Double Fine Action Forums

If you play it again, mod the dragons with Deadly Dragons or Dragon Combat Overhaul. I don't recommend Enhanced Mighty Dragons because the lowest-level dragon, Ai'Mul'Grah, spams Force shouts that toss you around and can disarm you. It becomes a chore when you have to watch ragdoll sequences ad nauseum and can only fight the thing properly with Bound weapons.

Of course, these mods not only make dragons harder, but have the option to change their spawn rate.

If you play it again, mod the dragons with Deadly Dragons or Dragon Combat Overhaul. I don't recommend Enhanced Mighty Dragons because the lowest-level dragon, Ai'Mul'Grah, spams Force shouts that toss you around and can disarm you. It becomes a chore when you have to watch ragdoll sequences ad nauseum and can only fight the thing properly with Bound weapons.

Of course, these mods not only make dragons harder, but have the option to change their spawn rate.

Thanks anyway, though.

I agree that the dragons were too generic. It was an AWESOME idea, but they went overboard with it. Literally, every time I play the game, I encounter a dragon every single time I fast travel or every five minutes.

When dragons are about as common as stones in the road, they sorta lose their wow factor.

First random dragon encounter: Dramatic chase through the foggy wilderness ending in a dual of fate on a mountaintop.

Twentieth random dragon encounter: Let the horse handle it...

Hell, I just ran to a nearby town and let the town guard take care of it, swooping in at the last minute to steal its soul.

It suited my sneaky, sneaky glass cannon character.

Oh my god I am so jealous that you have Tearaway

I'm a big stinky sucker for cutesy colorful graphics with novel gameplay (inb4 the use of the word "gimmicky")

Played Deponia a bit tonight. Rufus has the same walk animation as Simon the Sorcerer, but he reminds me of Daffy Duck. I don't think he's that much of an ass. In fact he's kind of lovable. And handsome. And familiar. Dunno why. But he definitely IS handsome. And perfect. And a babe magnet.

Have been playing a lot of Shin Megami Tensei 4. I never ever thought I'd play a game like this on a Nintendo handheld. It might be MY game of the year, although I need to finish Luigi's Mansion: Dark Moon as well.

Lego Marvel Super Heroes. Finished the campaign last night, which didn't really end as well as I'd hoped, but eh, whatever. Still a fun game.

Been playing pokemon Y, currently at the 6th gym right now. I also have been playing a link between two worlds, I'm about to head to the 1st dongen the the other world(don't rember what its called).

Working on Shadowhearts: Covenant.

http://i.imgur.com/rFInGBa.png

I think this is a basic problem with dungeon designs in all RPGs. I think every single dungeon in Baldur's Gate followed this formula, except there you have the small chance of bypassing some doors with a thief character.

I think of this and I think of my favorite (and also the most aggravating) dungeon in Baldur's Gate II: the mindflayer dungeon. There were multiple ways of getting through and all of them cost something. You could go mind control a mindflayer to open the doors, which was a bit of backtracking and also had the problem of suddenly having a creature in the middle of your party that could murder your entire group single-handedly, or you could go into your demon form which would make you more evil aligned and might cause some members to leave your party in disgust.

I also liked it because it required very solid strategy to get through it alive.

Working on Shadowhearts: Covenant.

http://i.imgur.com/rFInGBa.png

I think this is a basic problem with dungeon designs in all RPGs. I think every single dungeon in Baldur's Gate followed this formula, except there you have the small chance of bypassing some doors with a thief character.

A lot of the PS1 and PS2 era JRPGs followed this formula if they used random encounters. I'd bet good money than in the vast majority of cases it was a very conscious design decision motivated not by the desire to have a puzzle but by the desire to obligate the player to take more steps in the dungeon, thereby obligating them to trigger more random encounters before reaching the exit. That's why the "puzzles" are usually tiresome switch-flipping routines.

I'm not against random encounters as a system, per se. Sometimes I even love the old random encounter approach. But this implementation of it has always been sadistic and awful. I don't think I'd be wrong in guessing that it's something most JRPG lovers tolerate rather than enjoy.

Guacamelee

Even though I already own it on PC, (the full version at that), I decided to play it on the vita instead, since its a PlayStation plus title this month.

I REALLY like this game. Good style, and some solid mechanics with some nice Metroid style secrets.

What Baldur's Gate are you talking about? Certainly not the PC games.

Many of the dungeons in the PC game from what I have played were set up similar to this. Also Dark Alliance, which I played more of than the PC game is set up entirely like this.

I started playing Dantes Inferno, I like it so far though it gets pretty frustrating at times.

I normally have to force myself to 100% the Lego games (like with LotR), but this one's just... fun.

I don't know how they did it despite it being so similar to other games in the series, but this one was awesome and I'd like another plz Traveller's Tales, Marvel, DC and Lego!

Thinking back on it though, it's like Lego Batman 2... only fun. Marvel's always had this light-hearted goofy air to them that DC just doesn't seem to want anything to do with, which is why LB2 just wasn't anything special to me. Exploring Gotham was boring. Exploring New York, on the other hand... that's fun. Especially with Iron Man. NEEEOOOOWWWWMMM!!!

SPELUNKY RULES!!!

I am in full agreement with this statement.

Anyway, for games I'm playing that's not Spelunky, Desktop Dungeons is very good, but it ramps up the difficulty really quickly. I found myself initially struggling with the first few "real" dungeons. Things would seem to go well at first, but then I'd work myself into a corner. Having to manage discovered/undiscovered tiles as an actual resource is something I haven't quite gotten used to yet.

Also, Desktop Dungeons has some good music. Danny Baranowsky and Grant Kirkhope are the composers.

The first hours of Baldur's Gate 2 Enhanced Edition.

And the first impressions are not all that great. Importing a savegame works but is a bit wonky. You can no longer cheat the game and keep all your items *cry* and if you chose one of these neat new portraits from the BG 1 EE you now have an empty portrait because they haven't included them in this game. Who does that?

Also the game advertises it's DLC characters at every start now.

I also don't like the new UI and they are using the old BG2 movies. I actually liked the remade & new made movies from the first game (even though there were a few purists that need to be slapped for complaining about them).

There is a button that constantly shows you the items on the floor nearby so you can click to pick them up without searching 500 fallen enemies. That's actually useful.

You'll have to keep us updated on this. I'm interested in the project... but at the same time, I really don't want to give up my awesomely modded version of the game. I mean, I have an Edwin romance quest on there!

You know, Deadpool is one of those games that is exactly what I thought it would be. Gameplay that's really similar to the Ultimate Alliance games with less of an RPG element. There's upgrading, but it's not as impressive really. It's a forgettable game that could've came out 5 years ago.

It's all right, but it could have been so much better.

So I thought I wouldn't buy any more long linear action games.

Then I bought Bioshock Infinite. Because the design and story made me interested.

But geez, what a dull and messy game it turned out to be. At least I only payed $8 for it.

Huh. I thought it was one of the better triple A's released this year, myself.