Double Fine Action Forums

In a lot of ways, I love Sonic All Stars more than Mario Kart 8.

Sonic & Allstars Racing Transfomed? Or an older entry in the series?

In a lot of ways, I love Sonic All Stars more than Mario Kart 8.

Sonic & Allstars Racing Transfomed? Or an older entry in the series?

Transformed. I haven't played any others.

Transformed is silly fun, even if I agree that power ups be damned. I was more of a SEGA gamer then Nintendo when younger, so the Golden Axe, Outrun and Afterburner stages are more nostalgia for me then what Nintendo has ever been .

Oh, and it's a heck of a job to get this song out of ones head.

ZFbdwQJXo4I

Transformed is silly fun, even if I agree that power ups be damned. I was more of a SEGA gamer then Nintendo when younger, so the Golden Axe, Outrun and Afterburner stages are more nostalgia for me then what Nintendo has ever been .

Oh, and it's a heck of a job to get this song out of ones head.

ZFbdwQJXo4I

Here's my full review/comparison of MK8 and SASRT, in which I don't do a very good job of hiding my displeasure at Nintendo's idea of game balance:

http://steamcommunity.com/id/genoforprez/recommended/212480/

I have mixed nostalgia for the tracks in Sonic, but I think the Jet Set Radio tracks are probably my favorite. They are just so damn fun to race on.

Metal Gear Solid 1!

First time playing through the series, currently at the final boss and... oh my god this is one of the buggiest boss fights I've ever experienced in a video game.

Rex's hitboxes are completely fucked. I can take a direct hit and it do zero damage, I shot a wall once and that counted as a hit, his laser attack seems to be set up so you take damage only if it just barely misses, so the best way to dodge it is to just... stand still and let it fire. His stomp has damaged me a grand total of once(where it did half my health), and all other times I've walked right through the leg like it didn't even exist. Damage values seem to be randomized for both of us with some direct attacks taking half his health and other times I barely even touch his health bar. The electric grenades(always forget their name), sometimes screw with his aiming, and other times he just ignores it. I've been told his second half reacts to stun grenades but I've yet to see him EVER react to those in that form, and to top it all off, I've technically beaten this boss multiple times, but health bars stopped working so I'm just stuck there.

For a game that's generally had some pretty good and original fights. I'm disappointed how completely unfinished this fight is.

This is the downloaded version on PS3 if that changes anything. I'd hope the remake fixed such blatant problems

1401471074_header.jpg

Just completed Among The Sleep in one sitting. Holy f*** this game is beautiful to look at. I couldn't tell from the credits who their art director was, but s/he needs a raise. This is one of these games you keep playing just so you can LOOK AT more of it.

Steam review here: http://steamcommunity.com/id/genoforprez/recommended/250620/

10/10 is gud

You know how everyone keep telling you that a particular game is sooooo good, and you look at it, and you think: "looks fun, sure, but it can't be that good, can it?".

Rocket League is that good. It really is.

I have mixed nostalgia for the tracks in Sonic, but I think the Jet Set Radio tracks are probably my favorite. They are just so damn fun to race on.

Those tracks didn't do that much for me, but I have a SEGA friend who is "OMG OMG OMG" over those tracks :).

F*ck, why can't any developer just do a new Golden Axe game based on Adder's Lair in this game? :(

gqtakEpUOz0

Poker Night At The Inventory

The rare occasions in which I feel like playing casual games, it's these or the card game in KOTOR2(pazzak?).

I love being on vacation! So much time to try out all the games I've had on backlog. God I miss being a teenager and/or college student and having super long vacations to spend on games.

It's been pretty hit-or-miss with the games over break. I completely dislike every other game, but then I totally dig every game in between. Overall I'm breaking just about even.

Currently giving a shake on this old backlogged title called MASTER REBOOT

master-reboot.jpg

Basically it's just a 3D adventure game in first person. It's visually a pretty simple game in terms of geometry and textures, but the lighting and atmosphere is excellent.

