Double Fine Action Forums

Yeah rather dashing reminded me of something. The fact that whats his face was so adamant about heavy rain "changing the way games are thought of" or what 1st year art students say makes the whole experience so much more funny. You can't even take it seriously the second time. The whole time you're just thinking "THIS was going to change gaming forever?"

It's Call of Duty. Of course the dog is going to die. Probably while you're controlling it.

Currently playing: Alpha Prime. Don't join me. Its combat is ludicrously frustrating.

I'm playing Populous:The Beginning. I keep forgetting it isn't SimCity:Medieval edition and spend far too much time building an awesome village with houses all in neat rows and training zero warriors/Preachers until The opposition has invaded my town and burned down half the buildings. ¬_¬

i'm playing luigi's mansion 2. i don't like it quite as much. it feels more gamey and less atmospheric. it's divided up into levels that you scored on, a lot of the encounters feel very set up, the controls feel a little awkward to me (x to look up and b to look down). it's fun but it just doesn't quite have the magic

Let's see... Lately... quite a lot, actually!

Saints Row IV I've finished for now

Splinter Cell: Blacklist is on the go and I'm generally enjoying. Looking forward to co-op.

Stealth Inc. Wish it was still called Stealth Bastard, but it's great on the Vita

Persona 4 Golden - still chipping away at it, I don't feel I need to finish it urgently because I played P4.

Various other things.

And of course all the various test version of my own game currently in the works.

the controls feel a little awkward to me

Welcome to the 3DS. They have tons of games that control horribly.

i don't think we can blame it all on the hardware. some games still play very well despite the controls, just try super mario 3d land.

I'm a bit baffled that the 3DS didn't come with a right analog stick to start with, as it probably would have done the trick for the games with clunky controls, particularly the games that have a camera to control.

It's like they didn't hear all the people that had complained that not having a right analog stick hurt the PSP.

Fallout: New Vegas

I just went through Vault 11.

Wow, just wow. Now that's a well written "dungeon".

And it was still one I missed the last time I played the game, and I still played it for 50+ hours then.

Considering starting up on Amnesia: The Dark Descent again. I'm kind of in a horror mood. Also interested in recommendations for horror games I should try. Not so much more recent ones, I know about Outlast and Machine for Pigs. I'm curious about titles I may have missed.

There is, of course, the Penumbra series.

Going to play Saint's Row 4 again to pay more attention to the references and nuances while playing NHL14(no lectures on the evils of EA. I know! But 2K dropped NHL).

Considering starting up on Amnesia: The Dark Descent again. I'm kind of in a horror mood. Also interested in recommendations for horror games I should try. Not so much more recent ones, I know about Outlast and Machine for Pigs. I'm curious about titles I may have missed.
SCP: Containment Breach. It's still in development, so it's a bit rough around the edges. It does a good job of bringing the poop right into your pants though. I'd also recommend downloading a PS1 emulator and "acquiring" Silent Hill for it.

Started playing FEZ (thanks, CorruptBiggins). I have two things to say so far:

1) This is really cool and interesting, but....

2) I believe there IS such a thing as too many god damn doors. That is way too many f****ing doors. It's making my eye twitch.

Nothing to be ashamed of. FTL is a hard game (also by old skool def), especially the end level, and you need a good strategy plus sometimes some luck. On the other side beating the game feels great but it can take some time.

Hmm, i'm wondering in which game i've invested the most of my time so far. I certainly played a lot of Tetris but, dunno, hard to say.

I'm a bit baffled that the 3DS didn't come with a right analog stick to start with, as it probably would have done the trick for the games with clunky controls, particularly the games that have a camera to control.

It's like they didn't hear all the people that had complained that not having a right analog stick hurt the PSP.

I;m playing SMT IV and it uses the L/R triggers and the up/down/left/right as camera, left circle for movement. It works better than expected. Actually, it's very fluid. A button for exploration, X to attack, Y for gauntlet (your minicomputer that handles your demons, saving, and side quests) and B to back out.

It's a turn-based RPG, so it doesn't need more than one attack button, so I guess thats why it works so well.

The game I've invested the most time in(ever) has to be SMB3. I just might have to dig that bad boy out.

On one specific system or cumulated?

Cumulated. It was the greatest game in existence to me for a good 5 years.

I guess i stay with Tetris as a cumulated experience, just played tons of versions. For a single title i just don't know but i guess it would be some puzzle, strategy or roleplaying game then, maybe a simulation as well. It might be easier nailing this depending on the platforms.

