Double Fine Action Forums

The Angry Video Game Nerd Adventures

Yeesh! This game is kicking my ass so hard! :x

But I think its a great game. (I like my platformers old-school and hard and in many ways for a platform-hell style game its actually quite forgiving once you figure it all out)

I'm ONLY playing it on Old-School difficulty. Because I already know Easy and Normal will be too easy and won't push my abilities enough.

No I'm going to beat this game in one go even if it kills me.

I've cleared most of the stages now in one hit. Figured out where all the secret characters are. All I need to do now is hone my skills a bit more so I can clear a few stages without continuing and I should hopefully get to that last stage!

(but shit there are two difficulties ontop of this one. So even if I DO beat it I'm only really doing it on a medium setting. And there is NO WAY I could ever do the whole game in one life. thats just insane! X'O)

EDIT: Also I've played Tales of Graces f some more.

I STILL, STILL haven't done all the side quests I can and actually moved forward in the plot. There are just SO MANY!

I know I have to replay the game to get everything, but I still want to get as much done as I can in the first playthrough.

I'm looking forward to checking out that future arc too. :D

It's Talk Like a Pirate Day, so of course I'm playing a game about pirates.

Sid Meier's Pirates! (on sale now, €2.5)

Still a brilliant brilliant game.

It doesn't support very high resolutions, so you should (need) to add a row to the config file so it runs in windowed mode.

The sims like art style on the characters isn't the best.

And some minigames might feel date.

But still! So much! So many neat design ideas everywhere. I especially would like to see more games using this games concept of making it possible to continue when you fail, but at a cost.

Loved that game! I almost picked it up again on Steam just so I wouldn't have to put my CD in the drive whenever I felt like playing it, but I convinced myself that was a silly way to spend $2.50. :P

I ended up picking up Jolly Rover though for Talk Like a Pirate Day, looking forward to some Monkey Island point n' click spin-off fun.

Let's see, I've still been playing Warframe a bit (love the movement in that game, wall running for life!), been working my through GTA V, and Rayman Legends. That's been keeping me pretty busy, I usually fit in the daily challenges of Rayman and any special alerts in Warframe each night, and then complete a story mission or two in GTA V.

I've been starting to get a little frustrated with the limitations of the PS3 and the graphical fidelity, as well as being forced to perform precision sniping with a controller in GTA V though, so I may end up simply selling off the PS3 disc and waiting for the PC version. What can I say, I've been a PC gamer for years now, and it's hard to go back to 8 year old hardware. *shrug* I guess I just prefer to play games in 1080p and with DX11 particle physics these days.

As for Skyrim, I think I've spent 20 hours modding that game and only maybe an hour or two of actually playing it. Let's just say my Skyrim game is modded out to the teeth with quality mods should I ever actually find/take the time to play it.

Loved that game! I almost picked it up again on Steam just so I wouldn't have to put my CD in the drive whenever I felt like playing it, but I convinced myself that was a silly way to spend $2.50. :P

Wait, what, wut. what, why? You didn't buy it, for $2.5?

Adventure Bar Story Lite on my Tablet, because I haven't spent a penny on actual apps and I refuse to do so unless I can first verify a game is really, REALLY good.

It's a bit like a 2D version of Atelier Rorona, only instead of alchemy it's food. And it's about 6 times faster. And more charming. And entirely finishable without paying a penny, unlike some OTHER free Tablet RPGs (hello games like Unlucky Story that just stop after about an hour with a 'hope you enjoyed the demo' that you gave no prior indication that this was, grr grr).

What's with puzzle platformers drastically (and unexpectedly, I think with more easing in wouldn't feel as out of place) changing tone of the game somewhere in the middle? For example Limbo - awesome eerie atmospheric platformer, but when you get to the city it really changes tone of the puzzles presented from 'OMFG this place is creepy' to "Incredible Machines, let's see what this does".

And now I'm playing Deadlight, and it was pretty cool traversing the ruins of the city, preserving ammo, finding interesting ways to avoid zombies... and then I get to a sewer which is filled with contraptions and specific challenges that a mad man has built and uses them to test me out... uhm... what? O_o Not sure where it will go from there.

