Double Fine Action Forums

I picked up Shephy for five bucks on the Switch and was hoping for more of a strategy game maybe more similar to a traditional solitaire game.

And it *is* a solo game.

But I think I actually really dislike it, unfortunately. We all know at this point that I am quick to loathe any game that requires too much praying to RNGesus and Shephy is a game where you can literally lose the game with the starting hand you are dealt, so you might as well just reshuffle.

I just... I don't get it. Why do people want to play things like that? I will never understand.

Still Elder Scrolls Online.  Not doing the pay-to-win shit.  Grinding is perfectly fine for a pick-up-and-play game like this.  Not something I'd play if I were on vacation though.  At least the grinding isn't replaying the same parts over and over.  I kind of like it.  I'm sure my opinion would be different if there was voice chat on PC.

Is Elder Scrolls Online worth it, as a subsitute for the Elder Scrolls VI we're not getting anytime soon? Is there descent exploration, quests and story to keep one entertained playing it solo? 

The map is massive.  I've played 88hrs and I've probably done 1/4 of the quests.  I have only explored about half of the map so far. I just started to find quests where you need groups in one area(about 1/2 the area is like that).  I'm hopeful that the other half of the map, which I haven't explored, isn't the same.

I don't know.  I'm seeing people, whom love Skyrim, absolutely hate it.  I find it a similar experience for myself.  I did notice that the leveling, and specifically magic, has far fewer options, but the combat allows more(2 sets of 6 quickslots).  Like Skyrim, there's a lot of story...everywhere.  I think I've done a handful of main quests and I don't even remember the story for it anymore.

Watch someone play it for a few minutes.  It depends what your Skyrim experience was.  I enjoyed wandering around and doing shit and there is definitely a ton of that.  There's a lot of hate though, so there must be a demographic somewhere else.

One thing that infuriates me about TESO (unless they've changed it since) is there is no point to grouping with friends because you can't do quests together Unless you yourself haven't done them before. But even then your goals aren't shared between your group so they're just your objectives that you have to do yourself as well as everyone else in the group. Can someone tell me if that's been changed? Because that's a big reason why I stopped playing. I wanted to play with my sister but without shared objectives and the utter lack of purpose of friend grouping, it's a real bummer.

I'm not sure about the first part as I play solo(that will be a running theme here probably).  Goals are definitely not shared, only enemies.  So unless the goal is to defeat someone, you all have to complete each objective.  Even though you cannot share objectives and replay quests that way, you can still follow along and help fight the enemies.  I play by myself as I said and that experience has been fine by me.

10 hours ago, MusicallyInspired said:

It's definitely more geared towards a single player experience...but that begs the question as to why it's an MMO in the first place.

Probably why a lot of MMO players hate it.  Some people are REALLY into groups, guilds and roleplaying though.  So they've found some audience in the MMO community.

Well, shouldn't there be some novelty to a multiplayer experience? It's a multiplayer game by definition. I can't really blame them. That said, it DOES have a great single player experience IMO.

Edited by MusicallyInspired

I almost forgot that I finally purchased Steamworld Heist, and man I should have bought this a long time ago. Way more fun than I was expecting!

It's basically got the turn-based "X-COM style" combat that you're familiar with---i.e. running to cover points, two actions points per turn, etc. Only in this game it's on a vertical 2D plane. But the thing that makes it most fun is that, unlike X-COM where your hit/miss is calculated, in this game it is all up to your own skill. You actually have to aim your guns manually and toss your grenades manually. If you're really good, you can brutalize the opposition. If you suck, then you're gonna have a bad time. (Although it's true that some guns---such as the shotguns and uzis---can be less accurate due to spread/spray, naturally.)

In other words, the game is basically like a hybrid of X-COM and Worms.

I'm having a great time!

How are levels/missions structured in Steamworld Heist? Is it linear, or do you get choices of in what order you tackle levels/missions? 

14 hours ago, CecilRousso said:

How are levels/missions structured in Steamworld Heist? Is it linear, or do you get choices of in what order you tackle levels/missions? 

You examine a space map on your ship that displays all the levels on the map. Think of it sort of like the Super Mario World map (but in spaaaaace!) where each level is a node on the map. Sometimes the map proceeds in a linear fashion, but sometimes it branches off so there are side paths to clear. Some paths aren't accessible at first because some content is only available if you have sufficient "reputation" (which is a cumulative score determined by your best score on each individual level). Some nodes on the map are special, such as bars, stores, or challenge missions.

