Double Fine Action Forums

Downloaded the Beta of Papers, Please and...lost about half an hour.

So, uh...may end up buying the full game and playing that for a bit.

If you use BG TuTu, Bard isn't too bad if you choose the Blade archetype. And in BG II, my bard became the most powerful member of the party, just in the number of situations he could be useful in. The ability to instantly drop your AC by -10 (which is a good thing, btw), is incredibly useful for tanking, even if you can't move (and even that you can fix midway through the game when you get the Ring of Freedom... or earlier if you have a cleric cast Freedom on you), and the ability to get in extra attacks makes the bard up there with the fighter in combat effectiveness. Add to that the spellcasting, and you're set. People call the Bard Blade a poor man's Fighter/Wizard, but really, I think not having multiclassing penalties and being able to cast spells and wear armor at the same time really makes up for it all.

This is, after all, the class that could pretty much solo the most difficult boss character in BG II. (Kangaxx the Lich/Demilich for those curious)

I've been playing Arkham Origins. It's pretty good so far, but one thing really stands out: The game does not want you using the concussion grenades it gives you. At all.

I'm playing the third big mission of the game, but right after the second you get a sidequest to defuse some bombs. It's pretty easy, and gets you a free upgrade(blast range) to the grenades even if you don't have them yet, which I didn't at the time. The bombs have one other upgrade(stun duration), which you can get with a single level's worth of upgrade points. Once you have both, armed enemies are much, much easier than the game is trying to make them out to be.

Early in the mission, you're supposed to tightrope-walk over a large group of armed and unarmed enemies, with Batman specifically commenting that there's too many to fight. It took me a few tries, but constantly quickfiring the stun grenades got me through it.

The stranger example was farther in the same mission. The specific objective it gave me was to escape a group of armed thugs, but I did the same grenade trick and knocked them all out instead... leading me to an invisible wall where they spawned from. After a cutscene that brought me to the complete opposite end of the map, once I reached it again it stopped being a wall and let me through.

Hopefully the game's difficulty will start to balance out to make up for the overpowered grenades, but other than that it's still really fun.

Finally been playing Batman: Arkham Asylum through Steam Family Sharing. And I don't like it that much. Been playing it for 1.5h, and it's to linear so far, and it annoys me that Batman tells me everything I need to do out loud.

Finally been playing Batman: Arkham Asylum through Steam Family Sharing. And I don't like it that much. Been playing it for 1.5h, and it's to linear so far, and it annoys me that Batman tells me everything I need to do out loud.

What's wrong with the game being linear?

Re: Arkham Asylum

Honestly, I thought Arkham Asylum was a way better game than Arkham City.

I totally concede that Arkham City was very cool and the sandbox approach to the world that allowed you to really stalk around a city was VERY thematically Batman. It was such an obvious thing to do, it's almost surprising that it wasn't the fist thing they tried.

But in terms of world/level design and enjoyability over time, AA was way way better.

I basically look at this way:

Batman: Arkham Aslum = Batman: Arkham Zelda

Batman: Arkham City = Batman: Arkham Assassin's Creed.

And I've not kept it a secret that I ****ing hate Assassin's Creed. I really think that aside from being gorgeous, those games are absolutely terrible, albeit an incredibly expensive AAA kind of terrible, like a gilded turd.

Arkham City was 10,000 times better than any Assassin's Creed, don't get me wrong, but it was exactly the things it had in common with Assassin's Creed that made me enjoy it significantly less.

Being similar to Zelda is a much better thing to be. And my reasons for thinking so go beyond mere taste.

I also enjoyed Arkham Asylum far more than Arkham City, mainly because I actually felt more like Batman in Arkham Asylum -- Batman is powerful, but the shear amount of gadgets that were thrown at me in Arkham City made me less feel like I was being resourceful and more like I was throwing a bunch of crap at my opponents. (With the exception of the Mr. Freeze fight. That was well done.)

Also, I'd say that Arkham Asylum was far closer to Metroid than any of the Zelda games. The Assassins Creed comparison is pretty accurate, though.