Speaking of roleplaying games, i just watched a number of Dragon Age Inquisition media. I'm still very much looking forward to the game. The new look lacks some gore but it still looks great in certain moments. A few things sounded a bit weird but overall it seems like they're moving forward whilst fixing a few old issues too (strategic view should zoom out some more). I like the more action oriented feeling. It looks cool and it actually reminds me of Ultima IX a lot more than what Garriott is working on currently. I don't like the idea walking around on this scaled down map. It's obvious why he's taking this approach but from a gamer's perspective, coming from Ultima IX, it feels kind of outdated.

I'm curious about the Inquisition thing. It could be interesting to delegate stuff, experience the consequences story and gameplay wise, plus that you're already mighty enough so that you don't have to kill some fucking rats anymore. On the other side i enjoy weaker low level characters and playing with only one character or at least a tiny group instead of having to micromanage a gang. I feels better when the computer takes control of everyone else, more like a pen & paper rpg. It can limit the decisions/options in one playthrough but it also can be easier to manage multiple playthroughs, ..., pros and cons like everywhere. Kind of miss Hawk. I wonder on which hardware i'll be playing it.

It's Talk Like a Pirate Day, so of course I'm playing a game about pirates.

Sid Meier's Pirates! (on sale now, €2.5)

sid_meier_pirates-21.jpg

Still a brilliant brilliant game.

It doesn't support very high resolutions, so you should (need) to add a row to the config file so it runs in windowed mode.

The sims like art style on the characters isn't the best.

And some minigames might feel date.

But still! So much! So many neat design ideas everywhere. I especially would like to see more games using this games concept of making it possible to continue when you fail, but at a cost.

Harvester

Shadow of the Comet

Prisoner of Ice

Alone in the Dark

Alone in the Dark 2

Alone in the Dark 3

Dino Crisis

Dino Crisis 2

LSD

Heart of Darkness

HellNight

Mizzurna Falls

Koudelka

Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth

Cold Fear

Corpse Party

Corpse Party: Book of Shadows

Dark Seed

Dark Seed 2

D

D2

Echo Night

Echo Night: Beyond

Calling

Siren

Siren 2

Siren: Blood Curse

Twilight Syndrome

Clock Tower SNES

Clock Tower PS1

Clock Tower 2

Phantasmagoria

Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers

Phantasmagoria 2

Parasite Eve

Parasite Eve 2

The Third Birthday

I think I've covered a few at least.

Past couple of weeks I've been playing

Borderlands 1 (xbox)

Harvest Moon (PS1)

Shadow Hearts II (PS2)

Enslaved (Xbox)

I was tempted to start a thread about Enslaved. So many things about it are right. The concept is right. The art and music are right. The characters in themselves are great, but evolution of their relationship is so weirdly executed that it kind of falls on its face. I don't know if it was just the writers or the gameplay choking the writing, but their relationship feels forced and at times hard to swallow. The first time they glance at each other affectionately---breaking the ongoing pattern of a strictly-business relationship---there isn't any apparent reason for it. Nothing happens that would cause them to reevaluate their relationship. It's weird. The first time Monkey looks at Trip affectionately and gives her that little twitterpated smirk, I was genuinely confused. Why? They've learned nothing new about each other. They've done each other no favors. They appear to have nothing in common. Monkey is pissed at Trip most of the time. Trip vacillates between being afraid of Monkey and feeling guilty about the headband. If anything it would make more sense for Trip to be the first to initiate a change/upgrade to their relationship, but Monkey? I don't know. The story of their relationship had potential but came out weird.

In gameplay terms:

1) Camera. Oh my god. It's the worst. Last night I had a robot pushed up against a wall and was just repeatedly hitting it with my staff. I was intentionally not touching the camera stick. The robot was standing in one spot and not moving. I was standing in one spot and not moving. And yet every time my staff connected with the robot, the camera snapped distractingly to a new angle. Your #1 enemy in this entire game is the camera.

2) I want to scream every time Trip says she is going to do a scan. I don't want or need a scan. Especially in situations where I already know what to do. Here I am standing next to this trailer I have to push off this edge to make a bridge for Trip. It's the obvious solution. Here I am trying to do it. Got it all figured out. We're good to go. But I'm not getting a button prompt? "Hold on. I'll do a scan. Maybe you should try pushing that trailer down here." Oh, NOW I get the button prompt. GREAT STRATEGY, TRIP. THANKS FOR THE SCAN. I COULDN'T HAVE DONE IT WITHOUT YOU.