Finished Bioshock Infinite last night. Reeeaaaally great story and level design, but dang I am really sore about the combat. It just wasn't fun to me. Maybe I'm just too used to Source FPS games. Also does anyone else feel like there were way too many vigors? I thought by the time you got the 5th or 6th vigor that was it, then suddenly towards the end there were 2 more

Right now I'm playing FEZ. Not really sure what to think of it yet, but it's kept me curiously occupied for a while now. I super dig the aesthetic of the game, really nice colors and textures everywhere

Right now I'm playing FEZ. Not really sure what to think of it yet, but it's kept me curiously occupied for a while now. I super dig the aesthetic of the game, really nice colors and textures everywhere

Keep at it. I was sceptical at first, but when I really understood it, then it became one the finest indie games I've played.

I prefer Tomb Raider - Survivor. But that's just me.

Playing Spider-Man: Shattered Dimensions on the DS, following on from Web of Shadows, which I really enjoyed. SD is more interesting in that you play as three different characters, each with different abilities - or lack thereof, since Noir Spidey can't clamber on walls and 2099 Spidey doesn't even start with webs! it does get easier/better as it goes along and they gain those abilities though, so yeah. It's a good game.

For example Limbo - awesome eerie atmospheric platformer, but when you get to the city it really changes tone of the puzzles presented from 'OMFG this place is creepy' to "Incredible Machines, let's see what this does".

Oh how I missed that forest before long...

Finished Bioshock Infinite last night. Reeeaaaally great story and level design, but dang I am really sore about the combat. It just wasn't fun to me. Maybe I'm just too used to Source FPS games.

I had fun with the sky-hook, but honestly I was putting it on easy mode halfway through just to blaze through the shooting a bit quicker.

Made me miss Cohen and his sploicers.

Tomb Raider - Reckoning

Yeah that's what I call the newest game & reboot of the series. And I played it a bit because I want to see how it ends at some point. Doing so I realised what I liked about the game (collectibles, close & personal athmosphere) and what I hated about it: scripted events, QTE nonsense and those clown cars dumping out waves and waves of enemies on you. Sure they are hiding them as well as possible but it's the old Doom 3 trick: enemies only spawn when you move and only behind your back. Just now I hid in a shack and had one spawn behind me from a wall. Good old Doom 3 fun.

Really once the enemies are gone the fun begins until the next wave of them is scripted to appear.

Oh I almost forgot. The actual tombs are jokes and really disappointing for a game called Tomb Raider...

Everything I hear about the game makes it sound like a terrible game.

It's not, but it DOES feel more like an Uncharted game rather than a classic Tomb Raider title.

I presume the sequel will find a healthier balance.

but it DOES feel more like an Uncharted game rather than a classic Tomb Raider title.

Which is odd because I thought Uncharted felt like Tombraider with a penis when I first played it.

I did enjoy the new game and I felt it was pretty brutal. Tomb Raider: Die Hard.

It's not, but it DOES feel more like an Uncharted game rather than a classic Tomb Raider title.

I presume the sequel will find a healthier balance.

But ff the action is repetitive and doesn't really match the story, the spawn points are silly, and the tombs are dissapointing, what's good about the game then?

But if the action is repetitive and doesn't really match the story, the spawn points are silly, and the tombs are dissapointing, what's good about the game then?

The design of the island & the atmosphere. Oh and it has horrible tacked on multiplayer with multiplayer achievements I might never get because no one cares for the multiplayer in this game.

I hate when AAA does this. Same thing happened with Bioshock 2. Multiplayer in Bioshock? Really?

Some games need multiplayer like Star Wars needed a Christmas Special. MISTAKE.

I was trying to get GTA Online to work for most of the day, but when I got tired of that, I switched to Mega Man 9. Beat all the robot masters. Wiley's Castle is a bitch though.

I'm playing Dragon Age: Origins now.

Couldn't decide between DA:O, Baldur's Gate, and Final Fantasy 3 (6). Well, DA:O was already installed and already modded, So I figure I should beat it so I can clear up the 20GB of space sooner.

So far, Skyrim has better combat and many MANY more mods but DA:O has better story and more interesting NPCs.

btw, when I get around to playing Final Fantasy 6, it will be for SNES not GBA because the music and the dialogue font is better.

Okay, I know you mean Jurassic Park, but I can't work out what the acronym means (beyond "Jurassic Dildo" and QTE)

edit: maybe Jurassic Dildo: The Movie: The QuickTime Event Experience?

