Double Fine Action Forums

Speaking of Deponia, I just finished it and now it's killing me having to wait for the Steam sale to get the rest of that awesome German adventure game action. That game was so goddamn good and now I'm getting really pissed off because Edna & Harvey is running like shit, and the intro alone got me really interested in the game, as well as the interesting art style.

About Rufus, yeah, he totally starts out as a completely unlikeable asshole, but I find he gets more likable towards the end. I think that's the point of his character, really, you're not supposed to connect to him in the beginning.

He's the kind of person who starts out thinking he's some hot shit, and then realizes he's just shit, and eventually tries to make up for it.

Finally got round to playing Deponia because of the humble bundle and an hour in I'm really enjoying it

Nice Puzzles, nice humour and nice Artstyle I can definitely see myself getting into it

I love everything except the main character, I just don't connect with him the way I did with Threepwood, Sam and Max, Bernard etc. I can't put my finger on why exactly though.

I'm not really that fond of Rufus either. He's... kind of a selfish jerk. I don't mind characters that are sometimes selfish jerks, but that seems to be an apt way to describe Rufus at basically any moment.

See, I felt the same way... until I played the third one. Because they actually do a good job of explaining why he's a selfish jerk almost all the time. And why he's usually totally okay with people or animals getting killed on the way to solving a puzzle. And more or less most of the things about his character like why he's completely blind to his faults. And then that knowledge makes the final puzzle of Goodbye Deponia kinda amazing. It was a long time to the payoff, but I felt it was worth it.

Really? See, I felt the opposite. See, I wouldn't have minded the ending at all if I hadn't had to slog through thirty hours of dull fetch quests first (most of which were the equivalent of clicking on a thing and then waiting awhile) and the occasional fest of getting stuck on random bits of scenery didn't really improve the places where I actually got to do something. Also, most of the non-main quests just kinda felt... dumb. I mean, here you've got Commander Shepard, only person to defeat a Reaper, biggest badass and secret weapon in the galaxy and she (or he in some freakish mirror world) is going around scanning planets for trinkets because she overheard someone wish they had an Asari dancing vase while she was walking to buy weapons from a cheap-ass merchant who doesn't understand that THIS IS THE FRICKIN' APOCALYPSE HERE.

I mean, seriously. Sentient life is on the verge of being wiped from existence and the merchants are still charging money for things. Like money means anything anymore. They should be fighting each other for the honor of giving away as many of their guns as possible to the people who are fighting against extinction.

There was a story explanation on the whole store thing actually. Most people at the Citadel are in complete denial that the Reaper threat is the end of all life or that the Reapers could beat the Citadel's force. Granted the

Cerberus Invasion

should have ended that explanation immediately, but denial could still be an issue there.

Really? See, I felt the opposite. See, I wouldn't have minded the ending at all if I hadn't had to slog through thirty hours of dull fetch quests first (most of which were the equivalent of clicking on a thing and then waiting awhile) and the occasional fest of getting stuck on random bits of scenery didn't really improve the places where I actually got to do something. Also, most of the non-main quests just kinda felt... dumb. I mean, here you've got Commander Shepard, only person to defeat a Reaper, biggest badass and secret weapon in the galaxy and she (or he in some freakish mirror world) is going around scanning planets for trinkets because she overheard someone wish they had an Asari dancing vase while she was walking to buy weapons from a cheap-ass merchant who doesn't understand that THIS IS THE FRICKIN' APOCALYPSE HERE.

I mean, seriously. Sentient life is on the verge of being wiped from existence and the merchants are still charging money for things. Like money means anything anymore. They should be fighting each other for the honor of giving away as many of their guns as possible to the people who are fighting against extinction.

There was a story explanation on the whole store thing actually. Most people at the Citadel are in complete denial that the Reaper threat is the end of all life or that the Reapers could beat the Citadel's force. Granted the

Cerberus Invasion

should have ended that explanation immediately, but denial could still be an issue there.

