Double Fine Action Forums

I think once I finally figured out how to beat that giant Minotaur boss on the bridge, something in me just clicked. I understood the game all of a sudden, and from there I was no longer forcing myself to play it, but I was genuinely hooked.

Yes. :)

God dammit, I was making so much progress on my mediocre AGS adventure game before Persona 3 FES started sucking up all my time again.

I'm around 28 hours in, and I'm starting to realize I was being a bit too critical of the characters in this. I thought Persona 4's cast was much more likable, but I'm realizing that it took basically this long for me to start liking them, too.

Anyway now I have a robot shadow hunter lady with machine gun arms and a super dog that can retrieve items that bring party members back from the dead, so everything's going swell aside from my daily attempts to finish maxing out my charm by eating fuck tons of Ramen.

FF6.

Currently playing Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow on the GBA. Well, [del]on my tablet through a GBA emulator[/del] TOTALLY ON A GBA. Fun game, even if not being able to do a slide-kick is kind of weird.

I wish I had the money, back in the GBA days. I only played the first Castlevania, Symphony of the Night and the DS ones.

Currently playing throug hWind Waker HD. the new pictobox works brilliant. but item that requires aiming now uses the fucking accelerometer of the WiiU gamepad. I also cant wait for the tower of the gods. Easy dungeon, plus I get the bow

*several years too late Twilight Princess impressions*

Going pretty awesome. I had mixed feelings through most of the first three dungeons because I didn't like all of the forced wolf tangents the game imprisons you in. Don't get me wrong, I think the wolf is a cool little feature, but for a while there it was like every time you turn around, oops you're a wolf again, and you're gonna keep being a wolf for another hour or two, so just deal with it. I JUST WANT TO BE LINK DAMMIT. So I'm glad the wolf became at-will, because lil wolfie is cool, but the mandatory/lengthy wolf segments were starting to make my eyes roll. Now that it's optional, it's awesome.

Little surprised at the technical hiccups. Nintendo usually build their games pretty tight, but the camera in TP sometimes goes plum apeshit. There are times where you're, say, standing on moving platform and waiting for it to line up with a stationary platform so you can hop over, but you can't change the camera to a sensible horizontal angle to get a good look at the platform, because the camera auto-shifts to a high/downward vertical angle to show you the floor far below, which is not at all what you're interested in right now, but tough sh*t. It would be one thing if you could manually move the camera and then it would bounce back to the auto-angle, but nope. Sometimes with this camera you're just SOL. Make due. (And no camera OPTIONS?! Nintendo, COME ON. I'm pretty sure you have the money to include some camera options. You're killin' me here.) All that being said, the camera in the Gamecube version is about ten million times better than the Wii version, so whenever one of those rare but glaring camera-f*ck moments occurs, I just remember the Wii version and feel better.

But that's nipicky stuff. I actually only have two serious gripes with Twilight Princess. The first is hiccups in the targeting/lock-on function. The lock-on is super important. Zelda practically INVENTED the lock-on with Ocarina of Time. It's been a while since I played OoT, but I remember the lock-on system being pretty rock solid. (Fully admit that could be nostalgia bias talking.) Why does EVERYTHING break your lock on in this game?

Did an enemy just hit you? Breaks your lock-on.

Did you just accidentally touch an enemy? Breaks your lock-on.

Did you back into a narrow space? Breaks your lock on (and makes the camera go apeshit).

Did you circle really close to an enemy? Breaks your lock on.

Did an enemy just leap/dash at you really fast and end up really close to you? Breaks your lock on.

Did you just perform a jump attack? Breaks your lock on.

Did the targeted enemy just get knocked off their feet? Breaks your lock on.

COME OOOOOOON. You're killin' me.

And as a direct extension of the targeting being kinda wonky, the horseback archery feels pretty worthless. Enemies move around too quickly and manual aim moves too slowly (thanks, lack of camera options) for manual aiming from horseback, and trying to use lock-on either

A] Doesn't work at all, resulting in no enemies getting locked as they continue to knock your non-targeting ass off your horse, or

B] If you DO get a lock, the game doesn't correct your aim for movement, so 99% of shots fired at moving enemies from a moving horse miss. You're better off to just get off your horse and fight them, but if Epona is at full sprint, it takes her a minute to screech to a halt and let you off your horse, and to get off the horse you have to first put your weapons away, and then dismount, and then get your weapons back out.

Sigh. Oh dear.

BUT ALL OF THAT BEING SAID.

