Double Fine Action Forums
Sign in to follow this  
musketeer

[Suggestion] Air vents and ventilation.

I'm not really sure if it's possible, but I think adding a ventilation system fro the base would add a bit of depth to the base building so you'll actually have to design it well.

A pro of this idea is that it means you can have one big life support room, so your technicians don't have to wander around the base being negligent of all of the vital system. It also means that making death-rooms for dangerous crew members and raiders is easier. Your bases will have to have some thought put into them to ensure that oxygen gets into rooms. Rooms with closed doors should be effectively air tight, seeing as it's in space, the same way submarine doors are all water tight.

If disease is ever implemented, you would have to build a closed life-support system for all the ill crew, or risk infecting your entire crew. I think this would be pretty fun, along with other disasters, such as meteorites cutting open the ventilation pipes and leaking your precious oxygen into space, and would make the game far more exciting.

I know this is a proof of concept, but I was thinking that the ventilation could be on a different plane to the main base, similar to SimCity 4, where you need to control the water supply underground through pump stations.

Tell me what you think, it's just an early idea, but it's something I would really enjoy having in the game.

I love it. Being able to cut oxygen to that one room where the raiders are, hoping they don't manage to break down the door before they asphyxiate seems like a great feature.

It also brings up another interesting possibility.

What if I deliberately or accidentally cut oxygen to a crew member? Potentially, this could turn them into raiders, as they would loose all trust in their fellow crew members.

When someone is dangerously sick/infexted you could suddenly have options.

Cut oxygen hoping to save your base, only to have them use their high level security skills loose, break the door down, and going berserk on the others.

Or, hope that the doctor manages to cure them.

FTL sort of has a similar mechanic. You can effectively put out fires or hurt baddies by having thick doors and opening an outside door, and any internal doors for other rooms, to let the oxygen escape out. It's pretty useful in FTL, and anything similar could be fun for Spacebase.

Smiles

FTL sort of has a similar mechanic. You can effectively put out fires or hurt baddies by having thick doors and opening an outside door, and any internal doors for other rooms, to let the oxygen escape out. It's pretty useful in FTL, and anything similar could be fun for Spacebase.

Smiles

The problem with FTL's system is that you can't isolate specific rooms. A ventilation system would not only let you drain a central room of your base of oxygen, it would also open up other possibilities that have already been discussed. I attempted an FTL-like system by rigging up a ring of corridor around the base, where I would open an airlock, drain the corridor, then drain a certain room. This worked to some extent, but the oxygen levels never got below 30, and it affected other rooms, which resulted in my entire crew panicking and half the base burning.

I don't know how the current oxygen system works, but it's a bit funny sometimes. For example, I tried draining all of the corridors in my base, but one of the life support rooms started losing oxygen while the other didn't. It was probably a bug, but it seemed as though the oxygen generation was centralised around the 1st room I'd built, so regardless of the spacing of the other life support rooms, oxygen was still spread thin on the outer sections of my base.

I like this idea, perhaps it could be implemented as an expensive option for larger bases?

And hey-- a little crawl space like that could pose it's own threats... Imagine a space bug getting into one of those, and having it's own special route around the base!

And you might never know where it'll pop out next...

I watched Alien again a little while ago, so it seems like a good idea to me haha

I love it. Being able to cut oxygen to that one room where the raiders are, hoping they don't manage to break down the door before they asphyxiate seems like a great feature.

It also brings up another interesting possibility.

If you lock down a room by clicking the button in the room inspector, it will lock all doors and cut off oxygen.

If you lock down a room by clicking the button in the room inspector, it will lock all doors and cut off oxygen.
Great! Though, would it be possible to add evacuate-then-lock mechanics too? Not having a way to mark a room as unsafe-do-not-enter-or-if-already-inside-leave really hurts since we're unable to actually order our guys around. Another couple of features I would like to have is marking areas as always-wear-a-suit areas, so that my folks stay suited up despite going through the airlock on ships, and that suited individuals can actually open sealed regular doors if the doors have been set to allow that.

Great! Though, would it be possible to add evacuate-then-lock mechanics too? Not having a way to mark a room as unsafe-do-not-enter-or-if-already-inside-leave really hurts since we're unable to actually order our guys around. Another couple of features I would like to have is marking areas as always-wear-a-suit areas, so that my folks stay suited up despite going through the airlock on ships, and that suited individuals can actually open sealed regular doors if the doors have been set to allow that.

Better yet would be some more fine grained options, like set the room to panic, so people flee in terror. Also quarantine to stop people going in/out. And toggles for life support, so rooms don't get replenished, but folks could still walk through them for short periods. Also lighting effects would be needed for each condition, like red halls for no life support, flashing for panic...

Would love an option to drop rooms off the base if they are not directly connected to others, so the space worm ends up like the Incredible Hulk retention cell in the Avengers. Smashed into an asteroid.

I'm in favour of this idea. I made a big post a while ago here and ventilation was one of the main things - I think it would be a lot more interesting being able to pipe gasses around with vents and scrubbers rather than just having it automatically spread room to room (it makes sense that it transfers between rooms too, but not as the only option). It would also be nice because it would let you run ventilation ducts through space to spread oxygen to areas of your base that aren't directly linked to your atmospherics room (say if you have a little mining/refinery module off near a bunch of asteroids).

Basically I'd want to have an atmospherics room that looks something like this: http://wiki.ss13.eu/images/4/49/Atmospherics.png

Sign in to follow this