At that point, I don't understand why the military can't afford good enough equipment for its flagship so they don't have to go to the cheap-ass merchants. And I still don't get why you have to spend more than half your time tracking down relics to improve morale instead of fighting the bad guys. It almost feels like Shepard is avoiding the battle as much as possible. Which would have made a great plot point except that everyone treats it like it was totally normal.

I mean I would have loved there to be an option where you do all the sidequests and then some snippy news reporter comes up and asks you why you're delaying a confrontation with the Reapers.

A friend gifted me Mercenary Kings. It's really good.

I'm on the fence about buying that one till full release. What're your pros/cons thus far? Do I need to play with other people for it to be fun?

JUST finished Mass Effect 1 (Yeah, yeah, I know. But I was in the middle of ME2 on my xbox when it suddenly red ringed on me last year. I switched to a PS3, bought the trilogy and it's just...taken me some time to get back in to it).

Still amazing. The game that got me back in to gaming. Started up ME2 and going through the same troubles as I was last year. Loving it, though.

Aside from that, Bit Trip Runner 2. Wonderful time killer.

A friend gifted me Mercenary Kings. It's really good.

I'm on the fence about buying that one till full release. What're your pros/cons thus far? Do I need to play with other people for it to be fun?

Oh man. I'm gonna get back to this because I could go on and on about how great it is. I was seriously up all night thinking about why it all works so well about it. To answer your second question, I'm playing by myself, and I'm having a blast. There are a couple parts here and there that feel like they could use more polish, and I wish there was more variety in the enviroments. The Vsync is also not implemented at this point it looks like. There's some screen tearing. Nothing game breaking though.

Just fought the Fortune and Strength shadows in Persona 3 and

holy fuck that cutscene afterward. Of all the plot points I accidentally spoiled for myself, I'm glad I didn't get spoiled on that one because that had a lot of unexpected impact and made me like Shinji a lot more as a character.

holy fuck that cutscene afterward. Of all the plot points I accidentally spoiled for myself, I'm glad I didn't get spoiled on that one because that had a lot of unexpected impact and made me like Shinji a lot more as a character.

I thought that was a really good part, too. Shinji seemed like much more of a douche before that. At the same time, though, I was a little bummed at how they handled the whole thing. They essentially used his character to

pull the old Aeris death trick

. It totally worked and had a shocking emotional impact like it was supposed to, but it wasn't as potent as

Aeris's death was

, because you didn't have him in your party from the very beginning of the game. He just showed up occasionally to say something moody and brooding. And then you finally DO get him in your party, and he's naturally several levels below your current party members, so you dedicate an entire night----hours maybe---to bringing him up to speed

and then he immediately dies, making all your work for essentially nothing. Which wouldn't have been so bad if you had had him from the beginning and actually accomplished things with him or been able to legitimately use him to advance your mission. But this was more like training/work that was ultimately wasted time. I was a little bummed about that. It was almost as if they only gave him to you as a playable character for the very specific reason that they wanted to pull the Aeris partymember death trick with him, and no other reason. Something about it felt too planned or too forced. But it still was pretty good for a JRPG, all criticisms considered.

It definitely made Shinji and Amada more interesting characters. I still wasn't a huge fan of using Amada in party, though.

Pokemon Y

After alot of research, catching a breeding I finally got a 4 perfect IV vaporeon (31,1,31,18,31,31)

Its a shame I didn't get 5 perfect IVs and while I could try to breed for it, honestly for regular play this is good enough for me! :D

I thought that was a really good part, too. Shinji seemed like much more of a douche before that. At the same time, though, I was a little bummed at how they handled the whole thing. They essentially used his character to

pull the old Aeris death trick

. It totally worked and had a shocking emotional impact like it was supposed to, but it wasn't as potent as