There's no real combat in the game. All you really have is the ability to walk, run, jump, and interact. You end up in this hubworld that is connected to a bunch of different memories, and you go into the memories inception style, and solve some simple adventure gamey type puzzles.

And sometimes while you're exploring and interacting with things, a girl with dark hair and glowing eyes will be kinda stalking you in the distance, or sometimes she'll pop out and scare the bejeezus out of you like a temple guard in Legends Of The Hidden Temple.

I still only vaguely understand what this game is about in story terms. It's kind of surreal. But I think figuring it out is supposed to be part of the experience so *shrug*

It's not bad, though. It took me a little bit to warm up to it (and there was one really annoying jumping puzzle in the park memory), but I think that I like it.

Started giving Outlast a try last night. Only played for a little while, maybe an hour, but here are my initial impressions:

PROS:

+Great atmosphere

+One of the best implementations of a lean-around-corner mechanic I've seen in pretty much any game. Looks/feels great.

CONS:

-Over reliance on cheap jump scares. It's shaping up to be just a cheap jump scare game so far.

-Scary games tend to have gore in them, but the amount of gore here verges on nonsensical/absurd.

-Cliche pseudo-religious cult figure has already shown up. Here we go again.

-Not very many ways to interact other than walk around and be scared of when the next jump scare is coming.

-Protagonist does the I'm-so-scared heavy mouth breathing pretty much non-stop and it kinda gets irritating.

-You have the option to OPEN doors quickly or slowly/quietly, but when you CLOSE a door, the protagonist always slams it closed with all his might. KABOOM! This is literally the only way to close a door. #datstealth

OVERALL:

Looks great and the atmosphere is great, but shaping up to be a horror game that uses every horror game cliche/gimmick in the book. Excellent news if you're a traditionalist, but perhaps not so thrilling if your tastes are more progressive. Over reliance on jump scares probably makes this a great game for the Five Nights At Freddy's kids and the other jump scare twitchers/streamers, but I'm not one of those people, so going this heavy on the jump scares isn't warming me up to the game much.

Trying to give The Last Remnant another go. I remember picking it up around when it first came out, expecting a final fantasy type experience, but I quickly sold it back because it lacked the open exploration FF games typically have, and the battle system was so confusing.

As I'm playing it now, I can still see all the reasons I didn't like it before, but I think perhaps the tutorialization is just very poor. Even the simplest mechanics, such as how to initiate battles with advantage, are given poor / perfunctory explanations, and the player is given basically zero room for practice. There is also a lot of special battle system jargon (it wouldn't be a JRPG without it) that gets thrown at you all at once. One of the most confusing things, however, is that the very first "mission" you go on is almost impossible to complete without a little bit of grinding, but the enemies in the area don't respawn for grinding unless you leave and come back, which the game doesn't bother to tell you that you can do, nor does it even show you the experience you posses/gain (seriously, characters obviously level up, but I've searched all menus and sub-menus and post-battle stats and the XP is apparently not shown in any way at all), and to make it all worse, the boss battle automatically starts once you reach a certain part of the cave, with no warnings or indicators, and auto-save is turned off by default.

So I can definitely see why I was so miffed with it the first time.

But there are a lack of good JRPG-type games on steam. At least ones that aren't insufferable waifu bullsht. So I'm determined to find the good in it. I feel like there must be some good. I just need to figure it out for myself instead of relying on the weak tutorials.

*edit*

From an FAQ about this game:

A union will also be Raidlocked if it broke Deadlock, unless it broke Deadlock to Deadlock another union, in which case it will be Rear Assaulted

Haha, this one sentence pretty much captures the tutorial experience. Lots of words with zero understanding.

So I finally beat Knights Of The Old Republic II. It was a long time coming as on my first attempt, I found a horrible game-breaking bug(cancelling out of a side quest made me unable to complete a story progress mission). Any way, I finally gave it another go. Yeah yeah. Great game with poor endings. You've heard it before. My biggest issue was more with the writing than the ending.

