Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
thestalkinghead

post you disasters

space base clearly can be chaotic and sometimes disasters happen:

647ADB1F5155ADE02DD0C0F47E3DB0CDBD488BA4

like when a massive raider ship crashes into the side of your base, you send 4 security guards to board it, and the raider blows the wall apart causing it and your security guards to be sucked into space :(

like when a massive raider ship crashes into the side of your base, you send 4 security guards to board it, and the raider blows the wall apart causing it and your security guards to be sucked into space :(

Yeah happens fairly commonly when crew have a shoot out near a outer wall. And doubling your outer wall while it protects that from happening causes other odd bugs. Right now if I'm trying to play legit and not use one of moat systems that stops docking form happening my way of dealing with raiders is to just lock there docking hallway door since believe it or not you can. That forces them to use your air lock and often gives you time to get security over your airlock so you can fight there. Which you can build up to be safe from hull breaches.

Yeah happens fairly commonly when crew have a shoot out near a outer wall. And doubling your outer wall while it protects that from happening causes other odd bugs. Right now if I'm trying to play legit and not use one of moat systems that stops docking form happening my way of dealing with raiders is to just lock there docking hallway door since believe it or not you can. That forces them to use your air lock and often gives you time to get security over your airlock so you can fight there. Which you can build up to be safe from hull breaches.

this particular ship only had one way in, but maybe i could have tried locking it until i had filled in the gap they got sucked out from with floor:

4F8515D2C24465895C2D23A9458711CE0A2474A3

this particular ship only had one way in, but maybe i could have tried locking it until i had filled in the gap they got sucked out from with floor:

Yeah you could still lock that door then just use a builder to punching a holes in the ship and send sec in with space suits.

I really try to avoid fighting on my base as much as possible because of the damages it can cause.

Best disaster I've had so far was the discovery that even fire extinguishers can spontaneously combust. :P

Been waiting for a thread like this!

I haven't had any super crazy disasters, none that anyone hasn't really had before... Except when my miners brought back three space bugs at the same time...

That was when I first learned how to jettison hostiles out of airlocks, haha

A raider went after my builders, and for some reason they all piled up on each other... While the raider was one of the first to run out of oxygen, the others didn't have enough left to reach an airlock. 7 dead and I'm still trying to get morale up to something reasonable so they don't burn down my base in their mourning...

Screen Shot 2013-10-27 at 13.24.50.png

578d0040a078a_ScreenShot2013-10-27at13.2

All my technicians died, my oxygen recyclers caught fire and spaced two separate corridor systems (main base and raider foil) --> all my folks died. New folks drop in, but a parasite standing on an asteroid lures them all into either fighting it or panicking. Restarting the game client the parasite moves, but new folks still mostly either panic or fight it. I managed to get a couple folks to build a new base beside the husk of the old one (where doors, fire extinguishers etc. all are damaged to 0% condition), but they frequently die because of the size off the cruft that is all around that distract them, and because they for instance try to repair an unrepairable airlock door to a nearby derelict.

Snarky parasite in space.jpg

Parasite on asteroid drawing folks to fight.png

People not drawn to fight parasite panicking.jpg

578d0040d1387_Snarkyparasiteinspace.jpg.

578d0040e369f_Parasiteonasteroiddrawingf

578d0040eacb6_Peoplenotdrawntofightparas

My favorite pathetic disaster happened right at the beginning. My crew just finished a basic base (Oxygen recyclers, Rifinery, Airlock) EXCEPT for some reason the crew decided they should build the airlock suit locker last. Unfortunately, due to some faulty logic, the guy inside the base refused to enter the airlock (because there was no locker from which to get a suit?) and the two outside wouldn't come in because there was no place to put their suits(?) and asphyxiated. Needless to say, I restarted my base pretty soon after that...

Here's a few of mine up until now:

1. Being attacked by a duo of raiders. Security forces are on the hunt and chasing them down. For reasons beyond me the raiders head to the airlock and leave the station. As they're flying to somewhere, security forces continue to shoot at them. Security forces shoot out 3 wall sections of the bar. All but one of the crew is sucked out in to space. MFW -_-

2. Explore a derelict with 2 security personnel. Upon encountering a single raider they both panic and start running around. After the raider finishes with the security force it continues to board my station. Promptly upon the raiders arrival every single crewmember panics and starts running around. MFW I watch my entire crew get killed by a single Raider -_-

Maintenance failure - techs can't enter the life support rooms to repair oxygen recyclers because of oxygen levels spacing them away from the doors...

