Double Fine Action Forums

More X-Com

Damn! My epic run just got so much more epic!

So I've been investing in Titan armour for my squad and got MEC2s for my two mecs, and I have a whole squad of maxed out rank soldiers.

So I decided I would try to take down Exalt because they were annoying me.

Here's where it gets really epic.

So from the start of the attack I just have my sniper sitting on top of the building, waiting to attack from above, while my other guys start to flush out the Exalt soldiers inside.

So I had them pick of the Exalt soldiers near the front and middle, then there were like 5 of them hanging out at the back together.

What I did was so risky yet the payoff was fantastic.

I had my sniper jump down into the middle of the building, and due to her final ability to chain attack whenever she kills, she kills two exalt soldiers at full health with 100% critical, then severely damages the last one. So that's two and a half kills.

They then fire at her, miss, then she continues her onslaught. Boom! One down, boom, another, and boom!

Best goddamn unit in my squad.

Mario Kart 8. Currently trying to triple star everything. I keep getting shafted now. I have 5 cups left to upgrade from 2 stars and then that's it. But Goddamm is it infuriating.

More X-Com

So I've been investing in Titan armour for my squad and got MEC2s for my two mecs, and I have a whole squad of maxed out rank soldiers.

So from the start of the attack I just have my sniper sitting on top of the building, waiting to attack from above, while my other guys start to flush out the Exalt soldiers inside.

So I had them pick of the Exalt soldiers near the front and middle, then there were like 5 of them hanging out at the back together.

I had my sniper jump down into the middle of the building, and due to her final ability to chain attack whenever she kills, she kills two exalt soldiers at full health with 100% critical, then severely damages the last one. So that's two and a half kills.

They then fire at her, miss, then she continues her onslaught. Boom! One down, boom, another, and boom!

With the risk of people starting rant about everything they might not have liked about the new XCOM, I must concur here and say that they nailed the feeling of making your soldiers feel special. With the customization options, the abilities and how the missions play out, they get some real personality, and you really want to keep them alive. Almost like the characters in Jagged Alliance 2.

More X-Com

With the risk of people starting rant about everything they might not have liked about the new XCOM, I must concur here and say that they nailed the feeling of making your soldiers feel special. With the customization options, the abilities and how the missions play out, they get some real personality, and you really want to keep them alive. Almost like the characters in Jagged Alliance 2.

I know people complain it got simplified compared to the original, but really is that such a bad thing?

I've tried playing the original X-Com before. It's insane! The difficulty ramps up immediately and the game does a terrible job in telling you HOW to play or HOW the interface works. (I guess all that must be in the manual)

The new XCOM is really good at introducing new concepts and customisation options over time. But it is STILL a pretty challenging game and really strategic. Especially when it comes to resource management.

The other reason why I wanted Exalt killed was because I'm running out of resources. I can't do any research or any item building because I don't have any meld, or alloys, or weapon fragments, so there's not much else to do now except keep fighting aliens with my current squad and hopefully get enough materials to eventually upgrade those other members.

(Capturing aliens is also something I might need to do more of. I need to capture one as part of an objective, but I also could do with materials and free plasma weapons, and research bonuses)

I know people complain it got simplified compared to the original, but really is that such a bad thing?

I don't think so. I think it's great that they did their own take on the old formula, instead of the exact same thing again. I would have liked a bit more complexity in the strategic layer, but I like the battles much more then in the old XCOM version. It's not flawless, but still one of my favorite games released in the last couple of years.

Double Dragon Neon

Supringsly decent. It's pretty much a joke about itself and the 80's, but it's still a pretty fun old school brawler, with a good abilities system, pretty high difficulty and great music. I bought a double pack for 6 or 7€, and it's definitely worth more than that.

Started playing fallout NV:UE that i got from the steam sale, I never got around to getting the dlc so I was happy to get it. Also been adding mods to it from nexus, any good ones you guys can suggest?

I play the game mostly vanilla, but I do run some mods like a handful of radio extensions (Mojave Extended, Mysterious Broadcast Extended, Secret Stash), Afterschool Special, New Vegas Strip Open, Freeside Open, and a whole bunch of mods that restore cut content which can be found here.

I ended up disabling it because I had trouble getting the nights in this mod to not be so dark, but Nevada Skies is a pretty good one if you think you'd like overhauled weather and new skyboxes.