This is pretty great. A lot of awesome throwbacks to good old OoT. I had a really hard time getting into Windwaker (mostly because I hated the boring sailing part of it), but Twilight Princess is tickling my Zelda fancy. It's been a long time since I had a good dose of Zelda and it feels really damn good. A few technical nitpicks, but in terms of character and design and world and all the things that truly count, I'm glad to finally play a proper Zelda game without any hinderances (e.g. boring sailing, wiimotes, etc). Aaaaaah.

To be honest, I HATED DARK SOULS for a very long time. I never played Demon Souls, so it was my first foray into that franchise. I did not understand it. It didn't appear to be following the rules. It didn't want to court me the way modern games so often court their players. It seemed to actively hate me. It was torturous. I forced myself to keep playing it, but I wasn't sure I was actually enjoying it.

I think once I finally figured out how to beat that giant Minotaur boss on the bridge, something in me just clicked. I understood the game all of a sudden, and from there I was no longer forcing myself to play it, but I was genuinely hooked.

I've had sort of a love-hate relationship with it. There's a lot I found to like, but I griped along the way too. For example, illusory walls can get bent.

I think the reason I stuck with Dark Souls was because I went the wrong the way for the first hour or so. The Undead Burg was a cakewalk compared to trying to run through the Tomb of Giants right off the bat.

To be honest, I HATED DARK SOULS for a very long time. I never played Demon Souls, so it was my first foray into that franchise. I did not understand it. It didn't appear to be following the rules. It didn't want to court me the way modern games so often court their players. It seemed to actively hate me. It was torturous. I forced myself to keep playing it, but I wasn't sure I was actually enjoying it.

I've had sort of a love-hate relationship with it. There's a lot I found to like, but I griped along the way too. For example, illusory walls can get bent.

I think the reason I stuck with Dark Souls was because I went the wrong the way for the first hour or so. The Undead Burg was a cakewalk compared to trying to run through the Tomb of Giants right off the bat.

Haha, yeah, I tried to go for the tomb of giants first, too. Well, specifically I tried to go TOWARD the tomb of giants, but even those skeletons in the graveyard are a handful when you're first starting out. As soon as I saw the first giant skeleton stand up, I said NOPE and started trying to press my way through the undead burg. After I leveled up a little, I went back and tried to press through the graveyard again. I made it to the entrance of the tomb of giants, but then one of those siren/banshee things screamed and exploded on me, knocking me on my ass. So I said NOPE and went back to undead burg.

Which reminds me of one of my favorite Dark Souls animated gifs:

hBE2763B5

Haha, yeah, I tried to go for the tomb of giants first, too. Well, specifically I tried to go TOWARD the tomb of giants, but even those skeletons in the graveyard are a handful when you're first starting out. As soon as I saw the first giant skeleton stand up, I said NOPE and started trying to press my way through the undead burg. After I leveled up a little, I went back and tried to press through the graveyard again. I made it to the entrance of the tomb of giants, but then one of those siren/banshee things screamed and exploded on me, knocking me on my ass. So I said NOPE and went back to undead burg.

Which reminds me of one of my favorite Dark Souls animated gifs:

ku-medium.gif

The gifs speaks true. I didn't get much further than the entrance first attempt.

I had rolled and sprinted around the bigger skeletons and was rewarded with a bunch of unkillable ones wailing on me in the dark.

I only returned once I had my pyromancies on roids.

Candy box 2...

...This is going to be one of those things that looks odd but is painfully addictive isn't it?

Candy box 2...

...This is going to be one of those things that looks odd but is painfully addictive isn't it?

Yes...

Possibly the best Browser based game I've ever played and it is all about candy...

The original Candy Box was a huge time sink but this has so much more content I can see this eating a lot more time...

After DA:O, should I play Final Fantasy VI or Baldur's Gate next?

If this is still up in the air...

I say neither and instead play Baldur's Gate II. It's much better than the first one with a fantastic story and some really nice strategic combat... and you get much more fun stuff to play with. And epic levels if you go into the expansion.

Also... I'm playing Lego Marvel whatsitsidon'tknow. So far, it seems like Spider-Man is worming his spidery way into every adventure.

Even with the modded version, I felt it wasn't as good. Never made it through the entire game because the story just wasn't as engaging as the second one.

And I kinda modded the second one as well. Not much, but there's a few mods that I felt really improved the gameplay. Like extended spellcasting for bards, rangers, and paladins, to allow them access to higher level spells, but way down the line (so if they reach the level cap, they'd only have one or two ninth level spells, for instance) and the storyline that allows for a romance with Edwin... and a few others that I can't quite remember at the moment. I might have made bags of holding able to hold more things or something like that. I also used a few balancers to balance out the combat a bit more and get rid of certain cheap exploits.

But yeah, I definitely suggest the tutorial first. All of it. And be aware that the beginning of Baldur's Gate is rough. I think I started that game three or four times before I could get a character that could survive a wolf attack.

