Sign in to follow this  
Asif Siddiky

Sidequest: "What I Wish I Could Have Done Then..." [Peter McConnell]

Hey guys, we're in the final stage of post-production on Episode 12 (Color / Audio Mixing) and are waiting on some content clearance before it can be released. While you're waiting, here's a short Sidequest of material from composer Peter McConnell's interview that didn't make it into Episode 11. There's an extended look at his home studio and a few of his favorite instruments, backstories on his musical influences and career path to LucasArts, and a few more teases from the score in Shay's world.

[vimeo]77864441[/vimeo]

1:12 -

1:25 - More of Eric Aceto's handcrafted instruments

3:05 - the full short "IBM: Once Upon a Punched Card"

4:58 - Not difficult to hear the lines connecting the soundtracks for

and

5:25 - Even more so with Duke Ellington's

6:08 -

from the Psychonauts OST. You can read more about Twelve-tone here

6:38 - You've definitely heard Sons of the Pioneers before

9:54 -

Another Sidequest! :-) perfect companion to my morning croissant!

It's quite interesting how integral music is to a game's identity. I remember playing Grim Fandango and the music was so much a part of the game's atmosphere and blended so well with the art style and storytelling that it felt like such a complete experience for me. Hell, that game even made me want to open my own piano bar, no joke, it was that inspirational.

I'm excited to see what kind of identity Peter will instil in Broken Age :-)

Fantastic! I'll make sure to watch this tomorrow morning after i get some much needed rest =D

Fantastic episode. Peter comes off as such a great & cool guy. Love his scores!

Fun! The snippets sound nice, and I loved the small history of sound in games. Can't wait for episode 12!

As with Peter Chan, Khris Brown, and Ron Gilbert, Peter McConnell was one of those names I saw in the credits in all my favorite LucasArts games. I guess LucasArts was really good about allowing for opening credits, which you pretty much never see otherwise. It's very cool that members of the old gang still work with Tim and even better as a legacy fan to finally meet them.

Finally got to watch this! I loved all of it as a former musician myself. Can't wait to hear the final soundtrack for the game when its release!

Also really can't wait to see Episode 12! *boards the Episode 12 hype train*

maxresdefault.jpg

Awesome! Great music. Looking forward to hearing more of it when the game is finished!

Finally got to watch this! I loved all of it as a former musician myself. Can't wait to hear the final soundtrack for the game when its release!

Also really can't wait to see Episode 12! *boards the Episode 12 hype train*

maxresdefault.jpg

4627441951_01e1b61845_z.jpg

Working on it!

Oh man. The link to the Grim Fandango Soundtrack.

Scrimshaw. So great. So ponderously fun.

Lost Soul's Alliance. So smooth.

Bone Wagon. Yes.

Hearing the music is the first time I've been really excited to PLAY this game, rather than watch it being made. Some awesome sounds in there.

A short sidequest and still interesting. It's always fun for me as a technical person to watch a more artistic guy (or gal!) create something new. It's so similar and yet so different from when I create something (be it a high level design of some middleware or some mildly complicated electronics stuff).

Also, when Peter mentioned the Sound Blaster, I looked at my old Gravis on the shelf... good buddy lost out to SB, just like Beta lost to VHS :-)

If only they could've worked out how to do the SB emulation with less resources. *sigh* "SBOS installed"

Cool to see an Sidequest about Peter.

I was not aware that the creator of the legendary Grim Fandango soundtrack is involved in Broken Age :-D.

Absolutely loved that soundtrack, it made me dive into jazz music, quite uncommon for the average teenager in Germany I was back then.

In fact, I have been misusing "Bone Wagon" as my cell phone ringtone ever since I discovered soundtracks.mixnmojo.com several years ago. And surprisingly, I never got bored of it - it says a lot about the quality of Peter's work.

Thanks for the interesting sidequest, always great to get known a little of the authors of Broken Age!

When I saw this come across the kickstarter update I was hooked. I've been a huge fan of Peter McConnell for years, and to hear him talk about his background and influences really explained how he could come up with the perfect feel for each scene.

I had such a stupid grin on my face when he found the sheet music to two of my favorite Psychonauts levels.

I think I've heard that metal version of the "Imperial March"! Or at least, one rendition of it.

Peter's daughter is adorable.

"People who say they like all types of music, but what they really mean is anything from Led Zeppelin to AC/DC." I think I'm more diverse in taste than those people, but definitely less well-versed than Peter. Though I'm finding out I like a lot of genres I never knew existed (thank you very much, Internet people).

Thanks for all of these videos, 2PP. Always brings a warm fuzzy feeling into my heart whenever I watch them.

Another lovely sidequest. Thanks guys! It was really nice to get a look into Peter's life and work :D

I think I've heard that metal version of the "Imperial March"! Or at least, one rendition of it.

Here you go ^_^

fhuE09XP-m4

I was just enthralled this entire video. This is precisely the type of thing I would want to do with my life if I was more proficient at music. I mean, I guess that is what school is for, but still. I absolutely love seeing musicians' work spaces and how they work in them.

They're selling the soundtrack for this game aren't they?

Working on the music for games must be rather weird, it's so integral but often gets ignored by the end user. Then on the other hand you've got fans enjoying the music of games 20 years old while the pop-bands of the day are forgotten.

They're selling the soundtrack for this game aren't they?

Working on the music for games must be rather weird, it's so integral but often gets ignored by the end user. Then on the other hand you've got fans enjoying the music of games 20 years old while the pop-bands of the day are forgotten.

We will sell it, yeah. Our game soundtracks are up at http://doublefine.bandcamp.com/

Sign in to follow this