Double Fine Action Forums

Ah, I see what you mean then. Sounds like it would be good as an in-between game.

I've been playing it every night. Can't be bad if I go back to it that often.

Ah, I see what you mean then. Sounds like it would be good as an in-between game.

I've been playing it every night. Can't be bad if I go back to it that often.

I didn't mean that as a bad thing. It's nice to have games that are easy to play in short bursts for when I finish a long game and just want a quick session of something or when I just don't have much time for games. I often play puzzle games like Toki Tori or mobile type games like Snuggle Truck at such times. If I have something really good to play it's even better.

Have a huge freakin' backlog of games to get through, but decided on a whim to pick up Guacamelee. And holy hell is that game difficult in places.

I've been playing XCOM:ENEMY UNKNOWN off and on the past couple of days. I really like almost everything about it, but there is one thing about it that I find insufferably annoying:

The use of die rolls to determine whether or not your attacks hit.

NOW GRANTED, this is in some ways pretty standard for a tactical RPG (or even a tabletop RPG). When I play Final Fantasy Tactics or Disgaea, for example, and one of my little warrior dudes attacks a ninja dude with a broadsword, there is a chance---depending on the target's evasion/speed---that the attack could miss. But most of the time it hits. In other words, in a typical tactical RPG, your attacks are going to hit the vast majority of the time, but there are occasional misses.

XCOM takes this to the extreme, though. Part of the alleged "high difficulty" of the game is directly attributable to the fact that frequent misses are designed to be part of the experience. Your little dudes are gonna shoot at aliens a lot of times in this game, and damn close to 50% of the time, they are going to miss the shot, deal zero damage, waste their turn, and waste their ammo (contributing toward a future wasted turn which will go toward a reload).

The game has built into the UI a hit rating percentage before you take any shot, ostensibly to help you decide whether the odds of hitting are good enough to take the shot. But earlier today, I got frustrated with how frequently the characters seem to miss, so I decided to test it out. I had two characters left within range of one alien. The alien was a fair distance away but was NOT BEHIND COVER from the assault dude's vantage point. He was behind half cover from the sniper's vantage point. My assault dude had a 39% chance to hit but had a completely open shot. My sniper had a 76% chance to hit, but was firing through half-cover. I saved the game mid-battle, right there. If those percentages are accurate, then it stands to reason that if I reload that save repeatedly until I hit, my assault guy should hit the alien on four out of ten reloads. My sniper should hit the alien on 3 out of 4 reloads. Give or take a little on these estimates for cover/distance penalties that may not be reflected in the prediction.

I reloaded 15 times for the assault dude and 15 times for the sniper. NEITHER OF THEM EVER SCORED A HIT.

The way I was finally able to score a hit was to use the assault dude to rush the alien in the open and use a special ability to fire two shots in a row at a significantly lowered hit rate (about 8% per shot). The first shot missed, again, but the second one hit???!?!?!?

This leads me to believe that:

A) Whether you hit/miss in some situations may be predetermined by factors that the player doesn't know about and aren't factored into the numbers, making these hit rate numbers some extremely fickle friends.

and/or

B) These percentages are based on a weird equation that you never see, factoring in a bunch of variables that you don't know about, giving you a number that purports to mean "your chance of hitting", but what it ACTUALLY means is technically so unknown to you that sometimes this number will mean exactly what you think it does and sometimes it might as well just be a random number.

At any rate, I've complained about using die rolls in this way for multiple games in multiple threads, so this rant will surely come as no surprise. (FTL is another game that does this, which pisses me off to no end.)

Clearly some people love the idea of forfeiting their own cognition and will, instead letting a computer repeatedly roll a simulated die to determine whether their balls get punched or lovingly stroked on this turn, but I find the sh*t damn near intolerable.

Other than that, A+ game, but jesus christ.

I love X-com but the randomness can get annoying...

The number of Psi attacks that missed that were around 99% (and one that was 100%) was simply unfair at some points...

When complaining about this to other friends who like XCOM, they also told me of multiple times they missed their targets at a 99% chance to hit.

This only lends support to my belief that those numbers are either bullsh*t or somehow misinformed.

Oh, I forgot about the other complaint where an alien is behind cover when crouching behind a small rock, but if he is completely inside of a building made out of brick and mortar, my sniper can hit him as though he is not behind cover? I mean, don't get me wrong, it's AWESOME that my sniper is so bad ass that he can fire a bullet through a f**king wall and kill an alien on the other side, but that doesn't help the game's tactical logic make any more sense.

It took some years to do it, but I have finally beaten Fallout: New Vegas - Dead Money.