3) The cloud. A hover board that Monkey suddenly and conveniently remembers he's been carrying on his belt this whole time. He never used it or bothered to mention it before because, wouldn't you know it, it only works in certain places that have special energy fields that react to the hover board's core power matrix, generating a.... *facepalm* Actually you know what would have seemed less stupid? If he just got super lucky and found a hover board on the ground when he got there. Maybe it was broken and Trip fixed it. She's pretty tech savvy, right? They're a team, right? Look, I don't claim to be the god of video game writing or anything, but COOOME ON.

4) The interactions with Trip are a good thought (yet another Ico-influenced game), but unlike Ico it's very forced. You never decide that you want to help Trip cross a gap or climb a ledge because you WANT to. No, you only ever do it when the devs arbitrarily put a "buddy action" icon on a ledge and Trip specifically tells you to help her climb it. You can pick her up and carry her whenever you want, but it slows you down and prevents you from climbing, so you never do. At one point when you are climbing over a crumbling bridge, she gets scared, stands still, and yells for you to please come back and carry her (wtf???), and if you don't go back and carry her, your head explodes and you die. See, you don't interact with Trip because you actually want to. No, you interact with her because the game commands you to be friends with her at moments of its choosing and threatens to kill you if you don't fall in line. Follow the script or die.

5) Mindlessly following orders is a repeating pattern through the whole game. Nothing you do is a free choice. The game tells you exactly what to do every step of the way. Even if you've already played the game and know what you are supposed to do next, the game will sometimes PREVENT you from doing it until you have received the command to do it first. Even when you're climbing, there are almost never alternate paths. You just press the stick in the direction of the next glowing foothold and press A for a while. You don't even really have to pay that much attention. I once climbed a whole building while looking away from the screen to read something. On second thought, the title of the game IS "Enslaved", so is being trapped on this rail supposed to be some kind of meta thing?

I'm having a hard time getting through it. There is so much here I want to like. Great concept. I know they were trying to pull an Ico thing. I know they worked really very hard on it, including artists and composers and the like who have nothing to do with the things I'm even annoyed about.

It's not that the game is BAD. Because it's not. In fact it is so NOT bad that if a fly landed on it, it would fall right over into a pit of awesome. Watching it teeter on that edge is almost more frustrating than if the game just plain sucked. At least then I wouldn't care about it.

Half of the time when I'm at my desktop PC, I'm playing Skyrim.

The other half of the time, I'm watching mod reviews and adding mods to Skyrim.

Here is my character. Her name is Marian:

2npfFLg.png

mHLevn7.png

Incidentally, I think there must be something with that face and hair color. I played as a very similar looking woman when I played Mass Effect:

ih6xm.png

zelax.png

Here is a list of the mods I'm running in Skyrim:

A Quality World Map With Roads

All In One Face

Amazing Follower Tweaks

aMidianBorn Glass Armor - Variants

AOF Detailed Mountains

Auto Unequip Ammo

Auto Unequip Shield

Better Dynamic Snow

Black Sacrament Armor (wearing in screenshot)

Book Covers Skyrim

Climates Of Tamriel

Cloaks of Skyrim

Convenient Horses

Deadly Spell Impacts

Dimonized UNP Female Body (SFW version)

Dragonbone Weapons (includes Champion Dragon Armor retexture)

Enhanced Lights and FX

Enhanced Mighty Dragons (Slightly, Unleveled)

Ethereal Elven Overhaul

Even Better Quest Objectives

EzE's Colored Map Markers

Falskaar

Footprints

Glowing Ore Veins

Guard Dialogue Overhaul

House Of Horrors Alternate Ending

Immersive Armor

Immersive HUD

Improved NPC Clothing

Interesting NPCs

Lanterns Of Skyrim

Left Hand Rings

Less Intrusive HUD II

Main Font Replacement - Fertigo

Mavari Armor

More Craftables

Nightingale Prime HD - Leather

Player Headtracking

Player Home Map Markers

Realistic Transparent Glass Armors and Weapons

Realistic Water Two

Skyrim Community Uncapper

Skyrim HD 2K Textures - Lite

Skyrim Immersive Creatures

Skyrim Script Extender

SkyUI

Static Mesh Improvement Mod

Superior Lore-Friendly Hair

The Eyes Of Beauty

Unofficial Dawnguard Patch

Unofficial Dragonborn Patch

Unofficial Hearthfire Patch

Unofficial Skyrim Patch

Various Guard Outfits for Every City TS Edition

Wearable Lanterns

GTAV

Despite the framerate issues, and despite that too many of the locations in the city feels like backdrops where you dissapointingly can't interact with anything, it's still a pretty great game. :)

I think Crysis 3 is gonna take the title "Dumbest game I've played" from Far Cry 3.

Yikes, that's dumb! That must be really really dumb.