Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Florinator

Space Toilets. A logical extension of the food update.

Space Toilets: Do you feel the need for them?  

48 members have voted

1. 1. Space Toilets: Do you feel the need for them?

• Yes - This is an urgent need.
    • Yes - This seems like a good extension of the food update.
    • Yes - But this can wait.
    • Meh - I don’t care.
    • No - Not necessary: in the future, we’ve evolved beyond such needs.
    • No - Probably too hard to implement
    • No - Too gross (unlike the chest-busting aliens) !

In the context of the gardening / food cycle, space toilets (STs) make would make a lot of sense - the law of conservation of mass will presumably still apply in the future.

In late 20th century/ early 21st century space travel, STs are an important and often under-appreciated part of mission critical hardware; malfunctions have considerable consequences for the crew. Sadly, STs are usually absent from Sci Fi - with the notable exception of the Mass Effect series of games.

Some ideas regarding the details:

1) STs could produce some small amount of mass at each use (presumably they're linked to the matter refinery). This amount could be equal to the mass used by food dispensers minus the mass of packaging (which I assume janitors, when implemented, will recycle). Alternatively, STs could instead produce a new resource, fertilizer, which could be used to grow plants. This would not even have to be explicitly represented, gardeners could just go to the space bathroom to pick it up before tending to plants (it would never fill up or run out).

2) All residents who eat would need to use a ST at some point, probably within a certain random time period after eating at the bar. Not being able to find an unoccupied ST in space bathroom could lead to a decrease in moral, maybe also in health.

3) STs might require maintenance by a janitor (once implemented) in addition to a technician; if not sufficiently cleaned, STs might become a place where users could catch an exciting space disease.

4) A sufficient number of STs might help if there's an outbreak of space gastrointestinal distress (e.g. due to bad food prep by an unskilled bar keeper or mutant plants). Additionally, if any interaction between species and particular meals is planned, STs might play a role in mitigating the fallout of an unfortunate species/meal pairing.

5) Users with different levels of neatness might leave the ST in different states with regard to need for cleaning; different levels of neatness could interact with a given level of ST cleanliness to lower moral more or less.

6) STs might necessitate the creation of a space bathroom zone (although instead of this, maybe STs would be placed in residential areas, prison-style, possibly with a moral penalty if too close to a bed?)

7) Space bathrooms, if implemented, could be a starting point for future expansions: they could also contain space washbasins (decrease probability of disease spread; could cause minor flooding: requires janitor), space showers (boost moral and decrease probability of disease spread; could cause major flooding, damaging objects in the flood zone) and space mirrors (boost to moral / decrease in moral depending on personality)

8) Keeping it (relatively) tasteful: STs could be enclosed in 1x2 stalls that close when occupied / glass stalls (so players can see the awesome looking ST) that turn opaque when in use.

9) Impact (reiterates the points above):

a) Duties: technicians, janitors (when implemented), gardeners (when implemented and if STs produce fertilizer)

b) Behaviors: everybody uses a ST some time after consuming a food item

c) Moral/Health: moral/health lowered if no ST available; moral/health lowered if ST improperly maintained; point of disease origin if improperly maintained; relief from certain diseases / food incompatibility events

d) Base construction: potential new zone (space bathroom); new item for zoning size calculations when building a room

e) Resource chain: either produces mass (proportional to mass used at food dispenser) or fertilizer (used to grow plants for food)

10) Yes, I'm aware I just spent considerable time writing about virtual toilets in space.

You got it. For me, the poop-issue is worthwhile for two reasons:

1: Potential disruptions in the process chain.

2: It's a reminder that space-people are animals

Loss of your base that results from a chain of events started by the player's inability to consider the most basic human tendencies, is a narrative I want to experience.

I love this idea. It's appropriately hilarious and fitting for the setting. Especially if eventually there will be space janitors to clean up dead bodies and such, why not space janitors to clear clogged toilets? Could even have a tie-in for the "enemies" section, where if a specific space janitor constantly has to clear a specific crewmember's toilet all the time, they could become mortal enemies.

Likewise, if the devs eventually decide to put in some sort of sitting mechanic (eg: for space lunch tables, or space bar stools) it would be relatively simple to apply the same sitting mechanic to a toilet. In the beginning, the easiest thing would be to just have the crewmember sit on the crapper the way they'd sit at any chair/stool. Then eventually they could add in the blur or whatever else people want.

This also could present some hilarious problems. Imagine if a tourist or visitors mechanic is implemented, but there are no public toilets.

You got it. For me, the poop-issue is worthwhile for two reasons:

1: Potential disruptions in the process chain.

2: It's a reminder that space-people are animals

Loss of your base that results from a chain of events started by the player's inability to consider the most basic human tendencies, is a narrative I want to experience.

I agree! Having your station wiped out due to clogged plumbing would be hilarious.

Yeah should obviously be toilet :) not to mention you can have a lot of fun, start by having to just throw it out in space like astronauts do when they flush.

Later maybe recycle it somehow.

If Spacebase is geared to go the way of the Sims, why not? I had some fun times watching sims pee themselves because their pathing sucks.

However, considering the current AI can't even keep itself alive reliably, there will be alot of poop to clean off the floors. It would be even more epic to see citizens 'drown' in their space suits instead of asphyxiating.

Spaceface feed: "Can't breathe, ammonia-content reaching lethal levels. Should have told [friend] that. I loved them. Should have told [technician] that they aren't plumber material."

I've always found the lack of toilets in fiction of any kind to be really weird. So yes, awesome and totally fitting for the setting.

I think it would be funny with the space toilet aka personal bio mater recycler would give you a small 'refund' of mater back based on the mater cost of the food the crew has eaten. Say like 10% or the such.

all in all like the OPs ideas

Recycle back into water supply= Slightly decreases moral based on maintenance level

Shoot contents into Space= Slightly increases moral, consumes a small amount of matter to create new water

I was just searchin for threads about space hygiene/showers before suggesting the idea and found this.

I totally support this thing - gotta get back that matter from my food replicators somehow!

Seems like it'll be a lot of work, adding extra needs and activities means re-tuning a helluva lot of other stuff.

Totally worth it though.

Also, space janitors really ought to be present in this kind of game - someone has to clean those spacesuits when someone goes on a long EVA after snarfing a space curry!

:sick:

(Yeah, more opportunities for builders and miners to lower their morale while out in space. Can't wait to see their Spaceface posts about it. )

Well, make it simpler, this is space so...

1) Make space stalls, with roofs, people walk in and you don't have to see whats going on in there.

2) Make hand wash stations build-able in any room. Maybe some residents like to wash their hands before they eat.

3) Space tubes would be showers, raise hygiene level, and no need to see them doing anything.

Also

1) Parasites could be spread through bathrooms/showers that are not properly maintained from infected crew.

2) Parasites would have a greater chance of erupting while person is in the stall.

3) If the person dies while in a stall or shower, they should fall out on the floor.

An interesting idea...though the idea of turning poop into building materials really sort of "throws me for a loop". so to speak.

Astronnauts in the actual international space station can filter pee into drinking water, but poop into metal...WHAT?

I am curious to see what the devs think of this idea.

Sign in to follow this