Aeris's death was

, because you didn't have him in your party from the very beginning of the game. He just showed up occasionally to say something moody and brooding. And then you finally DO get him in your party, and he's naturally several levels below your current party members, so you dedicate an entire night----hours maybe---to bringing him up to speed

and then he immediately dies, making all your work for essentially nothing. Which wouldn't have been so bad if you had had him from the beginning and actually accomplished things with him or been able to legitimately use him to advance your mission. But this was more like training/work that was ultimately wasted time. I was a little bummed about that. It was almost as if they only gave him to you as a playable character for the very specific reason that they wanted to pull the Aeris partymember death trick with him, and no other reason. Something about it felt too planned or too forced. But it still was pretty good for a JRPG, all criticisms considered.

It definitely made Shinji and Amada more interesting characters. I still wasn't a huge fan of using Amada in party, though.

I don't know, I didn't really feel that way, but I only really used Ken, Shinji and Koromaru for one boss fight because my regular party was weak to it and

Junpei was tied up somewhere

. I never really bother leveling everyone, because, as I learned from Persona 4, it takes long enough to get the party I usually use to an adequate level for the boss already, so I'd rather not quadruple those hours of grinding.

I'm playing Skyrim again.

This time, I'm playing SkyRe (t3nd0's Skyrim Redone mod) which reworks the perk trees and overhauls the combat. It took a lot of doing to figure out what was wrong with my mod setup when ReProccing the equipment stats, but I finally isolated the Dragonbone Weapons mod as being incompatible with SkyRe. Also, I have Frostfall installed, but I'm not sold on whether I want to use it.

My new character is named M'arcus, after my cat, and he's a Khajiit who starts the game by setting out for adventure after leaving his caravan.

I found another Monkey Island reference. 2 soldiers were talking about how swordplay "was like making love, not always what you do, but what you say" and then proceeded to have a short insult battle.

Ubisoft cares more about Monkey Island than Lucasarts/Telltale do!

I don't know, I didn't really feel that way, but I only really used Ken, Shinji and Koromaru for one boss fight because my regular party was weak to it and

Junpei was tied up somewhere

. I never really bother leveling everyone, because, as I learned from Persona 4, it takes long enough to get the party I usually use to an adequate level for the boss already, so I'd rather not quadruple those hours of grinding.

That's one thing I kinda hate about some JRPGs is the uselessness of even HAVING numerous party members. There are so many JRPGs where you can just pick three party members and use them for the whole game. You end up meeting like 12 playable characters, but you never have to use them or are never really enticed to use them outside of the fact that they are new and have different moves.

Compare to a game like Final Fantasy X where the battle system is designed in a way where each party member brings a unique strength to your team, and if they fall in battle, it can mean the loss of a serious asset. Sometimes you revive a character because they are the only person who is capable of adequately handling a particular enemy type.

I love the Persona games, and I love the Shadow Hearts games, but both of them are examples of games where you never really have to use the new party members. Aside from merely wanting to, there is no good reason.

The only reason I try to keep everyone at an even level is because I have some kind of weird OCD tick when it comes to numbers. I like them to match, and I like them to be numbers I like and not numbers I hate. (For example, most prime numbers annoy me. If you set the television volume to a prime number, then I WILL KILL YOU UNLESS YOU CHANGE IT.)

But the other reason is that JRPGs are also fond of pulling that trick where they arbitrarily make your party members unavailable for some plot-related reason, or else they split them up etc etc. I'm always afraid that if I play only three people and get them all to level 60, the game is suddenly going to be like, "Due to a story event, those three characters are locked in the bathroom and can't get out or something, so now you have to use your crappy level 15 characters to tackle this hallway of level 70 monsters."

Would a JRPG do that to you? Oh yeah it would. It would do it in a HEARTBEAT.

So I'm always worried about that.

stuff
Another great example of party members being done great is Chrono Trigger where characters have combination powers that vary based on the current party and then the fact that they all have a single elemental attribute means that you are going to be switching characters in and out throughout the game at a decent pace.

