Double Fine Action Forums

When I played it, I made my hero look like Link.

BECAUSE WHY THE F**K WOULDN'T YOU.

*sigh*

Marsden. Marsden. EVERYBODY does that. -_-

(My best friend did with his copy. He was like "Oh look! I made him look like Link")

I thought I'd have a bit more fun with the character editor.

When I played it, I made my hero look like Link.

BECAUSE WHY THE F**K WOULDN'T YOU.

*sigh*

Marsden. Marsden. EVERYBODY does that. -_-

Well that just proves his point then, doesn't it?

I'm playing Knytt Underground and I fucking love it. It's got this huge world (over 1800 areas), and it all feels so alive with tons of NPC to talk to, really interesting platforming mechanics and loads of puzzles. It's also super atmospheric and it has loads of secrets areas that functions as sort of portals to cross huge sections of the map fast.

Just beat Deus Ex Human Revolution Director's Cut. Twenty hours.

Replaying this three different ways is going to take a while. Then again, it might not, since I'll have a perfect Jensen by the third New Game+ run.

Speaking of taking a while, I'm going to try and get back into the habit of playing Persona 3 for hours on end as well. Goddammit, if I can come back to an unfinished playthrough of Persona 4 and play that to the end several months later, I sure as hell can come back to my half-finished Persona 3 run a few weeks later.

Speaking of taking a while, I'm going to try and get back into the habit of playing Persona 3 for hours on end as well. Goddammit, if I can come back to an unfinished playthrough of Persona 4 and play that to the end several months later, I sure as hell can come back to my half-finished Persona 3 run a few weeks later.

As a person who also has done this, friendly reminder to check the important stuff that you might have forgotten during your break!

--Is all your equipment up to date? Make sure you weren't halfway through an equipment upgrade or were just about to do one. Sucks to realize you've been playing for 10 hours with obsolete equipment you could have upgraded!

--You didn't order any special weapons at the magic shop that need to be picked up, did you?

--Don't forget to check the calendar for any special dates / full moons that might be coming up, like, SOON.

--Don't forget to check your quests for any quests that might have due dates coming up soon.

Just finished The Blackwell Deception, and it's the best one of the series (so far, looking forward to the next one).

Just finished The Blackwell Deception, and it's the best one of the series (so far, looking forward to the next one).

Are these games to be played in order?

Yes, definitely.

Well, maybe it's not essential as you don't need prior knowledge to play them, but it certainly helps to keep the story going in the proper sequence.

I would say that they are to be played not only in order, but also together as if part of one 4-part episodic game.

It's not just that the interconnected story makes MUCH more sense, but also more than one of the games in the series are so short that they shouldn't really be considered individual games in their own right.

I would say that they are to be played not only in order, but also together as if part of one 4-part episodic game.

It's not just that the interconnected story makes MUCH more sense, but also more than one of the games in the series are so short that they shouldn't really be considered individual games in their own right.

Okay so what is the order then?

just getting around to playing pokemon y after buying it a few weeks ago. its been fun so far.

Finally getting around to Mass Effect 3.

Where the hell did this dudebro named James come from? Did Shephard find him at an Ed Hardy?

Some of the dialogue is really, really bad so far. Hammy, predictable, and extremely redundant.

Oh, look, they gave Ashley Williams a sexy makeover.

Environments still looks pretty.

Guns still go bang bang bang.

Batman: Arkham Asylum.

Haven't got the hang of combat yet. I'm too damn impatient to time my attacks properly. Bleh.

Also: hanging upside-down from gargoyles and stringing up bad guys is so awesome. THIS SHOULD NOT BE AN UPGRADE - I SHOULD BE ABLE TO DO IT FROM THE START.

Still can't play my beloved Dark Souls as the living room gets invaded, but I've been playing TF2 on Steam, getting reacquainted with my favourite class, the Pyro.

Still nowhere near as good as I was back in 2008ish, but the achievements are racking up and I managed to get mvp in the server I was in. It's fun to play it again.

Also, because I'm late to the party and only just recently saw Indie Game: The Movie, I picked up Super Meat Boy, which was a pain in the ass to deal with on my mac, since the devs didn't care about a mac release and made it windowed and incompatible with the gamepad. But some jiggering with Gamepad Companion and the right words in the Launch options in Steam, and I got it working full screen and with my controller.

Also, because I'm late to the party and only just recently saw Indie Game: The Movie, I picked up Super Meat Boy, which was a pain in the ass to deal with on my mac, since the devs didn't care about a mac release and made it windowed and incompatible with the gamepad. But some jiggering with Gamepad Companion and the right words in the Launch options in Steam, and I got it working full screen and with my controller.

I like Super Meat Boy, but usually only in small bursts. It's one of those games where you fail more than you win, and I can only psychologically handle so much of that before my eye starts to twitch. Still haven't beaten that game, but still chipping away at it.

