Double Fine Action Forums

Scribblenauts is the only reason I'd have for jumping on that bundle, so I'll wait and buy just scribblenauts instead.

The Stasis alpha demo. I'm already stuck. I've got a crowbar and a jammed door... you'd think the solution would be pretty obvious, but it doesn't seem to work.

Borrowed The Last of Us from a friend, but I'm giving it back because I can't get past one stealth section in particular, and from what I've played (a good two hours, so it's not like it's the first one) that's all the game appears to be - one frustrating stealth section after another against enemies that see you even when their back is turned and you're not in their field of view.

And I f**king HATE stealth games.

Scribblenauts is the one game I've never tried which everyone rants and raves about at school.

I've played it and thought it was a lot of fun. I'm surprised to hear it's a game people rant and rave about though. Maybe it's because it has a kind of gameplay that has that wide mainstream appeal. It's certainly very casual.

I f**king HATE stealth games.

What do you think of the Sly Cooper games? I love platformers, but I don't know if I'd like the stealth elements in those games.

I'm actually OK with the Sly Cooper games, because the stealth isn't too hard and the platforming elements help to break up the gameplay. It's just when a game is pretty much nothing but stealth - and UNFORGIVING at that - that I get frustrated.

What do you think of the Sly Cooper games? I love platformers, but I don't know if I'd like the stealth elements in those games.

It's been a long time since I've played them, but I remember Sly Cooper's stealth sections being very forgiving (but not so forgiving that you didn't need to use stealth at all), and the stealth mechanics were clear and easy to understand.

Yeah, there's no "Oh, you got spotted because the enemy turned around for no reason? Well enjoy having every enemy charge after you and just when you get your hopes up that you can survive it the insta-kill enemy will come from nowhere and rip your throat out!"

...well, except for that one fan-fic I wrote. But that's non-canon, so it's all cool.

That sounds good. I'm adding it to my list. Are all the games in the franchise worth playing or is this also one of those platformer turned FPS series?

Sly Cooper? Nah, they're all the same thing, pretty much. The second one introduced larger areas to run around and I believe the third gave you plane sections as well, while the newest one introduces different time periods & characters, but the core gameplay remains the same thoughout all of them, so you're fine.

That sounds pretty cool. Thanks. I wish there were more games like that for PC. Hopefully the Steam Machines might remedy that.

EDIT: Oh, and I think it was Jak & Daxter and Ratchet & Clank I read that about. Them going from more open world platformers to more FPS like games that is.

Ratchet & Clank is what it has been from the beginning. It just got better controls as the series went on. The Jak series went open world in the sequels and added guns and a darker storyline. I still enjoyed it though. Neither of them went FPS, and Ratchet & Clank is one of the finest game series right now.

Sly Cooper? Nah, they're all the same thing, pretty much. The second one introduced larger areas to run around and I believe the third gave you plane sections as well, while the newest one introduces different time periods & characters, but the core gameplay remains the same thoughout all of them, so you're fine.

Aah, I haven't played Sly Cooper in years. Probably one of my first purchases for the PS2.

Thought the first one was fairly forgettable honestly, but the second game was plenty of fun. Alternating between all the different character perspectives during the big heists felt like I was playing through a quirky series of Ocean's Elevens.

If you replaced "FPS" with "GTA", then you'd be describing Jak & Daxter, which did effectively turn from a basic but fun Mario 64-style platformer to a sci-fi open-world shooter with platforming sections and a MUCH darker story.

The second one had hovercars and such, the third one threw in actual cars, and then there was a racing game, then the one that was ported from the PSP that no-one but me liked (apparently) and then... Playstation Move Heroes? Unfortunate that that's been the last appearance of J&D. They need more games.

Apparently, the team at Naughty Dog that made The Last of Us originally were working on a new Jak & Daxter. They tried to make it more realistic before realizing that that wasn't Jak & Daxter and made something else instead. Why they felt they needed to make it more realistic, I have no idea. Insomniac didn't make R&C more realistic when they brought it to PS3.

You're actually condensing two stories. Here's one, which is that they considered a new J&D but passed.

The OTHER is where they planned to reboot the franchise, but abandoned the idea when it became apparent that it would be J&D in nothing but name.

Seriously though, I don't care if they get another studio to do it (like the new Sly Cooper) or whatever. I want another Jak & Daxter, dammit. No questionably-canon-team-ups, just another pure, solid Jak & Daxter game.

Was playing Assassins Creed IV when I heard someone talk about the famous pirate "Mancomb Seepgood". I instantly became a lot happier.

WHOOOO!! The Arkham games run on my laptop! That's two less PS3 games for me to rebuy!

It seems Humble Bundle now directly connects to steam to redeem the games

You can click the gift thing next to it and it gives you a link to giver to your friends or whoever you gift it too. Only if you don't redeem it yourself first though.

Still chugging through Mass Effect 3.