How is Lego Marvel Thingamy? I've only played the demo but it seemed like a lot of fun, despite it being like the hundredth Lego game.

It's the first Lego game I've ever played, so I don't know how it measures up... but once I got used to the controls (which are a bit wonky, btw) it went pretty well. Also, they sucked me in by having the first mission in the game be a Iron Man/Hulk science bros mission... so, yeah. After that I was hooked. I really enjoy how the game takes advantage of having a large number of playable characters at it's disposal so even after you beat a level, you can go back with different characters and try to uncover different puzzle solutions or collectables, which is kinda neat. Haven't done it yet, but I can see that after I finish the game, I might just try to go through the whole thing with Iron Man and Hulk and see how far I can get.

How is Lego Marvel Thingamy? I've only played the demo but it seemed like a lot of fun, despite it being like the hundredth Lego game.

It's good. I am finding the first play-through a bit of a grind because you're given 2-4 set characters per level and for the most part, they haven't been my favourite so far(I'm talking to you, Cyclops and Jean Grey). The story is decent and the humour is there, as always. It will be awesome once I unlock most of the characters and free-play the game again. There is a ton of replayability out of it akin to the other games as they have yet to break down and make most collectables obtainable on a single play(good for them).

The Hulk is great...but I REALLY wish the Banner switch was a different button. I keep doing it by accident when I mean to switch characters and then I'm stuck in an animation. That's my only criticism so far(the character one I mentioned was expected, I was just complaining because I know who else is in the game). It's a fun game with a lot of variety, even the characters with cloned powers have different animations.

I only had two major complaints, which I fancy will be ironed out with a patch sooner or later. First, if you accidentally go into split screen mode, there is no way to go back to the regular mode when you're using a keyboard. Second, there are some parts of the game where you can get yourself stuck in an endless dying loop if you die in just the wrong spot. Like, when I was going through with Hawkeye and Black Widow, I somehow managed to get caught in this loop where Hawkeye kept on getting electrocuted and I couldn't move him out of the spot, couldn't switch characters, couldn't do anything except have him repeatedly die because the rewind didn't go back far enough to get him out of the danger zone.

Cool. I noticed the Hulk transform button issue in the demo, so you're not the only one to pick up on that. Glad it all seems fun though.

So my next question is... could you consider this a sort-of follow-up to The Avengers movie? Because I know Coulson is in it and I noticed that Banner looks kinda like Mark Ruffalo, and there was that thing with Stark Tower and he "only just had that rebuilt!"...

It feels more like a sequel to the Ultimate Alliance games to me(most of the characters' interactions are familiar and not first encounters). That could just be because of Doom though. There are references to the Avengers movie, so the answer is yes. It's the same universe and it takes place after.

ku-medium.gif

Hahahaha! That's a good one!

A few weeks ago I was trying to find another one I had seen where the character runs up to an average enemy and hits it one time with their sword and then immediately starts rolling away as the text flashes OH SH|T OH SH|T OH SH|T.

Love that one, but can't find it to save my life.

Hahahaha! That's a good one!

A few weeks ago I was trying to find another one I had seen where the character runs up to an average enemy and hits it one time with their sword and then immediately starts rolling away as the text flashes OH SH|T OH SH|T OH SH|T.

Love that one, but can't find it to save my life.

Afraid I don't have that one either. Plenty emphasizing general failure though.

1376377947252.gif

Good times...

My favorite part of that gif is that the Taurus Demon appears to have like 1hp left and owns him, hahaha.

Well, so far my opinion of DA:O is that the story and character interaction is head and shoulders better than Skyrim's but the combat really just sucks.

Being given a choice between classes should equate to being able to have fun pwning enemies in different ways. It shouldn't mean the difference between having a party that can complete the game and a party that has a snowball's chance in Hell of them all living through being ambushed by a room full of minor enemies. Oh, and melee attacks shouldn't connect when I'm running away from the enemy. Sometimes it seems like being an archer is near pointless as melee enemies can still hit me though I can run halfway across the room in the time it takes them to do power attacks.

I've played various different RPGs. Most of them seem to have old-school grinding wherein if you find you're not strong enough, it's just a matter of finding a decent respawn and camping there until you're higher level. Not so with this game, as enemies don't respawn like that. And in any case...from what I understand, the longer you take, the more the darkspawn will be able to ravage the land.

Also, I was not expecting an RTS. I don't want to be required to fiddle with AI tactic settings--especially when I'm not sure what settings are best for the win. If I'm to micromanage my party, better to do it a la Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest and make party actions pseudo-turn-based, rather than pausing and unpausing. Plus, if a character is frozen or afraid, there's no way to get him to quaff potions quickly before he dies.

