Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Mitchell

Dinner time! A call for plant ideas :D

Oh, and this is topic was clearly for input to the art. Sorry, for aiding hijacking.

a3fj.jpg

I'm a visual thinker, so i sketched up some stuff...

I was thinking plants should thematically fit the various races. i think its kinda self explanatory.

The only thing i'd like to add is with the frog people, they don't necessarily eat the plants as much the bugs they catch, for all those Neon Grub Casseroles, and Beetle Stir-Fry everyones going on about.

And the bottom Torch like Plants are for the raider-race. I'm assuming there planet is rather angry in general.

a3fj.jpg

That space chicken with the mega corn :lol:

Seriously that is really amazing, I really love how you made everything fit so well, like the thin flowers for the race with the tiny beak.

I was thinking plants should thematically fit the various races. i think its kinda self explanatory.

The only thing i'd like to add is with the frog people, they don't necessarily eat the plants as much the bugs they catch, for all those Neon Grub Casseroles, and Beetle Stir-Fry everyones going on about.

And the bottom Torch like Plants are for the raider-race. I'm assuming there planet is rather angry in general.

Mega-corn is a great name. I really dig the "lollipop" plant. Plants you lick for sustenance is a sweet idea.

Mega corn is awesome.

I hope it can be popped

I also hope that there is a low skill failure chance for that popping to get out of hand and blow up the bar.

Or start a fire. Yes, I was making popcorn once and the oil in the pan lit up when I took the lid off. It was simultaneously hilarious and terrifying.

Mega corn is awesome.

I hope it can be popped

I also hope that there is a low skill failure chance for that popping to get out of hand and blow up the bar.

That would be sweet. Next to a plant that generates heat, when the Mega-corn matures at the same time as the heat plant. There was a drawing of a straight-up fire plant on page 1.

Not so much art, but also if a fire starts in the next room or a power source gets superheated. Could affect all the plants.

Thought plant incubators would be interesting an appropriate for a space farm. Here's some stuff.

Plants in water that look like tiny snakes.

images1_320x213-1.jpg

Massive amounts of jars, in a cluttered space. For the space farmer who's going lo-tech.

plant-incubator-room-6019495_161x240.jpg

Cage for dangerous plants that can't grow out of a cage because of fat torso's, but will escape if not locked up.

Tomato_Plant_Support-071110_180x240.jpg

Biodome!

green_house_240x240.jpg

My favorite is giant bubbles hanging from the ceiling for plants that require different oxygen levels than everyone else. A plant called Primadonna.

Incubator_2_290x240.jpg

Plant cloning facilities.

after-taking-the-algae-out-of-these-ponds-theyre-split-into-huge-incubation-tanks-some-of-these-tanks-will-be-brought-back-out-to-promot.jpg

Another lo-tech option.

plant-incubator_180x240.jpg

This last one is a keychain, but a room of rain drops with plants in them, just sound cool.

10x0_320x128.jpg

Whoah you guys, this stuff is great! I was out from work yesterday and I come back to all this lovely stuff!

The initial implementation of plants will probably not be incredibly deep, simulation wise (breeding, etc). Currently the initial goal for plants is just to provide a source of food ingredients. So, the programming will probably focus mostly on the food aspect and less on the plant simulation. Theres a lot of really great ideas in here for simulation-related plant stuff in the future though!

I'll compile a big list of ideas and see what the team thinks!

Super rad! :D :D

Ps: Super high five to WelshPixie, Kongering, lolholm and Bartosh for the art and image reference. Gets my artist brain tingling!!

@clydebink

@Space Chicken

@WelshPixie

@Saice

Hey thanks :)

Massive genetically engineered corn stocks seemed like the only thing an advance race of giant anthropomorphic chickens would ever want to grow.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ lolholm:

“I really dig the “lollipop” plant. Plants you lick for sustenance is a sweet idea.”

Ha, i see what you did there.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

@ DF Burger

(Returns Super high five)

Its awesome to have topics like this that the forum community can help out with.

It was fun to go through playing the game and trying to imagine something you normally wouldn't think about. like the plants, and food your weird little alien people would eat.

How about a plant that bears small cow, sheep and pig fruits?

The ham bush? Raiders could occasionally hide in one for a long period, waiting to spring a devastating surprise attack.

How about a plant that bears small cow, sheep and pig fruits?

The ham bush? Raiders could occasionally hide in one for a long period, waiting to spring a devastating surprise attack.

I will be deeply upset if a potential meat-plant doesn't look like this.. ;)

meatplant_b.jpg

Maybe draw some inspiration from some groovy deep-sea plants? I mean, it's a whole new world down there anyway!

Maybe draw some inspiration from some groovy deep-sea plants? I mean, it's a whole new world down there anyway!