Another thing I liked was in FF4 and 6 where characters would enter and leave the party at an extremely fast rate which made grinding non existent for the most part and made you use all the characters so they weren't uselessly taking up slots. Also the job system in FF3 and FF5 keeps the character roster low and their usefulness high.

Been playing pokemon Y lately, at the second gym battle but need to do some level grinding for my party.

All this talk of jrpgs makes me want to play ffvii again. I wonder if it well go on sale on steam here soon.

I decided to try and roll with the terrible performance issues I was getting with Harvey's New Eyes, when suddenly the game started running playably. (Well, after, like, twenty minutes)

I ended up playing it for hours and I'm already near the end and holy shit, that game is fucked up. It's really fucking good, but it's also really fucked up. Like, wow. I'm amazed by all of the stuff that happens in the first chapter.

I think every Daedalic game I've played so far has had severe performance issues.

Did you play The Breakout first? I haven't played either yet, so I don't know how well the sequel stands on its own. I believe quality issues was the reason it took so long for the first game to get on Steam. At least that's what I remember reading on the Steam forums a couple of years ago.

I think every Daedalic game I've played so far has had severe performance issues.

Did you play The Breakout first? I haven't played either yet, so I don't know how well the sequel stands on its own. I believe quality issues was the reason it took so long for the first game to get on Steam. At least that's what I remember reading on the Steam forums a couple of years ago.

I haven't played The Breakout, I haven't heard anything bad about it from a technical standpoint, but the translation is supposedly terrible.

Harvey's New Eyes stands up very well on it's own, it's mostly it's own story, but it has characters from The Breakout and spoils things from it, so if you don't want things about the first game spoiled you should play it first.

I gave Rayman: Jungle Run a try today.

Then forced myself to stop an hour later. Jesus, this game is fiendishly addictive. Seriously, GET IT.

Finished Bioshock Infinite's DLC Burial at Sea Episode 1

-very very short

-enemies are tougher and come after you much faster

-ammo and other resources are more scarce

-weapon wheel returns. You can now carry more weapons at the same time. you can quickswitch between the last 2 weapons, using another weapon you have to acces the wheel.

-vigors are called plasmids again, but you get em by drinking from a bottle, like infinite. Instead of Bioshock 1's needle injection. It's explained by Suchong observing Fink through tears.

story:

The story begins on December 31 1958 mere hours before the riots. Booker is now a private investigqtor in Rapture. Elizabeth asks him to investigate the dissapearance of a young girl. Long story short, they find the girl. Booker remembers he's actually comstock who's memory was removed and fled to Rapture, after killing Anna by decapitation through the tear when they were fighting over her (instead of a finger). When they find the girl. She's a already a little sister, and Booker gets killed by a Big Daddy, just as Elizabeth intended

I haven't played The Breakout, I haven't heard anything bad about it from a technical standpoint, but the translation is supposedly terrible.

Harvey's New Eyes stands up very well on it's own, it's mostly it's own story, but it has characters from The Breakout and spoils things from it, so if you don't want things about the first game spoiled you should play it first.

I might play the first one first then. I got it on GOG a while back, but haven't gotten around to playing it yet. Haven't played any adventure games since Chaos on Deponia I think, so one might be due soon. I'm really hooked on Knytt Underground at the moment though, so it might be a while still.

I have been playing some of Long Live the queen and it is pretty entertaining Visual novel based around improving skills to try and live long enough to become queen...

So far the only solution I have found is to learn everything there is to know about magic and burn anyone who challenges you...

Pretty enjoyable Visual novel if you're interested in that sort of thing

Just finished Lego Marvel with 100% and all the achievements. Now there can be no DLC or any late patches to add more content because I am DONE.

Loved the game, but I have finally reached the point where I don't need to play it anymore.

Pretty sure the only real DLC they add to LEGO games is extra characters, and even those are completely optional (and pointless!), so I think you're safe.