Sign in to follow this  
DF Anthony

MASSIVE CHALICE Update #30: Teamstream #9 This Friday!

Hey Everyone!

We're back! Teamstream #9 is this Friday, October 25th at 4PM Pacific (23:00 GMT)! Last Teamstream we showed some early concepts for hero weapons, we discussed the updated relics system and enjoyed some of Brad’s homemade salsa over beers! This Friday we’ll be checking out our Fog of War, Line of Sight, Random Events system and, as always, the latest playable! Tune in live at Double Fine's Twitch channel, and make sure you bring some questions for the Q&A at the end! :D!

Environment Concept Exploration

Derek’s been working on a bunch of environment concepts over the last two weeks. We’d love to show off a bunch of them and get your feedback! :D!

Here’s a preview of a Mangrove Forest!

1Cm0MB6NAmcgm45mJzeODsmCDg5DBBDmAj36PveLP0ODIGhK1vfwDLL_uAMhzfsfwfIWhnFj307I_Bf658VD_HkXN79qWrv-1xAqvyExJFmUt0Y6BNahIF_YMQ

And we just threw up another piece on the MASSIVE CHALICE BLOG!

Can’t Join Us Live?

In case you can’t make the live broadcast you can find all our Teamstreams on our YouTube channel. And, be sure to head over to the MASSIVE CHALICE BLOG where we post the latest news from the team!

If a topic discussed by the team or your fellow backers gets you excited, happy, upset or anything in-between then talk to us about it! The best way to do that is to start a discussion right here in the forums.

See you this Friday!

Derek the Mangrove Forest IS SOOOOOO COOOL.

Picture D~ I would buy that.

everything looks upside down

Cool.

Tree theme tying these together indicates they're in the same region?

My favorite's C.

B's suggestive of mist. Would like the mist to be rendered a bit more.

Lookin' forward to the Team Stream. Fun pills and sleds.

Smiles

Hopefully I'll be back from work in time for this Teamstream, The artwork is looking incredible!

I have to say, I love the sense of scale in B, C, and D. I'm getting more and more excited for Massive Chalice!

I hope you start two minutes sooner, because then it will be 2 Minutes To Midnight! here!

\m/ \m/

Yeah, I got myself a pack of Robinsons Trooper beer.

Quite awesome ale!

Ah, seems you made an error with calculating your timeszones. At the moment it's 23.05 GMT, and 5 past midnight here.

Someone on the Twitch chat said it was 15.05 Pacific there, so another hour to go.

Not that I'm complaining, but yeah, an hour off on the timezone calculations.

@Undertow: I already stated this in the stream chat, but they know their time zones (except GMT should be UTC to avoid confusion), they just aren't telling us a useful time. Europe is still on summer time (about 26h more), so CEST (UTC+2) instead of CET (UTC+1), BST (UTC+1) instead of GMT (UTC).

Blast! I got distracted gaming and missed this stream. Eagerly awaiting the twitch archival posting.

Pt 1 Stream of Consciousness

Who went on the Labia Tors?

Andy Wood has a great voice. He could be the game's narrator.

The young and middle-aged females slack jaws and relaxed expressions make them look hypnotized. Only the old face, with its' lowered eyebrows, looks alert. The male heads' expressions look different depending on the angle. For example, from the right, the young male face looks like someone just hurt his feelings while from a straight-on view he looks surprised.

Pop-up boxes with the models heads to show them larger, akin to what JRPGs have when someone talks, would work if you want to show-off a facial expression for a few seconds during combat. Instead of being displayed in the lower third of the screen they could be in speech balloons coming from the model's head.

Mangroves: where men come from.

The underwater plants desert looks cool Brad. Stop sippin that haterade. It'd be lame to just have a bunch of forest (coniferous, deciduous, bamboo, etc.). The piece brad accepted had a prominent regular tree in the center vs underwater foliage. Avoid red ground to keep away from Martian associations.

To make the C Mangrove concept work, could there be parts of levels that aren't accessible in 360 directions nor allowing the camera to rotate all around? Like a hallway section during part of a map that can only be seen from the side and after it's passed the camera can be rotated again. That way there could occasionally be bigger set pieces which aren't passable terrain which are seen only from one side.