It wasn't always that fun to play, because of some really annoying battles, but it so extremely well written. The premise, the pace of story, the depth of the characters, how well it integrated into the Fallout universe, and the setup for the other DLC packages.

I was frustrated from time to time with it, but I'm really glad that I stuck with it. :)

South Park: The Stick of Truth.

It's good.

"Oh s**t it's 1 in the morning and I need sleep but I don't wanna stop" good.

http://www.abload.de/img/futurama_profyfqm.jpg

Diablo III is finally in a state where it's fun to play after the patch a few days ago. I really didn't expect that because it was horrible for almost 2 years.

One of my buddies was just raving about this patch today. I'm not big into Diablo, but I've read the criticism. Good save, Blizzard.

It's good.

I'm still going qround town doing stuff, not doing that quest to get those 3 friends (Token and the other 2)

So, Playing LPBB and Dear Leader tomorrow again. Steed and Mnemonic I don't know if I feel are that replayable.

It's good.

I'm still going qround town doing stuff, not doing that quest to get those 3 friends (Token and the other 2)

I'm doing that as well, but I think I've finally run out of things to do. Dear lord, I might have to actually advance the plot! AAAHHH!

I decided to sit down and finally play Wolfenstein 3D properly (I've played a few levels of episode 1 every now and then since it came out, but that was about it). I finally finished episode 1, and I'm now on episode 2. I'm surprised at how well they changed the atmosphere here with the human experiments and all around creepy vibe. It feels like a whole different game, rather than just a new episode.

I was gonna put off playing the AF2014 prototypes til tomorrow but HOLY CRAP Little Pink Best Buds looks great. So I'm gonna install that and play it for a bit.

I didn't even vote for any of the Pen Ward led games

Still SP:SoT.

Wait until you guys get to Canada. :)

Also, for the record - the max level you can reach is 15, so don't bother grinding or anything (like I did), or you'll reach it about halfway through the game and non-essential combat effectively becomes pointless.

I've replayed Memoria in english (GOG) which was more convincing than the german version once was. Still, they should include the german voices as well. Memoria easily is Daedalic's best adventure so far, 8/10. It comes with some of the downsides you're probably used to from Daedalic but on the other side it offers a very good moody classical fairy tale story (especially Sadja's tale) and if you dig the art style then the game can suck you in.

Replaying Guise of the Wolf to see 1) how quickly I can finish it and 2) if I can get the good ending, because I REALLY wanna see it now I know how bad the ending cutscenes are.

I have been playing Dark Souls 2 quite a bit. The level designs are just as good as the first game. I also bought a copy of Radiant Historia and am going to start that later today hopefully.

Been playing Long Live the Queen quite a lot lately. Trying to get specific branches in the story and figuring out how to best get past them can be tricky... Also played some War of the Overworld Bedrock Beta for testing if it brings nostalgia back. It does, but sadly performance on my laptop from 2009 isn't the best.

LOTRO. "Eww, F2P MMO" I know, I know.

I mostly play it for the immersion and the (at least on the server I play on) very friendly community. If it was anything aside from Middle-earth, I probably wouldn't bother, because mechanically it's kinda stuck in an MMO time warp and mostly plays like old vanilla or BC-era WoW.

Even though it's well behind the curve in MMO design and despite its distinct lack of meaningful endgame, I still enjoy it a lot, and I at least gotta applaud Turbine on the world-building. It's a very faithful recreation of Middle-earth.

Bit of context. I don't game on my PS3 anywhere near as much as I'd like to. It's in the living room, so it's usually always invaded by the parents during the evenings and if I do get in there, they seem to take it as an invitation to sit down and talk with me (which leads me to just put the controller down out of frustration). Weekends are a crapshoot normally reserved for sleep. The goal will be, at some point, to get a small 24" television for my room so I can spend more evenings getting through my backlog.

So I've been thinking a lot about, and playing a bit more of Dark Souls 1. I've had it for months and I absolutely adore it, but I've always been stuck on this one area earlyish in the game. Basically it's because I would do one run, die, go back, and then work or something else will require me to turn the console off.

So I finally got through the area I was having trouble with. Decided that I could sacrifice some sleep to at least grind some souls a bit and pick up a sword that helped fantastically. And then...I found a save point I didn't know about earlier.

So yeah, it took a few months, but the game finally opened up for me. Praise the Sun.

they seem to take it as an invitation to sit down and talk with me

I would hate that!

It's why I can barely game on weeknights. I get a grand total of five minutes of gameplay before a conversation opens up. Some games I can get through it, but Dark Souls? Nope.

