Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Jeremy Mitchell

Dinner time! A call for plant ideas :D

Pixie's drawing for a spiked nutty fruit already exists on Earth, it's called a Durian. It's Asian in origin thriving in tropical climates, stinks to high heaven, has a thick skin and spiky exterior, enough to cause severe lacerations if it drops on people, and has an unbelievably good taste for looking and smelling so crappy. Perhaps combine a lot of different aspects into a mini-semi-intelligent-Durian Tree that if mutated can uproot itself and attack the base, or if annoyed by a bad gardener just smack 'em with a Durian Fruit Punch?

And I want a T-Bone plant. A plant that grows big juicy steaks, because if I could genetically engineer a plant to bring with me into space, it would be one that makes delicious steaks instead of fruit. You need protein if you're working hard in a vacuum, and I would get soooooo tired of protein paste. And it grows on a plant! No animals harmed, so even vegetarians can enjoy them!

And we need a plant that makes booze. There's no room for a distillery on a space ship, and synthahol isn't something you can get ^$#!faced with. I mean, there's already too many things on our space stations that can blow up as it is. How about a plant who's sap is alcoholic, like how a maple tree's sap is sweet? And it produces different kinds of booze depending on the "season" the tree is in. Also, it would be a good reason to draw a tree / cactus / pulsating pod with a spigot in it. And hey, if it DOES catch fire, KABOOM! Who'd a thunk the garden could be a flaming death trap, huh?

And the ultimate comfort food. CHOCOLATE! Choco-Berry bramble bushes! Hard to maintain and care for, and annoying to harvest... but CHOCOLATE!

And fruit and veggie shapes are just so... normal. Sphere. Oblong. Ovals. How about a fruit shaped like a coil? Or veggies that grow as cubes for easy stacking, or pyramidal? Or an octagonal fruit? Geometry is far more varied than mother nature.

EDIT:

Icky Pods.... I uh, don't think I would want to grow something on my station that looks like an exploding anus... Can I choose to NOT grow certain foods? You know, so that I can... not have to look at them? Or choose to have a mosaic over them?

Hey guys! The first plant art is done now..

It's called the ICKY POD. This one was inspired by that gross looking sack-thing that Bartosh drew.

I'm fairly certain I'm subconsciously projecting my hatred of Brussels Sprouts on this thing.

Here's a forum update on the matter!

http://spacebasedf9.com/post/65486668947/hello-again-a-few-of-us-on-team-spacebase-came

(as if its not obvious, that weird prop thing in the floor is a SUPER TEMP junk I made so we can have a usable prop. You'll see this a lot. When A new features is designed, a programmer or myself will make something really ugly looking that can stand in place of art that will be coming later.)

Thats awesome.

Whatever you do, I think you should add as many sci-fi and nerd references as possible. When you guys make dev videos, you're always making trek references, and when I'm playing a sim or strategy sci-fi game, and they make references like that, I get a real kick out of it.

For example:

Leola Root, from Star Trek: Voyager

Tulaberries, from Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

Athelas, from Lord of the Rings

Gillyweed, from Harry Potter (maybe it can make you breathe in space)

Sarlacc, from Star Wars

G'Quan Eth, from Babylon 5

Maybe you could do some kind of space vermin. Like how DS9 had cardassian voles, and they always had to call the chief to flush them out? What if you had something kind of like pikmin. They grow like weed in your plants, but instead of hopping out and trying to help you, they run around the station and mess things up. Yes, yes. I'm well aware the game is broken enough without adding things to purposely break things, but I'm thinking further along down the road once they've fixed all that.

Also - Not to ruin anyone's fun, but if there plants that slowed work progress and made you hungry, and their possession was illegal, and security could run around and arrest people and put them in jail for that - I'm just saying. I'd find that hilarious.

EDIT: And if you do make the final plant, it should be called Space Weed. Because that just sounds awesome. :-P

Space marmite. Your crew either love it or hate it.

It could be the bi-product of some foods' processing, or something like that. Having little references to stuff in the food sounds pretty cool.

Different foods should require different amounts of botany skill to take care of. I.e. you could have say a 5 star ultra-luxury plant that 5 star growers prioritize over the others, but no one else would be able to care for it.

I hope you won't forget that plants "recycle" oxygen, so don't forget to implement that at some point. Having large amounts of flora growing around the station would lessen the stress on Oxygen Recyclers, and thus reduce maintenance need.

As long as plants go:

Some sort of algae that grows on flat surfaces would be quite space like.

Fruits that grow on a grid, similar to tomatoes.

Pretty much anything that grows on a vine or tree would be growable in space.

Efficiency is key in space, so any food grown would be in racks.

There's no soil in space, so root foods like potatoes and carrots would not be canon with a space station. Everything would be grown hydroponically.

No flowers: Flowers need pollination, there are no bees in space.

My 2 cents, o7

I hope you won't forget that plants "recycle" oxygen, so don't forget to implement that at some point. Having large amounts of flora growing around the station would lessen the stress on Oxygen Recyclers, and thus reduce maintenance need.

As long as plants go:

There's no soil in space, so root foods like potatoes and carrots would not be canon with a space station. Everything would be grown hydroponically.