It'd be cool if the enemy AI accounted for the units on its' side vs the units on the player's side and adjusted its' tactics accordingly. Like a group of ranged demons vs an all-melee player party may keep falling back and trying to kite the player into killzones. A large group of low-hp demons who see the player has a bunch of alchemists spreads out and avoid being close to one another unless they're surrounding player heroes at a certain ratio. If the demons have seen a hero's dead and they have a numbers/power advantage they become more aggressive, closing in for the kill. If there's a demon with crippling debuff abilities then the computer plays him first in the frontline while his allies hang back and wait for the debuffs to be placed before striking.

Bards were in-universe but killed. Wooh. What a relief! A fun mockery of the concept of bards functioning in combat. "The demons came, he grabbed his lute, but the beasts gaeve him the boot".

The random events don't all need to have the same flavor. It'd be better to've variety: some funny, some tragic, some morally grey decisions where no one wins, some aesthetic (proposed law all men over 18 must grow beards), and so forth. KoDP had its' 4th-wall-breaking jokes like a PnP player party showing up but it also had its' moral quandaries like if two husbands were kidnapped by bandit-women and had sex with them who (if anyone) is at fault and what should their punishment be?

"Regent", "Partner" why can't we have Kings and Queens?

The placeholder hit affect looks like it came from Rez.

A benefit to the Animal Crossing textures is when you're not focusing on them, the hard shapes blend together more giving an impression of layers.

Slowpoke: If there's no currency how are keep upgrades purchased? Y'all could make them researchable objects and price them by requiring they take up a number of slots in a keep and/or require each type be placed in a specific place (at the moat, on the ramparts, in the tower, dungeon, courtyard, gatehouse) so they compete for space.

It's excellent y'all're using player stats to determine some random event outcomes. A frustrating disconnect in King of Dragon Pass was when your characters traits and/or your town's/army's battle readiness did not play into an event's outcome. You could send a Weaponthane Excellent-rated in Magic and Combat to Cragspider and she'd still kill him with a breath. You could have maxed-out town defenses, a huge army, gods' blessings, and battle-affecting treasures and the beastmen would still raize your town into oblivion. If a scenario deals with factors the game has implemented as mechanics (like fighting strength) than these mechanics should come into play when these factors affect the outcome of an event.

To avoid making these choices a no-brainer, where the player always selects the option with the higher %-chance for success, you should have different end-states based on the node chosen and display them in the text. So for speech it may say, "+5% research" and for strength it may say "+2% forging". Asymmetry in the weight of outcomes can influence player decisions in fun ways too: do you choose the sure-win even when it has a lower reward or do you take the riskier option when it has a great pay-off?

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130316020803/kingofdragonpass/images/6/67/ThadartFinale.jpg

The most fun council advice in King of Dragon Pass was the guy who was obsessed with elves. Everything was an elf conspiracy and proof you needed to war with the elves. Ah realize it'd probably feel a waste if one of the Adviser voices was always joking but them cracking jokes on certain subjects (showing what they take seriously vs dismiss) would make the game more amusing. It could also characterize the advisers as one has a more crass way of jesting and the other makes sarcastic statements and hints when joking.

The proper tone for random events is: various. One CYOA should contrast with another style of event in outcomes, tone, etc. (as y'all've already said) so they're distinct against one another and memorable. If they're all consistently the same tone (or rewards, option numbers/style, problem, etc.) then they blend into one another forgettably.

Hey Everyone!

We're back! Teamstream #9 is this Friday, October 25th at 4PM Pacific (23:00 GMT)! Last Teamstream we showed some early concepts for hero weapons, we discussed the updated relics system and enjoyed some of Brad’s homemade salsa over beers! This Friday we’ll be checking out our Fog of War, Line of Sight, Random Events system and, as always, the latest playable! Tune in live at Double Fine's Twitch channel, and make sure you bring some questions for the Q&A at the end! :D!

Is there any chance you could give us an overview of future teamstreams, when they are and what the topics will be? Even if things are constantly changing, I would personally like estimates to see what I have to look forward to, especially on the design side.

Hey Psychomaster! Thanks for the input, that is a great idea. I think once we get into production we'll be able to more accurately estimate what topics will be coming down the road. But for now we're still figuring out so much that we often times don't know what is the best thing to show until a couple days before the Teamstream.

A lot of the times our blog will give a good idea of what is likely to be shown on the Teamstreams.

Thanks!

Anthony