Once they started to explain the issue with your character, it just felt like total bullshit spewing out. Sure they give you the ability to deny it right til the end(even in a "light" play through), but I didn't buy it. I'm not even a huge Star Wars fan. Maybe that's why. I don't know. I just wasn't buying into what they were selling.

I guess it could have been worse. They could have went with the whole "You're the new Jedi Jesus" that's so popular in these games.

KotOR2 has had three game breaking save file breaking bugs for me, once for each time I tried to finish it. None of them even close to similar.

brothers: a tale of two sunz

totally overrated game. it had a few clever moments towards the end but besides that it was just lots of light, insubstantial puzzles. oh and also the only female character that appears for more than 5 seconds on screen

turns out to be an evil spider witch!! oooooh! bros b4 hos!!

totally overrated game. it had a few clever moments towards the end but besides that it was just lots of light, insubstantial puzzles. oh and also the only female character that appears for more than 5 seconds on screen

It is an excellent game, though perhaps a bit overrated. I rolled my eyes at

the part where you are forced to participate in the burial of your own brother. You can't just DEMAND that I feel sad. A little bit contrived there.

. But I actually really enjoyed the rest of the game, despite how simple/easy/light it might have been.

The A Hat in Time beta, which I, uh, "acquired".

's pretty good! Looking forward to the finished game, where it'll hopefully be easier to grab onto ladders.

the part where you are forced to participate in the burial of your own brother. You can't just DEMAND that I feel sad. A little bit contrived there.

. But I actually really enjoyed the rest of the game, despite how simple/easy/light it might have been.

yeah i think what bothered me was how it felt like the game was really pushing for that sort of emotional moment without really earning it, imo. it felt like soap opera melodrama. look, people are dying! isn't it sad? so sad? are you sad yet!? next time on days of our lives: a sad thing happens. whew, the price is right is on now.

i dunno. maybe i just wasn't in the right mood for it. but i feel like this is an example of a story that is merely good for a video game, and i'm becoming increasingly tired of that. i think there was one moment in the whole game that felt genuinely interesting to me, and that's just not enough when i'm putting 3-4 hours into it.

i'm thinking of the moment when you have to hold down the left trigger to make the older brother's spirit or whatever help the younger brother swim. that was clever.

yeah i think what bothered me was how it felt like the game was really pushing for that sort of emotional moment without really earning it, imo. it felt like soap opera melodrama. look, people are dying! isn't it sad? so sad? are you sad yet!? next time on days of our lives: a sad thing happens. whew, the price is right is on now.

i dunno. maybe i just wasn't in the right mood for it. but i feel like this is an example of a story that is merely good for a video game, and i'm becoming increasingly tired of that. i think there was one moment in the whole game that felt genuinely interesting to me, and that's just not enough when i'm putting 3-4 hours into it.

i'm thinking of the moment when you have to hold down the left trigger to make the older brother's spirit or whatever help the younger brother swim. that was clever.

Oh yeaaah. I forgot about that part. I thought that was pretty cool as well. I'd say the game was at its strongest when it was just about two brothers leaving home for the first time, getting away from the familiar, and going out into a huge marvelous world for the first time and being fascinated/imperiled by the marvelous things that exist out there. I also really liked how the just-for-fun interactions really highlighted the brothers' differences in personality and age, where the little brother was like this immature, mischievous little monster, and the older brother still had a playful/fun side, but he had a more mature type of curiosity and a more mature sense of respect and responsibility. I'm a brother myself, and I enjoyed watching these two co-op with each other on an incredible journey.

The game was definitely at its weakest when it was trying to be sad. For one thing, I spent zero time with the dad, so his sobbing at the end didn't really mean anything to me. They could have put Villager #7 there sobbing instead, and it would have meant about the same.