My 2 cents, o7

I think you're getting a little technical. I don't see anything as "canon" for a space station. It's science fiction. You can pretty much do whatever you want, provided you come up with a rational explanation for it. Babylon 5 had dirt and gardens and grew their own food and coffee (even though it was illegal). And considering that we already have potted plants, the no soil in space thing has already been debunked.

The thing with flowers would be a problem, though. Definitely need space bees. If botanists are anything like the technicians, those flowers aren't going to impregnate themselves.

@ThePokerGod

Are you trolling, how could you type that entire post and not mention tribbles? It's absurd!

Because we're talking about plants, not space pets. But a tribbles would be a hilarious way to kill the space station. If it's not stupid technicians, stupid builders, or security officers who blow holes it the wall, it would be tribbles.

As long as plants go:

My 2 cents, o7

most edible plants start of as flowers then when the flower is pollinated it matures into fruit/seeds

gd-0128.png

and plants can be manually pollinated (you can use your finger or a small brush) and because it is the future there could be a handheld pollinating machine

What if you had the fruits and plant procedurally generated? you could have separate lists of stems, leaves, flowers, shape of fruit, fruit color, etc. and when you plant something new, one is randomly created and named and saved to your game so that it could be grown again later in that file.

What if you had the fruits and plant procedurally generated? you could have separate lists of stems, leaves, flowers, shape of fruit, fruit color, etc. and when you plant something new, one is randomly created and named and saved to your game so that it could be grown again later in that file.

If you wanted to go nuts, you could extend that to allow cross-breeding of plants to create new ones with the combined traits of their progenitors, the idea being to emphasize more desirable traits over generations much like actual farmers do.

Of course it should be a system that could be ignored without too much consequence since I doubt everyone would want to micromanage their crops to that extent. Maybe have some crazy plants that could only be discovered through breeding as a nice bonus to people who do play with it.

I like the space bees. Then you have honey and hives and caretaking over the hives, and inhabitants accidentally getting stung and discovering they have space bee allergy... Then they need to go to the medbay and have doctors Franklin and Bashir taking care of them... And we can get evolution of murder bees, catastrophic diseases that kill all the bees, and bee-carried diseases that affect our inhabitants.

Agreed, Space Bees would be awesome, if only to say "Space Bees".

Maybe Space Bee honey powers the reactors. Maybe the space bee hive IS the reactor.

If you wanted to go nuts, you could extend that to allow cross-breeding of plants to create new ones with the combined traits of their progenitors, the idea being to emphasize more desirable traits over generations much like actual farmers do.

Of course it should be a system that could be ignored without too much consequence since I doubt everyone would want to micromanage their crops to that extent. Maybe have some crazy plants that could only be discovered through breeding as a nice bonus to people who do play with it.

that would be awesome to have a long term goal of a "plant tycoon" like metagame for the plants

Not having them fight zombies in the next halloween Space Zombies game update then? :)

How about Venusian Bloodfly Traps? Very good at catching Bloodflies (and the occasional careless gardener), and their fruit is delicious. Maybe the janitors could feed them the corpses they clean up.

Dead bodies for fertilier?

It'd be cool if you could get corpses and use a machine to turn them into fertiliser haha

Gentlemen, please try and free your minds from the earthly constraints of plants. Sure, a Venus fly trap is odd, but we can make better plants that are far more exotic.

Like a self contained floating biome plant that requires Acid instead of water to grow. The tendrils covered in purple spotted leaves flowing out of the minutes holes in the sides could form an excellent base for a salad.

Or a plant that produces an internal supply of helium/hydrogen/methane that causes it to lift into the air with a loose stringy stem reaching back to the ground for nutrients, while the more stinky gasses the spherical plant emits the closer it is to being ripe. Like an even more unpleasant looking space mushroom that smells like the stinky kid from elementary school. Spherical with an internal supply or umbrella with the supply being caught underneath it's parabolic surface, and floating to keep it out of reach of the critters of it's native world. Like a cross between a mushroom and a jelly fish...?

Jellyfish+beautiful.jpg

mushrooms.jpg

Or a cross between a Mandrake and a Gingerbread man? A knotted tuber that when pulled will lash out at the gardener with a branch, or kick with a tuber limb, and if dropped, will try and run away. Might be good practice for Security to increase their ranks with.

You said that carrots and Potatoes might be a little bit boring....fair point. But personally i'd prefer not to over - "space" the game. Just saying a bit of "normal" food wouldn't hurt and imho provide some refreshment.

That said i am a big fan of the glowing fruits and vegetables idea!

I still want space farms, so we can get a little meat in their diet. No one has problems with aquatic plants, why not space plankton, grows fast, requires light, and requires cleaning once in a while for some yummy green goop. Now if we can just get some animal plankton to spice up life.

You said that carrots and Potatoes might be a little bit boring....fair point. But personally i'd prefer not to over - "space" the game. Just saying a bit of "normal" food wouldn't hurt and imho provide some refreshment.

That said i am a big fan of the glowing fruits and vegetables idea!

Glowing fruits and vegetables should be what happens if you put your garden next to your reactor room. Get your recommended daily dose of radiation in one serving!

Glowing fruits and vegetables should be what happens if you put your garden next to your reactor room. Get your recommended daily dose of radiation in one serving!

I like the idea of some adjacent rooms effecting the plants in some way.

The radiation cuts down life of the plants but provides bigger harvest.

Near O2 rooms, health is easier maintained but smaller harvests.

Sign in to follow this