Characters can be recruited at bars (though these are Characters with a capital C so there are a limited number to recruit). Each character has a unique class or combat style. The more characters participate in combat, the more they level up, improve their stats, unlock new skills (some very nice passives!), etc. Loot is awarded at the end of each level and the amount of loot you collect is determined by how many lootboxes you picked up in the course of a level. (It is usually pretty easy to get them all, though I can see how it would be difficult to get them all in later levels or at higher difficulties.) Commonly loot is just currency, but you may also get common weapons, sidearms, and occasionally a rare equip, which are almost always very nice! The rare equips usually have some unique combat attributes to them other than just having high stats, so it's exciting to get one. (for example: common medpacks use your turn if used in combat, but a special rare drop medpack lets you heal as a free action.)

You can go back and replay previous missions as many times as you want to try and improve your score (to improve your "reputation") and also to grind some XP, money, and loot drops. You can also adjust the difficulty before every level, so if you replay previous levels with higher difficulty, you get better XP (and it seems to even improve loot drops). The levels are randomly generated each time, so replaying old levels isn't the same strategy every time. Levels usually also limit how many crew you can bring (usually just 2 or 3), so you'll be bringing different combat styles to the fight each time too, if you're trying to keep your crew around the same level.

There is no pemadeath when characters fall in combat, but there is a penalty. I'm playing on the default "experienced" difficulty. If even one character dies in combat, I lose 50% of my money. Enemy count, defense, and offense are ranked as 3 stars. But if you are one of those X-COM masochists (wink wink), you can set the difficulty up to maximum, and I think on the highest difficulty losing a single party member in combat results in losing 50% of your money, while enemy defense and offense are 5 stars and enemy count is 6 stars iirc.

That enemy count could be really brutal, because there are missions where an alarm or timer will be triggered that summons gun turrets and causes fresh baddies to spawn into the level every round, when you may already be weakened from the regular fight. That could be brutal on high difficulty.

Gaaaah, okay, the early levels are easy, but it definitely gets really hard after a while. I'm gonna have to grind some levels before taking on this first boss, cuz damn. -_-

Edit: oops, realized I had difficulty set to "veteran" and forgot to turn it back down .... that probably explains why I got spanked.... xD

15 hours ago, Anemone said:

You examine a space map on your ship that displays all the levels on the map. Think of it sort of like the Super Mario World map (but in spaaaaace!) where each level is a node on the map. Sometimes the map proceeds in a linear fashion, but sometimes it branches off so there are side paths to clear. Some paths aren't accessible at first because some content is only available if you have sufficient "reputation" (which is a cumulative score determined by your best score on each individual level). Some nodes on the map are special, such as bars, stores, or challenge missions.

Sounds pretty good. I often lose interest in games when they're to linear, and not give enough player agency in terms of how to proceed, unless they come with a very good story. But I do like Super Mario World. 

Yeah, I mean, it's pretty much just a game of clear the map / beat all the levels. But you have a lot of agency in terms of not having to take on a level until you're ready or deciding how much risk/reward you want to wager with the difficulty/spoils options before you dive into a level. You also get to customize your team and their loadout, so there are plenty of options there, too.

There are some pretty good variations on the encounter designs, too. Sometimes it's just a Worms style deathmatch, but other times you may have to explore the enemy ship to locate and destroy generators, or there may be unique enemies or challenges hiding on board.

I played a really challenging map last night where the evacuation point was in the first room right next to the entrance. The ship extended far to the right and was full of enemies and numerous lootboxes. As soon as you enter the level a countdown starts which raises the number and difficulty of fresh enemies dropped into the level each round. So the challenge is to run as deep into the ship as you can, grab as many lootboxes as you want to risk going for, and make it back to the evacuation point without anyone dying. But since the enemy count and difficulty are gradually rising the whole time, it makes things tricky! It's a sort of "press your luck" type of level. It's the only level where I haven't collected 100% of lootboxes so far. I'll have to come back to it.

One thing that's really growing on me the more I play is that you can ricochet your bullets off of walls and objects for banked shots. So if an enemy robot is hiding behind cover, you can sometimes ricochet your bullets off the ceiling or something to get behind his cover. It is especially nice when you can ricochet off of 2 or 3 surfaces in a row to hit someone.

The enemies are a mixture of incredibly dumb and very smart. Just like in Worms, they will blow themselves up with their own grenade on their first turn, then on their second turn they will pull off some incredible ricochet shot that owns you.

So me and one of my friends every now and then go head to head in intense Halo matches where we mess with the Slayer settings like adding 50% gravity and dueling with magnums and RPGs or Battle Rifles and Energy Swords. We are worthy opponents of each other. But I've played this bastard 12 times and have not beat him yet! I feel like less of a man!

For some reason I feel like playing Fallout 3. I have never played Fallout 3 for more than an hour. Strange urge. Installed and ready for tomorrow. I really shouldn't be starting another open world game now but ehh...