Currently playing Ace Attorney: Duel Destinies. Athena is cool and I like playing as her much more than I liked playing as Apollo.

I also enjoyed Arkham Asylum far more than Arkham City, mainly because I actually felt more like Batman in Arkham Asylum -- Batman is powerful, but the shear amount of gadgets that were thrown at me in Arkham City made me less feel like I was being resourceful and more like I was throwing a bunch of crap at my opponents. (With the exception of the Mr. Freeze fight. That was well done.)

Also, I'd say that Arkham Asylum was far closer to Metroid than any of the Zelda games. The Assassins Creed comparison is pretty accurate, though.

Metroid is a pretty good comparison, too.

I think the most significant thing about the Metroid-style design I like over the sandbox-style/system-oriented design is that I find the latter is exceedingly wasteful and more difficult to appreciate (aside from any technical achievement).

Games like GTA, Asssassin's Creed, and even Saints Row (which I ****ing love) essentially have a saturation problem. The size of the world is dramatically beefed up, and the mission styles are such that you're always sort of skimming over the surface of this living, breathing, incredibly expensive labyrinth of detail and systems, but never intimately experiencing it in any way. These artists and programmers and voice actors put so much effort into crafting this incredibly complex and detailed mechanical work of art, and in the end it is nothing more than an ocean for the player to obliviously and hastily sail over on their way to a stupid destination, like the collection of some pointless doo-dad in a quest to collect 50 such doo-dads. Thousands of square feet of great art and craftsmanship completely disregarded as their mind hones in on that sparkling collectible floating in the distance. When sailing over an ocean, one square inch of water is just as ignorable as the next. How sad and wasteful for great craftsmanship to be reduced to that.

But a game like Zelda or Metroid or Castlevania? You not only pass through an environment, but you must interact with it. You must study it. You must know it intimately to the point that when you discover a key or a new tool or ability, your brain ignites with an explosion of memories of situations you encountered that could have used just such a thing but which at the time you didn't possess. Or maybe---especially in the case of Zelda---the environment obviously calls for you to use a specific tool or skill, but the way to use the tool to achieve your goal is a brain teaser of a problem, again forcing you to really examine and appreciate the contours of the environment. Metroid, Castlevania, and Zelda also litter their worlds with secrets to the point that a secret could very well be anywhere.... IF YOU'RE LOOKING FOR THEM. So you're always studying the environment. The goal is to find those secrets, to collect those collectibles, to find the rare and powerful objects, to find that awesome secret that "levels you up" in an awesome way. But, even as you are pursuing your secret-hunting goal, you are also incidentally absorbing so much of those worlds without even necessarily meaning to.

It's not that it's impossible to do a large sandbox style world where the intimacy-with-environment is scaled up to match. Rockstar did a very awesome game called Bully that took some very interesting steps in that direction. Even the Sly Cooper games, which share a certain constant rooftop traversal with Assassin's Creed, involve more environmental intimacy than Assassin's Creed.

When I put down a game like Zelda or Metroid or Beyond Good & Evil, it's like putting down a book that I liked. I got familiar with it and reflect on it and remember it and already miss being in it a little. So, too, with Arkham Asylum.

Whenever I finish a sandbox game like Assassin's Creed, it feels a little like putting down a book I skimmed through to get to the end. So, too, with Arkham City, or any sandbox city.

So I ended up finally getting around to watching Indie Game: The Movie and that made me dust off the copy of Fez I've had in my application folder for a few months and start to fiddle with it.

Despite knowing what a massive douche Phil Fish appears to be, I'm actually enjoying the mechanics of this game and...well, it IS fun. I even want a Gomez plush.

But I think my biggest problem with it is...well...I can't tell you much of the story. The universe exploded, get blocks and that...fixes it. Basically, I feel like I enjoy it for superficial reasons. On one hand, I think that's what Fish was going for, but on the other hand...I'm not liking that I like it for those reasons.

...aside from that Papers, Please is still sucking my time. Surprisingly addictive and engaging game that centers around freakin' PAPERWORK.