Thanks syd, I'll have to check those ones. I also got the Marcus companion mod to which is awesome.

Still really digging Mercenary Kings from the Summer Sale. Sorry, other PC games. I'll get around to you... sometime.

On consoles, I just started up Eternal Sonata. It's extremely linear, but the battle system is cool and the art is amazing. It has a lot of extremely long cutscenes (not unlike Xenosaga, for comparison), and some of these very long cutscenes are only tangents, barely tied to the actual game/story in some loose "thematic" way.

For example, when exploring the second area of the game---a forest---you watch a cutscene in which the characters discuss that it's starting to rain. Then, I kid you not, there is a 5 minute cutscene that is a series of still photographs (i.e. actual photographs, not art assets) with a voice over telling a historical anecdote about the famous pianist Chopin and how he composed a song about rain drops right before he died. It has nothing to do with ANYTHING. But it was starting to rain, so raindrops. Get it? Don't worry, you can skip them.

It seems like a nice JRPG so far, though. I'm digging it. Awesome art/effects, though. Some of these cutscenes look amazing.

WHERE MAH JRPG RENAISSANCE?!

Still really digging Mercenary Kings from the Summer Sale. Sorry, other PC games. I'll get around to you... sometime.

On consoles, I just started up Eternal Sonata. It's extremely linear, but the battle system is cool and the art is amazing. It has a lot of extremely long cutscenes (not unlike Xenosaga, for comparison), and some of these very long cutscenes are only tangents, barely tied to the actual game/story in some loose "thematic" way.

For example, when exploring the second area of the game---a forest---you watch a cutscene in which the characters discuss that it's starting to rain. Then, I kid you not, there is a 5 minute cutscene that is a series of still photographs (i.e. actual photographs, not art assets) with a voice over telling a historical anecdote about the famous pianist Chopin and how he composed a song about rain drops right before he died. It has nothing to do with ANYTHING. But it was starting to rain, so raindrops. Get it? Don't worry, you can skip them.

It seems like a nice JRPG so far, though. I'm digging it. Awesome art/effects, though. Some of these cutscenes look amazing.

WHERE MAH JRPG RENAISSANCE?!

Thanks syd, I'll have to check those ones. I also got the Marcus companion mod to which is awesome.

It may be worth mentioning that Freeside Open is probably the most potentially problematic of those mods, it has occasionally caused issues with AI pathing in Freeside, and it's very hard to undo what it does to saves, so be cautious with that one if you decide to try it.

Never had any issues with New Vegas Strip Open, though.

Long Live the Queen.

This game is probably the hardest game I've played in some time.

I was a badass strategist. I had all the intel on everyone. The forces of nature would *literally* bow to my will.

And I died because I didn't know how to do a good flower arrangement.

Long Live the Queen is a game that heavily favours you figuring out where paths take you, what you need to counter the events down that path, and repeated trial and error play to get to that path and beyond. Sometimes you find out that you need to step back not just a single, but two or three steps to be able to find any of the working solutions. Maybe more if you haven't kept your stats balanced.

It's not hard so much as relying on your knowledge of the future that a certain path brings, since everything happens identically for every path on repeated runs. Lack of knowledge of the future in that game is the killer, not any skill. Thus I would say that isn't not so much hard as unforgiving.

Personally, I've been playing Magicite lately. And it might just be my "I'm not leaving this area until I've cleaned it out" tendency, but I'm crap at it. I have only gotten to fifth zone so far in my best run, and the vast majority of runs I die on zone one because I tried to clear that last enemy when I was already down to one health...

God Hand is still amazing and probably my favorite PS2 game of all time. One of the main antagonists is fat elvis. As you can tell, God Hand is a very serious and deep game.

Now that I'm through with Viewtiful Joe 1, I'm playing God Hand alongside Okami and the original Devil May Cry. Devil May Cry 1 is a really good action game mechanically, it's really fun to play when the camera isn't making it impossible to see during boss fights. Really, DMC1 and God Hand have me convinced that Shinji Mikami is way better at directing action games than he is at directing horror games like Resident Evil 1 & 2.

Devil May Cry 1 is a really good action game mechanically, it's really fun to play when the camera isn't making it impossible to see during boss fights.

