Double Fine Action Forums

Just finished the three available levels in the Lego Batman 3 Season Pass.

In brief: Don't bother unless, like the core game, it's at least half price.

In boxers: two fairly small levels and one two-parter (Dark Knight Trilogy - which is a big ol' misnomer, since it's only the Batmobile chase from the middle of The Dark Knight), none of which'll last you more than 10 minutes. They're not that interesting, have unskippable into cutscenes (STOP DOING THIS, GAMES), include a few new characters you'll never use and generally aren't worth the full price they're asking. Much like Lego Batman 3 itself, they've got some cute ideas, but the execution is lacking. Don't even consider paying for this unless it's half price or lower.

A little more then 12h of Dragon Age: Inquisition, and I don't know what to think about it. Awesome sceneries and characters, and a pretty descent story, but quests and battles that feels too much like an MMO. I don't seem to be able to quit it, but it really isn't something I should spend time with.

I'm pretty confused to as why some reviewers haven't called this game out on some of the bullshit it comes draggin with. There are tons of stuff to do, to inflate gametime, and yet it insists on more padding when there's no need for it. If I'm into in a pretty intense and diffcult main quest section, don't make go fetch 5 of X suddently, for no good reasons whatsoever.

F*ck it, I'm starting it again.....

A little more then 12h of Dragon Age: Inquisition, and I don't know what to think about it. Awesome sceneries and characters, and a pretty descent story, but quests and battles that feels too much like an MMO. I don't seem to be able to quit it, but it really isn't something I should spend time with.

I'm pretty confused to as why some reviewers haven't called this game out on some of the bullshit it comes draggin with. There are tons of stuff to do, to inflate gametime, and yet it insists on more padding when there's no need for it. If I'm into in a pretty intense and diffcult main quest section, don't make go fetch 5 of X suddently, for no good reasons whatsoever.

F*ck it, I'm starting it again.....

So... what you're saying is, this one should be called Draggin' Age?

From what I understand, get out of the grindy areas as fast as possible, and the game becomes much better

It does get better, but the amount of nonsense busy work is ridiculous. 5 of these! 10 of these! Now give me 3 of those! :) And when you close your 20th fade rifts, it starts to feel a bit less dramatic. You can really see how they have tried to tick of every possible item in the feature to draw all kinds of gamers. You have MMO battles and content, castle upgrades, relationship dramas, Skyrim sized areas, etc. You gotta give the developers a lof of credit for how they managed to fit all these things in a product, and made it feel coherent and logic.

And there is of course lots of good content in the game.

Hade quite some fun with just breaking the combat system in the fights also. Like with one boss where I clearly wasn't good enough to beat him, but still managed by running around in circles and taunting him, who wasn't quick enough to catch up :). It was like watching out of form security guards, at a football game, chasing a pitch invader.

Even though a lot of the game isn't for me, some really are, and based on the amount of content and the production values, it's one of these games where a price higher then $60 would not be wrong.

Hyrule Warriors + Shin Megami Tensei IV

Playing some more campaign levels of Hyrule Warriors.

I definitely do enjoy playing this game. It's not overly hard, as long as you're fast and can target the right places to go and focus only on the key enemies.

It's a nice 'n casual game to chill out to in the evening.

As for Shin Megami Tensei IV:

I'm like level 53 and I now have to find Walter who's gone awol in search of a lead from the Black Samurai. Not sure whether to go catch up immediately or do more sidequests.

Replaying the very first Assassin's Creed so I can go through the entire gosh-darn series. Because I'm an idiot like that.

Anyway. After alerting a guard to my presence by riding my horse too close to him, I jump off my horse and try to hide in a bale of hay. Instead I jump back on the horse... and the game just freezes.

Assassin's Creed glitches? Nothing new there! #IJustGotUbisofted

Ballpoint Universe: Infinite. This game I got from an Indie Royale bundle surprised me - it's got a kind of wonky control scheme for mouse, which I played for the majority of my play time. And mouse controlled space shoot'em'up combined with a platforming overworld works really nice for it. It doesn't coral the mouse pointer so if you play in windowed it exceedingly easy to click outside the game area, though. I really like the aesthetic, and the shmup gameplay is solid, the platforming a bit less so.