I've been playing Bioshock Infinite and am like a year too late to offer opinions on it, so nobody really cares, but here's what I think:

1) A very pretty, high-quality world to walk around in

2) But there are quite a lot of parts where just walking around is all you're really doing. It leaves you torn... on one hand, these environments ARE beautiful and super realized... on the other hand.... getting kind of bored?

3) It's cool that there are still plasmids (i.e. vigors).

4) But there are only, like, two? Wait, isn't this Bioshock? The game that is almost literally ABOUT plasmids? Why does their presence feel more like an absence? And why is it that I'm almost finished with the game and I've only used them like twice whereas before I couldn't survive without them? What's going on here?

5) Only two guns at a time? What? I guess that's... realistic... and adds a slight ammo conservation twist? But it's much less annoying to pick a gun from a tool wheel than to have to frantically run around the environment looking for the gun you need (aka sniper rifle), throw down the gun you like (and have dumped all your upgrades into), pick up a new gun you like less (and have not upgraded at all) quickly pick off two guys, then throw THAT gun down, and pick up the gun you like again? I dunno. Maybe it's just me, but that seems like kind of a hassle?

6) These guns are so ordinary.

7) I really like Elizabeth.

8) At the same time, I have this constant feeling hanging over me that I don't like Elizabeth as much as I'm supposed to? What they did with her is really great in so many ways, and yet she doesn't resonate with me like Jade (Beyond Good & Evil) or Alyx Vance. I think it's because she's all writing and no collaboration. With a character like Alyx Vance, for example, or any of Jade's sidekicks in BG&E (e.g. Pey'j or Double H), I resonated with them a lot more, because they didn't just walk beside me, saying things, striking poses. They took an active part in whatever I was doing. They didn't just tag along like a parrot on my shoulder. I interacted with them, often times in ways that were unique to the specific situation I found myself in. The interaction you repeatedly get with Elizabeth is the one where she throws you some money, but this interaction gets spammed throughout the course of the game until the lovely bloom of meaning it sort of had the first time you experienced it is quickly and utterly obliterated by ugly, video gamey systematicity. The reason I like Alyx Vance is because Valve was kind enough to hide the gears and motors whirring beneath her surface. Elizabeth is sort of just along for the ride, although she moves around in interesting ways over there in the passenger seat. And while she doesn't let it slip too often that she's secretly a robot, the ways that she does let it slip are pretty hard to ignore.

9) Not wanting to do yet another game about the city under the ocean, it was pretty cool of them to try a city in the sky. As a concept, that was a cool way to go.

10) On the other hand, part of the reason the city under the ocean is cool is because water is SUPPOSED to be underneath you. When water is to your left and right, and also above you, that is quite unusual. In fact, without a wall of glass in between, that situation would kill you. To even BE INSIDE rapture was to thumb your nose at death. And that's before you even start shooting things. But when you go to a city in the sky, what's above you then? Answer: more sky. So even though you're IN the sky, there is still sky above you, just like there always was, so really it's not all that different. The only way the player is really cognizant of this peculiar situation is if they stop moving long enough to peer over an edge or observe the way the building are slowly shifting. But just walking around? Columbia could just as well be on the ground. Aside from the sky rail system, the experience of being in the sky is just not very pronounced at all.

11) Where are the hackable turrets? The bots? The big daddies? The teleporters? The ceiling crawlers? These enemies pretty much just shoot at me. Not that that's necessarily BAD, but it's not very Bioshock. It's very... normal. Very normal.

12) Is it a shooter or is it a story game? Both of those are good things, but here they keep stepping on each other's toes.

13) I like the game.

14) I wish I liked the game more.

Super Mario Galaxy., since I never got into it when I first got it.

I will NEVER truly get used to the weird-ass gravity, but apart from that I'm enjoying it a great deal more now that I've kind of acclimated to it. Took way too long for that to happen though.

Dark Souls took a while to click with me. But once it did, hoo-boy. Glad to hear people are still getting into it.

It's also nice to hear Dark Souls 2 seems to be received pretty well by the fans so far. I've been on a media blackout for it, so I haven't really wanted to read any reviews or anything for fears of spoil-sies. But general talk from people seems to be pretty positive.

Anonymity, I still have not played Bioshock Infinite and I always dig what you have to say about games. So I appreciated your opinions. I think I've been holding off in hopes of getting a GOTY edition with all the DLC included. Maybe this Summer sale will have a all inclusive deal for things.

Mario Galaxy is totally fun. You have a enjoyable experience ahead of you Marsden.