Oh yeah, and the enemy also gangs up on Alistair. I did read people saying that he's the party tank at this point, but really it just means he dies a lot because enemies won't leave him alone.

Well, you're going to love Baldur's Gate then... xD

Baldur's Gate basically does the pausing/unpausing style of combat, however it has an option in the settings where the game will automatically pause every time an action is completed, so you can basically turn it into a turn-based strategy game. Which is absolutely essential when you're doing ridiculously broken things like Improved Alacrity (casting time for spells reduced to zero) and Time Stop (just what it says on the tin). If you ever play BGII, using that combo with Edwin (best caster in the game) basically allows you to empty his entire spellbook at once on a helpless opponent. And he has a hell of a lot of spells.

header_292x136.jpg

I think the Director's Cut serves as a pretty good excuse to replay Human Revolution, and I'm curious about the boss fight improvements, as they really dragged down the game in the original version.

I have played both games at least 20 times and I always used my BG1 character in BG2. I just couldn't imagine doing it any other way.
Would you then pick BGT over Tutu? (assuming, for the sake of proper comparison, the non-existence of EE)
Well, you're going to love Baldur's Gate then... xD
It's just... hard. My arrows sometimes miss while mage spells always connect and I can't always run away from long melee attack animations despite it appearing like I should. Also, my tank (that is Alistair) can't really take much of a beating so far and I've nowhere to go to just sit and grind for hours... or else if I can then that supposedly would make the world overflow with darkspawn by the time I got through with the main quest.

And I did install the Level 50 cap mod because 24 or w/e it is just sounds low compared to level numbers I'm used to seeing in other games.

Are the cutscenes still looking that bad compared to the game? That's the first thing I'd fix in a director's cut. Also does the DC have it's own achievements?

I haven't noticed any graphical changes, so the animations outside if the pre-rendered cutscenes/dialogue boss encounters are still a bit... off. Never really bothered me too much, though.

It has its own set of achievements (the DC is a separate game in the Steam library and doesn't overwrite the original if you already own it), but I don't think any of them are new to the DC. The Missing Link DLC has been integrated into the game, placed into the part of the story where it belongs, which I think is neat. I've heard it melds in well. The commentary track is pretty informative, too.

Also, I only had to pay $5 for it since I already had the base game and the Missing Link DLC, which I think is reasonable for redone boss fights, a commentary track, and a making-of video.

You know what's weird.... I honestly can't remember if I ever finished Human Revolution or not. I remember playing it for a long time, and I got really far in it, but I also thought it was kind of a meh game. It's possible that I finished it and just didn't care? Or maybe I DIDN'T finish it and didn't care...?

Either way, I can't remember. Tempted to put it in and find out, but nah. Bed time.

Weren't you one of the people in the damsel in distress discussion that was on that Femnazi's side and here you are telling me that a no damsel story is less engaging than a damsel one. ;)

I guess because there is one game in the universe that has no damsel in distress that I like less than a damsel in distress game, all of my arguments are invalid. The reason I liked Baldur's Gate II more was because there was more than one plot. Yeah, you've gotta save Imoen, but on the way there are a lot of things to do that are also interesting and plot relevant. And rescuing her isn't really the point of the plot. It's a thing you've got to do, but beating the bad guy at the end is the real deal. And, of course, once Imoen is added back to your party, she's a total badass. Between her and Edwin, they could probably level an entire city in about thirty seconds.

As for caster, I prefer Edwin because he's a summoner, incredibly powerful, snarky, and has the most hilarious of the sidequests. The only other caster that I keep around is Imoen (as mentioned above). I find that between the two of them, I can satisfy all my casting needs. It does take a bit of balancing to keep Edwin in the party, of course, so I had to do some evil things every once and awhile to appease him, but since my main ended up Neutral Evil anyways, I guess it worked out.

Also, for Chyron: I used BG TuTu, and it worked great. Gives you the advanced classes, allows you to pause when you go into your inventory (this was actually the entire reason I got it), allows greater stacking for items, and a lot of other fixes. You'll have to install a separate bit of code as an addon if you use it, because it makes all the water green for some reason (or at least mine did), but the Water Degreenifier should take care of that.

Also yes: The hits for arrows and swords are determined by dicerolls while mage spells always hit in these games.
From what I hear, that was a major complaint many people had with Morrowind.

In any case, what class would you recommend for a first playthrough of BG and BG2?

I think BG2:EE is coming out quite soon, so I might play BG:EE for the extra content and better widescreen.

But I think first I'm gonna play FF6 if only to break up the western/D&D games with a classic JRPG.