Maintenance fail catastrophy.png

578d00448f24f_Maintenancefailcatastrophy

I think my best disaster was when the forum ate my reply just now ;_;

But yes.. disasters.

I started an epic construction outside and forgot about it while I went to babysit a security team who ran into awkwardness.

When I came back, pretty much every builder who wasn't sleeping had decided to get in on it. They built the thing in record time, but most of them ran low on air about the same time, and started a mad dash to bottleneck the airlocks. Some died on the way, some died inside in their suits.. some outside. One blew other unsuited crew out the airlock they were going for somehow.

The event cost me a whole lotta skilled builders. Its effects still reverberate through my base - the crew were hit by a wave of depression, then a wave of exploding equipment as the techs did their thing. The exploding equipment was mostly oxygen recyclers, so when the fires sucked up most of the air, there was little to replace it and for a while the mourning crew alternated between panicking, being blown around by pressure gradients and practicing their usual infuriating calisthenics. The techs mostly stood around chatting about their loss while the flames licked up the walls around them and the faulty equipment they were standing beside grew ever-closer to doom.

I managed to demolish enough damaged equipment that the situation came largely under control. There's oxygen recyclers desperately in need of construction, but the builders who reached the airlocks first immediately went to bed and they've stayed there throughout the ensuing chaos. I'm sure they've had a big day and need their sleepy time.. Time to fiddle that roster.

Speaking of fiddles.. all the techs need one, so they can play while Space Rome burns around them.

Maintenance failure - techs can't enter the life support rooms to repair oxygen recyclers because of oxygen levels spacing them away from the doors...

Looks like the bartender just poisoned everyone.

Minor disaster, really not sure how a bedroom caught fire.....maybe the bed? Someone smoking? ....'cause a bed 'wearing out' shouldn't burst into flames...........right?

I've never seen so many flames. in one room. It breached space and snuffed itself out later.

This was happening while the rest of the base was falling apart.

2013-11-07_00008.jpg

2013-11-07_00008.jpg.90d9fd97f18a12c8c0f

Recent Disaster:

Derelict arrived near my base.

I built a long corridor to it for integration.

Derelict had a pub at the far side and a o2 facility next to it.

Decided to keep the pub and deck it out with all the essentials, but removed the o2 as I had a large centralised o2 hub.

Everyone flocked to the new pub.

Everyone asphyxiated.

Obviously the o2 levels are affected by consumption. In this case the consumption sky-rocketed. What i didn't think about is how the supply is managed. Cleverly the game seems to rely on surface area or flow area to provide o2 to facilities. I.e. if you have a long corridor, the o2 supply is much less than a fat width ways corridor.

It was shamefully gratifying to learn this game mechanic when at least 10 crew members perished! Some even tried to escape to deep space via the airlock!

Welp ,i was building my base in a square and suddenly a pirate docked with my ship, i was able to lock the way to get to my base fast enough, however, a second raider ship docked on the other side of my base.

Then, as if in a joint effort, all the raiders shot open the locked up areas and assaulted my base on both sides, there were, unfortunately, no survivors except the raiders of course. who promptly explored the base looking for stragglers..

they found none.

Welp ,i was building my base in a square and suddenly a pirate docked with my ship, i was able to lock the way to get to my base fast enough, however, a second raider ship docked on the other side of my base.

Then, as if in a joint effort, all the raiders shot open the locked up areas and assaulted my base on both sides, there were, unfortunately, no survivors except the raiders of course. who promptly explored the base looking for stragglers..

they found none.

Haha, the old pincher move.. works every time ;D I don't get many pirates in my zone but, I do constantly get religious nuts knocking at my doors trying to preach the gospel.. =) I've taken to hanging 'No Soliciting' signs outside my base but, they just ignore them..

I had a bit of a disasters earlier. admittedly it was almost entirely my fault...

So I had some religious nuts show up and decide it was time to convert me, they then of course dock their ship right onto my pub. I then think to myself, "great, I can test this emergency alarm out." I switch it on and no one really seemed to react to it at all. I of course then think it's not really working and go on with the business of dealing with the raiders. After killing them off, I then start locking down their ship and demolishing the unwanted add on. (Forgetting that I ever turned the alarm in the pub on) After quite some time passed I notice all 60+ citizens in my base were now 'deeply sad' and starting to really slack off at their jobs. Baffled by this, I started to try to figure out why everyone was so suddenly demoralized , when I noticed my pub was completely empty and the lights where flashing... apparently the alarm had been working and no one was able to go into the pub to get food or drinks for a good 45 minutes..

Long story short, the base collapsed and I've had to restart anew... good times =)

Sign in to follow this