I recently finished Antichamber and Broken Age part 1. Antichamber was really something else. I reminded me a bit of Portal, in that it's a first person puzzle type game. But the environments made me think of that Halloween episode of the Simpsons where Homer ends up in that weird 3D world. The game messed with my head in different ways. I don't want to spoil things, but it makes you slow down and think in a unique manner. I did have to break down and look up solutions to a few things.

Broken Age seemed neat. I waited quite a bit before I got around to playing it. I really thought the Art-style was great. It's been a while since I played a point and click game, so it was a nice change of pace for me. I got through the entire game fine except for the last two puzzles. I missed one important item that I never even knew about, and must have had some glitch occur because I totally tried the solution to one puzzle and it didn't work, so I checked online and redid things and it went fine. The ending was a bit of a cliffhanger, and I'm looking forward to playing the next part now.

I'm enjoying Super Mario Galaxy a lot more now that I've figured out how to use Ocarina to cheat and give me infinite health, so then when I miss jumping on top of an enemy due to the weird gravity physics and it promptly smacks me from behind before I can figure out which direction is which I don't get anywhere near as frustrated 'cause I've lost one of my three precious health barriers due to (in my personal opinion) some wonky game mechanics.

Now I can just focus on the platforming, which is actually pretty good.

I was playing around with Shufflepuck Cantina today. *tips hat at Darth Marsden*

I really love everything about the idea of this game. It's got huge throwbacks to all kinds of sci-fi classics in its characters (Star Wars being the biggest influence), and playing air hockey against bar patrons brings back fond memories of shuffling pucks inside of the Akuda Bar in one of my beloved favorites, Beyond Good & Evil.

I do have my gripes, though. For one thing, the table seems way too small. It's REALLY small. So your reaction window sometimes seems next to non-existent, which doesn't add up well against opponent AI that is already pretty brutal. But I'm learning to deal with that more as I play it. Still, this table cannot possibly be up to regulation. (Maybe they don't care about regulation in space?) Also, sweeping a mouse over a desktop isn't a 1-to-1 match with sweeping a paddle over an air hockey table. Air hockey paddles aren't anchored to wires, for example, nor resting on top of mousepads. The game does not seem at all concerned with such differences.

My other two gripes are more serious, though. The first one has to do with the fickle hit box of your paddle. Your paddle is basically a big rectangle, but the hit detection appears to only be the forward line of the rectangle. Consequently, it is WAY too easy to accidentally hook the puck instead of hitting it, knocking it backward and scoring the point for your opponent. Also, if you finish a round with an opponent and get the "PLAY AGAIN?" menu, and you click "YES", but then you impatiently start to wiggling the mouse as you wait for the menu to drop and take you back to the table, then you're asking for trouble. The game drops the puck and activates the table BEFORE the menu finishes dropping, so you can accidentally knock the puck backward into your own goal before the game even starts, giving your opponent a free point. But it doesn't stop there. When your opponent scores a point and the little droid comes and drops the puck onto your side of the table, the game deactivates your paddle as the puck is being dropped, so you can move it, but there is not contact. Then, a moment after the puck is on the table, the game activates your paddle again. Yet again, we run into the same problem. Since you can MOVE your deactivated paddle, it's totally possible to wiggle it all around as you wait for the puck to drop (the impatient among us will absolutely do this), and your ghost paddle just phases right through the puck, but then when it suddenly kicks back on, it hooks the puck and throws it backward into your goal, giving your opponent a free point. If you're patient and mindful, this will never happen to you. All I'm saying is that IT'S WAY TOO EASY TO HOOK THE PUCK, and that is probably something that could be touched up. Just saying.

Second gripe: just finished playing a duel against the bartender robot on the first floor, and I set the duel to "challenge" instead of "training", because---the UI told me---if I scored a perfect victory on a challenge duel against this opponent, I would get a gold medal. I scored a perfect 4 - 0 victory against him. What I got: silver medal. What...?

It's a beautiful game and oozing with charm, which I love. But it's a hard game, and some apparent clunkiness around the edges (literally, the paddle edges) and the small size of the table seems to make it even harder than it intends to be.

Or maybe it intends to be like that? Who's to say.

Them's my feels so far.

Played that CreaVures game earlier. While you fight the controls like the NES days, and the story is very mediocre, I also don't think this game deserves the 55 Metacritic gave it. The game looks great, is designed great and is a decent platformer. I would have given it a 70. It was worth the buck or two it cost me.

Why there is a random achievement referencing South Park, I do not know("It's comin' right for us!" for hitting an animal that is off-screen).