I haven't reached the end yet and have nothing to say about the melodrama-inducing ending that made the internet go wild (though I have fairly good idea of what to expect), but it's going good. This is actually a REALLY good mass effect. In terms of story, characters, and gameplay, missions structure, it's definitely the absolute best out of the series.

In fact, the writers did such a good job on most of the dialogue and the VO cast is so good that male shephard's monotone VO sticks out like a sore thumb more than ever. Every line delivered on that same flat note. And I swear to god if I hear him say, "We all have to stick together" one more time...

Really? See, I felt the opposite. See, I wouldn't have minded the ending at all if I hadn't had to slog through thirty hours of dull fetch quests first (most of which were the equivalent of clicking on a thing and then waiting awhile) and the occasional fest of getting stuck on random bits of scenery didn't really improve the places where I actually got to do something. Also, most of the non-main quests just kinda felt... dumb. I mean, here you've got Commander Shepard, only person to defeat a Reaper, biggest badass and secret weapon in the galaxy and she (or he in some freakish mirror world) is going around scanning planets for trinkets because she overheard someone wish they had an Asari dancing vase while she was walking to buy weapons from a cheap-ass merchant who doesn't understand that THIS IS THE FRICKIN' APOCALYPSE HERE.

I mean, seriously. Sentient life is on the verge of being wiped from existence and the merchants are still charging money for things. Like money means anything anymore. They should be fighting each other for the honor of giving away as many of their guns as possible to the people who are fighting against extinction.

Really? See, I felt the opposite. See, I wouldn't have minded the ending at all if I hadn't had to slog through thirty hours of dull fetch quests first (most of which were the equivalent of clicking on a thing and then waiting awhile) and the occasional fest of getting stuck on random bits of scenery didn't really improve the places where I actually got to do something. Also, most of the non-main quests just kinda felt... dumb. I mean, here you've got Commander Shepard, only person to defeat a Reaper, biggest badass and secret weapon in the galaxy and she (or he in some freakish mirror world) is going around scanning planets for trinkets because she overheard someone wish they had an Asari dancing vase while she was walking to buy weapons from a cheap-ass merchant who doesn't understand that THIS IS THE FRICKIN' APOCALYPSE HERE.

I mean, seriously. Sentient life is on the verge of being wiped from existence and the merchants are still charging money for things. Like money means anything anymore. They should be fighting each other for the honor of giving away as many of their guns as possible to the people who are fighting against extinction.

I've given in to the fact that, on some level, video game stories will always be ridiculous. You could write the most moving, tear-jerking, non-ridiculous story ever written, but then you're presented with the problem of gamifying it, and gamification is inherently ridiculous. The story cannot possibly merge with a game without becoming, on some level, stupider as a result.

But just as in a theatrical experience where you have to suspend your disbelief to enjoy yourself, you sort of have to learn to suspend your awareness of the fact that the gamey parts are constantly undermining the story parts. (Or vice versa, depending on what kind of purist you are.)

I do think that the Citadel fetch quests get a little tedious after a while, but the other missions are just fine. The planet scanning one one hand now feels sort of perfunctory and shallow, but it's a quick and fast alternative to the monotonous thing it was before. So I welcome that change.

But mostly I like that the missions (i.e. the ones where you shoot things) are now just better designed. The different planets and facilities feel much larger and more unique. The firefights feels more challenging. And it seems like the number of missions is much larger as well.

There are aspects about it that are annoying me, but overall I'm enjoying more than ME2.

Just gave the final (well, sometimes it freezes and it quite drains the battery) of Desktop Dungeons a try. What once was a fantastic pure concept now is hidden under bloated layers. It's still there but there is all this nonsense in between (feature creep). Tons of messages you click away without reading them (and without getting any points for doing so), additional non focused game design. Such a waste ... in my opinion the better game would have been taking the alpha, making it a rock solid experience, adding some nice gfx and sfx and you're done. Btw. the music stands out.

They also only provide a Steam key (can't remember what they promised years ago). Well, it certainly will show up in some future HIB.

Batman: Arkham Asylum. Slowly starting to get used to the combat mechanics. Still can't quite get used to counter-attacking enemies when the blue things pop up over their heads half the time (keep pressing normal attack and getting hit, grr), but I'm getting there.

Sod enemies with guns though. Sod them to hell and back.

Finally got round to playing Deponia because of the humble bundle and an hour in I'm really enjoying it

Nice Puzzles, nice humour and nice Artstyle I can definitely see myself getting into it

Finally got round to playing Deponia because of the humble bundle and an hour in I'm really enjoying it

Nice Puzzles, nice humour and nice Artstyle I can definitely see myself getting into it

I love everything except the main character, I just don't connect with him the way I did with Threepwood, Sam and Max, Bernard etc. I can't put my finger on why exactly though.

I love everything except the main character, I just don't connect with him the way I did with Threepwood, Sam and Max, Bernard etc. I can't put my finger on why exactly though.

I'm not really that fond of Rufus either. He's... kind of a selfish jerk. I don't mind characters that are sometimes selfish jerks, but that seems to be an apt way to describe Rufus at basically any moment.