Usually the games in Indie Royale haven't impressed me that much, so this one was a nice surprise for me.

Played a bit more of Dreamfall: Chapters - Book One, and I'm struggling to progress in it. Not because it's hard, but because I just don't care for it. It's a game made with a lot of effort and passion, no doubt, but as a game it's not entertaining. The puzzles are lame, the pace is really slow and I hate having to run back and forth in hub cities like that. They would have been much better of just using a map and focus on the central locations like in the Monkey Island games.

It's one of these games makes me feel that most developers never really understand what made the best adventure games really good, and just think that any kind of story and puzzle combination will do.

And maybe my lack of interest in what's happening also have a lot to do with me not really remembering that much of what was going on in The Longest Journey and Dreamfall. Which is why you shouldn't end your game with a whole pile of cliffhangers if you're not certain that the next part will be done in the near future.

As for Shin Megami Tensei IV:

I'm like level 53 and I now have to find Walter who's gone awol in search of a lead from the Black Samurai. Not sure whether to go catch up immediately or do more sidequests.

This is going to be a real spoiler! But you might need it.

I see we chose the same path at that point. Unless you want to do the neutral route sidequests are mostly unimportant. You are a bit over level anyway. Folowing Walter leads to two new worlds that cannot be revisited. If you want all the sidequests there you need to stock up on DIS-Poison (15x) and Medicine (15x as well) You will not find enough of those there to complete the request. In the second world it's finally time to grind too! You will approach the end here really fast. If you are on route to neutrality (ask the cynical man for your alignment) you should make sure you completed the following sidequests first:

Eggs for One Hundred

I Want to Make the City Bright

Deliver the Film

Samurai and Hunters United

Hunter Tournament Prelims

Phantom of Madness

Shelter Inspection

Ikebukuro Free District

Demon Guarding the Shrine

Hunter Tournament Finals

Serial Kidnapping + Arson

I Will Give You My Black Card

The Great Drunkenness

Take A Picture of Ginza for Me

In the Hunter Tournaments you can adjust your alignment a bit by being mercyful or killing your oponents.

Thanks for the advice.

I checked my alignment and realised I was too good, so I decided to do the hunter tournament finals and kill everyone there, and it's put me back on neutral. I hear to get the neutral end, it's better to be a little evil leading up to it because it's much easier to gain good points at that late stage of the game than it is for evil

The Wolf Among Us (Episode 1)

Interesting story (which I've already seen on Youtube), which is why I bought this. Why can I no longer use the mouse buttons for the Q & E promts (like in TWDS1) gaaaaah. I need 3 hands for these QTEs. (Mouse + arrow keys + Q&E)

Really liked it. Thought they managed to keep the quality up for the whole season.

Super Smash Bros. on the Wii U.

Totally having fun getting my ass handed to me on the 1v1s.

I think I got a good feeling for Mario, Captain Falcon, Yoshi, and Mr.Game and Watch though.

I think I got a good feeling for Mario, Captain Falcon, Yoshi, and Mr.Game and Watch though.

I'm playing Lucario most of the time in Team for glory matches

get my damage up to 130% then just laugh as you launch everything off stage. Spam counter and it rains insta KO's

if the match ends in sudden death, his forward smash is the most powerful in game.

Bought Mario, Peach, Samus and Link Amiibo. They feel kind of pointless besides being overpriced DLC

I'm playing Lucario most of the time in Team for glory matches

get my damage up to 130% then just laugh as you launch everything off stage. Spam counter and it rains insta KO's

if the match ends in sudden death, his forward smash is the most powerful in game.

Bought Mario, Peach, Samus and Link Amiibo. They feel kind of pointless besides being overpriced DLC

As much as I entertained the thought of having a torture chamber survival test with the amiibos, and gladiator style brawls, they just look too nice in their boxes to open in my opinion.