I started the series with DMC3, then I tried to go back to DMC1. I couldn't finish it because of the camera bullsh*t. Did not have the patience. Decided to just pretend like DMC3 was the first game.

I just started playing Kingdoms of Alumar: Reckoning as a sort of pre-darksouls warmup, so I won't be super frustrated by a *completely* different playstyle from what I'm used to.
Dark Souls plays completely differently from Amalur though. Amalur is more of a kind of button mashy, fast paced character action game stuffed into an RPG. Dark Souls is all about figuring out when to strike, and animation priority. They're both action RPGs, but in completely different ways.

It's more the "Oh gods what is this dodge thing." and getting used to crowed control in a third-person action RPG.

BTW, which class do you think is more beginner friendly for Dark Souls? I usually play as a SURPRISE MAGE!* when possible, but for dark souls I think I would be best off with the newbie-friendlyish class.

*Magic, sneak attacks, sniping and summoning. Oh and AI exploitation, but that just happens naturally in every game I play. >_>;

I actually haven't played too much Dark Souls, because it worked once on my PC and then refused to run again. I've heard one of the mage classes is actually kind of broken though and super newbie friendly.

I just started playing Kingdoms of Alumar: Reckoning as a sort of pre-darksouls warmup, so I won't be super frustrated by a *completely* different playstyle from what I'm used to.
Dark Souls plays completely differently from Amalur though. Amalur is more of a kind of button mashy, fast paced character action game stuffed into an RPG. Dark Souls is all about figuring out when to strike, and animation priority. They're both action RPGs, but in completely different ways.

It's more the "Oh gods what is this dodge thing." and getting used to crowed control in a third-person action RPG.

BTW, which class do you think is more beginner friendly for Dark Souls? I usually play as a SURPRISE MAGE!* when possible, but for dark souls I think I would be best off with the newbie-friendlyish class.

*Magic, sneak attacks, sniping and summoning. Oh and AI exploitation, but that just happens naturally in every game I play. >_>;

I actually haven't played too much Dark Souls, because it worked once on my PC and then refused to run again. I've heard one of the mage classes is actually kind of broken though and super newbie friendly.

I'm playing as a wanderer because they're supposed to be pretty adaptable, so noobs can figure out if they like magic, archery, and/or agile meele.

I can't figure out how to parry or kick, and the light/heavy attack buttons are reversed from what I'm used to, so the first undead with a shield kicked my ass a few times because I'd miss the attack window after blocking him by accidentally using a heavy attack, and then get stun locked. 8^(

Eventually, I figured out how to doge behind him and crit'd him to death.

1 year late but I started playing Animal Crossing New Leaf yesterday. Oh my god where is my time going? It's melting.

WHY WOULD YOU DO THAT! YOU FOOL!

Y-y-y-your cursed now! CURSED I SAY!

THAT GAME WILL RUIN YOU!

I continue to enjoy Eternal Sonata for it's not-too-complex but nonetheless pleasant little battle system. I wish there were more exploration and less infinite hallway, though.

And I finally couldn't say no to Shovel Knight any longer. Picked that up today instead of fourth-of-july-ing. It's a good game. Here is how I would describe shovel knight: Duck Tales + Ghouls n' Ghosts + Dark Souls.

I mean, what else do you need to know?

Deus Ex: Human Revolution - Director's Cut: Quest for a Longer Title

It's a great game, but it's laggy as f**k, and I've tried everything I can to fix it to no avail. BAH!

Also, a new issue is that sometimes the audio will screw up and I'll have to quit the game to fix it. Awesome.

I continue to enjoy Eternal Sonata for it's not-too-complex but nonetheless pleasant little battle system. I wish there were more exploration and less infinite hallway, though.

I just wish the dialog was better written, if they're going to make the player sit through so much of it.

I just wish the dialog was better written, if they're going to make the player sit through so much of it.

Well, technically you don't HAVE to. All cutscenes are skippable. But for as beautiful as the characters and the art look, yes, it would be great if they weren't totally vapid.

But how many JRPGs can you honestly name that have good/intelligent stories and where the characters AREN'T totally vapid? This has never been their strong suit, and when they attempt to do it, they target an adolescent audience, which means an audience much more easily impressed than us.

For example, there is a scene in Eternal Sonata where the character talk about the three different nations at war, and that it's not clear whether there is a good guy or bad guy in the war. Maybe there is no good guy. Maybe they're all right. Maybe they're all wrong. And one character says something to the effect of, "If there is no clear good or bad, then how can there be justice?!?!"