I like Super Meat Boy, but usually only in small bursts. It's one of those games where you fail more than you win, and I can only psychologically handle so much of that before my eye starts to twitch. Still haven't beaten that game, but still chipping away at it.

Oh definitely. I'm only in the second world right now and I can't count the amount of times I ragequitted over it. It's a fun game though, and good for switching my mind off a bit after a day.

Oh definitely. I'm only in the second world right now and I can't count the amount of times I ragequitted over it. It's a fun game though, and good for switching my mind off a bit after a day.

Another game like that is They Bleed Pixels, but SMB has much tighter controls. The difference is that SMB demands precision in the form of precisely calculated arcs and velocities. TBP is a platformer that is almost entirely about precisely timed right-angular movements (mid-air dashes, etc).

It's very much a platformer where you die thirty times before you win, just like SMB. The controls aren't quite as squeaky clean as SMB's, but if you like the precision platforming sort of thing it's maybe worth checking out.

Another game like that is They Bleed Pixels, but SMB has much tighter controls. The difference is that SMB demands precision in the form of precisely calculated arcs and velocities. TBP is a platformer that is almost entirely about precisely timed right-angular movements (mid-air dashes, etc).

It's very much a platformer where you die thirty times before you win, just like SMB. The controls aren't quite as squeaky clean as SMB's, but if you like the precision platforming sort of thing it's maybe worth checking out.

Oooo thanks for the suggestion. Sadly, it's for Windows only and I'm on a lowly mac, but I'll add it to the ever-increasing list of reasons I'm probably going to end up with a custom Steam box instead of a console next year.

Really REALLY considering getting the first Bit Trip Runner. It looks like a lot of fun and similar in the way of having to time everything.

It doesn't quite fit the bill, but maybe you'd consider Knytt Underground as well? It's mostly an exploration platformer, and its controls aren't as tight as SMB either, but there are tons of quests and secrets in it that requires extremely precise platforming and dozens of tries to get right. It's also cross platform and is super athmospheric.

Oooo thanks for the suggestion. Sadly, it's for Windows only and I'm on a lowly mac, but I'll add it to the ever-increasing list of reasons I'm probably going to end up with a custom Steam box instead of a console next year.

Really REALLY considering getting the first Bit Trip Runner. It looks like a lot of fun and similar in the way of having to time everything.

Oh! I saw you mention your MAC problem, but I didn't even think to look to see if it was compatible. *PC privilege* Sorry!

Bit.Trip Runner is a game that you are either going to love or hate. I've met people who wax poetic about it, but there are also a fair number of people (myself included) who think the concept is AMAZING, but the execution is... a little annoying. When you look at a gameplay video of Bit.Trip Runner, here are the weird annoyances you're not seeing:

1. Your little runner guy doesn't jump at the moment you press the button. His jumps seem to wait until the next exact tick of the metronome to execute (probably to make sure his jumps stay in rhythm), and the result is that jumping feels slightly laggy and awkward, which totally screws up your sense of timing, which is weird in a rhythm game OR a platform game.

2. With other music/rhythm games such as Guitar Hero, Frequency, Amplitude, DDR, Sequence, Samba de Amigo, and pretty much every rhythm game ever made, if you miss a beat or are slightly off in your timing, you just take a score penalty or health penalty of some kind. If you miss too many you fail. But in the case of Bit.Trip Runner, if you miss ONE JUMP, you fail completely, the entire level resets, and you have to start over from the very beginning. HARSH. You can literally play a grueling three-minute long level, screw up the timing of the very last jump, and be forced to start over from the very beginning. This often feels like the height of bullsh*t.

3. The game has boss fights. Same thing with those. If you don't perform 100% flawlessly on a boss fight and accidentally screw up the timing of a jump, you have to start the entire boss fight over. Also bullsh*t.

NOTE: Bear in mind that this is not like in Super Mario or Sonic where all you have to do is get HIT one time to be forced to die and start over. This is a game where all you really have to do is jump at slightly the wrong time. (Easy to do, because the jumps feel laggy.)

NOTE ALSO: This would be pretty cool if it were like Super Meat Boy where you could die and then jump back in for a retry almost INSTANTLY, and also where the levels are difficult but relatively small. The levels in BTR are very long, you don't get to control the speed at which you tackle them (rhythm game), and every time the level resets, you have to wait through the initial warm-up phase of the level again (i.e. just watching your guy run for a few moments, no obstacles, nothing happening, nothing to do).

4. Stairs. It looks so amazing and easy when you see it in the video, but stairs in Bit.Trip Runner are total bullsh*t and will make you throw you controller against the wall. You'll see.

It seems like such a perfect and amazing idea on paper, and I was super excited to play the game when I got it, but I ultimately ended up not liking it very much. You may still end up liking it in the end, as some people do, but just letting you know that it's not QUITE the experience it appears to be. The controls bring some sneaky baggage with them that you can't quite discern in gameplay videos and trailers.