Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Zedny

[Suggestion] Space Ships

Are there plans for some sort of station-to-station interactions in the game with phasers, torpedos, shields, etc.? By implementing the bridge, engines, weapons, probably an FTL-like controll system (and maybe multiplayer support?), the game would be ready to relaunch as 'SpaceShip DF-9'. I love the idea of building a structure in space, but it is rather pointless without some ways to navigate in the void. It's like having the Enterprise with no warp-drives.

I know, that moving the entire Space Base seems weird, but designating a separate entity as a 'ship', is a nice way to go on missions and such. The devs already mentioned hangars and transport shuttles. The next logical step is to create the vessels ourselves. Maybe an entire armda.

Space ships seems definitely like a thing. I presume they would be likely to be sprite based and do a kind of 'clowncar' thing to load-unload characters, though they could be of varying size.

I could also see them spawning out of enemy space bases that warp in in remote locations across the map, and send waves of enemy ships at you until you manage to defeat them. I don't like the current 'docking' that enemy 'ships' do with your base, but bad guys warping across the map and sending their own attack-and-boarding vessels at you would be fun.

Ships should be important for various tasks in the game. They should be used for:

-Defensive and offensive purposes with combat type ships.

-Observation and area-probing.

-Being able to set up structures or mine or do other tasks in far remote locations. (The ship is like a mobile life support - but it does need to refuel.)

-Transportation between different galaxies, or even other bases you've built.

-Trading, merchant buying/selling, etc.

This is in addition to warships, pirate ships, etc. that attack the player.

I'd also like to be able to upgrade, customize, and set tasks for my ships and their pilots.

Big supporter of this idea.

Even just allowing ships to act as simple shuttles from shuttle room to shuttle room. allowing units to travel from base to base without having to use the air lock.

I'd personally prefer that to the proposed teleporter.

it would take more planning behind the designing, and thus would be more fun to build.

Plus ships zipping around outside would make outer space seem a lot more like outer space.

I like this idea, had me thinking of 'away team' missions. Of course, would require a hanger or shuttle bay in the first place, but would be a nice change of gameplay to have an assault/explore element as well as base building/management.

Sign in to follow this