I got it in the winter sale on Steam, but didn't start playing it until now. The first game was one of the better modern point and click adventure games I've played and the best German one. The sequel hasn't disappointed so far, even if it's not quite as good as the first one. One of the main reasons I got the game was to support developers who release on Linux, and the game runs very smoothly despite an annoying bug that has persisted since I played the first game during the Steam for Linux beta. Opening the game settings with the Steam overlay active causes the game to crash. I started the game in hard mode and was tempted to activate hotspot highlighting when things got a bit hard, but that bug was enough to put me straight. I'm not sure if I think pixel hunting is something that adds to a game's difficulty in a good way though.

I actually started playing God Mode recently somewhat because of curiosity from the lackluster reviews it got and also because I generally really enjoy horde modes in games so I thought 'I' might like it regardless. Turns out, that's true, it's a pretty fun little romp through each of it's five levels earning XP/gold for unlocks each time. It did have some crashing issues I had to sort out (noted in several threads on the steam forums), but this fix seemed to fix my crashing issues.

I can see why it didn't blow any reviews out of the water, but I can say, it's generally a good deal of fun for some mindless action (usually what I'm up for right before bed). The animations are fairly well done, and the random events (enemies are minature, enemies wear hats, friendly fire on, etc.) keep it pretty lively. The combat does a decent job of giving enemies avoidable tells rewarding skilled play. It's more than I expected, and I can see myself playing it now and again.

As for my 'I'm awake' gaming, trying to get myself to work through the Assassin's Creed series finally. Put an hour or so into the first one so far.