It's a dazzling place we never knew. There's a hundred-thousand things to see.

Hmmm would have preferred if food/cooking and plants wasn't so high up the priority list of new features. Rather enrich/create other features such as the hostile attacks, defenses and maybe building smaller space ships for missions etc :(

Tis ok...you can all flame me now

Those will come, I'm sure we'll be expecting a new hotfix soon (:

Oh, and Bartosh, mad props for designing plants specific to the alien races - and of course for the tentacle plant :D

Ha, didn't know if anybody was going to catch that.

It may be the bottom of the food chain now.. but one of these days...

Oh, I intended to include a tiny list of plants in my post. I'm not exactly very good at english, so excuse the poor language & attempt at humour.

Ornamental grass.

Covers the whole tile. Perhaps for use in other areas as well, eg sports-hall or picnic-bay.

Dextremitor.

Top-open barrelshaped plant with a tooths on the inside wall and a smooth but convulsive exterior. A dangerous weapon in the wrong hands. Popular ornamental garbage bin.

Flourbush.

A geneticially modified type of grain that grinds its seeds into floor. Obviously sterile but marketing failed to see the flaw. Perennial modifications makes it somewhat useful.

The single large grass blade.

A sort of reverse bonzai; enlargening common grass is the most popular variant. Very treasured amongst the upper class since they can live for hundreds of years.

The pineapple tree.

The seed lineage of pineapple is lost to history, but this is a recreation based on historical electronic records. Mainly used as ingredient for making traditional hawaiian burgers.

Mixed nuts bush.

Obvious improvement. Chilinuts as well.

Rubberball tree

The fruit is slightly translucent, in assorted primary colors. Due to its volume it has a very effective photosynthesis, and is thus a possible resource for matter.

In areas native to the tree they cause massive damages to property and people in the autumn. Taste great with vanilla sauce.

Thinking of plants, you could use generic titles with generic use.

For example:

Space Fruit

Space Mulch

Space Veg

Space Grain

Space Bush

Space Tree

Space Grass

Space Seed

Space Root

Just a thought for generic use and would be easy, in my mind, giving each thing a different property. But then again, I am not a programmer and I am not on the dev. team.

Any thoughts on properties for things? And how does this sound?

Yay for space plants!

Varieties i'd like to see:

- Space fungus makes a lot of sense due to the environment

- Hovering plants with root systems that take nutrition from the air

- Plants ripped straight from the Massive Chalice universe (spikey trees, mangroves etc)

Behaviours i'd like to see:

- Aggressive strains of plants you have to kill with security, or possibly use as defence

- Occasional plant evolutions due to magnetic interference

- Discovering rare plant matter during asteroid mining (good/bad)

- Plants that prefer low oxygen or generate oxygen (but in lower amounts that the recyclers)

Hey guys! The first plant art is done now..

It's called the ICKY POD. This one was inspired by that gross looking sack-thing that Bartosh drew.

Here's an image showing the growth stages:

tumblr_mvgl7dhL7U1spe7v7o2_500.png

I'm fairly certain I'm subconsciously projecting my hatred of Brussels Sprouts on this thing.

Here's a forum update on the matter!

http://spacebasedf9.com/post/65486668947/hello-again-a-few-of-us-on-team-spacebase-came

(as if its not obvious, that weird prop thing in the floor is a SUPER TEMP junk I made so we can have a usable prop. You'll see this a lot. When A new features is designed, a programmer or myself will make something really ugly looking that can stand in place of art that will be coming later.)

It's called the ICKY POD. This one was inspired by that gross looking sack-thing that Bartosh drew.

I'm fairly certain I'm subconsciously projecting my hatred of Brussels Sprouts on this thing.

Awesome!

Can they get overripe if they are not harvested and explode sticky juices everywhere? :D

Here's a forum update on the matter!

http://spacebasedf9.com/post/65486668947/hello-again-a-few-of-us-on-team-spacebase-came

(as if its not obvious, that weird prop thing in the floor is a SUPER TEMP junk I made so we can have a usable prop. You'll see this a lot. When A new features is designed, a programmer or myself will make something really ugly looking that can stand in place of art that will be coming later.)

I'm fairly sure that is totally a Xeno egg.... No wonder so my crew come down with chestbursterism lately they think they are just food.

What i would like to see is at least something grape like, hanging fruits or vegetables, and rainbow corn looks alien already.

Also a mimicry plant that starts to take the shape of his caretaker only in different shades of green and brown.

Maybe even some kind of mandrake like creature/plant which will cause problems if harvested by an inexperienced farmer/caretaker

The bacon plant from psychonauts would be really cool too.

Sign in to follow this