If I were 12, that observation probably would have been interesting to me. But I'm 30, and so instead it just sounds like something a twelve year old would find interesting.

So yeah, I agree, but Eternal Sonata is not alone. I can't at the moment think of a JRPG story or a set of JRPG characters that I would hold up as particularly stellar.

The Persona series is probably the best place to go for characters, but even characters in those games can be dull and/or immature.

Broforce

Thought it would be a bit of novelty fun, for some minutes before the bro humour gets old.

It doesn't. This is a pretty brilliant game. It doesn't have tight controls or fantastic level design, but damnit, if this isn't just pure fun. So much lovely 80's action movie destruction in fantastic pixel graphics where each playthrough in a level offers something new and unexpected.

Failing a level has seldom been this much fun, where every new attempt is just an opportunity to cause mayhem in a different way.

How much is shovel knight and what platforms is it on?

$15. It's available worldwide on PC, and on 3DS and WiiU in NA.

How much is shovel knight and what platforms is it on?

$15 on Steam. It just came out and is selling like hot cakes at full price, so I wouldn't expect a huge discount any time soon.

Don't know what the price point is on the other platforms, but I doubt it's much different.

Back again to talk more about Eternal Sonata. Let's stop a moment to discuss how much sense the "story" in this game DOESN'T make.

Here is a bulleted list of facts I've learned so far. See how long it takes you to say, "Huh..?"

--Everything bought and sold in the kingdom gets highly taxed.

--"Mineral Powder", a cure-all wonder drug, is the only exception. It doesn't get taxed at all.

--People naturally LOVE mineral powder. It cures everything! And it's so darn cheap!

--Wait a minute, why is mineral powder the ONLY thing the king doesn't tax?

--Oh, because actually mineral powder turns people into mindless hostile zombies, and the king is selling it tax exempt to trick people into buying a lot of it in order to intentionally turn them all into mindless hostile zombies so that he can use them as soldiers in his army!

....huh?

HE IS THE KING. If he's such a terrible dictator, and he wants someone to be in his army, he could just put them in it? It doesn't require a huge convoluted scheme. He has absolute power. Who is he trying to trick? Himself? If it's absolutely essential to make people take this drug to improve their performance or whatever, he could just put it in his soldiers' rations and not tell them. You know?

But no. NO. Clearly the best way for a king to have an army is to pay for a huge mining operation to extract and refine mineral powder, then aggressively manipulate sales taxes to trick people into buying it, then wait for people to start turning into zombies, then have some of your non-zombie soldiers sneak in and abduct them.

This is very dumb. Even if I were twelve I would think this was dumb.

Why can't video games story????

Back again to talk more about Eternal Sonata. Let's stop a moment to discuss how much sense the "story" in this game DOESN'T make.

Here is a bulleted list of facts I've learned so far. See how long it takes you to say, "Huh..?"

--Everything bought and sold in the kingdom gets highly taxed.

--"Mineral Powder", a cure-all wonder drug, is the only exception. It doesn't get taxed at all.

--People naturally LOVE mineral powder. It cures everything! And it's so darn cheap!

--Wait a minute, why is mineral powder the ONLY thing the king doesn't tax?

--Oh, because actually mineral powder turns people into mindless hostile zombies, and the king is selling it tax exempt to trick people into buying a lot of it in order to intentionally turn them all into mindless hostile zombies so that he can use them as soldiers in his army!

....huh?

HE IS THE KING. If he's such a terrible dictator, and he wants someone to be in his army, he could just put them in it? It doesn't require a huge convoluted scheme. He has absolute power. Who is he trying to trick? Himself? If it's absolutely essential to make people take this drug to improve their performance or whatever, he could just put it in his soldiers' rations and not tell them. You know?

But no. NO. Clearly the best way for a king to have an army is to pay for a huge mining operation to extract and refine mineral powder, then aggressively manipulate sales taxes to trick people into buying it, then wait for people to start turning into zombies, then have some of your non-zombie soldiers sneak in and abduct them.

This is very dumb. Even if I were twelve I would think this was dumb.

Why can't video games story????

Let's not forget the ending of the Ill Girl Who's Name I Can't Remembers storyline!