Mine are going to stay looking pretty on my wardrobe. :D

(And I'm going to collect ONLY the characters I like in each wave so I don't end up spending insane amounts. Ironically it's STILL cheaper to collect these than to collect LEGO))

Currently playing through Far Cry 4.

It's a pretty fun first person shooter, and that's refreshing during a time in which ive grown tired of most FPSs.

Kingdom Hearts: BBS Final Mix

Managed to beat Master Eraquas as Terra at level 24 on Proud Mode.

Jesus Christ! That was terrifying!:o

EDIT: Managed to get all the way to the final boss on level 24, but as soon as I get hit by two attacks in a row I'm TOAST! :o

I'm hoping switching in my potions over curaga may help me win, but I doubt it. >_>

(Don't really want to go back and grind. I need to move on to the next characters soon, then I can focus on the Sora storyline)

Sonic Boom: Shattered Dimensions (aka: the one on the 3DS).

It's not terrible.

The cutscenes go on WAY too long (seriously, is there no way to make the text scroll faster?), the levels can get pretty confusing at times since it all looks the bloody same and being forced to replay levels to get all the collectables so you can get trophies which you need to unlock new levels is a MASSIVE dick move, but it's not exactly awful. At the very least it's playable, so it's better than the WiiU one by default.

Oh, and simply jumping at an enemy results in you getting hurt - you HAVE to do the homing attack on them to defeat them. Words cannot describe how utterly wrong this feels... especially since the lock-on feature doesn't actually seem to lock on half the time. GRR.

I'm back from the pits of hell to say that Xenogears is pretty dang great and even if it falls apart towards the end I've found the game interesting, cool and fun enough so far that I won't regret the time I've spent playing through it.

Honestly, after that whole scene on the floating island with the giant fighting robot battle, I don't think anything can make me regret playing this beautiful mess of cool and mostly well-executed stuff.

Playing fez and <3 ing it.

FEZ is awesome.

I'm currently playing The Talos Principle, iO and Prelogate. Should be playing games from my backlog. TTP is great. Reviewers call it the game of the year and the best 3D puzzler since the original Portal, and I'm inclined to agree with at least the latter sentiment.

Not sure what I'm playing now. I've got plenty of games, but I'm still looking for something small, released this year, that I haven't played yet.

*The Vanishing of Ethan Carter

*The Talos Principle

*Transistor

*Spintires

*Abyss Odyssey

*Dungeon of the Endless

are all valid alternatives right now. Not sure which one to pick though. Talos Principle looks interesting, but I don't really like the art style in it when I look at it.

Also a bit interested in the following early access games:

*Chaos Reborn

*Road Redemption

*Satellite Reign

*Wreckfest

I'd go for Transistor if I were you. It's a pretty short game, but it's beautiful on so many planes. And if you want to fully examine all it's details, you need to play it multiple times.

Played half an hour of Just Cause 2 earlier today. It really is a brilliant game. One of the best sandbox games. It is a bit guilty of the "10 of these! 15 of those!" stupidity, but mostly is just a fun sandbox. You wreck havoc, and the havoc and the fun means progress in the game.

All developers should study and learn from Just Cause 2. It's far from perfect, but it has so many awesome well executed ideas.

Just bought this dorky little Indie title called Ghost Control last night.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/280540/

Why I bought it:

I've only just dipped my toes into it, but I'm very interested in it because it is one of the few games that exists in a genre mashup space that I have an intense hunger for, but for which there are very few titles. I of course speak of the RPG fused with the business simulation.

I don't know how it is possible that there are not more games of this type. The RPG genre itself is at least a metaphor for capitalism if not an extended love letter to capitalism. Why not just add some overt capitalism to a genre that is already about capitalism?