Anyone that is playing Arkham Origins having problems with the "Worst Nightmare" Rank 3 challenge? It's "Finish a predator encounter without being seen". Problem is is that I've done this multiple times, all of which have given me the "unseen" bonus on EXP, but not actually giving me the rank/reward. Is there something I'm not just noticing or is there something bugged with my ranking?

EDIT: Ok there it did it. While you can get the "unseen" bonus for any moment where stealth is acceptable, "predator" moments are in the giant rooms where you just jump across gargoyles until win.

fuck you TF2 bugs

this was expert mode, just 1 more tank to go and we would've finished. Then this little shithead robot pyro doesn't move.

apparently, them robots don't run on batteries, they run on money

657F7D6FCD3BB15825AAA0EB20FE1BACFCA5D2A2

Everywhere where there's smoke effects and or a ton of NPCs your framerate will take a huge dump. No problems in real levels with hostiles yet though. Just the Detroit city area itself & the police station.

My framerate's been fine, even in the busy outdoor Detroit areas. I built my computer over 2 years ago, and it was a modest rig even back then (the only upgrade I've done since it was built was the addition of more RAM), but I haven't had any trouble with the director's cut.

I'm running it in DX11 with pretty much everything on high, but I disabled DOF since it tends to be an annoying framerate-sink in most games, and the AA/AF settings are fairly modest. These are my specs:

Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

AMD Phenom II X4 955 3.2GHz

12GB DDR3 RAM

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1GB

It might be better optimized for AMD/ATI cards than it is for Nvidia cards, since AMD sponsored it, but I don't know if that'd be enough to cause the framerate issues you're having.

Got Pokemon X and considering I'm a complete Pokenoob has never played Pokemon before I'm a bit confused but I'm enjoying it quite a bit

I'm only an hour or so in so I'm just trying to find some cool Pokemon before I try out the gym but none have been especially cool yet

I am a massive Pokenoob so I know practically nothing about Pokemon...

I have beaten the first gym and found a couple new Pokemon that I like...

I now have a Cat of some sort a red monkey some weird cool thing called a Burmy and a Robin as well as a blue thing on a Space hopper that has a water machine gun...

I can see why people like Pokemon so much...

Do not get the Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut unless you like dealing with varying amounts of technical issues that were not present in the original release.

Why would anybody buy the Wii U version of Deus Ex Director's Cut

He's trying really hard to justify the purchase.

Buying a WiiU in the first place is stupid.

I disagree. I have several friends who have one, and I'd buy one if I had the money.

I'd buy a 3DS.

or I'd at least wait a couple years until Nintendo had more than 4 decent exclusive games.

I plan on getting one next year.

There just isn't QUITE enough games to make me bite yet.

I mean you do have:

Super Mario Bros. U + Super Luigi Bros. U

Pikmin 3

ZombieU

Rayman Legends (I hear the WiiU version is fantastic)

Monster Hunter 3: Ultimate

Nintendo land

The Wonderful 101

Wind Waker HD

But thats just not enough yet. If these games come out next year then I WILL get one:

Yarn Yoshi

Yakuza 1+2 HD

Bayonetta 2

Super Mario 3D world

Shin Megami Tensei X Fire Emblem

Super Smash Bros. U

mario Kart 8

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

I'd buy a 3DS.

or I'd at least wait a couple years until Nintendo had more than 4 decent exclusive games.

Don't you be talking shit about Virtue's Last--

wait never mind it's on vita too

Buying a WiiU in the first place is stupid.

Hey! I love my WiiU and I hope to one day play a game on it.

Just beat Twilight Princess for the first time ever. It wasn't my favorite Zelda by a long shot, but it felt really good to play another Zelda game after so long. Eventually I need to go back and restart Windwaker, which I started but never finished.

Also been playing Sang-Froid a lot the past two days. It's a really good game, but you're forced to run it at such a high resolution that people without high-end graphics cards or who have integrated graphics cards kinda get shafted. Wish they would AT LEAST include a windowed mode in an upcoming patch. Game is awesome, though.