But probably the biggest thing was the way it demanded you to act out the sadness it expected you to feel, even if you didn't actually feel it. As a comparison, let's bring up mine and hot's favorite topic: the horse in SotC. Lots of people thought that was one of the saddest moments they ever experienced in a game (but probably less so if they heard about it beforehand). I know that when I first played the game, I was at the very least shocked and greatly dismayed by it. But do you know what would have ruined it for me? If SotC would have forced me through an unskippable sequence of actions where I had to slowly and lugubriously bury my dead horse. If SotC would have made me "press X to hang head in sadness" and then "rotate right analog stick to make tears flow" etc, then that would have ruined it for me.

There was a really good game dev talk several years ago making the point that game mechanics can be powerfully expressive, but despite what well-intentioned and ambitious game devs might want to believe, there are certain things you probably just cannnot or should not express as game mechanics. For example, no matter how hard I tried, I could not make a video game in which the game mechanics expressed sadness at the murder of one of your best friends. *Technically* I could do it, but it would be woefully insufficient at best or insulting/insensitive at worst.

That's not to say that you can't have death in a game or that it's impossible for players to feel sad about death in a game. It's just probably a very bad idea to attempt to gamify the sadness one feels toward death, which is the mistake I think Brothers makes.

Played a bit of Sid Meier's Pirates! (2005), and now I'm sad that it hasn't inspired more games. :\

It's such a brilliant concept, that ought to work well with so many trends among games today, RPG mechanics, roguelike elements, etc.

That remake, and the original, are definitely among my favorite games of all time., and I can really only think of Mount&Blade;, and maybe the recent Rebel Galaxy, as game that feels similiar to this.

Played a bit of Sid Meier's Pirates! (2005), and now I'm sad that it hasn't inspired more games. :\

It's such a brilliant concept, that ought to work well with so many trends among games today, RPG mechanics, roguelike elements, etc.

That remake, and the original, are definitely among my favorite games of all time., and I can really only think of Mount&Blade;, and maybe the recent Rebel Galaxy, as game that feels similiar to this.

Have you played Windward? It's available on GOG and Steam and there's an interesting article about the game on Gamasutra, with this quote from the developer:

I just walked up to Sid Meier and I basically asked him, ‘Can I ['copy'] your Pirates! game?’ And he’s like, ‘Yeah! Go for it! It’s cool,'

Have you played Windward? It's available on GOG and Steam and there's an interesting article about the game on

Yeah, I have played that for about 7h on Steam, and I unfortunately didn't like it very much. :\

I can see where he was going with doing things proceduraly, but there were no identity to anything in it. In Pirates you had a map that you knew, where you learned to recognize the areas, cities and factions, and even Pirates and Pirate hunters. Windward has none of that. All map sections and cities are interchangeable with another, and that he divided it in parts just resulted in you forgetting everything about the past section as soon as you moved on to the new one.

Games like Spelunky and FTL has showed that you can add identity to proceduraly generated content, where Spelunky has recognizable parts of the levels, and FTL has different systems with distinct characteristics.

Even Mount&Blade; hade the same problem, where the factions and map parts where too generic. News to mattered to you in Pirates - "Tortuga was raided by Pirates" or "St. Kitts has been taken over by the French" in M&B reads like "Aankrnakns has been attacked by KLgsnjna". M&B is a pretty great game still though, since it has solid varied combat and pretty good character building.

Disney Infinity 3.0 - The Force Awakens play set.

's OK. More of the same, really - if you've played any other play set, you've basically played this one. I wouldn't recommend picking up DI3.0 just for this, but if you already own it... eh, it'll kill a few hours.

The most noticeable thing is, unfortunately, that Daisy Ridley is no voice actress. Some of her lines are surprisingly unpleasant to listen to - especially her delivery of "Ah, I got it!". It's all the more noticeable because all the other actors are actually OK.Shame.

...oh, and I finally got the mobile game Star Wars: Uprising to work. Decent little action-RPG.

Disney Infinity 3.0 - The Force Awakens play set.

's OK. More of the same, really - if you've played any other play set, you've basically played this one. I wouldn't recommend picking up DI3.0 just for this, but if you already own it... eh, it'll kill a few hours.