I have probably played more Fallout 3 than is healthy. I think I played it for like 2 years solid. lulz

I started a game years back and played it for a few months or so and then just stopped. Never felt the urge to go back. Someday I will. I mean, I own the game and I mean to beat every game I own at some point.

Been playing:

Crash bandicoot n.sane.  Almost done with the first one, just have to beat cortex.

Brutal Legend. Doing a slow lets play.

Also firewatch and layers of fear.

I have some many games backet up on my list I need to paly and beat lol.

1 hour ago, Zacal said:

Been playing:

Crash bandicoot n.sane.  Almost done with the first one, just have to beat cortex.

Brutal Legend. Doing a slow lets play.

Also firewatch and layers of fear.

I have some many games backet up on my list I need to paly and beat lol.

How many gems did you get?

8 hours ago, epic said:

How many gems did you get?

I only have five but when my brothers and I first, we got all the gems. At that time you could not die once in a level if you wanted to get a gem. Which im both glad and sad because ppl playing this for the first time dont know the struggle of truly perfecting a level.

Pulse I love how the game is just as frustrating as ever. 

Edited by Zacal

Transport Tycoon Deluxe. It's one of those games that I'm never able to truly abandon.

Played Dead Secret for several hours this evening.

There is one element of it that I found very frustrating at first, but now that I know it's there and what to do about it when it happens, I think it's okay. Just a little bit too confusing the first time. (I'm being vague to avoid spoilers.)

The VO isn't the best....

But other than those two points, if you like point-and-clicks and you like psychological horror / mystery, then I'd say it's worth checking out. I think I'm actually rather enjoying it.

*edit*

aaaaaaand just finished it. Here's my review:

597e9d33d4730_deadsecretreview.png.100d631331c485d1fd3664626d6268de.png

Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles is a game with a kind of dumb name.

And the character models aren't anything to write home about. (Perhaps even a little disappointing.)

But my god this game is GOOOOOOORGEOOOOOOOOOUS. The environments are the real seller. The use of color, 10/10 lighting effects, depth of field, etc, makes exploring the open world of Yonder extremely pleasing to the eye. Whether you're cresting a hill just as the sun is rising or setting, or whether you're swinging your yellow-glowing lantern in front of you as you weave through a forest on a rainy night, the atmosphere is incredible. And to top it all off, the soundscapes are extremely good as well.

I'm extremely satisfied with the world size of Yonder, too. It's certainly not the 10,000 square miles size of a world like BOTW, but it is very large. Large enough to get lost in and stumble upon countless little nooks and crannies and secret bits.

There isn't really any combat at all in the game. You never fight and it's impossible to die (though you get warped back to shore if you land yourself in deep water). It's like a really, really, really, really, really big game of Animal Crossing, with breath of the wild style foraging, and a teeny tiny bit of Harvest Moon for good measure.

There is an actual story / main quest to follow, so there is a chain of narrative progress there to follow if you want it (and you will, since following it unlocks new things), but you can waste a hell of a lot of time just foraging or fishing or just being impressed with how god damn pretty everything looks.

If you're a fan of this kind of game (i.e. animal crossing, harvest moon, stardew, etc), then you really need to pick this up. It's one of the most biggest and gorgeous games in this genre---whatever you want to call this genre. The "relax, explore, and do chores" genre? Sure.

PREVIEW_SCREENSHOT1_149372.jpg

Yonder looks interesting. I'm a bit weary about to timeconsuming games now, with crafting and what not, but it's on my radar. 

Even though it reminds me that I should buy Rime on GOG, and play that first. 

There is crafting in the game, but from what I've experience so far, it's not really a central pillar of the game. You will have to do it to improve your farm (building barns, cheese makers, etc, from your own materials), but otherwise the crafting isn't really that central to the moment to moment gameplay.

You do collect a lot of things, but in addition to using them for crafting, you can also use everything you collect as currency. There is no actual money in the game, but every item you collect is given a value. So some grass might have a value of 1 while some iron ore might have a value of 50. You can then use the items to barter with NPCs for different items. So if an NPC is selling a hat with a value of 104, you could trade two iron ores and four grass to get it. If you've ever played the MMO Path of Exile, you're probably familiar with this sytem.

You certainly won't be doing any minecraft level of crafting. Not even really botw level crafting. From what I have played so far, which is about 5 or 6 hours, it's mostly been an exploration and collection game.

Anyone played Oceanhorn: Monster of Uncharted Seas yet? It bears a lot of similarities to various aspects of the Zelda series (most notably, a similar art style to and concept approach as Wind Waker) except it's not as grand in scope and not as difficult. I've been considering grabbing it for my Switch.

Edited by MusicallyInspired