I've always commented that even RPGs that are seemingly eternal (e.g. Elder Scrolls) start to feel samey after a while and need a more clearly demarcated overarching goal of some kind that all of this looting and questing always plugs back into. Solution: business simulation. Let's be honest: all you're doing in the Elder Scrolls the vast majority of the time is looting dungeons, selling. Gathering resources to upgrade to better equips, selling your old equips. Acquire, sell, acquire, sell, acquire sell. Soon you're sitting on a big pile of money and have the best equipment in the game. You just keep acquiring more money and have nothing left to spend it on. Why not introduce a business sim there?

Games like Recettear are a godsend. FINALLY, someone gets it! But it's just one interpretation of how this amazing mashup can go.

Ghost Control is another interpretation. This is a tactical RPG instead of an action RPG, though. And the business sim has a little more of a "tycoon" flavor than Recettear's emphasis on sales and haggling. But still, same idea. You get to play the business sim part, but you also get to play the actual RPG part.

About Ghost Control / Initial Impressions

So far both the RPG side and the business sim side seem sort of light, but I only have two employees right now and haven't been able to upgrade my HQ hardly at all yet. Once I have a full roster and more things to do at my HQ, I can imagine things getting a little more interesting.

Two biggest annoyances about the game so far:

1) Competing ghostbuster companies that spawn nearer to the mission site and get there before you do. Having other companies to compete with adds an interesting competitive element, but when the competition beats you to the mission site, it's usually just a result of them being lucky enough to be closer to you. It has nothing to do with you "not trying hard enough" or "not being skilled enough". The game will tell you "try to get there faster next time", implying that getting there faster is a thing you can actually do. It isn't. Fortunately, this only seems to happen about 1 in 5 missions. It wouldn't be nearly as annoying, though, if it weren't for....

2) GAS MONEY. You have to drive to missions, to the hospital to heal, to stores to upgrade. You burn gas getting there, and you burn it quickly. This means you are constantly spending money to refill your gas tank. (And naturally, you even burn gas to go get more gas.) You can upgrade your company car eventually (which I'm assuming improves speed and--hopefully--gas mileage), but this is indisputably the most punishing expense to deal with right out of the gate.

Now the cool stuff:

Other aspects of the game seem cool, though. You hire and name recruits. They all have stats. You can equip them and upgrade their equips. Their stats improve as they take part in missions. You can research. You can bottle and sell ectoplasm.

"Battles" (i.e. ghost busting missions) are odd to figure out at first. The game gives only a rough explanation of how its AP system works, but leaves you to figure out the more minute details (e.g. if it costs AP to move and each character has 2 AP, how's come one character can move 8 spaces in a turn and another can move 10?). The main hook of the battle though is that your team has "sanity" (in place of HP) and ghosts have "energy" (ghost HP). You can shoot them with 3 types of proton pack weapons: pull, push, and damage. Damage weapons deal highest damage to ghosts, but don't position them at all. Push/pull weapons deal half the damage (or less) as regular damage weapons, but can push/pull ghosts on the field. Using these weapons, you have to weaken the ghosts to low energy (zero is best, obviously), then throw down a trap to catch the weak ghost. You can either throw it right under a weakened ghost and hope they don't move on their next turn, or you can throw it down near them and use push/pull to position them over the trap. (Or sometimes the ghost will just blunder over the trap for you. Thanks, ghost!)

You can get better traps that can capture ghosts in a wider area, but require them to have much lower energy levels (i.e. wide range, lower success rate to trap). Or you can purchase limited range but strong traps (i.e., ghosts have to be right on top, but very likely to get caught).

So, just like the ghost busters, you sap them of their "energy" and then use your weaponry to drag them over a trap. Their interpretation of this for a tactical RPG is a cool idea. As you acquire more team members, the coordination of push/pull/dmg between team members makes this simple idea more interesting.

Anyway, that's what I'm looking at right now. I don't yet know if I'd recommend $15 for it, but it's feeling like a solid $10 purchase at least. Especially if you're not the type to get grumpy about those 1991 graphics. I'll let you know how I like it as the gameplay evolves, as I suspect it will. User feedback on it is quite positive.