The most noticeable thing is, unfortunately, that Daisy Ridley is no voice actress. Some of her lines are surprisingly unpleasant to listen to - especially her delivery of "Ah, I got it!". It's all the more noticeable because all the other actors are actually OK.Shame.

...oh, and I finally got the mobile game Star Wars: Uprising to work. Decent little action-RPG.

hmm, doesn't sound like she's a bad voice actress so much as she just got bad direction. like, she delivers "Ah, I got it!" (28:55) as if she just figured out some instructions instead of like a "mission complete" cry.

The A Hat in Time beta, which I, uh, "acquired".

's pretty good! Looking forward to the finished game, where it'll hopefully be easier to grab onto ladders.

bah i gotta wait till the full release

hmm, doesn't sound like she's a bad voice actress so much as she just got bad direction. like, she delivers "Ah, I got it!" (28:55) as if she just figured out some instructions instead of like a "mission complete" cry.
Skip ahead 20 seconds.

I don't care if she sucks or the person directing her does - it's just not a good performance.

A few levels left in Pixeljunk Shooter Ultimate.

Man, this game. It's like a long celebration of everything I still like about games. Retro, futuristic, physics obstacles that you can call puzzles, action, awesome artstyle, the OST I didn't know I wanted, enough challenge to make me shout "Oh come on!" but still make me continue, and lot's of other great stuff.

Finished Braid. Boy oh boy I think I have a new favourite puzzle game! Simply beautiful. I was a bit confused by the meaning of the game, but then I thought about the title 'Braid', and the level design, and I get the impression that the game is about the 'woven' communication between the puzzle designer and the player. Each puzzle represents an idea and the solution is a message from the designer to the player.

I am so pretentious.

Okay, I have to say, as much as Talos Principle is a really good game, the puzzles near the very end get extremely complicated with a lot of steps to the solution and then making ONE mistake that causes you to get tagged by a laser or fall off a ledge RESETS THE ENTIRE GOD DAMN PUZZLE.

And that segment with The Shepherd in the tower that is just one extremely long puzzle where if you don't solve it fast enough you have to START THE ENTIRE DAMN THING OVER AGAIN.

There need to be some type of save states in these things. Or checkpoints during The Shepherd bit.

Give me a god damn break, Croteam. WHYYYYYYYYY

*edit*

Cool ending, though! =D

And that segment with The Shepherd in the tower that is just one extremely long puzzle where if you don't solve it fast enough you have to START THE ENTIRE DAMN THING OVER AGAIN.

That one took about 5 tries. One big stopper in there that I got around by what feels like cheating. The Endings are amazing.

I think it took me 3 tries. The first failure was because I didn't even REALIZE there was a timed element to it, so I was just fcking around and checking out the view, and the next thing I know, there's so much smoke, discoloration, and debris that I can't even see what in the hell I'm doing, so I just jumped to my death.

The second failure---most annoying of all---was on the very last puzzle of the whole thing. I was scrambling to go fast and couldn't figure out what I was supposed to do with a single jammer and 3 forcefields. All I had to do was point it back at the door where Shepherd is standing on the button. Very simple actually. It just wasn't clicking in time. I ended up deciding to see what would happen if I took the elevator that Shephard arrived on, and it turns out that it takes me directly to my doom! Hooray!

I finally got it the last time, but maaaaan was I annoyed at having to start that whole thing over FROM THE LAST PUZZLE.

I was still a little miffed because the same thing happened to me on the final puzzle in the tower before you reach the summit. The one where you have to use the fans to blow that laser ball all over the place like it's a pinball. There are SOOO MANY STEPS to solving that one, and I kept accidentally stepping into my fans and getting blown into the machine gun, which would reset the entire puzzle. I was about to throw my PC out the window if it happened again. So probably the Shephard segment irritated me a little more because I was still kinda grumpy about that last one.

Anyway... I still seem to be missing ONE star. (and consequently three grey sigils)... hmm.... and then after that it's time for Gehenna DLC.