I just started playing Beyond Good & Evil and it's pretty fucking awesome. I love that there's so much different stuff to do everywhere. The fighting is also very smooth. It's easy to master and even though it's so simple, pulling off some combos make you feel really bad ass. The writing is also really cool. I just went wild smashing a bunch of foes in some mines, and after clearing a path I turn around to look at the aftermath, the camera pans over and it triggers the following quip from Pey'j: "You think we might have overdid it?" or at least something to that effect. The timing of it just felt so perfect.

I'm only an hour or so into it yet, but it feels like something really special already. Like it's got a certain something that might well make this game end up in my top five favorite games of all time.

I just started playing Beyond Good & Evil and it's pretty fucking awesome. I love that there's so much different stuff to do everywhere. The fighting is also very smooth. It's easy to master and even though it's so simple, pulling off some combos make you feel really bad ass. The writing is also really cool. I just went wild smashing a bunch of foes in some mines, and after clearing a path I turn around to look at the aftermath, the camera pans over and it triggers the following quip from Pey'j: "You think we might have overdid it?" or at least something to that effect. The timing of it just felt so perfect.

I'm only an hour or so into it yet, but it feels like something really special already. Like it's got a certain something that might well make this game end up in my top five favorite games of all time.

I compare this game to Psychonauts in charm and awesomeness. The difference is that one's getting a sequel.

Welcome to the BG&E club, sir. *clinks glass*

That game is a classic. Its character and charm start out strong, and it only gets better from there. The mines is a pretty good level, but bear in mind that it's a "test" mission. Just wait for your first REAL mission. That's where sh!t gets real. ;-)

Also? Despite the wide variance in VO work (ranging anywhere between awful and amazing), the soundtrack for that game is one of the best on the PS2. And so much variety in musical styles! Christopher Heral really nailed it.

And so much variety in musical styles! Christopher Heral really nailed it.

Christophe Heral is a wonderful composer. I love his work for the Rayman series as well what he had composed for BG&E.

Here's one of my favorite BG&E tracks. It plays in the Akuda Bar:

To anyone that has not completed BG&E before, I recommend not looking up the soundtrack on Youtube. Some of the song titles are spoilery.

I love the Akuda Bar music! But I love almost all of the music from that game, so naturally I would.

The game's main theme really steals the show, though. Every time I exited the lighthouse or a REALLY long mission, and I steered my hovercraft out onto the waters of Hillys to find the sun was just beginning to set and was blazing its colors across the sky and over the surface of Hillys's infinite ocean, and saw the freedom of that world opening up to me and beckoning me in all directions, and then THIS music started to play right at the moment I felt the tension from the mission start to relax and leave my body....

...still one of my most cherished gaming experiences.

I compare this game to Psychonauts in charm and awesomeness. The difference is that one's getting a sequel.

Someday...

...still one of my most cherished gaming experiences.

Beyond Good and Evil let me take pictures of marine life. In Space.

What more do people want?

I got GTA Online working the other day, and it's a hell of a lot of fun. My character got deleted and then I had trouble connecting to anyone today though. I'm not so much bummed about losing my shit as I am that I'll have to play the tutorial again. They should not have started the game with a mandatory tutorial. That's what the single player is for. Or rather, they can have a tutorial, but not lock you out of playing with your friends until you finish it. I mean, the whole reason for an online mode is to dick around with your friends. They shouldn't put these dumb barriers between you doing that. I think I'll wait to play more until the patch goes out tomorrow.

btw, when I get around to playing Final Fantasy 6, it will be for SNES not GBA because the music and the dialogue font is better.
Apparently there is a Final Fantasy VI Advance Restored rom hack that fixes the font, color and music of FF6 for GBA. So maybe I will play that instead.

... After I beat DA:O and then decide if I want to play FF6, Baldur's Gate or Mass Effect 3.

If I beat ME3, I have no reason to use Origin ever again.

Okay, so the new patch for GTA worked wonders. All my PSN friends who couldn't get it to work before, managed to get on now. I even had an underwater fist fight with one of them. It was a pretty fun session.

Also, randomly got a % off coupon for Volgarr the Viking and am debating whether to buy it or not now.

Same thing here! o_0

I DO like me some old-school hard platformer.

(I still aim to beat AVGN Adventures on Old-school mode. I got to the final level last time and I burned through 3 continues. Three. Yes. That level is THAT hard o_0)